Evil Sovereign Freeride Hardtail

• BB shell: 73mm, spindle 113mm
  • Seat post: 31.6mm

Submitted by mtbfan2 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2012

Strengths:    Everything rocks.

Weaknesses:    None...unless heavy is a weakness

Bottom Line:
If you want a burly hard-tail to freeride this is the way to go.

Favorite Trail:   Duthie Hill, Bellingham, and Tiger Mountain

Purchased At:   chainreactioncycles.

Submitted by jubilee a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2010

Strengths:    Awesome fit and feel. Geometry is spot-on for the intended usees. Sliding drops are a huge bonus for that singlespeed itch and for adjusting wheelbase.

Weaknesses:    Price. It's spendy.

Bottom Line:
I am loving this frame/bike. Built it up as a burly trail and light freeride rig. The cockpit (as I have it) is a tiny bit ctramped for what I would like on super long xc rides, but I can live with that. Feels natural in the air and on the trail. Have a feeling I'll have this frame for quite some time. The guys at EVIL answered all my questions very quickly and were super friendly. If you have the extra $$$, and you're in the market for the Sovereign, TransAm, etc...go with the EVIL. You won't regret it!

Purchased At:   Big Tree Bikes, Seat

Similar Products Used:   Azonic Steelhead.

Bike Setup:   36 talas, slx granks, 1x9 gearing, sram shifters, kenda nevegals, azonic outlaw wheelset

Submitted by Cortez the Killer a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is great. Wheelies are exceptionally easy. Jumps are effortless. Evil's customer service is amazing. Some of the nicest people I've met in the bike business.

Weaknesses:    Tension screws on the dropouts lack clearance and they just seem cumbersome.

Bottom Line:
Evil is operating on the DL. But they'll be back someday soon. My Sovereign is an uniquely amazing bike that tests my skills. Like one reviewer said 'its hard to live up to its potential'. Save your dough and wait for Evil to introduce their product line.

Favorite Trail:   Urban

Purchased At:   Ended up being direc

Similar Products Used:   Mountain Cycle's Rumble S1

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi AM1, Chris King Headset, Race Face cranks, Paul single speed hubs, etc.

Submitted by ames Barnes a Weekend Warrior from Brussels, Belgium

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2008

Strengths:    strength, flexibility, comfort

Superb (SUPERB) handling

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side. Sliding dropouts are nice to have but once I dialled them in I haven't moved them
European price

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up on my previous review. Opinion remains largely unchanged, this is an outstanding heavy duty (or "hardcore" for the kewl kids) trail bike. It'll go anywhere and do anything. My only problem is living up to the potential this bike has.

I would definitely recommend a gravity dropper / maverick speedball or similar seatpost. I find I really need the seat all the way up for climbing. One oddity (call it a weakness if you will) is that the bike doesn't climb too well out of the saddle. A combination of the short top tube and possibly a bit of a slack seat angle may be the issue, I'm not too sure. With the seat up and full leg extension it's all good and you can save that final blast for the top. Drop the saddle 3" and you have SOOOO much room on top of the bike that you'll feel yourself doing things you never thought you had the balls / skill for. I find myself changing the saddle 5-10 times a ride so the gravity dropper is well worth the (stupidly high) price for the functionality

I love the pike fork, the 100-140 adjustability is perfect for this frame. I would be unhappy with the handling if I was stuck with a 140 or 150 mm fork. If I were to be forced to choose a fixed length fork I'd either go 100 or 120, 140 is too big for everyday trail use, slow speed handling is a mare. If I could have one wish about the fork it would be MUCH lighter than it is. 2.5kg is very lardy. That said I have been unable to find a similar functionality at a lighter weight so perhaps that's just what it needs.

The RF Atlas crank was sourced 2nd hand and has dropped >1/2 kg from the overall weight. The change in tyres from conti slashers -> n nics has shed some aswell. Currently running just over 30 lbs, will be safely under when I get the cash together for a new wheelset.

I can't reccommend this bike highly enough. It is not an XC whippet but it can do so many things that your XC mates will never be able to even consider. A reall grin bringer.

European price is still nuts.

Favorite Trail:   what ... ever?

Purchased At:   Cycle Solutions, Toronto Canada

Similar Products Used:   nah, nothing really. I've ridden many a hardtail but none quite like this

Bike Setup:   DH wheels, 2.25 Schwalbe nobby nics
Pike 426 coil u-turns
Gravity dropper seat post
Avid Juicy 7s
RF Atlas crank

Submitted by James Barnes from Brussels, Belgium

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2007

Strengths:    Beautiful, strong, all the benefits of steel (ride etc)
Fantastic flexible geometry, suits an adjustable travel fork; 70 deg @100mm, 68 deg @ 140mm

Weaknesses:    I haven't found one yet. Not light, but then you're not buying a steel freeride hardtail frame for lightness.

Oh, European price. Fly to the US and buy one there, you'll save enough to pay for the flight (no, really)

Bottom Line:
This bike is a singletrack bomber. With the Pikes dialed down (95mm) it turns faster than an italian who's just realised he's on the wrong side. I use this set up for trail riding or falling off at jump parks. Dial them up (140) and you can point it down a DH race track with confidence, which I did at Blue Mountain and it was superb. At 120mm, you have a well behaved bike (but who wants one of those :P )

If I had the budget, I would have set it up with Fox Talas (110-130-160) and an AM (sub 2kg) wheelset and cranks, say Easton Havocs or DT Swiss 1750s and Race Face Atlas. That would bring the build weight under 30lbs (currently about 33-34) and make a big difference for trail riding (what I do most of)while still having the strength to bomb down hill

Also worth considering is that they only do 2 sizes, long and regular. I got the regular, for fear that the long would be too, err long. Probably I should have got the long, especially as most of my riding is trails. nvm, slide the seat back on the rails a bit and it's all good.

One thing (which happened to me) the downtube is oversized and they use a shim to size it for a 31.2 seatpost. I assume they do this partly because the wall thicknesses mean they get some overweld inside the down tube, at teh junction with the toptube. In my case, this overweld has a couple of blobs that need filing off to allow the seatpost to go down fully. This should have been done at the factory, but I guess tehy missed it (no big). The shop who put it together unfortunately misinterpreted this as a tapered tube (at least that's what they told me, I'm dubious) and cut the seatpost short (really short). Now I need to get a file and a new seatpost as teh one I have is a good 2" too short to be comfortable. Meh, it's still ace

I would heartily recommend this bike to anyone who is looking for a steel hardtail flexible enough to ride anywhere, down the alps or down the shops, and is not too sensitive about weight. Believe me though, the weight is well spent and the bike as I have it set up rides considerably lighter than its 33 or so lbs

Purchased At:   Cycle Solutions, Toronto Canada

Similar Products Used:   really, I've never ridden a hardtail quite like this before.

Nearest thing was probably my old Nigel Dean Nevada (yes, I am that old :P ) for strength and twitchiness up front. This bike is a whole other proposition though, really

Bike Setup:   light(ish) DH wheels, Shim XT, RS Pike coil U-turns, Avid J7s

Submitted by Mark Horacek a Weekend Warrior from Manchester, England

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2007

Strengths:    Finish, attention to detail. Feels like your sat 'in' the bike rather than on.

Weaknesses:    UK price? Ridiculous. Customer contact with Evil/E13. Evils email address doesnt work anymore and E13 dont comeback to you via email. Maybe concentrating on servicing Distributors hey?

Bottom Line:
Off road apart from local tracks/woods I've only ridden the bike around Llandegla so far to set up properly after building up. The Z1 FRs (150) were too long in my opinion and the front washed out (fell off three times)/too steep a head angle for trails. I think a 130/140 max would suit the medium perfectly for trail centres/XC work.

Will report back when Ive ridden more..

Favorite Trail:   Holmbury Bombholes

Purchased At:   UK

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz

Bike Setup:   King h/set, king rear hub, hope front. X321 rims, Michelin AM tyres, Thomson post and stem, Hayes brakes and Pike 426 forks.

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Glasgow

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2006

Strengths:    This is a great frame with a beautiful finish...I ride this every day and only use my 6.6 for the big DH stuff at the weekends now, but I'm sure this would be capable and good fun down at Innerliethen! :-)

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
This bike excels at scary, steep, twisty, rocky, rooty technical trails and manoverures amazingly...this is a bike that wants to be ridden hard and rewards the rider with a huge smile! Buy one ...well worth the money!

Favorite Trail:   Blackwater Dam