Bianchi WUSS Singlespeed

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Double-you stands for white. We liked the RockShox Reba Team color so much we matched our purse to our shoes, tie to our socks, hat to our belt and frame to our fork. No gears. No fears. Free beers. It's been 9 years. But who's counting. You try to name all of them.

Style: Single-speed MTB
Sizes: 13.5, 15.5, 17.5, 19.5, 21.5"
Color: Athena White
Frames: Easton Ultralite Aluminum, rear entry dropouts
Fork: RockShox Reba Team, 85mm travel
Retail Price: $1339.99 (complete bike)

Submitted by GottaGo

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2013

Strengths:    I'm a New Englander. This bike is my go to ride for the majority of my local riding where I face rocky, rooty technical sh*t that makes you earn your rewards.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
To be honest, my WUSS (my riding buds say that stands for "wicked ugly single speed....") has been fully updated with Mavic CrossMax tubeless wheels and a Manitou Minute Fork, LX cranks, etc. Granted my climbs are not for ever...., however, the WUSS climbs with anyone for the majority of my rides, and pointing downhill it sticks with anyone as well. Its just a great frigging bike!

If you have the chance to get one, grab it and make it your own. You will be a happy rider.

Submitted by SEP a Weekend Warrior from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2007

Strengths:    Sweet fork with all the adjustments and IMO a very nice looking bike. 10lbs lighter than my FS all-mountain type bike.

Weaknesses:    The wheel/tire combo seems heavy. The rear wheel is harder to remove than I would have thought but with practice that will become second nature. The headset is cheap - the little rubber dust seal was falling off before first ride.

Bottom Line:
It's so much fun to ride. Started out on smooth XC trails but soon took it to the steeper, more technical trails - no problem. I thought I would need to change the rear cog to an 18T or 20T but the stock 2:1 gear ratio is spot on. Also thought I would immediately swap to hydraulic brakes but the Avid mechanicals work well. Well worth the $$ so 5 chilis for value. 4 chilis overall since the wheels could be lighter and headset could be better. You don't have to be super fit to enjoy singlespeeding. Its' fast, fun, quiet, efficient, and low maintenance. Get one and hit the trails.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   None. First SS.

Bike Setup:   Stock with eggbeaters & will change out headset soon.

Submitted by Parfilator a Cross Country Rider from Mount Vernon, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2007

Strengths:    Good component package for the price. Great frame and fork.

Weaknesses:    Some parts a little heavy but what do you expect for under $900.

Bottom Line:
I was going to wait until end of 2007 to get a deal on the LEWIS but found the WUSS at JensonUSA for $879 so I couldn't wait. The WUSS and LEWIS are very similar as long as your not crazy about color (WUSS white, LEWIS Punishmint).

I only have a couple rides on this bike but it is VERY fun. This is a very responsive bike that wants to go. For a hardtail it rides pretty nice with the ExiWolf 2.1 tires and the WTB Pure V seat taking the edge off the small stuff. The mechanical disc brakes seem to be fine even though I'm use to hydraulics on my FS. The Reba fork is also great as it has compression damping that helps to stiffen up the front for out of the saddle efforts.

The first upgrade I plan to make is a new set of wheels which will take a couple pounds off after I ride these stock ones into the ground. I most likely will go back to Dave's Speedream for a set for singlespeed as I was very happy with the set I purchased for my (FS) two years ago from Dave (Chris Kings ISO Disc Hubs/Bontreager Mustang hoops).

All in all this is a great bike for the price and very upgradeable when the time is right. Highly recommended!

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   My 1st SS.

Bike Setup:   Stock 21.5 Bianchi WUSS with Time ATAC pedals.

Submitted by Jim Frazier a Racer from Indianapolis

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2006

Strengths:    $ and this bike flys even on the hilly stuff. Fork works great and you can't beat Easton tubing and now I'm a firm believer in disk brakes. I even bought a Bianchi World Cup off the Bianchi Rep.

Weaknesses:    Its alittle fat but alittle bit of money will fix that. Changed the Bars, Stem to Easton and changed the tires. Will be changing the wheel set next year for weight savings.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line I would recommend this bike to everyone that is looking to get into the SS market and train on in or even race on it. 1-10 this bike is a 9.5.

Favorite Trail:   96th st., Brown Co.,Westwood

Purchased At:   Mathews Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   1997 Schwinn Homegrown Factory.

Submitted by TAMAS a Cross Country Rider from LAGUNA HILLS

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Strengths:    VERY LIGHT, RESPONSIV, WELL BALANCED

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
PEFECT TRAINING BIKE, FUN TO RIDE, NO MAINTENANCE, AND IT'S A BIANCHI!

Purchased At:   BIKE FACTORY

Similar Products Used:   SURLY 1X1

Bike Setup:   STOCK, EXEPT REAR COG CHANGED TO 20

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Vero Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2006

Strengths:    Light weight, nice geometery and solid components for the price.

Weaknesses:    Have some doubts about the durability of the external BB and wet/swampy/sandy conditions found in FL but haven't experienced any problems yet. The Reba is nice but I prefer the 2005 Marzocchi Marathon XC on my geared bike.

Bottom Line:
Very responsive and fast due to the light weight. A great bike for the price and fun to ride. Perfect for the terrain and conditions in FL, but will ride fine in all conditions if you find the right gear combination and are in shape.

Favorite Trail:   8th Ave

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport

Similar Products Used:   My first single speed. All the cool kids are going SS.

Bike Setup:   Trimmed the bar width a bit, they were very w i d e although the extra torque may be needed for long climbs.

Submitted by BECKY a Racer from Bozeman, MT USA

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2006

Strengths:    The FORK!! Totally stable bike!!
I own the G.U.S.S. which is the predecessor to the W.U.S.S.

Weaknesses:    NONE!! Comes with some heavier parts.

Bottom Line:
I highly suggest this SS for an out of the box, fun bike to ride. A few part changes and you've got yourself a race ready bike. I suggest having a mechanic show you how to change the rear wheel if you are not bike saavy.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock Swamp

Purchased At:   GEORGES CYCLES

Bike Setup:   Changed to flat FSA handlebar, Thompson Masterpiece seatpost to lighten the bike up a few LBs.

Submitted by Tim Leech a Weekend Warrior from Lake Forest, CA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2006

Strengths:    Light well built good components

Weaknesses:    I don't have anything to compare it to as I have been riding Santa Cruz Hecklers 1997 and 2004. My test rides were "parking lot" trials.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the bike to strenthen my riding skills, legs and endurance. I was concerned about going back to a hardtail and 85mm fork before I purchased it but have found the bike to perform very well on the same trails I ride my Heckler. I have riden it 3-4 times. The fork surprised me. The avid brakes perform a little different than my hayes hydraulics but I do like the ease of adjustability. This has been a good move and a fun ride. I would recommend this bike to anyone not already riding a single speed. It is a better choice than converting your hard tail. I also looked and "parking lot" tested the Gary Fisher 29r, Niner and Kona. I am extremely happy with my choice. The low maintenance feature of single speeding is a great benefit. You do loose downhill speed but get a good upper body work out that you don't experience seated on a geared bike.

Favorite Trail:   Old Camp

Purchased At:   The Bike Company

Bike Setup:   Stock - reba 85mm fork, avid mechanical brakes, truvativ cranks. Changed the rear free wheel from a 17 go a 20.

Am I a wuss?

Rode Green Lane Blue Trail... Some of those drops gave me pause and I am ashamed to admit I walked my fair share... Granted first time on the trail in many many years but man I used to ride that trail on a rigid singlespeed... Maybe I have selected memory of how much I had to dismount back in my ... Read More »

Wuss with a Coban dependency

Did this about 6 wks ago. I keep it wrapped in Coban to keep the swelling down and stretch & flex it multiple times every day and it's finally getting better. The wifey is a Physical Therapist and has been threatening me with reverse knuckle bender treatments. It's been easier to grip the hoods ... Read More »

Freewheel to Fixed Conv Bianchi Wuss

So I have a Bianchi Wuss SS that has been begging for a fixed wheel for years... What would I be looking at $ wise to build a wheel? Or can someone point to a web dealer that sells 26" fixed rear mountain bike wheels? Google hasn't turned up much... Appreciate your help!Read More »

Bianchi DISS/SASS/GUSS/WUSS tug nuts needed

Anyone have a nice/complete set they don't need? Any leads appreciated, PM me. Look like this, were OEM on Bianchi SS bikes, need the aluminum stepped washers too. ( I know I use something else, or nothing, just want a set for a project)Read More »

should I bring my Bianchi WUSS to college?

hey guys, i got my Bianchi WUSS single speed bike last summer. i took it to my local trails nearly every day, but when i left for college in september, the bike stayed home. currently, i am using an old trek hardtail for transportation, but its very small and i miss the bianchi. would it b ... Read More »