On-One 456 Freeride Hardtail

4.56/5 (27 Reviews)

A 35mm tube, 0.9mm at the ends and 0.6mm in the middle. Compared to the 28.6mm top tube on the standard inbred it's 50g heavier, but about 40% stiffer and 60% stronger in frontal impact.

Submitted by obs08 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2014

Strengths:    great price, nice build quality, rides awesome

Weaknesses:    paint could be a little better, got a few nicks putting it together but eh its gona get beat up anyway

Bottom Line:
order this as a basis for my first build, evo 456 II frame in paprika red. 5'9", 16" frame fits me perfect with a 50mm Easton haven, 1" risers and straight post. im a 26" guy, a hard tail guy, and now officially a steel frame guy. I had a budget iron horse maverick 5.0 I used for a few years to get into the sport and learn a few things than decided I wanted to build my own bike since it was time to upgrade. ended up getting evo frame for 329, took a few weeks to get but I was in no hurry. out of the box looked good, no assembly problems whatsoever, everything fit like it should. I did use eastwood rust proofing on the side of the frame because its very muddy where I ride. I paired this frame with a sektor rl 150mm, azonic outlaws, 1x10 set up, 203/180 bb7 brakes. the difference between my old aluminum iron horse and this steel 456 is absolutely incredible. the 150mm fork is probably the top end for the geo of this frame but it still climbs like a freakin goat. doesn't feel close to the 31lb it weighs (the outlaws are getting removed in order of haven mags to drop 2lb). it rides so plus, handles incredible, loves to have fun pulling the front wheel or catching air. I honestly cant find a fault with the frameset especially at the price range. I am so in love with this frame, I am going to order another one. it is so predictable when riding, it doesn't surprise you and the steel frame soaks up just the right amount of bumps while still feeling planted. do yourself a favor and add one of these to the stable

Purchased At:   planet x

Similar Products Used:   haro mary, iron horse maverick, redline monocog

Bike Setup:   150mm sektor rl, Easton haven stem 50mm, answer plaid risers, raceface evolve crank, 30t wide narrow chain ring, shimano zee shifter/read derailleur/10speed hg81, azonic outlaw, cedric gracia soft condition 2.35, 15mm qr, azonic step down bolt on rear axle, blah blah

Submitted by Tom

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2013

Strengths:    Carbon 456: stiff and light

Weaknesses:    Consider getting the raw finish. Mine is white and the scratches show. If you use single speed swap outs, they are not compatible with on-one chain tugs. Rear triangle is punishingly stiff.

Bottom Line:
I have set this bike up a few different ways. This review is for the carbon 456. I have an x-fusion 120mm fork with the 15mm thru axle that is designed to run with 650b wheels. This is a VERY stiff frame. It is a bit more punishing at high speed over rough terrain than your typical hard tail. I am set up with 650b Stans Crest wheels and Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires which are tubeless. I am using the horizontal swap outs and running a single speed setup.
This is a great frame for single speed, because of the light weight and incredibly stiff rear triangle. You get instant and complete response to your pedaling input.
The frame accommodates 650b wheels easily.
Do not buy On-One chain tugs for this frame. I had to grind a ton of metal off of them to get them to fit into the available space.
I also had a steel summer season a few years ago, which I sold to a friend. If you want a steel hardtail, the 456 is a great bike. If you want a carbon 650b single speed hardtail, this frame is terrific. I know that's not it is made for, but I think it is probably the best thing you can do with it.
It is a very inexpensive carbon frame. I have a Yeti Big Top which has a nice compliant carbon rear triangle. This is not a sophisticated carbon frame. It is stiff to the point of being harsh.

Submitted by BikeAdvocate a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2013

Strengths:    Geometry, Strength, Weight, Color

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
Summer Season is the best feeling hardtail I've ridden. The slack head angle is awesome for going down. It offers amazing control and is very encouraging for you to push the limits in your cornering, tech. sections, whipping it out, and drops. Just remember the fundamentals of riding as you push your limits or things can get messy fast!
My 456 is not set up to climb yet I can still keep up with those 29ers with there more upright frames.
I purchased the frame from a local dealer building the rest piece by piece. Not the most cost effective, but in the long run it made for a sexy, aggressive all mountain set up.
I put this bike together after selling my DH and DJ bike so that I could have a great all around bike that could handle some technical descents, climb well, and still have fun off jumps or just XC stuff.
Overall: This bike will remain one of my favorite bikes and I'm sure it will last quite a long time.

Favorite Trail:   TIme Warp to Catwalk to toothpick to Alice to... Ashland

Bike Setup:   456 Summer Season, RS PIKE 454 U-turn (95-140mm), Code 5 brakes, X-9 drivetrain, CB candy pedals, Arrow racing rims and tires

Submitted by BillyMAc

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2012

Strengths:    Price, build quality, fun factor, strength, too many to list really

Weaknesses:    On the heavy side but is to be expected with a steel all mtn frame especially when set up with downhill parts

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing. I had been riding full suspension bikes since probably 2005 and thought it was the way to go. I had all types of issues relating to the suspension. By that I mean I could never get things set up just right. Something always felt off. I purchased a new Giant Trance X1 in 2011 and used most of the leftover parts from my old Gary Fisher Cake 2Dlx to build up a 456. My intention was to have a fun bike for the small local trails I ride at lunch and after work and for riding around town and then use my "real" bike for longer more intense rides on weekends, etc. Well, my Giant had some issues and had to go to the shop so I took my 456 on a few bigger rides and I haven't been back on the Giant since. I added some Maxxis Ardent 2.4's running about 30PSI and this bike is more fun than anything I've ever ridden. I've ridden quite a few hard tails but they were always in the XC and XC race category. This bike with a 130mm fork and fat tires is just a pleasure to ride. It climbs wonderfully compared to my FS bikes and descends almost as fast. It may not be as fast as some of my friends FS bikes on the Downhills but it feels twice as fast and I'm always the one with the biggest smile at the bottom. This bike is just fun. The handling is very precise ans snappy and the stability at speed is great. There is a learning curve for going fast downhill on a hard tail but once you figure it out you become a better rider. I have taken huge steps forward in my riding with this bike. I think for me there was always something lost in translation between the trail, the suspension, and me on FS bikes. I felt like I was missing one of my senses or something. I think I just wasn't getting that direct feedback from the trail like I am now with the 456. I thought the solution was to get a newer, better, more expensive FS bike. Boy was I wrong. I'm probably going to sell the giant and use the $$ to build some new wheels for the on-one to shed a little weight and stiffen everything up. I also plan to switch to tubeless with the new wheel set to enable that low PSI that makes all the difference on this bike. New 140mm or 150mm fork may be in the future as well. The only bike that could pull me away form this 456 would be a 29er 456. On-one, are you listening????

Submitted by SCV a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX United States

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2011

Strengths:    Strong, good geometry with a 125mm fork, well-made for the price. Buy this frame if you like technical riding, stable geometery, and a bike that can take more abuse than the average hardtail.

Weaknesses:    Limited choice of colors. Don't buy it if your're overly concerned with the weight of your rig, 'cause it's a bit heavy compared to other hardtails. Also, if you prefer bikes with a 71°+ head angle, don't bother with this frame.

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic bike for my purposes. It tracks in a predictable, stable manner up, down, and all around, and exhibits good vibration damping characteristics. The ability to accept a 2.5" tire is a bonus as well. The whole package weighs in at ~32 lbs., but I feel more comfortable taking it on a 40+ mile ride at the Rocky Hill Ranch, or on a loop or two at City Park than any of the lighter bikes I've owned, full suspension included. The head tube and BB shell required virtually no facing in preparation for the build. When I break it, I'll gladly order another one. Cheers to everyone at On-One, and thank you!

Favorite Trail:   City Park

Purchased At:   Direct from On-One

Similar Products Used:   Cove Handjob, Bontrager Privateer

Bike Setup:   '08 456 frame, Fox 32 Vanilla 125R fork set to 125MM, King ISO hubs/WTB Laserdisc, King BB, King HS, Thomson stem and seatpost, LX crankset, X9 trigger shifters, WTB Weirwolf LT 2.5"s, Time Aliums, etc..

Submitted by Guyechka a Weekend Warrior from colorado

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2011

Strengths:    Everything is a strength. It's just about perfect.

Weaknesses:    None at all!

Bottom Line:
This is my go to bike. I though it was a little strange at first with 140mm up front and nothing in the rear, but it works. It climbs exceptionally well and descends just as well. It's still fairly light considering it's a steel frame meant to take abuse. Plus, those seat stays are just pretty as can be.

Purchased At:   on one

Similar Products Used:   Ragley blue pig.

Bike Setup:   Nothing special, stuff I found cheap online.

Submitted by RockinTheCasbah a Racer from Corona, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2011

Strengths:    Summer Season: Best handling hard tail I have ever ridden. You can pedal it up as well as any trail bike then bomb down faster then any other hard tail made.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy , non replaceable hanger

Bottom Line:
By one, this is longest running bike in my stable. Be prepared to have this bike in your stable for a long time. Ive tried to ride another bike and just can't find a happier medium then the Summer Season.

Favorite Trail:   Santiago Oaks

Purchased At:   Planet X

Similar Products Used:   On-one Carbon 456

Bike Setup:   Pike 454 air, Str8 tracks, hope 15 degree stem,

Submitted by Tjay a Cross Country Rider from N. Cal, USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2011

Strengths:    Small bump compliance
Great Geometry
Nice color and logo's

Weaknesses:    Weight for 14" Small frame = 5.00 lbs

Bottom Line:
I have a XC carbon HT and use to have Scott Genius (FS): When I ride my Carbon HT, I know I'm riding a hardtail. On my Scott, the bike doesn't have a small bump compliance for a full suspension bike. My On-One 456 steel on the other hand, I forget that I'm riding a hardtail but it reminds me when I hit those drops of bigger bumps. It is still a HT.

I can't believe how smooth this bike is, it's amazing!

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs Point Trail

Purchased At:   Direct at On-One

Similar Products Used:   None yet. This is my first HT frame with this kind of geometry.

Bike Setup:   Too many to mention but It has $3200 USD worth of weight weenie parts... 23.5 lbs with 150mm Fork and 4" Gravity Dropper

Submitted by plantme777 a Weekend Warrior from Pfafftown, NC USA

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2011

Strengths:    Value, Steel compliance, GREAT handling and strength

Weaknesses:    The top tube cable/brakeline guides are full round, so you have to bleed hydraulic lines to run them through their routing.

Bottom Line:
GREAT Bike, especially for the $...which matters very much to me. It is all it's cracked up to be, for sure. However I still think I prefer some rear suspension. This bike can handle anything you ask it to, and is happiest at speed. Fantastic geometry with the full six inches of travel in the front, but as I ran the forks down in the 120mm-100mm range I did not think it was as magical. Climbs well. A wonderful all around bike. I am 200 lbs and 5'11" with a longer torso than legs...18" with a 70mm stem is right on for me and the bike has taken MUCH abuse with aplomb. Happy owner.

Favorite Trail:   Kitsuma

Similar Products Used:   Lots of full susp. bikes in the 5"-8" range. Vassago Bandersnatch (steel 29er-great bike)Old school aluminum hardtails

Bike Setup:   PIKE 454, 1x9, Sun Singletrack 29mm, Hayes 9, Conti. Vert. Pro...mid range parts (30.8 lbs)

Submitted by gravityfreaky a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2011

Strengths:    This is for the 456 CARBON. It's Light. Dialled go fast ride hard big mountain geometry. Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Perhaps a tad long in the top tube. Finish is pretty crap. Got sent wrong dropout mounting bolts (but they fixed me up so all good).

Bottom Line:
First hardtail in years makes me question my need for a dual sus. Ridiculous awesome geography - possibly best handling bike I've owned (many DH / AM bikes). Carbon is incredible at absorbing vibration making it a comfortable yet stiff ride (a contradiction I know). Only the low budget clear coat finish detract which is why it gets 4 chillis. If you are an aggressive rider possibly from a DH background and want a hardtail - this is THE bike. If you're an XC rider then this isn't the bike. Think of it as an all mountain 6 inch travel frame ......without the six inches.

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list

Bike Setup:   36 Talas, zero stack headset. 1x9 drive train with mrp mini g guide. Mostly SRAM everything and a KS adjustable post.

Submitted by aceospades1250 a Cross Country Rider from Aliso Viejo, CA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2011

Strengths:    Burly, slack, Very fun geometry, ISCG tabs, can take 160mm forks, cool raw finish, well built

Weaknesses:    Heavy, not the best climber

Bottom Line:
I had lots of choices of frames to choose from when I decided to transfer the parts from my aging FS to an all-mountain hardtail. The Summer Season just sorta fell into my hands but it turned out to be the best fit for me and the kind of riding I like to do. Its an excellent frame, really burly, fun geometry, well built, and a pretty nice raw finish. The head angle with a 160mm fork is something ridiculous like 64 degrees, so it doesn't climb as well as most other hardtails, but it makes up for it in downhill performance. Also a little heavy but that's expected in a steel frame. I definitely recommend it if you are looking for a do-it-all hardtail with the emphasis on the downhills, but not if you are looking to build a pure XC machine

Favorite Trail:   Skinsuit, Telonics

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   1998 Specialized Rockhopper

Bike Setup:   Raw 456 Summer Season, Rockshox Domain 160mm u-turn, SRAM x7 1x9, Avid Elixirs, Truvativ bits

Submitted by aj hassan a Cross Country Rider from kuala lumpur,malaysia

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2011

Strengths:    slack geometry,long wheelbase,ability to use 150mm forks.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
needed a hardtail trailbike & this is it.it can do the trails & downhill & can keep up with many full-sus bikes.superb bike.

Favorite Trail:   kiara hills

Purchased At:   on-one direct

Similar Products Used:   corratec superbow ti

Bike Setup:   xt groupset,hopes tech4 brakes,fox talas 120-150mm,ztr flow on hopes pro 2 hubs & dt swiss revelation spokes, thomson seat post & fizik gobi xm krium, controltech 80mm stem & low riser bars.panaracer rampage 2.35f & 2.1r tires.

Submitted by akaktm a Weekend Warrior from Valencia, CA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2010

Strengths:    This is for the Van Nic Ti 456: Well made, nice craftsmanship vs. price relationship. Fast shipping and relatively good response from On-One.

Weaknesses:    Ti Version has odd geometry that compromises handling and fun as well as makes it a harsh ride for a Ti bike.

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a Van Nic Ti 456. It's a well made frame, although not quite as nice as my mate's Lynskey, but the price is very fair for the quality. Unfortunately, the geometry and ride quality aren't as favorable as the Lynskey version. The older model Ti 456 seemed to ride more smoothly and forgivingly due to the masterful tube work of the Lynskey folks. The new Van Nic seems stiffer and more harsh.

It's also worth noting that the new Van Nic Ti 456 is very, very slacked out. Mine measured around a 65.7 degree head angle with a 140 fork (no sag) and has a longer than expected top tube. This makes for a very long wheelbase and slow handling bike--albeit very stable. To compensate somewhat, I spent some coin to add a Cane Creek Angleset to decrease the head angle by 1 degree and put on a custom 130 Fox fork. This helped, but it still has a head angle of around 66.5 degrees. That's more slacked out than either of my AM bikes with 150 forks.

In summary, the Van Nic model is well made, but has rather odd geometry. If I had it to do over, I'd not purchase this frame. I have written On One asking for suggestions. I'd like to either have the Lynskey version or have them suggest another option. I'd like to see this frame with a 0.5" shorter top tube and an effective head angle around 68.5 degrees. It's be much livelier and more fun for most situations (in my opinion).

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Pinos