Bianchi S.A.S.S. Singlespeed

4.44/5 (36 Reviews)

Submitted by natemagoo a Cross Country Rider from dallas, tx. usa

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2010

Strengths:    USED FOR COMMUTING... fun, simple, light, fast, good components, gets lots of good comments... i love flying past those packs of gay road bikers in their tighties while on my single speed...

Weaknesses:    I have no complaints, BUT, to be picky... after 7 years and over 40k miles of commuting to work, i've determined 2 things i wish this bike had, caliper brakes and bigger rim circumference... the disc brakes have, however, never needed ANY maintenance!!! but i think the caliper brakes would be lighter, and also.. as w/ most ss bikes, the chain needs extra care

Bottom Line:
I replaced my car with this bike and I have put many miles on this bike in the 7 years and have saved TONS of money with this bike. It is how I get to work.. rain or shine or snow or whatever.. Its been fun. Its been more dependable than a car. It has needed little or no maintenance. Its been neglected and kkeps on rolling, except for the few times i've polished the chrome to blind the onlookers!

Favorite Trail:   trinity river levee system

Purchased At:   Richardson Bike Mart

Similar Products Used:   giant sedona that was stolen, but... thats okay

Bike Setup:   i immediately put on Cane Creek bar ends to ease hand fatigue and Shimano PD-M424 pedals.. the best thing i did for this bike was replace the stock Mutano Raptor tires with MAXXIS XENITH 26X1.5... and puncture proof tubes.

Submitted by subafly a Cross Country Rider from Cheney, Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2010

Strengths:    Super light, very responsive, aggressive or mellow depending on your mood. The disks brakes are really easy to adjust. You can ride it every day!

Weaknesses:    Chain line is terrible! headset seems weak.

Bottom Line:
There hasn't been a day that I haven't rode this bike since I got it. Its really fun and mashes over just about everything. It does need some upgrades if your planning on riding trails with any sort of technical riding. Probably fine for smooth single track though. Currently looking into a better headset, front suspension (although I do like the stiffy) and somehow fix the terrible chain line. Whats with that any way. Other than that its great! MAKES you ride faster, farther, longer!

Favorite Trail:   Sewage pond loop!

Purchased At:   craigslist

Bike Setup:   Stock accept some specialized crossroads armadillo tires 26x1.95, Kona platform pedals which came on the bike.

Submitted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel a Cross Country Rider from FTC, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2009

Strengths:    bang for buck

Weaknesses:    cheesy looking welds and flimsy looking drop outs

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike and rode it hard for over a year, I rode it SS and Fixed Mtn. It did great, The fork kinda sucked and I had to unwind the frt skewer several turns everytime I took my wheel off. The rear drop-outs indented from tightening the rear wheel down to a reasonable torque. but all in all it rode great and was one of my all time favorite bikes. The fit could not have been better on a non custom frame. rigid is awesome if you don't mind a little pain on the decent. I liked the bike alot and for the price its hard to beat.

Favorite Trail:   trail of bread crumbs

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   raliegh XXIX, geared hardtails

Bike Setup:   2004 SASS w/rigid OEM fork, cane creek S-3, Avid BB7s, fat tires 2.35 frt, 2.2 rear, nothing else special

Submitted by SlowRoller a Cross Country Rider from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2009

Strengths:    Light, quality steel tubing, durable components, great ride quality.

Weaknesses:    Heavy wheels, chrome finish, the fact that it's not a 29er.

Bottom Line:
A great ride for the price. If you want a to try a single speed and are strapped for cash, give this rig a try.

Favorite Trail:   Phil's World

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Soma Juice 29er, Vassago Jabberwocky

Bike Setup:   Easton XC One Wheelset, WTB Stout 2.3 tires, WTB Silverado Saddle, EC70 Zero Seatpost, Easton Monkey Lite Bar, Avid Elixir Brakes, Race Face Crank

Submitted by sthersh a Racer from carmel, indiana, usa

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2008

Strengths:    Two words: Aggressive Geometry.

Weaknesses:    Wheels, saddle, pedals.

Bottom Line:
The SASS is a lovely ride. Whether popping out for a coffee or pounding tight, fast single track, this single speed is set up for performance. Fast in the turns and confident in climbing very steep (50 degree) inclines, it doesn't give an inch. The SASS is also extremely confident in tracking and reacting to rapid shifts in weight/balance and direction. More often than not I am able to outpace riders on full suspension due to a tight, superior design. Did I mention it is bomb-proof? You can beat it to death and it comes back for more. The best part is apres-ride the downcast look from riders on 21 speed full suspension kits that just got smoked by a guy on a fully rigid, single speed. Okay, I have made a couple of modifications. Still, the soul of the SASS remains. I wouldn't sell it or trade it for anything. Buy one.

Favorite Trail:   nebo ridge

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Corsa road bike. Independent Fabrications Cross bike and a Fat Chance hard tail.

Bike Setup:   Flight Saddle, Continental soft compound/hard pack tires, Mavic 32/28 rims/XTR hi flange single speed hubs, Ritchey Carbon Fiber seat post, Ritchey Carbon Fiber Race Light 120 stem, Easton carbon fiber Monkey riser bars, Zipp custom Carbon Fiber bar ends, Avid Juicy 7 discs, scalloped Avid rotors, 46/18 gearing, SPD pedals, Chris King Ahead Set.

Submitted by jimmy1725 a Cross Country Rider from Napa County

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2008

Strengths:    The Bike climbs like a Goat

Weaknesses:    There shouldn't be weaknesses unless you buy a bike you do not want.

Bottom Line:
Set up correctly, the SASS has become my Favorite bike of all time.

Favorite Trail:   Lower Marie Creek/Manzanita

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi PUSS

Bike Setup:   Truvativ stylo 180mm Cranks, Paul Hubs, Mavic Rims, Thomson stem and seatpost, BB7's, fizik Arione, Rivendell desighned Grip King Pedals

Submitted by elnegro a Weekend Warrior from pittsburgh,pa

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2008

Strengths:    i come from a bmx backround so this bike really gives me that feeling

Weaknesses:    not crazy about integrated seat clamp

Bottom Line:
great bike if u want/like that pure feeling when you ride the SASS should be at the top of your list

Favorite Trail:   whichever one i'm on

Purchased At:   pittsburgh pro bikes

Similar Products Used:   this is my first ss

Bike Setup:   changed too 711mm h-bar,velo saddle,bear trap pedal,shorter stem

Submitted by westernslop a Cross Country Rider from Grand Junction, CO

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2008

Strengths:    The steel is strong and smooth. The gear ratio is perfect for all day riding and weekends at the resorts make you strong.

Weaknesses:    None to date

Bottom Line:
I first rode this bike fully ridiged, which was fine if you wanted a lighter bike that turned really fast. But I found I was able to incresse my speed going both uphill and down with more control and pleasure with a front fork.
I had an old F80RLC on ther and it was perfect. I tried to get a new one but all FOX had left were F100s. Which I have ridden on a few trails and can feel the benfit of longer travel, but it really does not belong on this bike and slows the handling down considerbly.
Bottom Line: Riding without gears has let me refoucs on why I ride, and for a long time mtn. rider it has been a very refreshing feeling.

Favorite Trail:   Holly Cross (Lunch Loop)

Purchased At:   Ruby Canyon Cycles

Similar Products Used:   My last bike was a 13 year old GT Pantera. Pretty differnt ride feel, but similar geomerty. Classic XC race.

Bike Setup:   Chris King headset. 09' Fox F100RLC (going to space it down to 80mm). Time Atacks. Specilized sadle. Specilized Fast Track Pros. Yeit Hard Core grips.

Submitted by Chris Krenz a Cross Country Rider from Stevens Point, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight even though the frame is steel. The tires are the best I've ever ridden. They grip in sand, mud, snow, and dry dirt and corner perfectly. Nice set of BB7 disc brakes which are great in wet conditions. The crank is solid and responsive.

Weaknesses:    The rear slotted dropouts allow for the rear wheel to displace itself in hard stops. Because the bolts holding the wheel on are so large I need to carry a large wrench with me for every ride. The headset is subpar and the seat wore out pretty fast.

Bottom Line:
If you want a steel, rigid singlespeed that's light and still offers stabilty and a solid ride this is a great choice. Bianchi doesn't sell these anymore but if you find a used one, I say, "pull the trigger and grab it."

Favorite Trail:   9-Mile (Wausau, WI)

Purchased At:   Hostel Shoppe

Similar Products Used:   I test rode a Raleigh XXIX and they were both comfortable but the SASS was less expensive.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for the pedals. I added some Carnk Bros Candy Cs.

Submitted by Jimmy from St Paul, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2007

Strengths:    Only 24 pounds! Steel frame, RIGID FORK!, old school... The disc brakes seem pretty cool, too.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Okay, so I hadn't even looked at a bike in close to ten years but I let some coworkers talk me into getting one. I test rode several different Gary Fishers but neither the Genesis Geometry nor the front suspension agreed with me. Just for kicks and giggles I tried out a Raleigh "XXIV": steel frame, rigid fork, 29-inch wheels, single speed. Simply put, nnniiiccceee, but the local chain-store/bike shop didn't have my size.
If you haven't figured it out yet, I'm not all that impressed with the flashy new gadgets slapped on bikes nowadays. Riding that Raleigh confirmed what I had always known true: I love to FEEL the road (or the trail, as it were). A suspension fork in the flat state of Minnesota is just an excuse for those who would overlook bike-handling skills.
I knew single-speed bikes had a definite fan following and it's something out-on-the-fringes-different so that sounded interesting. And there's no other way to put it: a steel bike just has soul, man!
Disc brakes; I could take 'em or leave 'em. Twenty-nine-inch wheels have that same allure as the single-speed but I wasn't sold on them and it seemed to overkill the fringe-factor to combine them with the SS.
Anyway (off my soapbox), like I said the shop was out. So I headed over to U.S. National Time Trial Champion Dan Casebeer's shop and, lo and behold, they had this little chrome gem, the Bianchi "S.A.S.S.", right in my size. I bought it the next day after digging my old "Dominator 2's" out of the closet.
This beauty-of-a-bike is a llliiiggghhhttt 24 lbs and it carves corners like butta. In fact, I'm a little nervous that I'm going to launch myself over the bars it corners so fast. This is my first exposure to disc brakes and I have no complaints; they're supposed to be pretty good ones as far as mechanical go.
My only hesitant complaint about the bike so far is that I feel like I'm centered a little too far forward.
Otherwise, add my five stars to the long list of SASS lovers on this page.
If you're looking for a quality single-speed that adds an equal share of fun and challenge to your routine, this is the bike for you.

Purchased At:   Grand Performance

Similar Products Used:   Test rode several Gary Fishers: Wahoo, Marlin, Tassajara (sans discs), and a Montare. Also tried out a (too) small Raleigh "XXIV".

Bike Setup:   Stock except for my 10-year-old Time "A.T.A.C." pedals.

Submitted by steve Curren a Cross Country Rider from chicago

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2007

Strengths:    nice riding frame, while it lasts...

Weaknesses:    frame broke- I weigh 150lbs, and ride recreational XC. My local bike mechanic inspected the break, at the junction of the drive side chain stay and bottom bracket- he thought the weld was faulty- contacted Bianchi and they told me to get lost. Bad customer service

Bottom Line:
Quality control at Bianchi is not up to scratch.

Similar Products Used:   Kona Unit, Surly 1x1

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Will Ghormley from Des Moines, Iowa

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2007

Strengths:    Rigid Frame, Single Speed, Disc Breaks

Weaknesses:    Flat Land

Bottom Line:
For a broke-down cowboy pushin' 50 who's been part of real mountain bikin' from the git-go: the SASS is the ultimate, tear-'em-up, bulletproof, trail-bustin', man-handelin', indestructable, testosterone-pumpin', adrenelin-injected,off-road, two-wheeled machine.

Favorite Trail:   old science center trails

Purchased At:   Boulevard Sports

Similar Products Used:   Pioneered Home-made Mountain Bikes in Durango, Colo in the late '70-early '80. Shwinn, Pugot, Trek

Bike Setup:   Stock except for: Bulletproof cleated pedals, Serfas Stabilizer handlebar end caps, two water bottles, bike pump, fully stocked emergency tool and repair kit under seat, and up-graded break pads.

Submitted by Landon a Weekend Warrior from Columbus, OH USA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2007

Strengths:    Bianchi chromo frame, Avid disc breaks, Easton stem and bars.

Weaknesses:    WTB tires and the sorta cheap headset and pedals.

Bottom Line:
Strong, fast, and buttery frame. This bike is all about the frame. I have not had it out on the trails yet (I'm waiting for it to dry up here in Columbus) but riding on the streets has been fun.

Favorite Trail:   Alum Creek

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   None, my last mountain bike was a Giant Rainier SE.

Bike Setup:   Stock, however I want/need to replace that shinny seat and get a pair of clipless pedals.

Submitted by RACINGMIX a Weekend Warrior from Concord, California

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2006

Strengths:    Ladies Love It - Bling - Italian Style - Yuppies Love It

Weaknesses:    Steel is Real...and it Rusts.

Bottom Line:
So sick I think I need my medication. The pix are here: http://singlespeedgallery.com/340-racingmix-bianchi-sweet-ass-single-speed-sass/

P.S. Patrick Leal is the man!

Favorite Trail:   Urban Assault