Specialized Hotrock 24 21-Speed Boys Kids

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by Mike from New York State

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2008

Bottom Line:
Hi,

I bought a Specialized Hotrock FS 21 speed bicycle for my 8-year old daughter. I ended up getting the boys one, mainly because it was in stock at the shop. My daughter I think would have preferred the White girls one, or if at all possible a blue one. Color is "the" decision criterion for kids.

I considered the Trek MT220, and also the Scott Scale and the Scott Spark. We never saw any of the Scott bikes. Most dealers did not stock them, and they were only available when you ordered one. Hence you could not try them out. The Trek was a bit too large, as was the Giant.

In the end we went for a Specialized FS, with 11-inch frame because it was there in the shop to see and check for fit. And also because there were quick release fittings on the front wheel. The quick release fittings are important for us because we could fit the bicycle into the trunk of our salon car. No need for a bike rack.

The 21-speed gear also turned out to be a big plus. This allows my daughter to ride on grass easily using the lower gears. She is not that steady, and falling on grass is less painful and allows her confidence to build. Her friend has a 7 speed, and the lower gear does nto really go low enough to ride on grass easily.

Warmest regards, Mike.

Purchased At:   Westchester, New York

Submitted by Bhaltair MacIntyre a Cross Country Rider from Bellingham, Washington USA

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, low gears for the kids to climb those steep mountains, good brakes, good suspension. One of the best bikes for the buck for kids! Spring assisted shifters!

Weaknesses:    The shifters are hard for my son to get used to being on the handles instead of trigger shifters, but kids' fingers are too short to really use trigger shifters anyway.

Bottom Line:
My son loves this bike. We can easily go up hiking trails and through deep mud and the only thing that slows him down are large rocks and wet wood (slippery unless ridden exactly straight!). I'd easily suggest this bike to anyone with a child that's 10 years old or younger. Next year he'll need a full size bike I suppose, but for now this is excellent. I wish I purchased this for him years ago instead of just now.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list

Purchased At:   Fairhaven Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Magnas etc.

Bike Setup:   Pure stock and I'm not sure what you'd change on this bike!