Gary Fisher Precaliber 20 Kids

• Frame: Gold Series 6061 T6 aluminum
  • Wheels:Alloy front hub, alloy rear hub, w/32 hole aluminum 20” rims, Bontrager SX tires
  • Componentry: SRAM 3.0 rear derailleur, Great Fit SRAM 3.0 6spd shifters, aluminum arm crank, alloy linear pull brakes
  • Suspension: Great Fit SR suspension fork, 50mm travel

Submitted by Tony

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2013

Strengths:    Frame geometry, weight, 1x6, durable paint

Weaknesses:    components, fork

Bottom Line:
Probably best bike at this price point... The OE brakes are horrible and heavy. I replaced them with some Avid rim brakes...feels very responsive now. The fork is a total piece of crap and weighs over 4 lbs. At 160 lbs i could barely get the fork to move its 50mm of travel. Totally worthless. I looked online forever trying to find a replacement fork and couldnt. I went to LBS the deals in TREK/Gary Fisher and they ordered a rigid fork. the paint matched, weighed 2.5 lbs and only cost me $29 after shipping. Awesome!!!

I replaced the heavy metal stem spacers with some light FSA plastic. So, all these mods got the bike right at 21 lbs. Now my 6yr old son already has 2 BMX bikes and a neighborhood beater but he swears this is his favorite. He loves shifting and i love that its just an all-round easy bike for him to learn on. Im really disappointed that the big bike manufactures havent stepped up and built dedicated mt bikes with normal components that you would see on our bikes. Im sure there is a market for it.

Submitted by SimpleJon a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2011

Strengths:    Good lightweight frame, best design kids 20" I've seen, good resale value

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for $300 and sold it for $200 4 years later.
My daughter used this bike 3 or 4 times a week probably did over 3000Km in total. I serviced it myself full strip down once a year, changed the cables once and made her keep it clean there was never an issue with it. She did some simple trails but mostly on pavements and parks, down to the beach etc. The SRAM X3 was fit for purpose, brakes worked, the best kids bike I have come across.

Purchased At:   Trek Dealer

Similar Products Used:   Other kid has trek MT60

Bike Setup:   Stock, SRAM X3

Submitted by Luis Toro a Cross Country Rider from Puerto Rico

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2011

Strengths:    Low weight, incredible stability, long term use while kid grow.

Bottom Line:
My kid loves this bike, it is very stable, he climbs standing without slipping the rear tire. The geometry is perfect. He have it since 6 years old and now is 8 and it keeps fitting perfectly, just rise the seat. For me the bike is very light to be put on the roof rack. Department store bikes are excesivelly heavy and broke your back while lifting it.
My kid is winning races very easily with this bike.

Favorite Trail:   La Garza Single Track Cabo Rojo

Purchased At:   Bike Solutions

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose

Bike Setup:   Stock with candy clipless pedals

Submitted by bbarel a Cross Country Rider from Detroit area

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2010

Strengths:    Relatively light. Many aluminum/alloy parts. Nice paint scheme looks like adult bike instead of kids bike.

Bottom Line:
We have the SS 20. It weighs around 21#, which is about 7# lighter than his brothers 24" geared bikes! My son just turned 8 and is 45" and 45#. He's a good rider and does fine after adjustments, but I would not get this for a smaller child. I like the SS simplicity and lower weight for this size/age. He can mash up most of the hills and really does not seem to need faster gearing. He loves it!

Similar Products Used:   Older brothers have 24" K2 and 24" Marin bikes.

Bike Setup:   Seat moved forward. Bars turned back. Levers adjusted in.

Submitted by jaredp a Cross Country Rider from Idaho Falls, Idaho USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Strengths:    great light weight frame, quality components

Weaknesses:    cheap plastic pedels, frame is a bit extended.

Bottom Line:
my 6 year old will tear it up on this super kids single speed... way to go G.F.

Purchased At:   Idaho mountain tradi

Similar Products Used:   Specialized hot rock

Submitted by rivrmutt a Cross Country Rider from York, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, gary fisher quality, grat fit

Weaknesses:    paint quality, no others so far

Bottom Line:
This acutually the Precaliber SS. What a great bike for kid's. Only 19 pounds. And all they have to concentrate on is riding, no shifting. My son is 7yrs old, 54" and about 54 pounds. He has always had a little issue with the typical kid's bikes(jamis laser) due to their weight, which took me some time to figure out. He now blasts up pretty decent hills and ove to keep up with dad. I would recommend this to anyone. Only bad thing was a paint flaw and the shop gave me a credit. no harm, no foul.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Ridge