Specialized Hotrock 12 Kids

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Submitted by cletus

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2015

Strengths:    My three year old loves his hotrock!

Weaknesses:    heavy, newer model seems to improve the geometry, but is 1.3 lbs heavier than the previous version, also the quality seems to have gone downhill as well

Bottom Line:
I picked up an older red/white version of this bike for my son about a year ago, going from a balance bike, he learned to ride it in about 15 minutes, early this spring. We regularly go on 3+ mile rides on the bike, and he absolutely loves it. The bike 13.4 lbs and feels pretty solid. There is quite a bit of pedaling resistance, but I do not think that's a bad thing for a first pedal bike. My only complaint is that for such a small bike, the geometry seemed to not be ideal for my son...

I found the new, blue version of the hotrock 12, and decided to compare the two. I was pleased to see that the frame geometry has improved, mostly due to a slacker seatpost angle, the cockpit is not as cramped, and the crank arms are longer. Also the handle bar seems to be a bit more comfortable. Unfortunately, the bike is significantly heavier, 14.7 lbs w/out training wheels on my scale, also the seat on the new bike appears to be of inferior quality compared to the previous version. We went on a ride with the new bike, and I immediately noticed that the new bike is slower than the old one, this could be due to different gearing, but I did not check... Also it was noticeable that my kid had a harder time handling the heavier bike, but that did not stop him from enjoying the ride.

If you are looking for a quality 12" bike, my recommendation would be to look at other models as well. The hotrock is a good option, but for the price you might be able to find something better. Also if you can find an older model, you probably will not regret it.

Submitted by Peter

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2012

Strengths:    lighter than all the other 12" bikes due to its aluminum frame and no extra junk hangin on the bike, looks awesome (I have the orange 2013)

Weaknesses:    it's a bit hard to pedal as the cranks are short and the hubs are slow (I believe this is true for all 12" bikes), the geometry is a little too forward for a beginner rider

Bottom Line:
Overall I really like this bike. I did tons of research and keep coming back to this one due my primary search criteria which was bike weight. Most 12" bikes weigh as much as the Large StumpJumper that I ride. That makes no sense! I was willing to pay anything for a bike that my son could actually ride and have fun with. My son started on a balance bike at 2 1/2 yrs old and picked that up quite quickly. Before he turned 3 I put him on his new 12" hotrock and within minutes he was riding a real pedal bike - no training wheels. For the record I am not a fan of training wheels - go with a balance bike and then directly to pedals with no trainers. All kids can ride a bike with training wheels, it's like adding yet another wheel to their tricycle that they have been riding for years, it's antiproductive. Anyway.... I like this bike a lot but feel that the geometry is a bit forward. I'm not sure if other 12" bikes are any more relaxed (from what I've seen they're not) but I belive it would be a bit safer it they were. His riding weight seems forward and causes him to head over the bars if he hits something or loses his grips. I'm working with him to sit back.... he just turned 3 and is still new to this so I really can't fault the bike, although since asked to nit-pick, I am. I like the bike and when he gets a little stronger on it he's going to rock it. It's small, short and quick.
I posted a 3 chili value rating because the bike is not inexpensive, but any decent kids bike will be similar.

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!