Banshee Bikes Scirocco Freeride Hardtail

Weight : 4.3 lbs MSRP : $1544.00

Although Scirocco hardtail rides as light as an X/C bike, it's still a full on freeride trail bike. The Scirocco tears up single track as easily as it rails on the shore. It has been ridden in marathon races and in World Cup 4 Cross. Its light gauge Easton tubes and our oversize; internally ribbed seat and chain stays make the Scirocco incredibly burley and our exclusive materials give it the greatest strength to weight ratio in its class. Our "morphing" geometry allows this bike to be set up with forks from 4" to 7" and with 24" or 26" wheels. Scirocco's can be built up between 25 and 35lb. 5 sizes fit riders from 4'10 to 6'10.

Submitted by kennyska a Racer from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2009

Strengths:    Super stiff hardcore all mountain hardtail. I have hit everything on this bike, from steep technical climbs to fast rocky gnarly downhills. This bike is strong enough to take anything you can throw at it and light enough to pedal around all day long. The geometry is spot on.

Bottom Line:
The perfect do everything bike! You need this in your life!

Favorite Trail:   Exit 38

Bike Setup:   Standard build with Pikes up front

Submitted by MTN MAN a Downhiller from florida/ socal

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2008

Strengths:    This thing is sick! i cant see how a bike can be any better. Its really light for this kind of a bike, and it corners, jumps, drops, and shreds like no other.

Weaknesses:    0

Bottom Line:
this bike has burly seat and chain stays and a nice big headtube. id say i could never break this thing. Its also very versatile, i could definatly take this on some epic rides. when i get some beefier wheels, bars, cranks,etc i will push it to the limit.

Favorite Trail:   anything fast

Purchased At:   only banshee dealer

Similar Products Used:   my last real bike was a 07 trek remedy 66. ive had a few bmx bikes and older hardtails.

Bike Setup:   ive got a 36 talas with maxis highrolers and some weaker bontrager parts that i will replace asap

Submitted by KWMKWM a Weekend Warrior from Nelson BC / Edmonton AB

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2008

Strengths:    I origionally bought this bike ('05 frame) to get me through the '06 season after my old VPS was stolen, with the plan of selling it at the end of the season. Since then, it's evolved into an "ain't gonna get rid of it" bike. A middle range Norco hardtail (Manik or Rampage) was used as a parts donor bike to build up the frame. So far, I've replaced every part (due to breakage, wear, or unsatisfactory performace), except the frame, fork and rear wheel. It's been a bombproof ride.
Strengths:
-versatility for most riding types
-reasonable weight for a frame of this type
-stable geometry for aggressive riding
-good cable routing (has cable clamp for rear derailler inside rear seatstay - great for Shimano style)

Weaknesses:    -'05 frame does not have ICGS mount, but the newer ones do
-Minor detail (beefy drop outs do not allow for quick realase lever to be clamped at any angle - there's about a 120 degree range)

Bottom Line:

I'm really happy with this bike. As mentioned above, it went from a temporary cruch to get me through the season, into a trusty steed to have in the stable forever.

It's ideal for someone who likes to ride well in several areas of MTB. I love how I can switch from XC to FR mode by changing the tires and pedals, and swapping to a shorter and higher stem. A fork with adjustable travel would also be ideal for this conversion. I've raced the bike in the 24 Hours of Adrenaline, ridden Mt Seven in Golden and lots of Nelson trails and it's held up really well. In each case, I was competative with other riders who had bikes more suited to the specific style of riding (either big DH machines, or light-weight XC race bikes).

If you are a light guy and want to race XC or marathon races exclusively, there are better options for you. Also, if you like to huck ridiculous stuff and case a lot, you have more appropriate options. That being said, my buddy rode it just fine on several of the big stunts on Steamboat in Radium (he's heavier than me) - proof that it is a capable hucker if you know how to land and don't case often.

Recommendations:
If you are a big guy (I'm 6'5" and 215lbs), a stiff set of cranks and durable wheels will really help the frame shine. All of your power goes straight to the ground. With a little momentum, you can hammer up steep rooty clims by just torquing your way through. Whenever I do that, the song Diesil Power by Prodigy gets stuck in my head.

If you want one bike, to do it all, this bike is for you. If you want to keep it looking new, I'd recommend using clear 3M tape (they use it on car bodies) in the high wear areas.

I love my Scirocco.
Kurt

Favorite Trail:   Paper Bag

Purchased At:   Redbike in Edmonton

Similar Products Used:   '02 Norco VPS 3
'06 Intense Uzzi

Bike Setup:   -Z1 bomber (6" travel) - have Tals 36 RC2 ready to instal
-Mavic 729 rim in the rear with Sun Singletrack up front
-Saint cranks with bash guard
-Juicy 7 brakes
-Michelin 2.2 tires for XC use
-Maxxis Minion and Tioga tires for FR

Submitted by parsifal smith a Cross Country Rider from chinle, AZ usa

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2008

Strengths:    Masters every type of terrain and ride.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
My riding style is definitely Trail with lots of small drops and lifts (1-3 ft) mostly steep and rocky usually for about 5 – 7 miles. I’m fair sized at 230 lbs and 6’4” and I ride the Large frame. The frame is flawless. It performs so much better than any other bike I’ve ridden that I feel all descriptions fall short. The ride is comfortable and you will notice immediately the way the rear triangle absorbs hits while keeping the bike effortlessly on line. And while I cannot lavish praise highly enough on the frame I must also put in a word for Jay and Keith at Banshee. These guys endured long emails and took a tremendous amount of time in getting me set up with the frame that was right for me. There is a reason this frame carries a perfect score and I can only add my own to the growing list.

Favorite Trail:   National

Purchased At:   rbikes

Similar Products Used:   Turner 5 spot Trek & Gary Fischer hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Fox 32 Talus RLC. R/F Atlas crank. Sun Ringle Single Track rims with 2.5 WTB Weirwolves. Thompson and XT.

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from The Shore, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2008

Strengths:    Let me start by saying I came from riding XC race Hardtails to this thing... and I am wondering why it took me so long to make the switch! The frame is bulletproof. Very stiff, super responsive, and so versatile. I use it on fast flowy singletrack with sharp climbs and lots of roots.

Weaknesses:    None. Seriously.

Bottom Line:
Great hardtail for anything you can dish out. I am 6' and 200 pounds and rode the Medium for about a year... love it so much i just ordered it in Large... I have been told that it fit better. I do love the Medium though. Jumps, drops, chutes, whatever bro. Go git yo'seff one o' deez. 5 flamin' turds bro. ALL DAY.

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorne Woods

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Chameleon, Rocky Mtn Vertex.

Bike Setup:   Fox 32 Vanilla RLC, Bomshell Bearclaw wheelset, X9, Sunline 65mm stem... etc.

Submitted by tOriO a Racer from Zürich, CH

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2007

Strengths:    Very light

Weaknesses:    High price

Bottom Line:
I can only confirm that this ist the best freeride hardtail. Trails, jumps, light downhill, AM, technical training for racers, it's amazing.

Purchased At:   a private person

Similar Products Used:   Norco sasquatch, similar geometry but absolutely heavier.

Bike Setup:   2005 frame M, Sun Ringle Single tracks, Marzocchi Z1 Sport RV 150mm 2007, Truvativ Hussefelt components + X.9 everything else, Azonic Saddle + Grips, Crank Bros Mallet C pedals. 14,2Kg.

Submitted by George Kranze from Bohn, Germany

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2007

Strengths:    Very stiff, light, strong, good looking easy to work on etc.

Weaknesses:    Need more fun colors.....

Bottom Line:
Strong long lasting bike with ample amount of room to alter at any time throughout its life. I have 3 forks for this bike and 2 wheelsets. #1. Fork: Lyric 2step air 135-160mm #2. Marzocchi 66SL ATA 140-180mm #3. Fox Vanilla 36RC 160mm and the wheelsets are #1. Mavic Dee Max (yellow) #2. DT Swiss 5.1 with Chris King hubs and dt swiss spokes.

Favorite Trail:   Deaths Gate

Purchased At:   Through friend

Similar Products Used:   Orange P7 (great frame too), MC Rumble (also great frame), Cove Stiffee FR, GT Rukus.

Bike Setup:   Lyric 2step air, mavic deemax wheelset, chris king headset, diabolus stem (70mm), diabolus bar, formula oro puro hidro brakes (185mm), Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 tires, stans no tube sealant, thomson seatpost, wtb pure v race saddle, sram x9/x0 drivetrain, shimano saint crankset and mallet m pedals.

Submitted by Dylan Graham a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2007

Strengths:    Everything!
Seriously, this bike felt perfect and worked perfectly since the moment I got on it for the first time.

Weaknesses:    Ha, you're having a laugh!

Bottom Line:
I ride this bike on the northshore trails almost every weekend (no shuttling for me, I pedal from door to top of mountain to door again!), no other hardtail has been cabable of taking the abuse for even a few months, but the Scirocco has taken it for a year with nothing more than a few scratches.

I also use this bike as a dirtjump bike buy adjusting the travel down on my Pikes, and yup, you guessed it! Amazing!

I have also done epic all day rides on this baby and it excels once again! Seriously... there is nothing this ike cannot do!

BUY ONE! you will be sooo happy with it!

Favorite Trail:   The North Shore

Similar Products Used:   Holeshot, P3, Le Toy, and lots more, none that even come close to this bike

Bike Setup:   buold changes quite often as parts break... erm... I have Pikes on it!

Submitted by Justin a Weekend Warrior from Traverse City, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2007

Strengths:    Super light and strong, beefy frame with a great paint job. Rides so smooth and climbs hills like a champ and bombs them even better

Weaknesses:    Not one

Bottom Line:
This bike is dank and I recommend it to everyone from all day, epic adventure riders to freeride and downhill masters.

Favorite Trail:   so far just locals

Purchased At:   Rbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   BMXs, various mtn bikes

Bike Setup:   Banshee Scirocco frame, Manitu Black Super fork, Avid Juicy hydrolic brakes, Truvativ cranks/handle bars/stem, Mavic Rims, Hutchinson Bulldog tires, Sram X7 shifters/derailers

Submitted by Carlos Mejia a Weekend Warrior from Miami, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2007

Strengths:    light weight, strong tubing, superb welds,

Weaknesses:    non yet.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the frameset itself and not a whole bike. I've tried a couple different bikes throughout my time and honestly, this frame beats the crap out of all those in the past. The super strong but superlight tubing and welds are incredible. I had forgotten how much better a hardtail was for climbing and this thing is like a goat. handling is so much smoother and quicker. I work at a bike shop and most teh others at the store are all rodies and they could not stop staring at my bike. their comments "yeah is nice.... too bad its a mountain bike"

Similar Products Used:   various bikes.

Bike Setup:   07 Banshee Scirocco frame, 07 Marz. AM3, Avid Juicy 8 in f/r, singletrack rims, truvativ crank/bb, sram chain, xtr f/r derails., plus....

Submitted by TED a Weekend Warrior from BC

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2006

Strengths:    MASSIVE HEAD TUBE,ATTENTION TO DETAIL,EASTON TUBING RULES,CANADIAN COMPANY,BOMB PROOF.

Weaknesses:    NONE!!

Bottom Line:
I USED THIS BIKE FOR FREE RIDING FOR OVER A YEAR NOW AND HAVE PUNISHED IT BEYOND WHAT I EXPECTED I WOULD'VE AND I CAN HONESTLY SAY IT'S BEEN THE MOST FUN I'VE HAD IN AWHILE.I'M ALMOST SAD MY DUALLY IS ALMOST BUILT BUT I'LL BE SURE TO TAKE IT DOWN SOME MORE.THIS BIKE HAS TAKEN EVERY THING I'VE THROWN AT IT AND THAT INCLUDES DIRT JUMPS,HUGES GAPS AND EVEN A 15 FOOT DROP.IF NOT FOR THE AWESOME FORK UP FRONT I MAY NOT HAVE HAD AS MUCH CONFIDENCE BUT EITHER WAY THIS BIKE IS FREEKIN AWESOME AND WELL WORTH THE BLING..

Favorite Trail:   PLATINUM

Purchased At:   MRC

Similar Products Used:   KONA COWAN,HOLESHOT,TORRENT

Bike Setup:   '05 SCIROCCO,'06 TRAVIS SINGLE 150,HAYES MAGS,X9 DERAILLER & SHIFTER,TRUVATIV CRANKS,E-13 SRS GUIDE ETC..

Submitted by Alexander a Cross Country Rider from sao paulo, brazil

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2006

Strengths:    geometry,strenght, custom easton tubing, gear cables and brake hoses are fixed with zip ties, ist name - scirocco, color, 10 year warranty,customer service

Weaknesses:    had minor problem with seat tube sliding down, got a new one right away from local dealer, and i bought a non-quickrelease seatpost bracket. PROBlEM SOLVED!

Bottom Line:
awesome,awesome,awesome,awesome. this IS a hardtail. forget the rest. more hard only the morphine frame! no power lost at all due to frame flex, full traction all the time. never felt better on a bike. i´ve never been a big fan of fullsuspension bikes...now i defenitely won´t have one!!!!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   all kinds of hardtail frames for xc racing, freeride and downhil like giant,cannondale,santacruz,trek, scott...etc

Bike Setup:   x9 shifter + derailleur and xgen, hope bulb hubs, dt spokes, xt 765 crank,cassete and chain, hayes el camino 203F/160R, nixon platinum 2006,IT and 20mm trhuaxle.....

Submitted by Dustin Dever from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2006

Strengths:    Everything! Light, strong, and perfect geomentry for doing everything.

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike i have ever owned, and i have had 6 bikes over the past 2 years alone. This is truely a do anything bike/frame. It is strong enough to do crazy freeride but light enough to do cross country race. Once i get a set of fox talas forks i will be doing cross country racing and downhill racing in hardtail class all on the same bike!!! Can this be??? I just have to change the tyres and wind down the suspention. It weighs in at about 13kg which is great. It isnt that expensive either. The only other frame of this caliber is the cove stiffee and it was nearly double the price. Riding is so much fun on this bike!

Purchased At:   Private