Transition Bikes Trans AM Freeride Hardtail

Transition TransAM Frame 2011: Everybody will agree that riding hardtails will make you a better rider which is why almost everyone at Transition owns and rides their TransAM a ton. Designed to tame XC trails as well as aggressive all mountain lines

Submitted by ihaveagibsonsg a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2013

Strengths:    Revolution 32 wheelset is great. Build quality is excellent. Feels lile it has a rear shock. I purchased mine used at a great price. 140mm fork is perfect for this bike. Stable at high speeds. Small bump compliance is astounding.

Weaknesses:    Its not cool anymore because its wheels arent 29" or 650b. Possibly a little expensive new for not having a rear shock. Came with poor color combo on the decals. The solid 10mm axle in the back requires a wrench to be removed.

Bottom Line:
My primary rig is a 160mm specialized enduro. Needless to say I was absolutely stunned at how well this bike tackles serious terrain. The transam has a shorter wheelbase, and a taller headtube angle so I was hesitant on how stable the bike woukd be at high speed. Anything I ride on the enduro, the transam has no issues navigating. I was shocked at how great the small bump compliance is for a hardtail. Aluminum doesnt even come close to how reel steel feels. This bike jams downhill and corners with the best. I actually find myself taking it out more than my enduro now. It has a lower bottom bracket than the enduro but ive yet to hit it in a rockgarden yet. I run it as a 1x9 and its not a bike you can sit and spin but its not unbearable to climb either. Its a perfect allrounder. Its also light enough to race xc on without being in pain.

After owning 2, 29" hardtails, I thought there was no way a 26" hardtail would ride smoother than a 29er but this bike delivers. I primarily purchased the bike for my gf to ride but now I dont wanna give it up. Its also great to blow past guys on expensive full suspension rigs on a hardtail and see the look of nostalgia on their faces back when they started out on a hardtail or bmx bike. Its a great looking bike that turns heads too. If anything ever happened to it, I'd buy another one immediately.

Bike Setup:   Transam medium frame, rockshox pike uturn air, revolution 32 wheelset, avid elixir cr brakeset, 50mm stem 760mm handlebar, crankbrothers 5050 3 pedals, schwalbe nobby nic 2.35.

Submitted by ZomblibulaX a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent fit & finish on the frame; welds are clean, very strong frame. ED finish on frame, a huge plus for CroMo fans. Damned fun to ride. Takes abuse like a champ, jumps as well as it climbs. Easy SS setup.

Weaknesses:    No XL! I'm 6'4, so the L is a little tight, but I wanted the bike to be small so I can throw it around.
Some paint chipping, but the ED finish has remained intact underneath, so no rust problems.
My 2010 frame has a campy-style IS headset, newer models have a full 44mm headtube for more options.

Bottom Line:
I built this bike up for rocky, technical trails, and for general abuse. Mostly went with strength/cost over weight, and ended up with a bomb-proof 140mm hardtail under 30 lbs., even with giant rubber, heavy-ish wheels and a coil fork. Its no XC weight-weenie race rig, but it is a very capable all-rounder. The fit on the Large is a little tight for me (6'4, 33 in. inseam) but perfect for the application. This bike excels in the tight and twisty, and line changes are easy and predictable. Even all day high-country excursions are a treat, as the frame is compliant enough to keep things comfy without feeling squishy. In fact, the Revolution wheels with a 10mm TA noticably stiffened up the rear end laterally compared to a standard QR. I don't know why more hubs don't have this option.

I've ridden this bike on everything from dirt jumps to shuttle runs normally reserved for 6-7" full suspension rigs, and it has not let me down. It climbs like a goat and rides light for all its heft. The geometry feels very balanced, and though I wouldn't want to go with less than 140mm travel, I can easily see putting a 160mm fork on it without making the front end wander too much on the ups. On smooth descents with tight corners, you'll have no problem keeping up with your buddies on their fs trail bikes. In the chunky and chundery, you'll just be having more fun than them.

Additionally, Transition has been great to deal with for customer service, from sourcing a headset to buying wheels to getting new frame decals. They are always very prompt and courteous, and genuinely interested in making sure their customers enjoy their experience. Just what you would expect from a small company whose motto is "Rider owned for life."

One thing to note, I was unable to use a bottom chainguide with my 2x setup because the granny ring chainring bolts rubbed on the guide (blackspire stinger and e.13 DRS). I opted for a Bionicon C.guide v2 and it has worked great. The newer model frames have ISCG 05 tabs that are set slightly back from the face of the bb shell, so this shouldn't be an issue. Basically, any problems I've had with the bike, which are very minor, have been addressed in newer iterations. If I was in the market, I would have no compunction about buying another TransAm.

Favorite Trail:   skyline-extended ridge

Duration Product Used:   Two years

Purchased At:   Transitionbikes.com

Bike Setup:   RS Pike 454 140mm, Transition Revolution 28 wheels, 20mm ft, 10mm TA rr. X.9 2x9 (36/24/e.13 bash) drivetrain w/ 11-34 cass. Avid elixir R brakes, 203/185. Schwalbe Wicked Will FR 2.3 ft, Ardent 2.4 rr. Gravity light cranks.

Submitted by Cody a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2012

Strengths:    Fun, great feeling, good geometry

Weaknesses:    Weight....kinda...if you are very concerned about the weight a steel bike is not what you are looking for though

Bottom Line:
Picked mine up used for a steal of a price so the value factor is VERY high with me. This thing rides great, the steel frame sucks up some of the vibation and small hits from the trails but this thing will put the power down when you need it for sure. It feels "right" when you are on the bike, its a very easy to ride bike that makes you feel very comfortable no matter what you are doing.

Favorite Trail:   Beacon Hill Spokane Wa

Purchased At:   used

Submitted by Haines Mountain Biker a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Rigid steel frame with classic snappy feel. Excellent standover, my 10 year old can ride the large. Perfect geometry. Works great to translate trials bike skills to mtn bike. Great in terrain parks and tight hardpack trails. Rocks climbing better then any of my sussers on most terrain. Really fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    paint and decals not so great quality

Bottom Line:
I prefer 29 susser for long rides but for anything under 10 miles or smooth trailbed the hardtail is more responsive and better at technical. Pedal kicks from rear wheel hop, wheelies, rotating endos, this steel hardtail is better for applying technical skills.

Purchased At:   go huck yourself

Bike Setup:   Set up with reverb, 2x guide, Fox 140rlc. SRAM 2X10.XT brakes. Chromag stem. house wheelset

Surly Instigator vs Transition Trans AM

So I'm in the market for a used 26er hardtail. I've found a nice Instigator and nice Trans AM. Components on them are comparable. Any suggestions for one over the other?Read More »

Trans AM 27.5 Questions

Hey all, I’m considering buying a Transition Trans AM 27.5. I was originally looking to get a 29er, but considering how short I am — 5’4”, 29” inseam — I think a 650b bike would look more natural/fit better. I do have some concerns/questions I hope you guys can help sort out. 1) I can’t seem to ... Read More »

Anyone ride the new 27.5 Trans Am??

Im in the market for the new Trans Am and curious to see if anyone has rode/owns one. Pictures are always welcome! :thumbsup: I have all the parts to do a frame up build and would like to hear a ride report. My mine concern is my size choice, Im 6'0" and feel like based off the geo i fall somewhe ... Read More »

Kona Explosif vs Transition Trans-Am vs others

I am interested in buying a new 27.5 hardtail trailbike. I currently have a Turner Burner which I love, but I want a geared hardtail for endurance rides and for some of the smoother flatter trails where a 5.5" FS bike is overkill. I have fallen in love with the slack geometry of the Burner, and wh ... Read More »

2014 Trans Am Bike Race (4,233 miles of self supported road racing)

I know this is road biking but it fits in under bikepacking so I figured I'd post it here. Give it a look. [url=http://www.transambikerace.com]Trans Am Bike Race | June 7, 2014 in Astoria, Oregon[/url] [ATTACH=CONFIG]849119[/ATTACH]Read More »