Iron Horse Yakuza Waka Gashira Freeride Hardtail

• HFX-9 hydraulic disc
  • SDG I-Beam saddle

Submitted by Tyler a Downhiller from Boise, Idaho, USA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2007

Strengths:    Super tough, pretty light.

Bottom Line:
Buy this bike if you are into dirt jumping, urban, freeride, or trail riding. It is awesome!!!

Similar Products Used:   Trek Session 77, Specialized p.3

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Brian a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2007

Strengths:    Great components, light, great frame. Adjustable fork comes in handy. Brakes are amazing. Very well engineered bike.

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
This bike is great.I ride dirt jumps, street, XC, and some downhill, and this bike can do it all. Great components, great price. I tried finding a good freeride full suspension at $700 but there were none to be found. I have no regrets about buying a hardtail though. The big tires absorb a lot of the bumps and drops, and as long as your not taking it off any 15ft+ drops you'll be fine. If you have any doubts about getting this bike get rid of them and buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Bethpage

Purchased At:   thebicycleoutlet.com

Similar Products Used:   specialized bighit spec

Bike Setup:   standard

Submitted by matt ludwigson a Weekend Warrior from cheney, wa, us

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2006

Strengths:    Strongest frame ive ever rode. sram comps work great, 1.5" head, dual duty rims industructable, E13 bash and guide. Hayes hydr. 8" brakes, Stance flow fork burly and soaks up any terrain well.

Weaknesses:    fork is too soft stock. replaced spring, and works fine.

Bottom Line:
This is a very versitile bike that can handle anything that a full suspension FR bike can. It is pretty much industructable. Meant to be a free rider.
Great components + great frame = great bike

Purchased At:   performancebike.com

Similar Products Used:   kona stuff, jamis eurika, kona stinky, norco launch

Bike Setup:   everything stock except stifer fork spring. look up stock specks at www.performancebike.com

Submitted by JD a Weekend Warrior from Bainbridge WA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2005

Strengths:    great frame, sick componets

Weaknesses:    fork is a little soft, HEAVY

Bottom Line:
great bike if you got the dough a little heavy holds u great to any thing you got from trails to xtreme downhill
it takes it all

Favorite Trail:   freeride'n, dirt jumps

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   trek 6500, big hit, gf opie

Bike Setup:   mostaly sotck

Submitted by Tom Morgan a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2005

Strengths:    As listed in my previous review.

Weaknesses:    Ditto.

Bottom Line:
This updates the review below: I've had three weekends of trail time on the rig, and have an update. The tight and twisty single track of the Tapeworm in Renton really hilighted the advantages of a single crown fork that can be tamed down to 120mm of travel. With the seat up and the travel down this bike is an fun XC ripper, and holds it's own on the few small wood obstacles in the 'worm (a good teeter, some purpose built bog bridges, and a great little roller). Now this is a heavy bike and not a true XC ride (one of my racer friends picked it up and said "oof"), but the weight's not any appreciable hinderance for the kind of tight turning short up and downs on alot of the best XC trails out here. Big Finn/St Eds has some wide open single track and more rolling terrain, and the big really came into it's own there. Today I took it down to the local jump/freeride spot and sessioned some jumps, 3 to five foot drops to transition, and a nice table. This is where the big, overbuilt frame comes into it's own. I've hit this area on my STP2 and with the big (7x6) dual susser more time than I can count, and for much of it I have never rode better than with the Waka! The bike is stable in the air, super smooth on the landings, and the fork soaked it all up and still had an inch to give. That says something when I'm pushing 240 pounds and doing 5 foot drops. This bike is a terrific buy for someone in the market for a Shore-style hardtail, a bike that can pedal up the hills with the efficiency of a hardtail, but wants to hit whatever stunts, jumps and ladders that aren't crazy huge that they might find along the way. IH discotinued this model, the Waka, for '06 and only stocks the budget models so the Waka should be hitting model clearance prices in the next few months. Five chilis for this killer ride, I'm very glad I picked it up when I did.

Purchased At:   Stuporgo

Similar Products Used:   Ditto.

Bike Setup:   Ditto.

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2005

Strengths:    SUPER burly frame, excellent parts spec.

Weaknesses:    None that I can find yet.

Bottom Line:
I just picked this bike up last night. First impression is that it is an extremely stable and capable bike. I did a couple of drops to flat off the trolley platform by Occidental park today, and rolled and dropped some stairs and is has the beef to take any of that with ease. I have the 19" (I'm 6' 2"), and if I pull the post way up and drop the fork travel I have a tough trail bike, and if (as I started testing today) you drop the seat and open up the travel you've got a street and jump machine that doesn't crimp your back! So far I'm very impressed, I'll update after I hit the tight and twisty XC trails and do some woodwork with it this weekend.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Giant STP 2, Heavily modified Iron Horse SGS Sport.

Bike Setup:   Stock, but replaced the Chainguide with a bashguard.

Submitted by james a Weekend Warrior from lgnkgnnnnnn

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2005

Bottom Line:
u.

IH Yakuza Waka Gashira????

Does anyone have this specific bike??? I got this frame almost brand new for almost nothing and it looks super tough, especially with a 1.5 headset and stout welding. Is this a jumping bike??? From what little info I have got from researching this bike, it seems to be a very solid frame, but as I ... Read More »

Yakuza Waka-Gashira

Anyone ride/have one to comment? Reviews here seem all positive, I'm just wondering if it would be ok for light/med trails as well as the occasional trip to town, since it's meant to be more for jumps and such. I'd like to get into XC/downhill eventually, and this bike looked like it could take a ... Read More »

Iron Horse - Yakuza Waka Gashira

anyone with experience, good or bad with the Yakuza Waka Gashira? any thoughts on any of the information found in the current feature hardtail segment at revolution? I am interested in getting some feedback on the Yakuza WG, I have not ridden it myself, but I like the looks and parts spec... dir ... Read More »