Chumba Racing HX1 Freeride Hardtail

• Cassette: Shimano XTR 11-34
  • Handlebar: FSA Gravity Light

Submitted by jeffw-13 a Weekend Warrior from Pennsylvania

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2010

Strengths:    This review is for the frame only. The quality of this frame is top notch. Welds & overall fit & finish is excellent. Versatile - able to run geared or SS and can be built as a XC racer or a burly long travel AM bike. Eccentric bottom bracket has been trouble free. It's a burly frame and has taken everything I've thrown at it. I'm 195 lbs riding aggressive XC. Massive tire clearance. You could probably fit a small 29er tire on the back of this frame. I'm running 650b (27.5)

Weaknesses:    It's stiff. It's not a weakness to me because that's what I wanted but when I read the strengths for other frames I see terms like plush, smooth riding and compliant. I wanted a stiff, responsive, tight handling bike and I got it. It's not steel or Ti. Maybe a little heavy for an alum hardtail. My large frame was a tic under 5 lbs

The rear derailleur cable routing was a bit funky to me so I ran full length housing along the top tube & down the seatstay.

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame Nov 2009. I wanted a 26" hardtail frame that had enough tire clearance for 650b tires, eccentric bottom bracket and slack geo. The HX1 ticked all the boxes. I couldn't be any happier with this build. With the 120mm fork the head angle is just steep enough for quick, precise handling but is very comfortable going downhill as well. The bike is well balanced, flickable and fast. It really is very confidence inspiring. I can honestly say that in a year of riding this bike I have not had a single crash or gone OTB (knock wood!) and it's not because I don't ride it hard. It just doesn't get you into trouble and if it does it's easy to save. This bike likes to be ridden hard & fast & will bring you home in 1 piece. It weighs 26.5 lbs. I built it with an eye on weight but not at the expense of durability.

Great frame. I would recommend it

You can see the build at the URL below. I've made a few changes since then.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Similar Products Used:   The only other hardtail I've owned was an aluminum Gary Fisher Marlin, which was a turd. Very flexy bike. Blech

Bike Setup:   I'm running this bike with 650B wheels, 1x9, 120mm Fox Float fork

Submitted by thepotatokid a Weekend Warrior from Tasmania, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, light frame. EBB if you're into that kind of thing.

Weaknesses:    Odd geometry - quite a 'high' bike, with limited standover height and a tall head tube.
Rear cable routing is open along the rear chainstay - probably not the best cable routing.

Bottom Line:
A fun 'hardcore' hard tail, rides well on technical single track and on more open tracks too. Not too bad in the tighter stuff, it doesn't ride like a barge as you'd expect the high front end and slack(ish) head angle to ride, but it's certainly no XC rocket.

My main beef is the odd geo that it has - I've got the medium size, but the standover isn't great. It's quite a tall bike - much taller than it looks. For my height (5'9"), I would go for the smaller size next time.

Bike Setup:   Rockshox Pikes, DT Swiss wheels, 1x9 setup.

Submitted by bennyc123 a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2009

Strengths:    Geometry, Eccentric Bottom Bracket, wide bottom bracket, strength in all the right places

Weaknesses:    No anodised frames that i could see??????

Bottom Line:
I went from a dualie to a hardtail and whilst overcoming the standard withdrawl symptoms the HX1 has been tons of fun. I'm 89kilos (196 Pounds) and i like to ride hard, so finding something that gives you confidence and is tough, is difficult. This is a pretty good bike by my books.

I reckon if your keen on riding trails and tackling the tough stuff on a hardtail then this is the bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   Gap Creek