Home | Reviews | Kids | Giant

Giant MTX 125 Kids

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by Jakob407 a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa, CA US of A

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2009

Strengths:    Good gearing, enjoy grip shift. Good tires as well.

Weaknesses:    Brakes need to be constantly adjusted, bottle cage

Bottom Line:
I like it. I Upgraded to a Hardrock SD, because I outgrew it. Nice and light bike, though. I love the gripshifters, as I mentioned before.

Favorite Trail:   Annadel

Purchased At:   Bike Peddler

Similar Products Used:   NA

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by coconuthead a Weekend Warrior from Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2009

Strengths:    Barely used. My daughter outgrew it very quickly. It was however the bike that convinced her to take off the training wheels in record time. Plus, the hip looking lavendar color was another selling point.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a bit on the heavy side but I always thought that somehow that would make her safer.

Bottom Line:
My daughter barely used this bike but it's a beautiful piece of work. I would like to see someone care for it and love it as we have not been able to. The beach can be harsh and this lovely little big deserves soemeone to love it right back.

Favorite Trail:   The Strand

Purchased At:   Helen's Cycle's

Similar Products Used:   Moved up tp a Beach Cruiser now.....what can I say

Bike Setup:   It's obviously a girl's bike. I am not a techie when it comes to these things but it is an TEKTRO, 664 or660 flux

Submitted by AshZippy a Cross Country Rider from Tampa, Fl

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2008

Strengths:    Price isn't bad compared to other geared 20 inchers that I looked at. As mentioned before the top tube really helps out if your kid is right on the edge. Being able to adjust the stem was nice to get my son comfortable on the bike

Weaknesses:    Because of the top tube the rear brake was routed poorly. This causes there to be a lot of friction when pulling the brake. Since my son is small this is an issue for him. The routing may just be poor because of how it was built by the bike shop and not necessarily as intended by the factory. Could probably be corrected with a better cable as well.

Bottom Line:
My son loves this bike. He loves being able to shift like Daddy. As we ride I tell him what gear to shift into and he does it smoothly. At first the cables were tight and he just wasn't strong enough to do it. Over the course of a few days I would sit there and just turn the grip shift back and forth and now he doesn't have any issues. The RD guard is a beautiful thing.

My son is 6 and he races. But he's short for his age. SO when shopping I new I was going to have to find a decent bike that would last a while, since he's not going to outgrow it anytime soon.

My son loves to go to the bike shop with me to look at new bikes. Since he got this bike, he has never asked for any of the shiny new ones on the floor, because his bike is faster.

Similar Products Used:   Generic department store bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Philip Cody a Weekend Warrior from Ripon, WI. USA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Strengths:    Very well built, better components than competition, and 7 speeds instead of 6. I believe that it is also lighter than competition.

Weaknesses:    no mud guards?

Bottom Line:
When compared to the competition this one stands out. The Hotrock is a close second (tho more expensive)0. The fact that this bike has 7 speeds vs. 6 is also a plus. The components are clearly better than the Trek/Gary Fisher. Some of the components are better on Hotrock.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Hotrock 20, Trek Mt. 60, and Gary Fisher Cosmo

Submitted by Sam Tindall a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2006

Strengths:    Good choice of tyres, reliable brakes, troublefree gears, good frame setup, cool paint job

Weaknesses:    The broken bottle-cage, and it's hard to take the wheel off when you want to move it in car.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike for heaps of stuff, started on the road then got into forest single track rides with dad. Now we bike and push up hills and ride down paddock tussock runs, 4 wheel drive tracks and sheep tracks. It's light enough to lift over fences. (I'm 9)

Favorite Trail:   Tussock Run

Purchased At:   Cycle Trading Company

Bike Setup:   Changed the setup quite a few times over 3 years

Submitted by Jason from Modesto, CA

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2005

Bottom Line:
I bought it for my 6-year-old daughter. We love it. Good price for a quality bike that little sister will ride someday. There's enough room for her to grow into it without feeling too big (thanks to the adjustable stem). Nice frame and components for a kids bike. Even comes in purple for girls. A great bike (20" with 7 speeds) to get a young kid into riding cross-country with dad...:o)

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, Ca.

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2004

Strengths:    You can fit a smaller kid on this bike because of the of the sloping top tube. My son likes the included water bottle and cage. The guard on the derailure is bomb proof.

Weaknesses:    I guess if I have to be picky, the plastic covers on the wheel nuts fall of.

Bottom Line:
My son was almost 7 when I got him this bike. Because of the low stand over and adjustable stem I didnt have to get him a 16". The black paint job looks very cool. Kids can be pretty hard on stuff, but the bike is holding up very well. The shifting has remaned smooth and the brakes only need minor adjustments now and then. Remember, spend a little more and buy from a bike shop not a department store, you will be much happier.

Purchased At:   Performance