Specialized Hotrock FS 24 21-Speed Kids

Submitted by EBasil a Cross Country Rider from Joe Basil

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2010

Strengths:    Updated Review from now 9-year old...
--Fork works great!
--Bike is light and fast
--Brakes work great!
--I hardly ever need the pixie, but it's great.
--I don't use the big ring.
--Great seat!

Weaknesses:    OEM seatpost and handlebar are boat anchors.
Grip shift is hard to use, especially for the front derailleur, for smaller hands. Gripshifter version used isn't "grippy" enough.

Bottom Line:
Different model years of this bike have different forks--this one has the ultra-plush RST with lockout on it. The fork is heavy by adult standards due to the steel stanchions and steerer, but the 60-lb rider gets a smooth 1.5" of travel on it, regularly. Trimmed down for weight, this bike is just outstanding in terms of performance, bang for the buck and overall weight compared to BMX or similarly-priced MTB. Very trail-worthy bike.

I'd suggest you size it at the largest your child can stand over, ie the 11" or 13" frames, and then prepare to use stem and seatpost to adjust it until junior is ready for a small 26" wheeled bike. This will do the job, and very well, until then!

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hodges Singletrack

Purchased At:   Black Mtn. Bikes

Similar Products Used:   bmx, cruisers, buddy's Giant brand 24" mtb.

Bike Setup:   11" frame, now with Sette post, EC90 bar, Avid SD7 vee brakes, Sette extension stem, to size out the bike. Top tube length is still good, bar height still a little above the seat nose. OEM brake levers have good reach adjustment, and integration with our "parts bin" Avid 7 vees was simple, or course (good upgrade, too).

Submitted by tahoeMountaineer a Racer from Belmont, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2009

Strengths:    Fits young kids because the seat goes so low. Great quality - after 4-5 years the bike is like new. Light weight - around 25 lbs.

Weaknesses:    None really

Bottom Line:
I brought the bike second hand for my daughter when she was 6, moving her up from a 16" coaster brake Target bike. She had no problem understanding the gears or brakes.

Brakes are light to use, and for small hands you can adjust the levers to be very close to the handle bars.

The forks are great and don't bottom out while she's riding.

I've no regrets and know I can resell the bike for what I paid when may daughter grows out of it.

Favorite Trail:   Flume, Tahoe

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Trek MT 60

Bike Setup:   Completely stock

Submitted by Joe Basil a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2008

Strengths:    Light! Functional suspension forks! Stainless spokes, radial front lacing to aluminum rims. Aluminum seatpost, stem, bars. Excellent seat. Fork has lockout, and it works!

Weaknesses:    Cheapo plastic pedals. Plastic is okay as an idea, but these are lame.
Gripshift twister wears smooth quickly.
Saddle reflector is obstructed by rear wheel if seat is low. We replaced it with a seatstay-mounted item.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great! The 24" wheels roll over things way better than my 20" wheels ever did, and the tires are knobby but not too big for me to push up to speed. I am seven and this bike is great. I ride Los Penasquitos Canyon but my favorite trail is Big Laguna where the singletrack doesn't cut me with bushes but it turns a lot.

--The above was mostly dictated by Joe. This is an EXCELLENT kid's MTB and we overcame the sticker shock quickly once we lifted it and then saw our son start to ride it. It's 23lb as set up, and that's only half his body weight (compare that to other bikes kids get saddled with)! The difference and ability to ride comfortably is really noticeable. The bike is LIGHTER than a stripped down, SS BMX bike at the same price point!

We've got friends with one that's 3 years old and still ridden constantly. These are great kids bikes.

Favorite Trail:   Big Laguna Trail

Bike Setup:   OEM stock, except for Incredibell and Easton carbon bar leftover from my Trail a Bike

Submitted by matt egener a Weekend Warrior from Ottawa,On

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight frame, good derailleurs, nice rims, good xc bike and for a certain part good fork.

Weaknesses:    The fork sorta busted on me, but then again i did ride it hard.

Bottom Line:
Good bike, nice components, great for learning the basics, a good choice for a kids bike. I really liked it, and with a few upgraded components, it is a perfect machine.
I upgraded the front brake, (I accidentally broke the first one) I upgraded the grips, the rear tire to a maxxis maxx daddy and at one point I took apart the fork, which made the preload work. Some advice, you should never try to adjust the preload too much or your screwed.
Thats my opinion.

Favorite Trail:   Outback

Purchased At:   T&L

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Martin from Dublin, Ireland

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Strengths:    All round quality components for the price. Great geometry and handling.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy for the kid to push up the steeps. But probably still lighter than most of his friends supermarket bikes.

Bottom Line:
Can't fault this bike. It's solid, dependable and a great rids. Front shock is plush! Can't recomend it highly enough.

Similar Products Used:   Various break-a-minute department store bikes.

Submitted by Trevor a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2005

Strengths:    Frame and wheel size. Brakes and front fork work good.

Weaknesses:    weight

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price. I have riden the bike in extreme conditions-rain, mud, sand, and through streams. The only problems I have experienced with the bike are: I went through a set of break pads in first three months. I had one flat tire from a thorn and the handle bars broke through the cheap grips. I had one of the springs removed from the forks when I got the bike because I only weigh 60 pounds. Removing the sping makes the RST fork work well for someone my size. If you have the shop take out the spring make sure they put the cap back on the fork properly. The cap of my fork came off and was lost on my way home from shop. It has been six monthes and I am still waiting for a replacement. This is a great bike for kids between seven and ten years old.

Favorite Trail:   Black Mountain

Purchased At:   Black Mountain Bikes

Similar Products Used:   1st bike w/suspension. Used to ride Redline/GT and Robinson

Bike Setup:   Completely stock

Submitted by jerry a Weekend Warrior from san antonio, texas, usa

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2004

Strengths:    many, good frame, wheelset, tires

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This seems to be about the best kid's bike you can get with the exception of the FSR. I would reccomend it to any parent who can afford it and wants their child to have the best. It really performs well for my 8 y/o son. Also comes in 13" frmae size for bigger kids. The big 24" wheels roll smoother on the singletracks and the additional gears allow for comfortable cadence at any speed. My kid has really improved his riding skills on this bike. My only complaint is that they didn't have bikes this good when I was a kid.

Purchased At:   rider away bicycles

Similar Products Used:   hemi 12, hotrock 20" 7-speed

Bike Setup:   stock with 11.5" frame, added a cheap computer, cage

Submitted by Cesar Diaz a Weekend Warrior from Gilbert, AZ

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2004

Strengths:    Awesome little bike for kids. My son is 7 years old and it is perfect for him. We have the 11" frame model. You can get it with a 13" as well. The bike weighs 25 lbs. That's light for a kids Mtn. Bike. I upgraded it with some of my old 00 XT parts. The Revo twist shifters are perfect for little hands. Price is right.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any weeknesses yet.

Bottom Line:
This little bike kicks a$$. My son loves it. Him and I are doing more climbs now that he has a granny gear. It is a really solid bike. I can't complain at all. I was able to tape his rims and use Stan's tubeless system on his wheels. The tires were really nice as well. Bottom line is this is a killer bike if you love your kids and want to give them the best this is the bike for them. There is nothing better than being able to share a ride with your kids. I'm getting teary eyed now. Gotta go.

Favorite Trail:   National at South Mtn

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   My kids rode a Schwinn Speedster 2.0. which is a 20" 7 speed Mtn. bike. It weighed 30 lbs but is still bullet proof. My 4 year old uses it now.

Bike Setup:   Al aluminium frame, Tru-vativ cranks, Shimano Revo, mega-range cassette.