Norco Manik Freeride Hardtail

4.57/5 (76 Reviews)

Submitted by norcomanikack a Downhiller from toronto, ottawa, ontario

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2010

Strengths:    great bike, great brakes, light enough, good tires, solid frame

Weaknesses:    fork would be better if it was air

Bottom Line:
this is a great bike, just bought it about a month or so ago, only paid 1250$ cad plus 13% tax on it, i didn't have enough money to get a full suspention but so far this bike is looking golden. i have the 2010 model. i bought the last one norco ever made of this model, but if you can find a used one i recomended it to anyone who is in to not just one style of biking because you can do DJ, light DH, and even some XC.

Purchased At:   sportek

Similar Products Used:   first real good bike for me, had 09 diamondback recoil before

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Khaled a Cross Country Rider from abbotsford. bc. Canada

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    Totally good all around trail ridin bike.

Weaknesses:    braks are squeky but who cares

Bottom Line:
Good ass bike if ur into semi hardcore biking, if ur looking into hardcore racing and stuff spend the extra like 500 bucks.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   devenci, specialized, kona.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by kgmtb a Weekend Warrior from Sudbury Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2010

Strengths:    Strong Heavy Duty Frame
160mm forks= room for error

Weaknesses:    Its a little heavy but you get used of it besides that none

Bottom Line:
Indestructable bike at first may seen heavier but you get used of it. You need hydraulic pumps for legs to get this thing uphill but going downhill is a whole different story

Favorite Trail:   Laurentian Trails

Purchased At:   Pinnacle Sports

Bike Setup:   Factory Parts for now

Submitted by Steve the Dog a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2009

Strengths:    [I'm using 2009 model with marzocchi triple clamps]
Strong Frame, and parts. Holds together like a tank, corners well, good dirt jumper

Weaknesses:    [I'm using 2009 model with marzocchi triple clamps]
Heavy

Bottom Line:
Great bike, I thought it needed the Triple stuck on there to give it a bi more travel, great bike, really stong, wouldn't choose a different hard tail

Favorite Trail:   Anything

Purchased At:   Fortheriders

Similar Products Used:   Norco Bigfoot

Bike Setup:   Hardtail, Sram gearing, marzocchi forks, Truvativ Hussfelt crank, stem, seat post and handlebars, Sunrims, Kenda tyres and Avid Juicy 5 breaks

Submitted by francesco a Downhiller from quebec

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2009

Strengths:    stenght frame, very good disc brake,not heavy!,nice style and for finish very nice color!

Weaknesses:    the whelles are easy to bend!!

Bottom Line:
and for the one who whant to by that bike you wil make a good choise!

Favorite Trail:   downhill

Purchased At:   kijiji.ca

Similar Products Used:   norco sasquatsh

Submitted by chamzy a Weekend Warrior from Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Strengths:    Everything is great minus the tires.

Weaknesses:    Tires, can't wait to switch them.

Bottom Line:
This bike is solid! As my first decent bike I am 100% satisfied with its performance and its versatility. However, pedaling this bike requires hydraulic pumps for legs; it will take some getting use to. Also, I had to upgrade my bike rack as the Manik didn't fit my old one - might want to keep that in mind. Watch Norco's website for deals (which lead me to purchase this bike).

Favorite Trail:   anything

Purchased At:   Fresh Air Experience

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Geoff Doom a Downhiller from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2009

Strengths:    strong frame build, awesome geometry, suits most travel forks.

Weaknesses:    little heavy

Bottom Line:
this bike is BRUTAL! when/if you ride this bike you will feel compelled to jump that much higher/further and go that much faster, not to mention what drops it can handel.
definatly buy one. especia;ly the 2007 model, (best geo)

Favorite Trail:   anything that slopes segnificantly downhill

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   random hardtails over the years ( none this good )

Bike Setup:   double track rims, marzocchi 66 rc3's,

Submitted by DH Dan a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide,SA,Australia

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2009

Strengths:    Solid, strong bike
Light
Forks: 160mm of travel
Great components
Sick design and graphics

Weaknesses:    Nothing really

Bottom Line:
A great bike for the semi serious rider or someone (like me) that just loves hard tails. Can be used for anything. For example I commute, DH, XC, FR, DJ and do just about anything I feel like doing in the spare of the moment. It has great components and so I personally think it is great value.

All in all it is great value and a great bike.

Favorite Trail:   Fox Creek

Purchased At:   C.R.I.M.E Cycles

Similar Products Used:   IronHorse Yakuza Bakuto, Norco Atomik, GT DHI, Norco Bigfoot

Bike Setup:   2009 standard except for single chain ring and Truvativ Hussefelt chain guide instead of twin chain rings.

Submitted by LJ a Weekend Warrior from Spokane, WA, U.S.

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2008

Strengths:    Very strong frame. I have a large and have built it for skate park/dirt jump. I'm 6'3" with long arms, I don't feel cramped even with the seat lowered. Yes, stand over height isn't great but works for me since I'm a weekend warrior and always will be.

Weaknesses:    Not a big deal but.... notch the top of the seat tube in front not the back so less debris/finds, work their way in.

Bottom Line:
I don't think Norco intended this frame to be used as I do but I've been happy with it none the less. In the future I would like to go to a skate park/urban free ride specific single speed. If that happens I will throw a six inch single crown on my Manik and free ride at Whistler etc.

Purchased At:   Mt. Tabor (Portland,

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi DJ 3, Azonic Outlaw wheels, FSA cranks, MRP guide, Sram X9 derailleur/ shifter, Raceface seat post, King headset, Hayes nine brakes and Maxxis Holyroller 2.4 rubber.

Submitted by steve695 a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2008

Strengths:    I DO NOT OWN ONE BUT WANT TO BUY ONE BUT HAVE A QUESTION I NEED TO KNOW.
If I buy a 2008 Norco Manik in a Size SMALL will my feet rub on the front wheel if I turn with my crank out straight?
ANYONE who owns a 2008 Manik in a SMALL could you please measure the distance between the pedal when flat (with crank straight) and the front tire so that I can compare it on my own bike and see if I will have enough room.
Please let me know via email at stevenjellett@hotmail.com or simply add me to MSN and tell me please. Or send me a PM, either way works for me.
I will be greatful for anyone who does this and it will save me a lot of trouble.

Weaknesses:    I think it will be a great bike when I own one I will write a proper review when I get one.

Bottom Line:
PLEASE HELP

Similar Products Used:   I have a 2004 Norco Sasquatch and a 2007 Norco Rival

Submitted by mtber a Weekend Warrior from north shore sydney

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2008

Strengths:    definatly the forks 55r do the job well desined adj rebound and compression hayes strokers stop u on the trails great crankset and gears frame xtra strong this year norco have focused on the paint setup sick orange everywhere, norco freeride looks sick and doesnt hurt ur arse to much. syncros parts

Weaknesses:    brakes take a little while to wear in but once theyve done that no probs... notin else this bike is great

Bottom Line:
b-e-a-utiful freeride-allmtn-dirtjumper and some Xxountry hectic freeride hard tail, love riding it, this bike stands out(colour tooo) and i would recomend it to anyone looking for a freeride hardtail stand out bike

Favorite Trail:   the dam and findin jumps

Purchased At:   tbsm

Similar Products Used:   me old rival but thats nothin compaired to this, giant ac, gt ruckes, giant stp o6, o7, dun up trek jak, mongoose fireball(craap),norco kompressor

Bike Setup:   stock small frame

Submitted by Josh a Weekend Warrior from Abbotsford, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2007

Strengths:    Decent components, Feels very solid, Orange and Creme colour scheme is different but looks great on the bike. Riding position is very comfortable for all types of riding.

Weaknesses:    So far only the brakes (Hayes Stroker Ryde), stopping power is great but durability may be an issue, I already had to have one of the lever units repaired from a very minor fall.

Bottom Line:
After a number of years without riding my bike, I decided to get back into the sport. I didn't want to launch right into a FS bike so I did allot of research into different hard-tails. I was looking for something that would be good for climbing as well as the descent with a decent amount of travel.Coming from a light XC bike I was worried that the Manik was going to be brutal for climbing but I have been impressed with this bike in all conditions, even though it is much heavier than I am used to. So far the bike has been great, has handled all the jumps or drops I have thrown at it with ease and I always feel in control and comfortable when I ride it.

Purchased At:   Jack's Cycle, Chilliwack

Bike Setup:   Marz 55r, Hayes Stroke Ryde,Truvativ Hussefelt Cranks,Sram x-5 & x-7 Drivetrain

Submitted by will vb a Weekend Warrior from ballarat_victoria_australia

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2007

Strengths:    this 08 manik is one bomber of a bike sweet 55 fork and decent kit, i strongly recomend getting either a, 08 sasquatch, manik, or rampage(all basicly the same)

Weaknesses:    the hayes strocker brakes need a little refinement which is understanderble because they are 1st gen, but the get me stopped sharply and in time and thats what brakes are for right?

Bottom Line:
the bottum line is that this bike is increadibly diverse, the if you are a beginer get either; manik, sasquatch or rampage because they are incredibly diverse and are actually as close as it gets to a all round all mountain hardtail ive surfed the web and no other company offers a bike similar to these 3. Very forgivable for beginers It'l be your 1st and second bike then you may want a duely. Warning you should'nt buy this bike if you are a weight weenie, that being said they still cruise up hills nicely with the 18 gears.

Favorite Trail:   Blackhill