Home | Reviews | Kids | Kona

Kona Stinky 24 Kids

We've been making ripper downhill bikes for pint-sized kids for years now, and we put as much energy and thought into their design as we do our adult bikes. The Stinky 2-4 is a wonderful example of our commitment to making great bikes for every kind of rider. You've got a nine to twelve year old who loves the bike park? A mini-shredder who can't get enough of your gnarly backyard descents? Well, set them free, great parent. Outfit the little shredders with the best kid-purposed dual suspension mountain bike on the market. A new RockShox Recon 100mm fork with 20mm axle, plush rear travel, flat-resistant tires, disc brakes with levers designed for smaller hands and a smoking paint and graphics job that brings nothing but big smiles.

• Shimano Acera 9-speed drivetrain
  • RockShox 100mm fork
  • Maxxis 2.5 tires
  • Tektro hydraulic disc brakes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by golsonca a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2017

Strengths:    full suspension in a bomber frameset, sized for youth/kids

Weaknesses:    heavy! fork is a boat anchor

Bottom Line:
    I got this for my rapidly progressing 11 year old; he had out grown the abilities of his 24" hard tail.

First thing I did was took off the heavy & unresponsive fork (Marizocchi DJ2) and replaced with my 2002 era SID SL. I also turfed the stock fox coil shock with a 2010ish Fox Float RL with 3 stage pro pedal. It now rides like a dream, and the front & rear are both air tuneable to match his weight. MUCH improved over the stock items.

I also upgraded the drivetrain to SRAM X9 2x9 shifters & deraileurs that I had kicking about, along with Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes. This thing has a serious build spec now, and everything works crisply & reliably. My kid rips on it, and the bike just works! we do everything from lift accessed green & blue runs, to all mountain cross country together now.

It is a heavy frame though, with same bearings & build quality as the full sized stinky frames. Unlikely that a 75lb kid will generate any forces that tax this thing...

Purchased At:   kijiji