Diamondback Octane 20 Kids

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

Get your kids away fromThe video games and cartoons and onto a bike.The Diamondback Octane is one hardly little bike. Made of 6061T6 aluminum,The Octane canTakeThe abuse of every day child’s play. Perfect for The localTrails,The Octane 20 has a 30mm suspension fork. Just enough suspensionTo easeTheir ride inThe local hills. With six gears, your child will beginTo learn how/ whenTo change gears.This will helpThem ride faster and more efficiently.Technical Specifications: Size 20&rd

Submitted by The Grouch

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2012

Strengths:    This little bike is boomproof

Weaknesses:    The twist grip broke , and it was to hard for his little hands to shift.

Bottom Line:
Once we replaced the twist grip, he was ready to rock and roll.As a father its fun to see your son catching the same MTB bug that you have!

Submitted by The_3Ds a Weekend Warrior from Upstate NY

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2008

Strengths:    My daughter loves this bike. She can now keep up with her older sister and me on rides without any difficulty whatsoever. She is sometimes hard to keep up with at times.

Weaknesses:    Had to adjust rear brakes after a few rides.

Bottom Line:
Good starter bike for kids getting in to mountain biking. Better than most big box sore bikes. Rides nice, not too heavy. Shimano shifter does a good job, well built bicycle. Nice looking bike, too.

Purchased At:   Dick's

Bike Setup:   Stock, girl's version

Submitted by Ken a Weekend Warrior from Cleveland, Ohio

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2007

Strengths:    Size and Price. Excellent specs: 6 speed rear, 6061 aluminum frame, shock, great brakes for under $200. A lot of adjustability, especially the handlebar stem.

Weaknesses:    Better gearing (see my review below from 5/16/06). This bike is marketed as an off road bike for small kids. It is too hard/fast in 6th gear and not enough power in 1st. I even talked to Diamondback about this. On my daughters bike I did replace the front sprocket, but since I did not want to mess with the chain length, I only went down a few teeth, which probably only helped a little. Could go down a few more.

Bottom Line:
Like I stated below, excellent bike for the price. My original intention was to give my daughter's bike to my son who is 2 years younger, but the next size up (24" wheel) was waaay to big. So I bought another!!!

Favorite Trail:   Rising Valley (closed)

Purchased At:   Geigers Ski Sport Haus

Similar Products Used:   I love this bike so much, I bought another ('07 model) for my son, who just turned 7. My daughter, who is now 9, really hammers this bike ('06 model) off road.

Bike Setup:   Son's is stock, Daughter's has a smaller front sprocket.

Submitted by Kirk a Cross Country Rider from SJ, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2007

Strengths:    Component mix, threadless headset, derailer protector

Weaknesses:    1 pc cranks

Bottom Line:
Bought this for my 6 yr old who was out-riding the 20 inch BMX style Schwinn Gremlin bike. Was a bit on the long side as configured, but the LBS I bought it at was good enough to replace stem, seat and cut bars to make it fit. He is delighted to have gears and this bike is serving us very well, although I will be going from the stock 40T front chainring to a 36T to make it easier on dirt/hills. Component mix is as good as the major brands and is working with no issues. I was dubious, based on my equipment, with the need for a derailer protection bar, but after several drops of the bike as my son has been learning to ride in the dirt it has certainly saved the life of the derailer. A durable good buy that will grow with him for at least a couple years.

Favorite Trail:   all of 'em

Purchased At:   LBS-Calbazas

Submitted by ken a Weekend Warrior from cleveland, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Strengths:    Great size for my 7 yr old daughter. Excellent specs: 6 speed rear, 6061 frame, shock, great brakes for under $200. A lot of adjustability.

Weaknesses:    My daughter has trouble in 1st gear especially on hills and never goes into 6th (it would be very fast). Therefore needs better gearing, could use a smaller front sprocket by at least a few teeth.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike for the price. My 7 yr old daughter fits easily with the seat post all the way down. I would guess that she could easily get 3 - 4 yrs out of this bike. However it could stand to use a smaller front sprocket for more low end power. I am planning on calling Diamondback for help on spec'ing out a smaller front sprocket.

Favorite Trail:   Rising Valley

Purchased At:   Dick's

Similar Products Used:   Looked at others including Kawasaki and Jeep. But for the money this seemed to be the best.

Bike Setup:   Stock for now.

Submitted by slick a Cross Country Rider from abq, nm

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2006

Strengths:    Great size for my 6-yo entry level hammerer. Nice frame and compromise of components. I like the periwinkle, though I would'nt have purchased if I knew they called it that.

Weaknesses:    hubs are not quick release. rear derailer a little loose on rought terraine

Bottom Line:
We're happy with the buy.
The kiddo finds it easy to ride and it looks great.
Buy it if you want a decent bike to upgrade from d-store or event to start out. No front derailure, but you may want to take it easy on the squirt for a while.

Purchased At:   bike world