Haro Thread Eight Freeride Hardtail

• Manitou Splice Comp 130mm travel fork
  • Truvativ Ruktion crankset w/ guard and Howitzer bottom bracket

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Jim Thorpe

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2007

Strengths:    Good solid frame, I have one of the frames with the "fixed" dropouts and they are holding up well.

Weaknesses:    For the $ its a good starting point. The finish scrapes off a little easy. The shifters are the biggest issue I have and plan on getting something better soon.

Bottom Line:
For a good starting point bike its tough to beat. It has decent components for the $ and the welds look good. It is holding up well and I'm over 200# and I'm a little abusive on my bikes.

Favorite Trail:   american standard

Purchased At:   pedlar bike

Similar Products Used:   trek 8000,

Bike Setup:   Stock for now

Submitted by shane hale a Downhiller from indiana

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2007

Strengths:    The wheels are off the hook nice double wall rims 130mm forks are pretty good for stock pedalsare sticky replacebal pins the frame is awsome light wait and beefy the cranks are awsome the head set is off the hook oversized handle bars the grips rock nice brakes everything works in unisin

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:
awsome bike everyone who says that the drop outs dont work right doesnt no how to use them or there retarded

Favorite Trail:   hueston woods

Purchased At:   house of biycycles

Similar Products Used:   giant yukon

Bike Setup:   stock for now

Submitted by Josh a Downhiller from Grants Pass, OR, 97527

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2007

Strengths:    Fork, Wheels, Tires, Crank, Casset, Frame (minus dropouts). pretty much everything is really well built and tough except the dropouts (but easily fixable), sram sx4 shifter, and bottom braket. over all i really like my bike. it puts up with A LOT of abuse! especially the rims. i have ruined many rims. but these rims do not have even the slitest bend in them!

Weaknesses:    DROPOUTS! came loose and stripped out in a week of riding so i just took out the hex bolts and replaced them like the review below says and it helps greatly! havn't really had any problems there any more. also the SRAM SX4 shifter broke so i got it replaced for free and then it broke again. the rear shifter is still good but the front shifter has a little plastic gear in it that breaks really easy. also the bolt to the bottom bracket stripped off.

Bottom Line:
This is a really nice, tough bike once you fix the dropouts in the back. if you don't your wheel will become loose, rub on the frame, also the brakes will not work properly, and you could end up bending your rear axle. But after fixing these problems i really like the geometry and feal of the bike! It's a great freestyle hardtail and will put up with a lot of thrashing! I only weigh about 150 but i do put a thrashing to my bikes!

Favorite Trail:   every where

Purchased At:   copland sports

Similar Products Used:   Kona stuff, specialized p.2, and similar.

Bike Setup:   Haro Zero Eight frame w/dropouts, Manitou Splice Comp 130 fork, Hayes MX3 mechanical disc brakes (8" front/6" rear), Pivit 6061 T-6 Aluminum Dual Walled rims, Pivit Disc hubs, TruVativ Howitzer Crank, TruVativ Hussefelt bar, TekTro brake levers, SRAM sx4 shifters, Sram sx4 front derailuer, Sram Sx5 rear derailuer, pivit stem, seat post, pedals, and stem, Kenda 2.35 tires, SRAM 8-speed Casset, SRAM chain.

Submitted by Abram a Weekend Warrior from Manitoba/ Canada

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2007

Strengths:    Light and strong frame, good for bunny hops, side hops and crazy for manuals, good headset and bars.

Weaknesses:    Pretty well everything, Fork, brakes,rims(WTF puts xc rims on a dj bike !?!?!?)Derailer, crank, dropouts, tires.

Bottom Line:
When I bought this bike roughly 6 months ago i was told it was about the same stregnth as my brothers "06 norco 125. Riding my bike for the first time i thought i was in heaven it was lightweight and i could pull the front end up easy, my brakes didnt work but it was typical for the few week break in process. A week turned into 2 weeks 2 weeks turned into a month a month turned into 2, this is when i went to the bike shop they told me it was just a flaw and to put some pad grease on to break them in faster, this desroyed my front brakes. at closer inspection I found that my #$%@$^ disk was on backwards so i switched it around still no front brakes, but this was only the start of my problems. later i had troubles with the crap DJ4 frok the put on my bike. It had not clearence with the 80mm i could bottom it out doing wheelies and i only weigh 140 but they told me thats how it was suposed to be so i went on. In the next month i bent my rims, not severly, but enough for it to be annoying. another annoying thing that i couldnt stand my friggin disks were rubbing, everytime i took it in they would fix it, a day later they would start rubbing again. I went on to the next month thinking my problems wouldnt get any worse but no not yet. Biking around for about 3 weeks everytime i got them tightend, my spokes would come loose and make that annoying clinking sound, so every three weeks i had to tighten my spokes.I was ready to sell this pile, trying to end the season with it i've been living out the last few months with my thread 8 i came across some dirtjumps,the first one i I hit my peice k-rad tire blows out, the bottom line is these tires are thinner then baloons and suck for street and dj. My advice is for the rider that wants a thread 8, u better just be starting the dj/street scene and u better not get any better resulting in endless breakdowns. for people with expeirience dont take this bike into any consideration. i started out with this bike and got better then my brother in 2 months then he did in 2 years this bike could not stand up to what I put it through and in my opinion haro reeeeeaally needs to work on making the thread 8 better

Favorite Trail:   Streets of Clear Lake

Purchased At:   A&L

Similar Products Used:   First remotely good bike ever

Bike Setup:   Stock Marzocchi DJ4,Sram X5 Derailer with X5 shifters, Sun Rod Hill rims, Cane Creek headset, Truvative crank with howitzer reinforcement, Hussefelt bars, Pivit stem, Pivit seat post, Kenda K-rad tires, Truvative bashguard/chaingiude setup.

Submitted by Corey McKenzie a Racer from Frostburg, MD

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2007

Strengths:    Good weight, perfect geometry, does what it was meant to do. Everyone who says the dropouts shift either has the 2006 Haro Werx and is posting on the wrong review or doesn't know how to work chain tensioners. I've ridden mine hard everyday for at least 2 hours since I've gotten it and the wheel hasn't shifted yet. Even 180's down bigger sets hasn't shifted it. The bars feel awesome, has a nice BB, headset, stem, seat. The cranks have been good for me, but I'm swapping out for some Profiles cause I have some laying around. The pedals are surprisingly good, they have replaceable pins and a very sticky. Chain guide works great. The Marzocchi forks do their job okay, they don't bottom out harshly when you take a big hit, but there's only 80mm to work with, so they do bottom. Better than a fully rigid BMX bike though. They pop nicely off lips.

Oh, they even send extra dropouts so you can run a single speed if you want to.

Weaknesses:    The day I got the bike I didn't pay much attention to the spoke tension when I was truing the wheels, and they were pretty out of whack after the first day. I re-trued them but now I have a bunch of tight spokes. Haro is warrantying it though, so I'll have to tighten them better next time.

Other than that, I haven't had any problems.

Bottom Line:
Way better than everyone else has said. After reading the reviews I wasn't sure about buying the bike. They really fixed all the problems this year.
Anyone who is looking for a bulletproof hardtail without spending a lot of cash, buy this bike.
If you're having problems with the wheel shifting, either take it to your local bike shop or call Haro. If it's a 2007 Thread 8 or Thread 1 there should be no problems with the dropouts if the tensioners are adjusted correctly.

Favorite Trail:   park, track, or street

Purchased At:   Adventure Sports

Similar Products Used:   Plenty of other hardtails, and plenty of BMX bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock, I swapped out the quick release seat post clamp for a normal one. I'm waiting on a chainring spider for my profile cranks though, and forks should be on the way next week. After that, I'm getting some wheels.

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from utha

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2007

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Every thing... even good parts that touch the haro frame turn to crap

Bottom Line:
i tried to buy the 05 but haro stop shipping them by June of 05 (apparently they sold out and were gearing up with the 06 model which is so much better)BS!!! i worked at a bike shop at the time and got full on discount and i still feel like i got hosed. so far the fork has blown twice, the front brakes tore out, i replaced the drop outs 3 times and they still dont work with the tensioner, and ive gone through 2 rear derailleurs. i now plan on completely modifying the drop outs buy changing to single speed and clamping both sides, and getting and even some what decent fork.(id take a walmart special over this manitou fork)but the worst part is haro states the the bike is built for abuse and ive been to afraid to ride it because it brake when i look at it. Bottom line is the bike is vexed. no one short of a death wish or being broke should look at this bike. i have now lost all faith in haro for repeating the mistake in there 07 models

Similar Products Used:   none even a wal-mart bike would ride better

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Christopher a Weekend Warrior from D. Grove, IL, US

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2007

Strengths:    Hopfully everything

Weaknesses:    Hopfully nothing

Bottom Line:
I just placed the order. I cant wait to get it. I used to ride BMX back in junior high and high school. I wanted to get back and do somthing active. My Zi is still holding up, at least the frame is. I will get back to all with a better review

Purchased At:   TREK

Similar Products Used:   Haro Zi (circa 1996)

Bike Setup:   stock*

Submitted by mike senkier a Downhiller from oradell, nj

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2007

Strengths:    the bike didnt evan make it to the trail

Weaknesses:    the bike did me nothing but trouble, thiers some defect in it, whenever i hit the back break or did a wheelie the back wheel would start rubbing against the fram. i had problems after problems that the store offered me a giant stp no extra charge and i happily took the giant and have been happy ever since

Favorite Trail:   moutain creek

Purchased At:   westwood cycles

Bike Setup:   the bike setup is great

Submitted by blake mills a Weekend Warrior from gold coast, queensland, australia

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2007

Strengths:    everything a great bike and is awesome, get 1

Bottom Line:
really good, brakes, frame, tires, rims,everthing i love it

Favorite Trail:   tabilban downhill, or skline terrace

Purchased At:   mikes bikes

Similar Products Used:   dunno

Bike Setup:   awesome stuff

Submitted by free rider 101 a Weekend Warrior from new zealand

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2006

Strengths:    strong frame good suspension light frame brakes

Weaknesses:    adjustable dropouts and the gap between the wheel and the frame is very small

Bottom Line:
i realy like this bike all you hav to do to fix the adjustable dropouts is to put locking nuts on the disk brake side were the elin key nuts are and then the bike is sweet as and ready to go i realy lik my bike

Favorite Trail:   whangarei parihaki dh/freeride

Bike Setup:   standard

Submitted by jim a Weekend Warrior from butte mt

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2006

Strengths:    forks, brakes, frame

Weaknesses:    adjustable drop-outs:
Here's the skinny. I bought some bolts from ace hardware that had the same thread and diameter. There are about 1/2 inch longer than the original bolts that came with the drop-outs. I only bought 2 because you only need to replace the ones on the side with the disk brake. Then I bought two lock nuts (with plastic locks that are inserted in the nut (so they don't rattle loose)).
First I scraped the paint off the adj. drop-out on both the front and back. This is to make a good contact with the metal of the frame. I replaced the original bolts with the new ones and put the nuts on the back side (next to the disk brake). This left about 1/4 inch of room between the nut and the disk brake. This is plenty of room. I then tightened the nuts and bolts as tight as I could. This has been holding up very well. I have only had to adjust the drop-outs one time in the last month. This was after a very hard downhill ride for about 2 hours. If anyone has any questions about the setup please contact me or post here. I will check about every week or so.
jdc.email+haro@gmail.com

Bottom Line:
Very nice bike if they get the drop-outs fixed.

Submitted by Andrew Cox a Weekend Warrior from Perth Australia

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2006

Strengths:    not much

Weaknesses:    new frame designe with adjustable drop outs!

Bottom Line:
striped the bolts on the original drop outs got sent new ones with tensioners broke these about 10 times before they decided to give me a da bomb xlr8r frame as a replacement no problems now stay away from haro's with adjustable drop outs! this bike is no good for any kind of riding!

Favorite Trail:   goat farm

Purchased At:   bike force

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   standard with truvativ box guide

Submitted by Jim a Weekend Warrior from Butte, MT

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2006

Strengths:    Frame, tires, forks.

Weaknesses:    Rear mounting bracket is very poor. It stripped the threaded bolts in less than one week. I'm still waiting for replacement.

Bottom Line:
I cannot recommend this bike because of the adjustable drop-out. You will have problems!

Submitted by Andy a Downhiller from Scotia, New York, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2006

Strengths:    Awesome bike i actually dont have this same bike i have the new haro werx zero wich is ten times better than this model. The components are a huge step up from the zero eight.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy for a hardtail.

Bottom Line:
An awesome hardtail the best i have riden. The components are the best quality and work amazingly. The bike is super easy to control on trails flat and downhill. Amazing dirt jumper.

Submitted by Steve Rose a Weekend Warrior from watertown

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2006

Strengths:    haro's customer service, the best I have ever seen!!!!

Weaknesses:    Ok this is my third review, I am not going to recommend to anyone that they purchase this bike. I was sent newly engineered drop outs which appeared to have fixed the problem but not so lucky. I actually got the tensioner bolt to round over the frame and damage it. the wheel is back in the frame and now it appears this design with the adjustable drop-outs is just fatally flawed. I did however contact Haro and with no questions asked they are sending me last years frame (no adj drop-outs). I will say they have been teriffic and I really feel that they are going the extra mile to satisfy me. So once again i am without bike---so basically if you dont want to be like me dont buy the zero- eight w/ adjustable drop-outs--buy a different model haro. i imagine this will be the first and last year of the adj drop-outs.

Bottom Line:
DONT BUY THE ZERO-EIGHT READ MY STORY!!!!!!!!!

Thread Eight problem

I bought my thread eight early last year. A couple months after, the front wheel was wobbling slightly, and the brake was rubbing against the pads. I took it to the bike shop and the guy trued the wheel. This helped for the wheel wobble but not so much the brake caliper. Just recently it has gotten ... Read More »

Haro Thread Eight Size

Hello Guys, it could be possible that i buy a 2007 Haro Thread Eight. I've looked at the 2008 Series and in my view the frame color is absolutely horrible. So i have to be quick to get one of the 2007 series before they out of stock. The question is, which frame sizes there are and which one i s ... Read More »

Upgrading forks on 2005 Zero(thread) Eight

Hey guys, sold my X3 I built last summer:(, but love Haro's too much so I bought an 05 Zero Eight. It is in the mail as we speak/type lol and has 100mm travel manitou splice's on it, they are blue. I will be looking to upgrade and want to know what you guys recomend. What is the max travel good/safe ... Read More »

Official Spring Epic Eight Hour Thread

Well, I am not sure what makes it official...But being it's the first relay race of the season for many of us, I figured I would get this going. Who's coming out? What category are you riding? And what are your expectations? It's another opportunity to ride the awesome trails of Manfield in a r ... Read More »

Will the Thread Eight fit a 2.5 inch tire?

Just curious about this. Im looking to purchase a dual duty trail/urban bike. For street I'd probably be looking to run a 2.5 inch hookworm. Could it work?Read More »