Santa Cruz Chameleon Freeride Hardtail

4.81/5 (111 Reviews)

It can’t change color, and it’s made out of metal, but the name is still appropriate. With a super stiff, sharp handling aluminum frame designed to run forks with anywhere from 100 to 160mm travel, an eccentric bottom bracket allowing for either geared or singlespeed use, enough beef to handle some hard abuse, but still light enough to climb like it means business, the Chameleon can be built up to do whatever you want.

Submitted by tyrebyter

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2013

Strengths:    Stiff, strong, versatile, simple

Weaknesses:    Stand-over a bit high, price

Bottom Line:
This is the 5th generation with tapered head tube and ISCG05 tabs. Built as a 650b with 140mm Manitou Minute and 20mm TA, 1x9. This is definitely a 'go anywhere, ride anything' machine. Built it stout to handle all the trails so it's not screaming fast but it's fast enough and can take a beating. Slack angles make it stable at speed, confidence inspiring on scary downhills. Love the simplicity. Not sure why the top tube curves up; wouldn't it have been just as strong if it curved down? Not a big deal, but could use a bit more stand-over. In any case, this one is a keeper.

Submitted by kattrap

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2013

Strengths:    versatile geo at any fork length and riding style, snappy rear end

Weaknesses:    wandering front on steep uphill in longer fork positions

Bottom Line:
I picked up my Cham used by a punk who had been running it (and probably smashing it) at the dirt jumps. No dings or even paint chips seen. From there it got a full makeover into a heavy all mountain wrecking ball and had a good couple of crashes. Then I switched it over into a single speed pump track / tabletops / street machine and have had a few more good crashes.
I dust myself off, check everything out and get back to riding. No babysitting the carbon bits or pivots - Ride it dirty, put away wet, repeat, change parts, ride it dirty, put away wet, repeat. Who knows what guise my Chameleon will have next year, but where ever I ride I have no fear that the Cham will take it all in and if needed spit me out like a bucking horse. I don't babysit the bike and the bike doesn't babysit me on the trails : If my line isn't clean I'll know it.

Adjustable seatpost and adjustable fork are best. My model is v3 (I think) before the EBB but after the head tube side braces were added. Horizontal slot rear can be a pain getting wheel off & on straight, this is probably not an issue with the current 2013 version.

I run 2.35 Kenda tires (model depending on conditions) and have never had issues with clearance.

Submitted by Bodenz a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2013

Strengths:    Geometry supports 1) higher speed & flow trail riding, 2) tap pump track, 3) dual slalom jumps
Strength to Weights is much better for all aluminum bikes for trail, xc and definitely the DS bikes
Great color and graphics

Weaknesses:    It looks "slower" than what it is capable of.
Its seat tube is much better if shorter..

Bottom Line:
The best all around bike ever had...

Submitted by SCMTB1

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2013

Strengths:    im rolling on 650b 2.1 crossmark rear, 2.25 ardent front! climbs like no other bike i have ridden, decends with such control you think twice about braking! 0 flex where it counts :) value in its finest form, and so versatile!

Weaknesses:    weight it a tad on the high side, not a huge colour range to choose from

Bottom Line:
most versatile machine i have come across, upto 80-160ml travel optoins, ebb up to 2012 models, rock soild fames! im using the x-fusion velvet with 130ml travel and beating 100ml carbon racehorses on x/c tracks :) just feels so in safe and controlled even with the 650b wheels, plenty of clearance below! although i am thinking about a s/s conversion and a new rocky mountain altitude 650b soft tail for those comfort rides

Submitted by mtnmark a All Mountain Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2012

Strengths:    Solid performing hardtail! Good value and super versatile for whatever style riding you want. On a whim I set mine up as a single speed and it has become my go to for short weekday rides, wet weather, pump tracks or if I am riding a smoother/flowy trail. Great ride, and I am really happy with the SC's new and improved powder coating.

Weaknesses:    1 1/8" Headtube- Only bc it doesn't fit some of my newer forks. I guess SC wanted to add a taper, but said it looked silly when prototyping it.

Bottom Line:
Great, versatile bike. Can be set-up however you want to ride it, so great to have one in the garage.

Favorite Trail:   Lots

Purchased At:   Yuba Expeditions

Similar Products Used:   SC Blur LTc, Heckler

Bike Setup:   SS with a rockshox recon 130mm (I think).

Submitted by Mtn Mike 2 a Weekend Warrior from France

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2011

Strengths:    Good weld quality, proven geometry - in other words it's great to ride, strong frame, capable of taking a STANDARD fit deep recess(cup) headset, single-speed option, lots of style...

Weaknesses:    Ridiculously small real world maximum tire size for this kind of bike in anything but sunny California. In muddy conditions you are limited to 2.25 if you don't want to grind holes in your frame. This is way off Santa Cruz's information of "2.5 being about the maximum." Be aware of this before buying.

Bottom Line:
Very good frame completely let down by not being able to run oversize tires. This could be easily fixed by Santa Cruz. There is little point in being able to put a 160 fork up front for downhill etc. with what are essentially only large XC tires on the rear. For example : in loose, mixed or muddy conditions - I can't seriously run a Schawlbe Fat Albert 2.35 in the rear and a Specialized Eskar 2.3 is only OK if I take steps to protect the chain stays. Overall happy in the (dry) summer but also quite disappointed the rest of the year. Will think more than twice before trusting Santa Cruz again.

Favorite Trail:   Bagnères-de-Luchon area

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain, Specialized and custom built frames on Columbus tubing

Bike Setup:   Hope Pro 2 20mm front and 10mm bolt through Hope Pro 2 rear, Pike 140(spring)fork, Alex-rims Supra-D, SRAM x.9...

Submitted by jlarson55 a Weekend Warrior from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2011

Strengths:    Others have said it very well below - It's stiff & responisve - great do it all bike.

Weaknesses:    Stiff

Bottom Line:
I agree with all the positive posts describing how responsive & stiff this bike is... how it's a great climber... excellent handling characteristics on the trail or downhill, etc...

The only thing I can add to all the posts... I'm 35 and a "smooth" trail rider. After a few rides on the rocky/rooted NW trails I got to borrow a Thudbuster seat post. I ordered one the next day.

I now run 2.4 F/R tubeless & the Thudbuster. I haven't had the though "I wish I had FS right there" since. I spend a lot of time out of the saddle – but that combo really takes out the constant little sting's you stay seated for.

I haven’t decided if I’m going to use it for racing – but for trail rides it’s staying on.

Favorite Trail:   Browns Camp, Sandy Ridge Trail

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   1998, 2002, 2007 Specialized FSR & multiple cyclocross bikes

Bike Setup:   2010 frame, Rock Shox Pike 426, Hope Pro 2's w. Stans Flow, Thudbuster seatpost

Submitted by theburls a Cross Country Rider from roanoke va

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2011

Strengths:    "Bottle Opener" this bike loves to go fast downhill, uphill, and anything else you can throw at it! It is my Super D racer with some superior strength and handling. This thing handles!!! Its tight in the turns and opens up on jumps and downhill; great bike.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding for twenty years and have had a wide range of rides; the Santa Cruz Chameleon has seriously impressed me. It descends faster than any fully I have owned, and is more diverse than any bike I have ever ridden. It's a strong climber as well.

Purchased At:   Just The Right Gear/

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z150 on the front with ryhno lite rims, the rest is history.

Submitted by sierrasta a Weekend Warrior from Geneva

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2010

Strengths:    I was looking at the reviews and had to post one. I have recently moved to Geneva, so know some fairly hectic trails which I normally cover on my Specialized Enduro or Santa Cruz VP Free. That said, I was keen to try my Chameleon out over here on the trails that attract almost solely downhill and freeride bikes. This bike is solid - the geometry is fundamentally outstanding - the bike can handle the most technical of trails you throw at it, with a short stem and 160mm of travel up front. It is incredibly versatile and robust, but most of all, reliable, trustworthy and supremely fun.

Weaknesses:    Happy to criticise, but there are no weaknesses to this frame. At least not the way i have it set up. Obviously you can't rail down trails at the same pace as a downhill bike, but if that's what you want to do, then you are missing the point of this bike.

Bottom Line:
This bike is seriously fun. It is awesome, and to a certain extent, the do it all bike. I was riding the freeride trails over here in Geneva last week and was inspired to write this as the experience is second to none. This bike has also been with me and hit the rockiest trails in Spain and South Africa - it is excellent. Serious quality. Worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   La Longue, Le Saleve, Geneva

Purchased At:   Built from Various

Similar Products Used:   Cove Stiffee

Bike Setup:   XTR front and rear mech, Saint brakes with 203mm rotors and drivetrain. Thomson seatpost and short stem. Fox 36 RC2 Talas forks. DT Swiss 5.10 wheelset Hope Hubs.

Submitted by TheMajor a Weekend Warrior from Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, light, well-built, no flex, good BB design, frame can ride any style

Weaknesses:    A little pricey but will ride well forever.

Bottom Line:
This frame is just the best hardtail you can buy in my opinion. Strong and light (not super light but light), It can ride any setup or style of riding. It is a hardtail that can run 160mm forks and not have any problem. I have seen people running triple clamp forks too.

The Chameleon is a great frame but there is one important point that is either love or hate. The rear end is as stiff as they come. You know what the back wheel is doing and where it is. That makes for a rough ride if you are from full-suspensionland. I love it, the back wheel goes where you want it to go and it is where you want it because the bike gives so much feedback. If you want to be a smoother ride then I recommend this back. If you want to be a mindless bomber of hills this bike is not for you. This bike is so ridge that if you don't pick your lines you will be dead at the end of the day. You will see people with suspension seat posts for this reason.

Great bike and is super stuff. So if you are not smooth = stiff the next day. If you are smooth, you will beat the full-sus guys to the bottom. I haven't ridden a better hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Monkey monsoon fighting squirrel trail

Similar Products Used:   Kona Cowan, Cindercone, Firemountain, Azonic DS1, Merlin

Bike Setup:   Chameleon, Fox vanillas 140 RLC. XT groupset, Hopes on tweet tweet rims, Avid Elixir R brakes

Submitted by longviewsyndicate a Weekend Warrior from longview, wa u.s.a.

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2010

Strengths:    stiffness, does everything pretty damn good, looks awesome

Weaknesses:    i look too cool riding it around...

Bottom Line:
i had one of the older chameleons that i never should have sold... so i bought a newer frame. felt good right from the start on the thing. tracks great, does everything expected. never feels out of place. the bottom bracket thing is a little strange, but seems to work ok. buy it, ride it, love it. everybody should start out on a hard tail, i think you become a better rider for it. i went back to it after a number of full suspension bikes, glad i did.

Favorite Trail:   angry pirate

Purchased At:   speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   p2, mullet, kona..

Bike Setup:   2009 chameleon, rock shox domain, single track hoops with king hubs, shimano brakes, truvativ cranks, gamut chain guide

Submitted by JPDX a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, Incredible handling that is predictable and gives confidence in rough conditions. Short wheelbase and geometry is great for quick steering and getting around technical stuff. Balanced front and rear weight.

Weaknesses:    Hurts my arse when hit big rocks and roots.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike for about 6 months, and I really expected to not like it much. The first month or so I basically hated it and wanted full suspension. I've discovered that riding an FS bike makes some trails too easy as you become a better rider. Riding this hardtail adds the challenge back and also the fun. The carbon bars make a huge difference, and running big tubless tires I find I can run it at 15-20psi in the rear and get a great comfy ride. This also makes the bike pedal really well with great small bump compression. I hardly have any pedal feedback unless it's a big root or rock. This bike handles so well it amazes me and just feels awesome and confident to ride even through rocks and off drops. Loves to jump and rail corners like no FS bike will ever do. This bike makes all but the most F'd up technical trails fun.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Bend

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper HT, fully rigid bikes, Turner DW 5 Spot.

Bike Setup:   Float 140, XT/XTR components with 2x9 setup. Tubeless Kenda 2.35 F/R, carbon bars. Weighs about 26lbs with pedals.

Submitted by yamahauler a Weekend Warrior from central coast ca

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2010

Strengths:    Looks,welds, mud clearence,bottle opener,beefy frame,everything!

Weaknesses:    NONE!!

Bottom Line:
This is the sickest hardtail i've ever ridden. Dont see any reason to ever buy another bike.Just like everyone says on here this bike does it all!!Fast,fun,climbs good. BUnnyhops killer,wheelies.manuals.ext. SO stop hesitating and go out and get the best hardtail money can buy! You won regret it.

Favorite Trail:   any trail