Sette Shadow Freeride Hardtail

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

The Sette Shadow Frame has been designed with simple versatility in mind. Whether you want to run it as a freeride dirt jumper or as a no-nonsense singlespeed, then this frame is what you're looking for.

The frame is constructed of 7005 series aluminum tubing that is not only light but is tough enough to handle everything the trail can dish out. Both the top and down tubes are oversized and formed with a gusseted headtube and strengthened top tube and seat tube junction. The boxed chain and seat stays are built for strength with both ending in durable CNC'd dropouts and a replaceable derailleur hanger. It's your choice to run either v-brakes or discs because the shadow features both v-brake bosses and 51mm international standard disc brake mounts with full hose guides throughout the frame.

Submitted by jamesdegroat@gmail.com a Downhiller from Ski Town, USA

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2011

Strengths:    Strong aluminium DJ frame at a great weight and price.

Weaknesses:    Aluminium. I just love the feel of steel for any hardtail. Also, no horizontal dropouts makes it harder to run as a SS.

Bottom Line:
This thing is the best frame for DJ/4X at the price. You will not find a better price on a used frame than you will find this for new (maybe not anymore cuz these seem to be out of production). I had parts laying around and I found this frame on pricepoint.com for under $100 so I bult it up for nothing. Since then I sold it to a friend who is about 200 pounds and a DJ maniac and he shredded it for a couple seasons. This thing is still alive! I am only writing this because I'm amazed at the durability.

Favorite Trail:   Rainmaker, Trestle Bike Park

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   many other steel and aluminum DJ frames (P bikes, steelhead, shonky, ritual, absolut, etc.) As an avid FR, DJ, SS rider; I do not feel you need a $1000 frame to jump on but using a XC hardtail will really never work. If you want a xc bike and you are not that into DJ, do not get a DJ with a bunch of gears and a long stem. This is a DJ/4X bike.

Bike Setup:   MC battery, Mongoose Nugget, Steelhead, P1, Iron Horse Sunday, etc.

Submitted by rojomas a Weekend Warrior from Wheredafuqarewe

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2010

Strengths:    Good price, Nice welds, Matte black, Rides really smooth for having short chain stays, Easy to throw around.

Weaknesses:    Tire clearance at the bottom bracket yoke. Only comes in a 16.5

Bottom Line:
I didn't ride this bike much untill recently even though I've owned ti for about 2yrs. I originaly bought the frame to put my old parts on for bike to goof off on around town. I didn't intend to put it into the actual use on the trail. I rode it a couple of times on a pretty tame trail in Fullerton, Ca. and thought the front end was too light on the climbs. I thought maybe it was due to the short chain stays and the short wheel base. After all it's ment to be a Dirt Jumping bike, not a Trail bike.
Well my other hard tail bike had been ran over by a car and was destroyed. I don't like to ride either of my FS bikes in the rain due to the maintenance. So I decided to try the Sette Shadow as my hard tail AM/Trail bike.
I took the spacer out from underneath the stem and cranked the fork down to 85mm. Man what a difference. The bike now feels way more balanced. Now it climbs like a mtn goat, corners as if it's on rails and goes off jumps without the bike feeling like I'm going to loop it. Plus, with the "S" bend seat stays it's not too bad over bumps and jumps. I did have to change out the platform pedals though for a set of clipless pedals, The reason is that at speed my feet would start floating over the pedals. I'm guessing it was because of the short chain stays.

All in all, I really like this frame as a AM/Trail bike. This is a great frame for the money even if you don't use it as a Dirt Jumper.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   SuperGo Access

Bike Setup:   Old take off parts. Set up as a 1x9. Rock Shox Recon 130mm U-turn set at 85mm-100mm, RaceFace Turbine cranks, Hayes HFX-9 brakes, Bontrager Race Disc wheelset.

Submitted by Arron K. a Downhiller from Saratoga Springs, NY USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2008

Strengths:    The frame looks and feels great. I've built mine into more of a Freeride hardtail rather than a trailbike and have been extremely happy with the way it handles and responds to whatever terrain I throw at it. I've found that the bike handles very well in rough/technical sections and feels great in the air. Because of the way mines set up, it's not the best for climbing, but could be if built with the right components. The geometry is spot on for my uses which only adds to the many reasons why this frame is such a good deal.
The bike went together smoothly without any hassle which is always a plus in my book.

Weaknesses:    None that I've found!!

Bottom Line:
If you want the perks of a Freeride/Dirt Jump hardtail without spending the bucks, or if your looking for a second bike to mess around on and have a good time than this would be perfect. Even if you never plan on doing serious Freeride or Park riding this would work. The frame, price, and features that this has are second to none in its price range and even exceed those frames that cost triple its price. All I can say is the ride and feel of this bike beats the Santa Cruz I once had.

Favorite Trail:   Upper & Lower Dominion

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur 4X. This is the first Freeride/DJ hardtail that I've ever owned.

Bike Setup:   FRAME: Sette Shadow
GUIDE: e13 STS
DERAILLIER: Shimano Ultegra; double
CASSETTE: Shimano Ultegra; 11-21
CHAIN: Sram PC-88
TIRES: Kenda Nevegal; 2.35"
WHEELS: Mavic XM 321 rims, DT Hugi Hubs, DT spokes

Submitted by Chad a Weekend Warrior from Virginia

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2008

Strengths:    very strong, looks great

Weaknesses:    would prefer a QR seat collar, as mentioned before

Bottom Line:
very good frame for a very low price. many prefer a different head tube angle, but we all know how quickly a new bike build can break the bank. unless you're really really obsessed with getting everything perfect, or do not care about money, save yourself hundreds right off the bat with this awesome deal.

Similar Products Used:   steelhead

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Dirtjam Pro SL and all freeride parts

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Chandler AZ

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my previous review below. The more time I spend on this bike, the more I like it. However I've also realized it's shortcomings as a trailbike. It basically comes down to how you prefer to ride. If you like a quick snappy bike that likes to jump off everything on the trail, then this frame is for you. The Shadow is essentially a dirtjump frame, so it's attitude shouldn't be big surprise. The downside comes when you are moving at high speed on rough terrain. The wheelbase is just to short for that. This bike loves to eat fast smooth singletrack, but as soon as you hit rough stuff, the bike just feels out of place. Also the short chainstays and stiff box section back end tend to beat your legs up in the rough. I have experimented with three different forks on this bike. A RS Revelation 130mm, Marz Z1 sl 150mm, and RS Pike 140mm. The Revelation was awesome, but I wanted more stiffness up front to handle my weight. The Marz was just to tall for the frame, and made the bike feel kindof rediculous for cross country riding, but did make the bike more stable bombing down hill. The Pike is what's on there now, and I thought it would be a happy medium between the two, but it still feels a little tall. If I were to recommend a fork, I would say don't go over 130mm, because that seems to be the perfect number. This frame is a lot of fun, and I have no regrets, but if you wanted a little bit better all around trailbike frame, I would suggest looking at something like a Cove stiffee, Banshee scirocco, or even Transitions new Vagrant.

Bike Setup:   All mountain parts with a Pike dual air up front

Submitted by jeffrey a Downhiller from columbu, oh, america

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2007

Strengths:    strong squared chain/seatstays. setup as a single so it is a very simple bike. so far it has held up on small drops and steps.

Weaknesses:    the steer tube angle is so tight. it is approaching 90 degrees with the ground. i have a 100mm fork on it and i still feel a bit awkward on it. i have never had a dj bike though so i am not sure what the standard angle is.

Bottom Line:
i dig the frame, but feel the steer tube could be a bit more angled.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   ss, azonic outlaw wheels, avid bb9s, holy rollers

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Chandler

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2006

Strengths:    Extremely stout frame, nice durable finish, rides awesome!

Weaknesses:    none, except it might be nice if it came with a QR seatpost collar

Bottom Line:
I just swapped all my stuff to this frame from my Reken frame this week, and have ridden it a few times. I made the switch because my Reken just felt too tall in technical situations. The Shadow is a much more livelier frame than the Reken. The low slung frame is so much better when you are hitting tight switchbacks, and just manuevering at slow speed. This frame rips up hills, almost effortlessly, but make sure you get a long enough seatpost to give you enough extension. This frame also goes down nicely too, but I would reccommend a longer travel fork, to slacken out the head angle, since 70.5 degrees is pretty steep. I also noticed that the bike rolls over things better without getting hung up on sharpedge bumps. If you grew up riding BMX bikes, then this frame will instantly feel comfortable. If you spent more time riding X-country mtn bikes, then the Reken is better suited to you. I loved my Reken, but this frame just brings out the kid in you, and is just more fun. Those worried about the frame only being offered in a 16" size, can look at the dimensions of a 20" Reken and see that the effective top tube length is pretty close. So just get a long seatpost and you are set. I'm 6'0 and the 20" Reken was a little tall for me with no extra stand over. The Shadow has a 4" shorter stand over hieght, so it works better for people like me who have longer torso's than legs. All in all another exellent frame from Sette.

Favorite Trail:   any