Specialized Hotrock 12 Kids

Submitted by Peter

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2012

Strengths:    lighter than all the other 12" bikes due to its aluminum frame and no extra junk hangin on the bike, looks awesome (I have the orange 2013)

Weaknesses:    it's a bit hard to pedal as the cranks are short and the hubs are slow (I believe this is true for all 12" bikes), the geometry is a little too forward for a beginner rider

Bottom Line:
Overall I really like this bike. I did tons of research and keep coming back to this one due my primary search criteria which was bike weight. Most 12" bikes weigh as much as the Large StumpJumper that I ride. That makes no sense! I was willing to pay anything for a bike that my son could actually ride and have fun with. My son started on a balance bike at 2 1/2 yrs old and picked that up quite quickly. Before he turned 3 I put him on his new 12" hotrock and within minutes he was riding a real pedal bike - no training wheels. For the record I am not a fan of training wheels - go with a balance bike and then directly to pedals with no trainers. All kids can ride a bike with training wheels, it's like adding yet another wheel to their tricycle that they have been riding for years, it's antiproductive. Anyway.... I like this bike a lot but feel that the geometry is a bit forward. I'm not sure if other 12" bikes are any more relaxed (from what I've seen they're not) but I belive it would be a bit safer it they were. His riding weight seems forward and causes him to head over the bars if he hits something or loses his grips. I'm working with him to sit back.... he just turned 3 and is still new to this so I really can't fault the bike, although since asked to nit-pick, I am. I like the bike and when he gets a little stronger on it he's going to rock it. It's small, short and quick.
I posted a 3 chili value rating because the bike is not inexpensive, but any decent kids bike will be similar.