Ibex Bicycles Alpine 320K Kids

Read the Pro Review on This Product Here>>

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by ThorCornelius a Cross Country Rider from Davis CA USA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2011

Strengths:    Real Components!
    Sturdy
    Multiple gears

Bottom Line:
    Just got one for my 4 yr old and wanted to update the reviews, since (I think) Ibex has gone through a re-organization since the last reviews were posted. The bike is the same way as before in all the positive senses of the other reviewers - components are leagues better than other bikes I saw and tested with my son. The bike came in great shape, was mostly assembled by someone who knew what they were doing and within 30 min we were off. My son Loves it! More expensive than other bikes, but the huge quality advantage makes it a great deal for what you get. I could actually see my son doing real riding with me on this machine and it has the gears to make it possible.

Favorite Trail:   Hole in the Ground

Purchased At:   Ibex - online

Similar Products Used:   Specialized

Bike Setup:   Stock so far

Submitted by Dribble a Cross Country Rider from Moreno Valley, CA USA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2009

Strengths:    No Kidding,Real Deal! Lightweight. Quality "adult" components = forgiveness and cuts slack for kids. Kidometry Design. 21 Speed not 6 or 7. Aluminum frame. Did I say 21 speed...

Weaknesses:    V-Brakes should be top of the line as the botom line is safety. They do the job but my expectations from Ibex now are beyondthe standard. These are better than others but Ibex is already beyond that. The 440 now has disc brakes..ohhhh!

Bottom Line:
    I never understood nor will understand why it is females and kids get the lower end of quality bikes. Since the male is stronger shud't the female and child get the highest quality bike affordable? Imagine a parent yelling to spouse or kid to keep up when they are hauling a bike thats proportionally 2 - 3 times heavier with lower end parts. I haven't checked out every single kids bike but I'm sure glad I found this one and I'm really looking forward to my daughters new 24" Ibex Alpine more than she is. She will continue to live the trail rides this summer as opposed tosurviving them! A lifetime investment!

Favorite Trail:   Brians Head Trails

Purchased At:   Ibex

Similar Products Used:   Did extensive research and no one comes close to Ibex. Even component by component Ibez is better.

Bike Setup:   Ibex 320, 20" wheels, used from age 6-9.

Submitted by jason6767 a Cross Country Rider from Rochester, NY

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2008

Strengths:    It's a real mountain bike!

Weaknesses:    Shifter for front derailler is a little hard to operate for a 7 year-old

Bottom Line:
    My son started riding the trails with me in the summer of '07. He was riding a Huffy BMX style bike and couldn't really climb hills with it (the bike was nearly as heavy as him!) He really enjoys ridding the trails, so this year I shelled out and got him the Ibex for his B-Day.

He couldn't be happier! This bike is exactly what he needed. It took about 2 weeks of riding around our neighborhood to get the hang of shifting and of using handbrakes. After that, we hit the trails. Thanks to the gears, he can now climb most hills and handle almost anything he dares to tackle.

I would, and do, recommend this bike to anyone looking for a real mountain bike for a kid.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Ibex online

Similar Products Used:   Various department store bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Ian a Weekend Warrior from San Mateo, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2007

Strengths:    Great bike - design and componentry

Weaknesses:    None so far....

Bottom Line:
    Great bike for the next level for the kids. We did the Target thing for the first years and that was fine for what it was - good basic chaep bikes to get started. Thee boys got right into the cycling thing but now they want more and this is the bike. I reviewed several others - specialized, giant etc but none came close to the design and componentry.
    Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Local

Purchased At:   Ibex Direct

Similar Products Used:   Giant specialized, diamondback, plus the target walmart as a base comparison

Bike Setup:   As is

Submitted by Niels Reimers a Cross Country Rider from Meadow Vista, CA

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2007

Strengths:    Frame and components

Weaknesses:    Hmm... wasn't available when I was a kid

Bottom Line:
    First of all, I agree with everything said by the other reviewers. This is a real mountain bike and putting it together is not much harder than fixing a flat.

The real testimony comes from my kids. My kids (aged 5 and 8) have been riding for several years now and we're always trying out harder and harder trails. I've been disappointed in the bikes they have and started to look for new bikes to get them on. I was surprised at the garbage that is available for kids. It seems that many manufacturers believe that children need 30lb bikes with bad brakes, no front derailleur (or just a double), hard shifting and no suspension. It's no surprise that I don't run into more kids on the trails, I'd stay away too! Anyhow, thanks to the other reviewers here I found Ibex. A triple in the front, components from manufacturers I recognize, a 24" bike and a weight that is useful. I can be a gearhead just like the rest of you all here so after I ordered the bikes (a 320k for my 5 year old and a 440k for my 8 year old) I started getting fired up about how great they would be able to ride when the bikes arrived. Even with these high expectations, the bikes delivered more than I expected. My kids’ abilities and interest in riding have increased enormously. Hills that they previously would have walked up they are now riding, single track sections they are taking with much greater confidence and finesse than before. As a dad, and particularly a dad who wants to get out on the trails myself, it’s really exciting.

What it really comes down to is a decision that most of you reading this review have already made for yourself. You know that you will get more riding out of a nice bike than you will from a tank you but at Walmart. You’ll get more miles/dollar from one of these than you will from a lesser bike.

Favorite Trail:   Clementine, Hole in the Ground, Tahoe Rim

Purchased At:   www.ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Giant

Bike Setup:   As shipped, still has a kickstand

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Wyoming

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2007

Strengths:    A real mountain bike, just really small. Real, brand name componets. Better shifters and deraillerus than on some adult $400 bikes. Alumimun frame with replaceable derailleur hanger. Alloy rims. Quick release wheels front and rear. Great paint and graphics. Threadless headset. Nice seat. Well assembled from factory.

Weaknesses:    The fork is so-so, but there isn't a big market for 20 inch suspension forks. Much better than ones on a WalMart bike.

Bottom Line:
    Better parts than name brand kids bikes. Cheaper than name brand kids bikes.

Purchased At:   ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   None exist for this price.

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Rick a Cross Country Rider from North St. Paul, MN

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2006

Strengths:    Quality, Quality, Quality. This is one cool little ride.

Weaknesses:    None for a child's bike.

Bottom Line:
    I wanted to get my 6 year old son a Mt. Bike that would be quality and not to hard to handle weight wise. This was the only bike I found that fit the bill. I am amazed at how such a well put together bike can cost so little. Granted those who are not biking freaks will not understand how someone can say that about a 300.00 child's bike.

I read the reviews on this bike and I must admit that I was a bit unsure of how I would feel when the bike arrived. I was not disappointed. I ride top end road and Mt. bikes and this little bike amazed me.

My 6 year old son loves it. He wants to ride all the time and is constantly begging me to take him to dirt trails. Those of us who grew up biking and continued it into our adult years know how big a thrill it is to have our children share riding with us. I am grateful that there is a company out there like IBEX that believed there were people who would want quality bikes for their children.

My only minor snit with IBEX is that the company does not indicate anywhere (that I can find) on the IBEX site where the frame is made. I am guessing China as the box had "Made in China" printed on it. If this is the case, China has some really quality frame builders. This little bike has really nice welds.

If you are a bike snob like myself and you have a child who is ready for their first Mt. Bike, you owe it to your child to check this company out.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Purchased At:   IBEXBikes.com

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by DeeZee a Weekend Warrior from OC Cal

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2006

Strengths:    Quality for the price

Weaknesses:    None compared to other Kids bikes

Bottom Line:
    Spent one Saturday going to different bike shops checking out almost every kids bike available. Weighed them all and they were all about 27lbs with a single chain ring. Then I asked the MTBR community via the message boards what was the best 20” wheeled kids bike. Ibex was the clear winner. I was sold.

What a great company and product. I ordered the bike @ 4:30 Eastern time and it shipped that night!

It arrived in perfect condition and exceeded my expectations. This is a real bike and my 5 year old is fired up that he now has gears and can keep up with his older brother and me. Glad that we purchased a quality bike because it will be used my 1 year old son (in four years).

Thanks Ibex!

Favorite Trail:   Holy Jim

Purchased At:   Ibex Direct

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Fisher, Giant, Specialized, Diamondback

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock wit ha few changes

Submitted by Ryan Pickell a Weekend Warrior from Smyrna, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2006

Strengths:    Where to start. Shimano grip shift, sun crank, lat pull brakes, 21 speeds, 20 inch tires on a 10 inch frame, 23.5 lbs...LIGHT! Intuitive for the kids, standard size components, replaceable rear derailer hanger, quick relesase hubs, seatpost, cane creek headset.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
    My son is small for a 5 year old, 40 lbs, 3.5 feet tall, 19 inch inseam. so I thought he would be a while growing into it. NOT! He hopped right on and started flying. He keeps up with me on most trails. The stuff I pull off my bike will fit on his! This is not a toy, this is a shrunk mountain bike!

Favorite Trail:   Hamilton Creek

Purchased At:   Ibexbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   chain store

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Korea

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2006

Strengths:    Complete package! Size is perfect for my 7yo daughter.

Bottom Line:
    Outstanding value from a great company. My little girl loves to ride and now she has a great bicycle to do it on. Well built and will definitely be a hand-me-down for my son in a year or so when my daughter moves up to the 440. Ibex is a great bike company and their online service and ability to cheaply send a bike through the USPS was only way for me to get a bike delivered to my duty station in Korea. Easy to put together and a bike I'm proud of my daughter to ride. P.S. I now own 3 Ibex bikes... this is how good they are!

Favorite Trail:   Any that lead away from work!

Purchased At:   IBEX.COM

Similar Products Used:   Many single-speed kids bikes.

Bike Setup:   Factory fresh with lights, bell & bottle holder.

Submitted by Jasmin a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2005

Strengths:    After looking for a good 20" kids hard tail MTB bike, finally decided to get Ibex 320K for my 6 yr old sun. We tried couple other bikes, but they either had cheap components, were too heavy or didn't fit my son. So, unless you want to build a custom bike, check this one. Ibex designers really made a bike that is for kids who want to ride off road. Imagine that you shrink adult MTB.

Weaknesses:    Bike does not come with kickstand and rear derailleur guard. Kids can be rough with bikes.

Bottom Line:
    Overall, the best 20" hard tail bike you can buy.
    Do not be afraid of buying online from Ibex - bikes come adjusted, all you need to do is: 1. mount handlebar, 2. mount front wheel, 3. install pedals, 4. install front reflector
    5. mount seat. Then pump tires and your kid will enjoy!!!
    Peformance: my son can get 12 mph on dirt road and 15 mph on paved flat road, also delighted that he can climb up the hill and make moderate jumps.

Similar Products Used:   We tried couple bikes, ranked here:
    1. Scott Racing Jr 20", sold at REI, high quality, has the same Grind fork as Ibex, Alivio derailleurs, 21 speed, only 25.5 lbs, but the flat handlebar is too far for kids hands. We tried to push the seat forward, put shorter stem, but wasn't enough. Also, no kickstand and derailleur guard.
    2. Specialized Hotrock 20" - great looking in red, 26.3 lbs, average components, 6 speed. Probably the best choice at local bike shops.
    3. Novara Kids MTB 20" - sold at REI, bellow average components, 6 speed, 27.5 lbs.
    4. Raleigh Rowdy - sold at LBS. 6 speed ,bellow average components. This is a puzzle - they made aluminum kids bike that is 29.5 lbs, heavier than adult MTBs.

Bike Setup:   Stock, added alloy kickstand, bottle cage and bell ring.

Submitted by Steve & Michelle a Weekend Warrior from Renton, WA

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2005

Strengths:    As the other reviewers have stated, this is a REAL mt.bike, scaled down for kids. Our 5 yr. old is riding root and rock infested trails, doing some decent climbs, twisty sections, and LOVING IT! We have had a great time riding with him this summer. We adjusted the brake lever reach in a bit, so he can reach it more easily. We also loosened the front brake cable, after he launched himself over the bars on the first ride. (He probably was used to the relatively poor braking performance on his old bike, and grabbed them real hard.)

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    If you and your child are serious about riding off-road, get the IBEX. It is the only 20" wheel production bike we have seen that has lightweight, quality components comparable to what is found on adult mt. bikes. Most people would not spend $300 for a child's bike - we justify it by not buying video games, candy, or fast food.

Favorite Trail:   Sun Top

Purchased At:   Ibex

Similar Products Used:   Novara 20" wheel youth mt. bike.

Submitted by dr biker a Cross Country Rider from Lexington

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2005

Strengths:    Geometry, components, weight, looks

Weaknesses:    Triple up front can be confusing for some kids

Bottom Line:
    This is the only real 20" mountain bike I could find. It is incredibly good quality for the price. Your kid can not tear it up. My 6 year old is loving this bike. His brother has the 24" Alpine 440, which is also an incredible bike. I don't know why other manufacturers don't make good bikes for kids this size and in this price range. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Buckskin at Cave Run Lake