Jamis Komodo I Freeride Hardtail

4.14/5 (7 Reviews)

The Komodo was builtTo bravely go where few hardtailshave gone before: underThe buns of Jamis sponsored Jordie Lunn. WithJordie’s input, Jamis designedThe Komodo with slightly steeper geo, a1.5” headTube for optimal frontal strength, welded on a XAMTopTubefor lowered standover and increased lateral stiffness, pumped upTheseatTube diameterToTake a 31.6 post for a firmer pedaling platform,andTweakedThe rearTriangle so you could stuff 2.4”Tires inThere. Step out ofThe ordinary. Du

Submitted by maxxdout a Downhiller from Stroudsburg

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2011

Strengths:    Great price, great components, heavy duty, sleek design, complete awesomeness. I've heard numerous complaints about the fork but it's been completely fine for the past month. The preload adjustment is super easy and the fork is smooth as butter.

Weaknesses:    The crank seems to have a very slight wobble but it doesn't seem to effect the performance. The bike is otherwise solid.

Bottom Line:
For $350, this is the best fr/dirt jumper around. It's a heavy duty bike with awesome components and good looks.

Favorite Trail:   The Maze

Purchased At:   JensenUSA

Bike Setup:   Completely stock

Submitted by JSBehun a Weekend Warrior from PA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2011

Strengths:    very strong frame

unique geometry which is surprisingly comfortable on long rides

sharp looks

Weaknesses:    questionable components

mechanical disc brakes

Bottom Line:
The komodo is a very cheap bike for what you get. The parts aren't so great but i like it that way because i intend to upgrade it extensively. I've only had minor issues with the bike that were basically my own fault, all of which you could solve with a hex wrench. I recommend this bike to anyone who enjoys riding hard and upgrading their bikes, also to anyone who is just looking for a knock around bike or beginner's bike.

Favorite Trail:   PMPA Carved Out

Purchased At:   fitness central

Similar Products Used:   this is my first free ride hard tail ... and i love it!

Bike Setup:   stock for now

Submitted by MrKomodo a Downhiller from Marlboro New York

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2011

Strengths:    Fork, Shifters, Frame , Bars, Rims

Weaknesses:    Brakes,Grips (minior), Pedals sorta.

Bottom Line:
Sick Bike. amazing but it needs some minor componets change and geometry is wierd for Dirt Jumps. but besides that its an AMAZING BIKE A+++++++++

Favorite Trail:   Cronomer "Yard Sale"

Purchased At:   Bicycle Bananas

Similar Products Used:   2006 Kona Scrap? sorta.

Bike Setup:   2008 Jamis Komodo 1.0

Submitted by cafam1 a Weekend Warrior from staten Island, NY

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2011

Strengths:    geometry, can handle a 6" travel fork.

Bottom Line:
Purchased the frame for 80$ on ebay and could not be happier. I rounded up all my spare parts and created a no frills all mountain ride. This is a 2005 1.0 with the braces on the seat and chainstays. The bike is just fun to ride, especially with a long travel fork and large volume tires. I had a 90 mm stem with a 5 degree rise and the bike just did not feel right. I then put a sycros 70 mm stem with an 8 degree rise and wider bars and the bike feels perfect. Climbing is surprisingly well considering how high the front end sits off the ground. The front wheel never wanders. Jumping with this bike is where it shines, just point and shoot. I'm speaking just for the frame I don't know what parts it was equiped with from the factory and we all know subpar components can kill a good ride. I would definitety consider this frame for anyone who wants a hardtail do all bike.

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   Kona chute,Kona 5.0, K2 brass monkey,

Bike Setup:   xt 2by9 fsa bashring, Avid 185 mm bb disc, Marzocchi all mountain 1, mavic 519 chris king hubs. kenda 2.35 nvgl.

Submitted by Lunchbox362 a Downhiller from El Paso, Texas

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2010

Strengths:    The frame is really strong, it won't break on you. The geometry works for big bike DJ's and more freeride-ish stuff. If you build it up light it can also be a great all mountain bike. It just depends on components. The chainstay is short enough to really toss the bike around in the air too, it's super easy to do whips and the like.

Weaknesses:    The only weaknesses of the bike is the derailleurs which just aren't very strong or great overall, the brakes which rub no matter what unless you back them off to where they don't even touch the disks, and the fork which has 5 inches of travel but feels like it has 2. Those are really the only bad spots on this entire bike.

Even then, it's not as though those parts don't work, because they do and they hold up for a while, they just don't perform at a level most people expect. But they're just a few components, and they're easily replaced. Since I nabbed this frame at $440, it doesn't really bother me at all.

Bottom Line:
Awesome frame, if only the components were a tiny bit better.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Bananas

Similar Products Used:   Specialized P-Frame All Mountain

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by alexshirley a Downhiller from hurricane, utah, united states

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2010

Strengths:    very strong, beefy frame, looks amazing in person

Weaknesses:    snapped the front derailer on the first day I rode it, the preload adjustors on the forks barely work.

Bottom Line:
Very strong and burly bike. Great for freeride and light downhill trails. Great for normal trail and singletrack riding. It's decent for dirt jumping and street but not that good. I'd recommend replacing the derailer and the forks but other than that It's a great bike out of the box. So if you like freeriding, trail riding, and downhill trails but you can't afford a full suspension this is a great bike to get.

Favorite Trail:   grafton, utah

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   black market three57 (kinda similar?)

Bike Setup:   2009 jamis komodo 1. Single chainring up front and new lizard skinz grips.

Submitted by Jeabus McSpear a Downhiller from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2008

Strengths:    Strong frame, can take a hit (or alot of hits for that matter),

Weaknesses:    Brakes are crap, and my suspensions stuffed. Broke the cranks on the first day and screwed my derailluer.

Bottom Line:
Is a pretty good bike for the price. Don't let some of the stuff in the weaknesses bit put you off, it's probably just my fault but.... If you want something better go for a scott voltage

Favorite Trail:   My own one