Gary Fisher GED Freeride Hardtail

• Shifters: Shimano Deore
  • Chain: Shimano HG73

Submitted by stube a Weekend Warrior from london

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2008

Strengths:    This frame & fork combo are as hard as coffin nails.
Good fun.
The spec is good for a bike in this price range.

Weaknesses:    Not the lightest bike out there.
The hard-core geomatry is a bit of a kick in the butt on bumpy trails after a long days riding.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. I love mine to bits.
Still running with most of the gear it came with after two years use & abuse. Use mine for X-country ,northshore, downhill, mucking about , you name it. Its not that light but then alas niether Im I anymore.

Favorite Trail:   aston hill

Purchased At:   Evans cycles

Similar Products Used:   Orange crush- Santa cruz chameleon

Submitted by jhemp a Weekend Warrior from Asheville

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2008

Strengths:    Extraordinarily stout as well as multi-useful. I've ridden the thing for over three years now and have crashed countless times either commuting, on the trail, the occasional downhill, or light DJing. It just goes and goes. I love this bike. Also, the components on the stock set-up are more than adequate for my needs.

Weaknesses:    At first I thought it was a little heavy compared to XC machines (yeah, I know...it's not a XC bike) and also thought it was a slow climber. As my skills and technique have improved, so has the ease in which it climbs. In fact, now I enjoy the climb.

Bottom Line:
It certainly is no superfast cross country racer but if you need a general purpose/jack-of-all trades type bike, this is it. If you can find one: BUY IT. I use it for everything and have gotten used to the wide bars (you could trim them down). It may be slow going up, but you don't won't to be in front of it on the way down. Great bike...it's a tank. It's too bad that it's no longer in production.

Favorite Trail:   North Carolina

Purchased At:   Youngbloods

Similar Products Used:   Specialized; Kona

Bike Setup:   All stock

Submitted by Royce a Downhiller from Brookings, SD, US

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2008

Strengths:    Super stout frame. I like the shock and the brakes. THis bike takes everything I trow at it.

Weaknesses:    Handlebars were a little wide til I chopped them down an inch and a half on both sides. I twisted the front wheel first day I had it at the skatepark. Everything else is sweet.

Bottom Line:
This bike Rocks!! It is the lightest and strongest freeride/dirt jump bike I've ridden (mine wieghs in @ 28lbs). If you can find it I recommend it to anyone who wants a super tough bike to handle what you throw at it. The other Fisher freeride bikes are good too.

Favorite Trail:   The streets and the skatepark are what I get to ride. I'll ride anything.

Purchased At:   Sioux River Bicycles & Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Trek Bruiser, Mongoose Ritual, Fisher Mullet.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock except the wheels. I also converted it to a 2 speed. My rear is a single speed DMR Revolver hub with a Sun Mammoth 36H Rim and super stout 4 cross twisted spokes (they don't even think about going out of true no matter what I do to them). My front wheel is a deore hub with a Sun Rhyno lite 36H rim with 3 cross twisted set up. I have a Paul Components Melvin chain tensioner to help me shift my 2 front gears. I also threw on some DMR MOTO RT tires for street and dirt.

Submitted by harry a Weekend Warrior from scotland

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2007

Strengths:    its a tank, through it off a cliff and u could ppick it up and ride! ive ridden a kona stuff and this is just much better! amazing value
the forks are realy good, 130mm of travel, ive never bottomed out! brakes are exccelent 8" front rotor and 6" rear! PEOPLE ALWAYS COMPLAIN ABOUT THE BARS, DONT LET A PAIR OF HANDLE BARS PUT U OFF, RIDE IT FOR A WEEK AND YOU WILL LOVE THEM!

Weaknesses:    climbing, set ur saddle height right and its easy!

Bottom Line:
it will take a right ppounding and still ask for more!
im only a kid and this thing can outrun adults on the jumps and forest trails! overall an amazing bike plus if your small (like me) it comes in a 13" frame!

I WOULD STRONLY ADVISE THIS BIKE FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT A TOUGH JUMP/FREERIDE BIKE THAT CAN HANDLE ANYTHING!

Favorite Trail:   glentress

Purchased At:   EVANS CYCLES

Similar Products Used:   kona stuff

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Jake Burgess a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2007

Strengths:    Frame is super tough, tyres quite grippy for stock, plush shock, nice strong brakes.

Weaknesses:    The seat post broke in the first two days but fixed that easily and the gears needed quite abit of attention. The bars are deffinately to wide, have narrowly escaped a few trees at high speeds.

Bottom Line:
Great bike!!! Some say not the best climber but with proper technique climbing is as easy as ever. Great deal for your money, if you see this bike going for under $1300 buy it. You wont be sorry.

Favorite Trail:   Bronwyns

Purchased At:   Gap Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Avanti Pro, Avanti Hotdog

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Lee a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2007

Strengths:    Strong yet light, great components for the money!

Weaknesses:    Not the best climber.

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike for the money. It has been through a lot and I have yet to have a single problem with it. I love the way it handles, though it is a bit unstable from a stop on climbs, but hey that comes with the geometry of this style of bike.
If cross country is your thing you may want to look elsewhere, but if you want an all mountain/light freeride bike that can do it all and take a beating to boot, then this bike is for you.

Favorite Trail:   National

Purchased At:   demo from LBS

Bike Setup:   19" GED (black), SAINT crank, SAINT rear derailleur (short cage), SAINT rear hub 20m, SAINT rear disc, SAINT shifter, WTB Power saddle, E-13 bashguard and SGS chainguide (removed granny gear), Maxxis 2.5 Minion DHF (front), Maxxis 2.5 High Roller (rear), Stan's tubeless kit.

Submitted by toby mackenzie-green from stirling, scotland

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2007

Strengths:    bombproof, great all rounder for the money! its seen some fairly knarly crashes and has come out smilin', unlike me!

Weaknesses:    the stock headset bust within the first week but it promted an upgrade.

Bottom Line:
i love this bike. without going full sus, it does everything that i want with passion.

Favorite Trail:   north third

Purchased At:   alpinebikes

Bike Setup:   switched to single speed, running halo sas front and back and dmr v8 pedals holding it all together!

Submitted by Shawnster a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2007

Strengths:    Where do I begin? It's a tank - albeit a plush and comfortable tank. Good tires, components, brakes... just the overall feel is a good thing.

Weaknesses:    Some people would say the bar width or weight, but not me. I'm a bigger guy, and I like to know where my bike is.

Bottom Line:
Well, I'm 6'4" and about 215 lbs, and I just can't push this bike to its limits. It's tough, beefy, and takes my abuse with a big ear-to-ear smile. It doesn't climb as well as I'd like (but that could be just me) but the downhill runs are superb. Straight and true, this machine performs - rocks, roots and drops all seem to fade under the confidence-inspiring 21-inch frame.

Bottom line: I love it.

Favorite Trail:   Mel's

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Will Hay from Gatineau, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2007

Strengths:    Tough as nails, well rounded, best package for the price.

Weaknesses:    jack of all trades but master of none

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome if you can only afford one and ride everything in sight. It handles well and climbs suprisingly for such a pig. Tough enough for medium drops and light enough for some trials/urban riding. Best parts combo for the money out there. Too bad they stopped making it...

Favorite Trail:   Multiple 'o'

Purchased At:   Bushtukka Great Outdoor Gear

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Komodo, Giant STP.

Bike Setup:   factory

Submitted by Jeffrey Niederle from Portland OR USA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2006

Strengths:    Everything is good. This bike could benifit from a better stem, peddals, and maybe a seat. Great geometry the bike feels tall, Not like a back crunching bmx. The fork is great for this bike. The build is great for a cross country freeride.

Weaknesses:    The bars are too wide unless thats you'r thing. The drop off fork could at LEAST have a external rebound nob. (But the fork has good dampining).

Bottom Line:
This is a very worthy bike. I use it for cross country, Dirt jumping, and some freeriding. Of course. For a bike you wont need to chang any thing this is a great bike. Even the stock tires side walls can take some bashings. I would reccomend getting this for the freeriders who know that this is not a down hill bike. This bike can handle some thrashing, but not huge DOWNHILL drops. Great components around.

Favorite Trail:   Name one

Purchased At:   bought from friend

Similar Products Used:   P.1, P.2,

Bike Setup:   Everything stock besides; Easton Vice, Kenda White Tiger 2.5(tires), 8 inch rotor in front, Also Diety Seat.

Submitted by John Leader a Weekend Warrior from Tennessee

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2006

Strengths:    great strong components, can handle anything XC; Downhill; Freeride; Dirt Jumping; all mountain,very strong frame, takes lots of abuse.

Weaknesses:    wide handle bars (easily fixed), bent the back rim dirt jumping

Bottom Line:
Very Stong, takes lots of abuse, handles any type of riding, go buy it.

Favorite Trail:   Lock 4/ Powerline(Snowshoe)

Purchased At:   Cumberland Transit

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain Flow, Trek Bruiser 2, Specialized P.1/ P.2

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Drop Off, Hayes Nine Disc Brakes, Sun Rims Rhyno Lite/ Bontrager Earl, Shimano Drive Train, Bontrager Cranks; handlebars; stem.

Submitted by Aldrick Maduro a Downhiller from Sta. Cruz, Aruba

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2006

Strengths:    In the last year I changed my riding style from XC rider to a DH rider. So I needed a frame that I can trust for the hardcore riding. A year later I can definitly say that I found it in the Bigg'ns frame. The tires Big Earl K hold up very well for the 'lose sharp rocky' conditions that we have here on the trails in Aruba.The Hayes Nine worked very well. The Drop Off also.

Weaknesses:    Had a few problems with the rear axle of the Rhyno Lite Sunrims, but we already fixed that at the shop.

Bottom Line:
Very strong frame, excellent tires, brakes combination for the 'lose sharp rocky' conditions here on Aruba. Great Bike for the hardcore rider for a very nice price. Thanks to the Ged I'm ready for the next step (fullsuspension King Fisher).

Favorite Trail:   National Park Arikok Aruba

Purchased At:   Tri Bike Aruba

Similar Products Used:   Tested the Trek Bruiser 2 from a friend a few times.

Bike Setup:   Stock. Handlebars costumed

Submitted by Daniel a Weekend Warrior from Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2006

Strengths:    This frame has such nice geometry(15.5 "). All the components are very dependible, and perform very well. Tires and rims are very bomb proof. Very nice handle bars, look super strong. As soon as i got this bike it was soooooooo easy to lift up and manual/cat walk. On my old Bigfoot, your arms get so sore from lifting up. This bike is super light(around 33lbs.). It improoved my bunny hopping sooo such. Hayes brakes are super smooth(no effort to stop fast). The marzocchi drop off is nice and smooth. If filled with air, it is hard to bottom.

Weaknesses:    There are barley any weaknesses. Just that the stock handlebars are pretty wide(trim them down a bit), fork doesn't have any adjustment(i wanna pike), if you are gonna do some park with this bike, i suggest you swich to two 24" wheels , it is kinda clunky in the skatepark.

Bottom Line:
AWESOME BIKE FOR ALL AROUND. This bike is a good one to get. Even if you ride a bit different than what this bike is ment for, well this bike can be changed easily for a low price. I would gice it 5 out of 5 , but there is a couple weaknesses so i have to be fair....Email for questions - mrx_160@hotmail.com

Purchased At:   Alter Ego

Similar Products Used:   Norco Bigfoot, Kona Shred, Gary Fisher Mullet.

Bike Setup:   2005 Gary Fisher Ged, all stock except 24" Mag 30 with a 2.7 kenda collasal

Submitted by Craig Akins a Weekend Warrior from St. Albert

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    It's a great bike when you make sure you use it as intended. The bike does all my everyday riding, occasional trail and -light- DH and is awesome for freeriding and DJ'ing which I really bought the bike for. Tires are good, brakes are strong, and everything works well together.

Weaknesses:    -Wide handlebars definitely cumbersome on trails. Though after a while with them I feel awkward on smaller handlebars.
-Frame does not allow for an inner bashguard, so the only remedy there is a chainguide.

Bottom Line:
Keep the bike where it belongs. If you do any more than occasional XC, look somewhere else (or at the least cut down the handlebars). If your big on DH, definitely look somewhere else. If your looking for a Jumper/Freerider that can act as a jack-of-all-trades when needed, GET THIS BIKE. There is nothing I have tried that this bike can't handle. Pushing for a 10ft drop and 35ft gap this season, will update on performance.

Best Bike I've ever owned by far, and best bike I've done any real riding on (based on riding style).

Favorite Trail:   Jensen Jumps

Purchased At:   Cranky's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Specialized P1, P2, and P3, Giant STP1 and STP2, Cannondale Chase, Norco Sasquatch

Bike Setup:   New Mavic 219 Rims and E.Thirteen SRS chainguide (front deraillure removed obviously). Otherwise stock.

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Houghton, MI

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2006

Strengths:    Strong Frame, Good Components, Grips and seat are crash proof. The tires have awesome grip in corners and handle rocky trails well.

Weaknesses:    The fork is decent but I would prefer one with more adjustability.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for trail riding and jumping. At 6'6" and over 250lbs, the frame feels really strong when jumping. Did manage to bend the front wheel when slaming head on into a tree at speed but was able to get it straight again.

If you are looking for a fun bike that can be used for almost anything except racing, the GED offers as strong bike at a great value.

Favorite Trail:   Churning Rapids