Bianchi MUSS Singlespeed

3.88/5 (16 Reviews)

M.U.S.S. is son of S.A.S.S., who is the son of S.I.S.S. The whole fam damily of single-speeds is made of steel, unlike their kissin' cousins, B.O.S.S, B.A.S.S., C.U.S.S., B.U.S.S., D.I.S.S., G.U.S.S., P.U.S.S., and the newborn, W.U.S.S., who are made of aluminum. Even though there is a fair amount of arm-wrestling over who is tougher, they all get out there and show it to the boys and girls with 27 gears. M.U.S.S. got more urban-cool this year, with the switch to WTB All-Terrainasaurus 1.95 tires and more old-school-cool with white panel decals.

Style: Single-speed MTB Sizes: 13.5, 15.5, 17.5, 19.5, 21.5" Color: Grey Blue Frame: Bianchi DB CrMo, rear entry dropouts Fork: CrMo Retail Price: $849.99(complete bike)

Submitted by KChuck a Cross Country Rider from Arvada, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2011

Strengths:    Tires, wheels, frame, crank.

Weaknesses:    Noisy rear hub.

Bottom Line:
SS bikes are where its at. I used to only ride road bikes, but I began searching for a rigid mtn bike. I use this bike as my daily commuter. This bike kicks ass. It is fast and very light. Could do without the "your bike sucks" on the frame though. But this bike rips. Period.

Favorite Trail:   Pounding pavement

Purchased At:   Black Market (Craigs

Similar Products Used:   Kona Unit

Bike Setup:   Dimension headset, salsa 36 cog chainring front, 14 rear cog back.

Submitted by Cozza a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati, OH

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2008

Strengths:    Good parts spec stock. Stiff frame.

Weaknesses:    Stock tires would not seat for me. Not good for local trails

Bottom Line:
Great, inexpensive single speed. Better feeling than some geared bikes I have ridden. Has held up to all my abuse without any complaints. Very sturdy and easy to ride. Sizing was right on for me from the box. Great for those looking for their first single speed (like I was) and don't want to go to the trouble of custom building one. This thing has definitely gotten me hooked on single speeding and it seems like it's going to last me for a long time!

Favorite Trail:   Any trail

Purchased At:   Montgomery Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Recon Race. Candy pedals

Submitted by Mckshred a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2008

Strengths:    Good Stiff Frame.

Weaknesses:    Cheap OEM Parts: Headset, Stem, Seatpost, Seat, Handlebars all Bianchi cheapies. Paint nicks easily.

Bottom Line:
If you can get a good deal it's worth it. I wanted to get into the SS market for $1000 or less and be 'problem free' for a year of riding. I ditched all the Bianchi pilot parts: (rigid fork, stem, bars, headset, seat, seatpost, saddle) added a Fox fork, xtr pedals and it rides much better.
I am looking to replace the Crankset (Travativ) and the Rear Hub/Wheel in the future. I've not had any problems with either (yet) - but according to quite a few posts, it's coming. Plan on swapping out some parts and building this up into a more respectable SS than it is out of the box. But it can be done within a reasonable budget.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   healthyhabits.com

Similar Products Used:   Sycip SS, Intense FS

Bike Setup:   Fox F100, Thomsen Stem & Post, Easton Carbon Bars, Fizik Saddle, XTR SPDs. OEM Wheels, OEM Cranks & OEM BB

Submitted by Russell Rutledge a Cross Country Rider from Norman

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2008

Strengths:    Frame and fork, crank, brakes, wheels.

Weaknesses:    The front wheel bearings in the hub (WTB) just started making noise. This may be due to riding in wet, sandy conditions continuously.

Bottom Line:
Best bike you can buy for the money. The frame handles better than other $1000+ frames I've ridden. I ride it very hard and have yet to even slightly bend a rim. The fork is very forgiving and nimble. Bike is nice enough to upgrade as much as you want. This bike is for any singlespeed junkie. I don't like the color of the new model as well, though. I have the blue with white panels. Buy one!

Favorite Trail:   Clear Bay

Purchased At:   Buchanan Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Have four other Bianchi's.

Bike Setup:   Stock with Ritchey V4's.

Submitted by Zach a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2007

Strengths:    bad *ss bike, responsive, low price,

Weaknesses:    the "your bike sucks" quote

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price, this is my first SS and I'm hooked. Awesome ride, looks sweet, great climber, no complaints.

Favorite Trail:   the crest

Purchased At:   jensonusa

Bike Setup:   swapped out front fork to suspension fork, spd pedals, changed stem and handlebars.

Submitted by Carrie a Cross Country Rider from Crested Butte, co< usa

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2007

Strengths:    inexpensive, some good parts, rides well and won me all the races I've done on it.

Weaknesses:    Heavy for a single speed, not great components. I don't like the fat chain and the rear hub is a tank.

Bottom Line:
Overall, the bike rides and handles pretty well.. The bike seems fast and responsive. However, to lighten it up, plan on spending some cash.

Favorite Trail:   401

Purchased At:   500.00

Similar Products Used:   any other cross country mountain bikes

Bike Setup:   rigid

Submitted by James Bond a Weekend Warrior from London, England

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2007

Strengths:    low cost, availability, strength, old parts kit

Weaknesses:    cheap ass OEM Bianchi rear hub, OEM Bianchi parts (stem, seatpost, handlebars), throw away BB, recalled cranks, poor QC on the head tube machining. The list goes on...

Bottom Line:
Bianchi started the mass production of SS. Off the shelf, these were excellent starter bikes. Hell, many folks raced them and won. Over the years, they have experimented with different parts specs, colors, frame materials, etc. Ultimately, they have settled on a cheaper version. I had everything but the handlebars and seat/post swapped shortly after purchase. The head tube wasn't machined correctly, the BB fell apart, my cranks just fell off one day (no amount of tightening would secure them). The drivetrain skipped and jumped from day one. The LBS tried to repair/replace parts as they discovered them, but Bianchi wouldn't do anything about the rear hub. In the end, I had to shell out for some real parts, and now the bike is rolling along. Shame on Bianchi for moving away from the Spot rear hub, and double shame for not doing a recall on the 06 MUSS. I had 4, count em 4 friends who all experienced the same thing. Reviews on this site will attest. Wake up. You may have market share, but not with lame products like this version of SS.

Favorite Trail:   the next one

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi DISS from 02. Great bike.

Bike Setup:   21.5 in steel Bianchi Muss, updated Spot drivetrain with Carbon Truvativ cranks (replaced due to issues with Gigapipes), CK headset, Marzocchi 80MM Air fork, Time pedals, gucci leopard skin saddle ;)

Submitted by nicolas t a Cross Country Rider from moab utah usa

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2007

Strengths:    awesome ride, got to check it out for yourself,single speeds rock and this one if fast

Weaknesses:    None unless your out of shape,you've just got to upgrade a couple things to suit your riding style

Bottom Line:
Like I said this bike is lots of fun, you've just got to get on this sigle speed band wagon, I currenly live in Moab and yes suspentions and deraillers are good but not all the time....Single speeding is the way to go...

Favorite Trail:   anything with lots of climbing

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   bunch of other bikes, too many to list

Bike Setup:   upgraded to down hill headset , Thomson seatpost, Rock Shock Race SID, better hub, plus other minor stuff

Submitted by Matt Perry a Cross Country Rider from C.A.

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2007

Strengths:    Great climber. Climbs better than any other ssinglespeed I've ridden

Weaknesses:    Components

Bottom Line:
the bike was a great deal at first. after riding it for almost a year the crank gave out. i had to replace it so i upgraded to the stylo( i would reccomend you do that soon). the free hub is crap. in the first place i should have built the surly i wanted in stead of wasting my money on a pile of crap. my next project is a 29er.

Favorite Trail:   marsh tr.

Purchased At:   Breakaway bikes

Similar Products Used:   Redline Monocog

Bike Setup:   Stock except for crankset and front forck

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2007

Strengths:    Simplicity

Weaknesses:    Freehub

Bottom Line:
The freehub made noise (pops, clanks) from day 1. Now that I've ridden the bike about 400 miles, at random times I can spin the cranks 2 or 3 times before it catches. Very disconcerting. Otherwise a blast to ride. I ride it mostly urban, appreciate the steel's forgiveness hopping curbs and on rough pavement. Ratings reflect freehub issue.

Purchased At:   Outback Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Homemade single speed road bike

Submitted by toby a Cross Country Rider from boise, idaho

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2006

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    the stock set up is on the heavier side for a single speed, considering it's steel though, it's not too bad.

Bottom Line:
This bike is solid! It rails the single track and climbs like a goat if you hammer it. It even feels good on technical rocky sections, I love it, you can't beat it for the money! I ride everyday and this is the bike I've chosen everyday since I've purchased it. I've got another single speed, but it's collecting dust.

Submitted by Ronald Price a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento, Ca

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2006

Strengths:    The Muss Tracks really well, feels real good in technical sections. Added a Fox Talas fork and makes for a plush ride up front.

Weaknesses:    Headset constantly is loose. I have tightened it several times and will not stay tight. I have a feeling the headtube is ovalized. Also, the Truvativ non drive side crank keeps comeing loose. Very dissappointing. I had to tighten it several times over.

Bottom Line:
This is a great handling bike and being steel feels great on the trail. The initial setup is perfect for what your going to use it for. Love the steel feel. Would go back to Aluminum if you paid me. If your looking to add a new fitness level to your riding then Single Speed is the way to go. Forces you to get your lazy ass out of the seat and mash. It's made me a stronger rider, period!
I would suggest a coil fork with a lockout so when you climb your not losing any power to the fork. I would check the headset and crank set. Not very happy with what is going on there. Truvativ was willing to send new cranks, but didn't have any in stock and Bianchi wants me to send the frame in to look at the headtube. Now I'm out of a bike for the next 2-3 weeks. That really sucks!! Well, maybe next time I will pay a little extra and get a custom.

Favorite Trail:   Forest Hill Divide

Purchased At:   Bicycle Planet, Folsom, Ca

Bike Setup:   Stock execpt Fox Talas and Crank Bros pedals.

Submitted by R S a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2006

Strengths:    Steel Is Real,Man!And with Avid Disks Brakes Too!

Weaknesses:    This M.U.S.S. be a stupid question to ask! Nothing is Weak about the M.U.S.S. Although...the Pedals may be made from plastic resin.They grip my Nike Low Dunks and thats all I Need.

Bottom Line:
This Single Speed is Wicked Smoove..and Hot Looking Too! I Love the "Your Bike Sucks" Sticker and the Wicked Leopard Skin Seat.Also the Name M.U.S.S "to make messy!" Kicks cause you just want to make a mess of the trails. I did so by taking her to the local trail(#100) and I rode with happiness and pride. The ridgeness and the accuracy of the ridge fork makes me think of the old days when I got my first Mountain Bike. If you ever get a chance to get one of these babys, or even ride one. I recommend you jump on it. You'll never regret it. Trust Me...Bianchi has been making bikes for years and you'll be happy you did. Peace

Favorite Trail:   All of them!

Purchased At:   Rage Cyles in Scottsdale,AZ.