Weyless 2004 XP Pro Freeride Full Suspension

3.9/5 (29 Reviews)

The fork features the linear air spring travel adjust from 100-130mm, rebound and lock-out while the shock adjusts rear travel from 90-130mm and features the new ProPedal valving platform for decreased rider input as well as having rebound control and lock-out. Other features include the all new Avid Juicy 7 hydraulic disc brakes.

Submitted by calboyincal a Weekend Warrior from CA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap
Good components

Weaknesses:    Frame flexibility
Cracked frame near dropout
ALWAYS squeaked in the bottom bracket area

Bottom Line:
I rode this bike like it should be ridden (not abused) for almost three years without problems (other than the normal wear and tear). On my last ride I hit a rock with the pedal and it broke the freewheel. It turned out to be a lucky break, (no pun intended) as when I took it in to get fixed the frame near the replaceable dropout was cracked in three places. Told by performance bike to send it to NC to have it replaced or refunded (asked for a refund, have yet to hear back). Be careful about buying this bike used IMO. When it worked it was a great deal with high quality components and fair geometry. Always had people oggling it and complimenting how cool it looks (non MTB'ers)... Would have gotten higher reviews had the frame not cracked!!!

Favorite Trail:   Ridge

Bike Setup:   TALAS Rl Fork
Juicy 7
WTB Laser Disc Light Hubs
XT Hollowtech Cranks

Submitted by Charles Massey a Cross Country Rider from Fl.

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2007

Strengths:    3 years old and a ton of usage - No Issues

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I reviewed this bike a long time ago and now is the 3year and final review(of mine).I have 3 of these bikes. My wife and I both ride xp pro and she has 6100 miles on hers and I have 4900 miles on mine. My beater is an xp with worn out components and has 3800 miles on it. That is why I no longer care about what brand is on the down tube...period.Seriously,some components have worn out and been replaced but the bikes are solid, very rideable and alot of fun. Other reviewers have had swingarm breaks and issues but we were lucky enough to have had none! If you find one on ebay or anywhere else for that matter you should buy it then enjoy!

Favorite Trail:   Hardpack

Similar Products Used:   weyless67 - many "BRAND NAME" bikes

Bike Setup:   (2) xp pro models just the way they came and (1)xp with worn out components for fun/abusive treatment

Submitted by Chris Coleman a Cross Country Rider from Marstons Mills

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2006

Strengths:    Still Running Great.

Weaknesses:    No more SuperGo

Bottom Line:
Had this bike now for 15 months and it is still running great with just regular maintenance. Paint job is holding up great. Had some issues with the rear cassette breaking, and then customer service at SuperGo, but all was resolved in the end. This bike is still great bang for the buck. If you can get your hands on one, Just Do It!

Favorite Trail:   Trail of Tears

Purchased At:   Supergo Online

Bike Setup:   Stock with Atac pedals

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from San Jose

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2006

Strengths:    cheap, strong, beefy, light, 5th element

Weaknesses:    cheap paint

Bottom Line:
this frame is awesome. it is a great price. 1/5 the price of a heckler and it is just as good. best bike for the price on the market. it can handle jumps, drops and aggressive trail riding

Favorite Trail:   gap

Purchased At:   400

Similar Products Used:   heckler

Bike Setup:   all mountain sl, vanilla r/ manitou 3 way, xo drivetrain, 8' avid bb7's, hussfelt crank(eventually going to get a race face) single tracks

Submitted by Ed a Weekend Warrior from New England, USA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2005

Strengths:    Price can't be beat!!! Beefy, stiff. 5th Element shock feels bottomless, nice and plush. It does a good job of negating the bad effects of a single pivot design. Nice burly replacable dropout too. Geometry makes this an ideal 5" trail bike for agressive riding.

Weaknesses:    Obvious shortcomings of single-pivot design. Finish is about as durable as crayon. Water bottle mount is in the worst possible place. Lack of gussets makes me wonder how long it will hold together.

Bottom Line:
Intended to build a Heckler but couldn't resist this deal, $300 for a direct knockoff with the same geometry as the Heckler and a 5th Element shock! So far I love the frame, it is head and shoulders above my '04 S-Works Enduro in terms of stiffness and perceived durability. It is holding up well so far and appears to be very well built. The ultimate test will be when (not if) it breaks, how well Supergo will deal with the warranty. Pedals surprisingly well for a single pivot, there is noticible feedback and brake jacking but that just goes with the terrirory- worth the tradeoff for the best price/performace ratio on the market.

Purchased At:   Supergo (frame only)

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler, S-Works Enduro.

Bike Setup:   Fox Vanilla RLC, thompson post and stem, SRAM x.9 drivetrain, RaceFace DH cranks, Rhyno Lites with XT hubs, Avid mec. disc brakes.

Submitted by howard sohm a Cross Country Rider from lomgmont

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2005

Strengths:    plush ride, very smooth god what kind I say rode white ranch, busted my balls. but what fun coming down, flew by my buddy on a hardtail. much different than my hardtail Litespeed. I AM HOOKED.

Weaknesses:    Very weak paint job. (possible powder coat in off-season).
poor location for a bottle mount

Bottom Line:
Happy. first FS bike. love it. no issues here. will report later after a few rides.

Favorite Trail:   hall ranch

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   rode a buddies heckler and superlight.(very silmilar!!)

Bike Setup:   hope hubs,XT stuff and Hone cranks (friends saying stop now!!) TOL stuff.

Submitted by C-los a Weekend Warrior from Hickory N.C.

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2005

Strengths:    Price, looks sweet, org color, 5th elm air. rad tubing.

Weaknesses:    Mine came with cheap washers and nuts and bolts so nothing really

Bottom Line:
I know this is a review about the whole bike (chuck) but this is also an great frame for the $ and after 6 months I still like this bike. It handles trails well and is light (compared to my other bike, VP free). I weigh 190 lbs. and can ride rough but as long as I keep things reasonable this bike holds up fine. still a good value and more over all chilli's this time after 6 months.

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Kona king kickapu, santacruz bullit, vp free.

Bike Setup:   5th elm air, marzocchi z1, rhyno lites, north shore crank, magura hydros, lx transmission, azonic shorty stem, wide dh handelbars.

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Issaquah, WA USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2005

Strengths:    Component set is incredible for the $$. The frame is outstanding feel, geometry good for me, very tunable bike. Compares well with the more expensive similar brand name offering(Santa Cruz)

I wasn't crazy about the orange color at first but now I think it's sweet.

I got this to replace Specialized Enduro I bought as my first real ride. I would have kept it but I bought a frame too small. This Weyless is a perfect fit for me and feel it rides better than the Enduro. Couldn't be happier.

Weaknesses:    none seen yet

Bottom Line:
Best value and quality ratio out there. Too bad Supergo no longer offering - after long period of comparing and deciding I got lucky and got the last one of this size off the Seattle showroom floor. Whew, glad i did because it's a great bike. I hope for others they come out with a comparible model in the future.

Purchased At:   Supergo Seattle

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro
Santa Cruz Bullit

Bike Setup:   stock components - will have to replace the seat because i already bent the ti rails in a nice crash

Submitted by Drew a Weekend Warrior from Tucson

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2005

Strengths:    the ride! For the money, this bike is max. I just got back from Moab, and it passed with flying colors.

Weaknesses:    Riding Moab, the seat rail came loose from its posterior holder. Luckily it still held together, because I was a long way from nowhere. Supergo replaced the WTB laser with another, no hassles.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up to my 12/7/04 post, and it's been great. Little adjustments to the brakes, and a decent set of pedals are all that were needed. The climb is solid, the downhill is plush (Fox-worthy), and the looks are tight. In Moab, I got questions, comments, and stares from people riding Ellsworths and Santa Cruz'; the paint is attractive and the components are top notch. And for the money I saved, I could afford the beers after the ride!
This bike ate up most of slickrock trail. It took all the suspension for some of the compressions and drops, but the bike never faltered (more than I can say for the Giant Reign my buddy rode!).
Supergo has been excellent for customer service, too.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro

Bike Setup:   stock, plus Candy C pedals.

Submitted by Ron a Weekend Warrior from Windsor, Co, USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2005

Strengths:    great components

Weaknesses:    rear hub

Bottom Line:
Am 50 year old, 225 lb., 6'-7" ex-KTM trail/track rider. Had a bad tibia plateau fracture last year and bought the XP for rehab and motivation. I don't have a lot of MTB experience, but compared to the KTM, the suspension works as well on the modified set I had on the KTM - Fox makes great stuff. I swapped out the wheels due to the poor reviews I read about the hubs and since I am recovering from a broken leg, I didn't want another injury any time soon. The new rear wheel seemed to eliminate the flex in the rear and make gear changing smoother. So far so good, but I'm still on the cautious side and not riding it hard yet.

Similar Products Used:   GT i-drive

Bike Setup:   stock w/xt hubs, sun rims

Submitted by tina jordon a Cross Country Rider from ashville,north carolina, usa

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2005

Strengths:    talas fork is fine along with shock. juicy brakes are decent stoppers but too many problems with brakes.

Weaknesses:    frame sucks, welds came loose on head tube when i was descending a steep trail with roots and rocks called the chasm. the wheels suck big time actually they stink!!

Bottom Line:
ok for the money but many parts are just lowsy!

Favorite Trail:   the chasm

Purchased At:   franklins cycles

Similar Products Used:   gt avalanche 1.0, giant sedona,

Bike Setup:   xt grupe set.

Submitted by Michal Grau a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati, Ohio

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2005

Strengths:    Parts Spec, FOX Suspension, Avid Juicy 7 Brakes, Single Pivot frame design.

Weaknesses:    None so far!

Bottom Line:
This bike has officially been "Porc-ed" *4 Days in Moab proved a good test for this bike overall. NO ISSUES! Flawless performance. Bartletts Wash, Poison Spider Mesa, Klondike Bluffs, Slickrock, and of course: Porcupine Rim...twice. Rocks, drops, ledges, high speed descents, vertical carving, the bike handled them all with ease. What more can you ask for. VERSATILITY is the key word! If you want a do it all bike, this is the one.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim - MOAB

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Gemini, Jekyll

Bike Setup:   Stock except for wheel upgrade to Sun Singletrack/XT hubs & Bars/stem/seat. Swapped SRAM shifters for XT triggers.

Submitted by Michal Grau a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati, Ohio

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2005

Strengths:    XT Parts Spec, Frame Design, total FOX Suspension adjustability, and great AVID Disc brakes!

Weaknesses:    A little flexy in the rear end, but Im a Clydesdale!

Bottom Line:
This is a progress update to my original posting, I now have 150 miles on the bike, 90% trail, 10% Bike park. The bike is working GREAT. The FOX TALAS suspension's ability to morph this bike into anything you need with no tools is absolutely amazing. I just returned from riding it at Rays Indoor MTB park in Cleveland. This place is loaded with wooden ramps, jumps, berms, vertical, and stunts. I hit everything other than the expert elevated technical sections. No ISSUES with the bike! Im not sure what the breakages reported in others reviews are all about, land straight and be smooth. this bike accelerates very well, the AVID Juicy 7 brakes are stellar! Heading to MOAB in two weeks, I will post another report after a few miles of tough trails out there, should be a good tourture test.

Favorite Trail:   Ray's Indoor MTB park- Cleveland, OH

Purchased At:   SUPERGO- Online

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll, Gemini

Bike Setup:   Stock, upgraded wheelset to XT/Sun Singletracks, changed out stem and bars to suit my fit. Time Clipless platform pedals.

Submitted by Martin a Cross Country Rider from Oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2005

Strengths:    Dig the bright orange paint. Unbeatable component spec for the dough, but we all know that. Wails on the downhills. Once the Juicy Discs stopped squealing, they work fantastic.

Weaknesses:    Coming from a 25lb race bike, the weight bugged me at first, but I just need to ride harder. Brakes squeeked like hell at first, but quite after 4-5 rides. Yeah, the chainline sucks, can't backpedal in the large rear cog, but minor adjustments in how I ride fixed that. Not crazy about the Sram triggers, they work, but I like Shimano triggers better.

Bottom Line:
Overall, it's a really solid bike that was priced way below anything else with that component spec. if the frame snaps, I'll buy a better frame and move all the components over. It rides great and with the ProPedal, it even climbs ok. (by the way, nothing climbed better than my old FSR XC Pro...) You get what you paid for, true, but thus far I got more than I paid for, and I hope it stays that way. If you can get this bike for under $2000, and Supergo is close by, get it. Great Deal on a Good Bike.

Favorite Trail:   Cinderella