Haro Escape Comp Freeride Hardtail

• New Escape long-travel all-mountain hardtail aluminum frame.
  • RockShox Tora 302 U-Turn fork with 85-130mm adjustable travel.
  • Shimano XT rear derailleur.
  • Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic disc brakes with 185mm rotors.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by bnsteele5 a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati, OH

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2011

Strengths:    Solid frame, comes with good components, hydro disk brakes

Weaknesses:    Little heavy but you'll have that with a free bike and it still works great for me when mountian biking, daul crank instead of triple but I already took care of that. Also wish the rear tire had more grip on the acceleration, but it has no problem stopping

Bottom Line:
    Bought that bike for a great price for beinging an 08 and having a couple upgrades already, not mention it was practically brand new. I take it to the local mtb trails a couple times a week and it always treats me right and have a great time.

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Bike Setup:   Truvativ tripe crank 22-34-44, thomson elite seat post, dangerboy pedals. Other than that its completely stock and all I changed was the crank

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff Frame, handlebars feel perfect, geometry is stable and confidence-building at speed but doesn't feel sluggish on tight switchbacks or during slow speed work. Brakes work well, not the best but good for this price point. Kenda Nevegal tires are great!

Weaknesses:    Fork is too soft for my weight (195lbs) I know bike companies would never want to spend the extra cash to do it, but they should really put stiffer springs on their L and XL frames, not many people are 6'3"+ and 150lbs. Stock Pedals suck, stock stem is too long and really ugly.

Bottom Line:
    I'm 6'5" 195lbs riding a 20" frame and I really appreciate the long top tube. The bike fits me great, it feels stiffer, stronger and more slack than an XC bike. I've only been riding the '08 Escape for a few months but I really like it. I think I'll get an air sprung fork for it so I can dial in the spring rate but it's really a lot of bike for the money. Bottom line: This bike is perfect for riders who want to abuse their equipment without having to be so hard on their wallet (I do think I need a new beefy rear wheel though, I literally have to tighten my spokes after every hard ride).

Purchased At:   College Cyclery, Sacramento

Similar Products Used:   I rode an old hardtail Trek XC bike, and then a Full Suspension Specialized Rockhopper. The Haro fits me a lot better than the rockhopper, longer top tube.

Bike Setup:   70mm stem, stock riserbars, Stock Marzocchi 120mm fork, Stock Hussefelt Cranks, E. Thirteen Chainguide, Crankbrothers 50/50 pedals, everything else is stock and I don't want too bother listing it.