Versus Cycles Blitz Freeride Full Suspension

4.82/5 (17 Reviews)

The Blitz was designed and optimized for the freerider and extreme trail rider. With the CNC’d rocker link, 4-6 inches of plush rear wheel travel can be set with alternate mounting of the shock. The progressively ramping suspension allows it to react to small bumps while still absorbing big hit impacts. Optimized pivot points ensure efficient pedaling performance. The Blitz can be your no-frills multi-purpose extreme riding rig with plenty of adjustable rear wheel travel to satisfy your appetite for rough terrain.

Specifications:

• 4-6 inches of rear wheel travel via CNC rocker link alternate shock mounting
• Heavy Duty, Hydroformed and gusseted 7005 tubeset
• CNC’d rear suspension yokes and rocker link with sealed bearings on all pivots
• Manitou Swinger 4-way coil (included with frame) with frame or Fox DHX 5.0 (optional)
• FSA headset (included with frame)

Submitted by versusblitz03 a Racer from Parkesburg, PA

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2010

Strengths:    strong, light, very solid and very good transfer of energy when going over jumps or through them sometimes

Weaknesses:    Bulky frame but that is nothing to complain about. makes me more confident as a rider

Bottom Line:
Bike is extremely solid. ive crashed alot and not once did the frame take any damage. ridiculously solid bike. im pretty sure that ill have this bike for a very long time. i love the size of the frame. it makes me feel confident, light bike considering its size. only problem ive had is trying to pedal uphill but thats more of bad suspension setup on my part. My frame is brushed aluminum and it looks beautiful. everyone loves my bike. best investment ive made. this frame will last forever.

Favorite Trail:   Diablo

Similar Products Used:   kona stinky

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Bomber elite, shimano ls front, xt rear, fox dhs 5.0 coil, hayes discs

Submitted by mariosjsk8 a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2010

Strengths:    Seems like a tank. I wish Versus was still around as their customer service was supposed to be top notch.

Weaknesses:    Don't know yet.

Bottom Line:
I NEED TO KNOW THE REAR SHOCK SIZE SO I CAN REPLACE IT.

I really don't know much about bikes. This one was used and my buddy used to ride for Versus. He has the trigger and his lady has the Blitz II. I was poor when I bought this so 700 seemed like a good deal for a complete bike. It's maiden voyage was at Boyscout in Pacifica. My first time on a bike with this much travel and I could not believe how awesome it was. The bike felt amazing on everything.

The rear end is extremly plush, maybe broken, maybe it's how it's supposed to be...I dunno, I am getting a DHX for it soon. I got some FOX TALAS 36's last week and rode them once so far. The bike seems like a beast and like it was made to charge balls deep. I like it, it's old, it's not cracked, it's a Versus. I hope they come back or my firends wife decides to sell me hers.

All in all, my first free ride bike. It's pretty rad to ride and I couldn't be happier (well unless I get a new rear shock before

Favorite Trail:   Magic Carpet ride was awesome

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   None really. My first freeride bike

Bike Setup:   Fox 36 Talas 09', Shmimano drive train, Deetrak on the front and a Sun Ringle on the back. Some gravity bars that are awesome, Manitou Swinger rear shock (crap)

Submitted by shiftyfella a Downhiller from Whistler, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2009

Strengths:    Versatility, lateral stiffness, even when built heavy climbs very well, feels more like 7-8 inches of travel when pushing hard. It Feels very solid all round. Of course the price is hard to beat and the customer service is best in the biz.

Weaknesses:    No performance weaknesses, paint chips easy no big deal and seat post clearance for QR.

Bottom Line:
When you factor in price, durability, versatility, performance, customer service, craftsmanship and fun I don't think there are many bikes that can compete with the blitz, except maybe the blitz II. My next bike will be a Versus, can't wait for new designs!

Favorite Trail:   Entrails Squamish

Purchased At:   Versus Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Bighit, AC1, Pipeline

Bike Setup:   Small frame, Diabolus stem, azonic race bar, 180mm magura lousie fr brakes,150mm manitou flick plus 20mm, azonic outlaw wheels and hubs, axiom 3pc cromo cranks, fox dhx 5.0.

Submitted by Dallas a Weekend Warrior from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2007

Strengths:    This bike is bullet proof. I've put this bike through the harshest conditions and it has performed beyond my expectations. It pedals suprisingly well for a long travel bike.

Weaknesses:    The paint is only a cosmetic weakness. Other than that, None!

Bottom Line:
Versus is a great company with stellar customer service. Easily the best bike for the dollar spent. Sure go drop four grand on a Nomad. You will have no problem blowin past a Nomad up or down and you will still have doe in the pocket.Heck its made in the good ole' USA what more can I say!

Favorite Trail:   Section 16

Similar Products Used:   Heckler,Dakar

Bike Setup:   Fox DHX 5.0,Mavic 823,Hope hubs, BB7, Rock Shox Pike 426, Specialized Rival seat, Easton AM Vice stem, Shimano LX drivetrain, Specialized Enduro 2.4 tubless tires,

Submitted by A. J. a Weekend Warrior from Shah Alam, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2007

Strengths:    Not as heavy as you might think. Love the black paint and black stickers, made it look mean (the only thing that are not black on my bike are the XTR stuffs). Almost no suspension bob (in 4"mode)

Weaknesses:    None so far...

Bottom Line:
The best bike I've ever own FULL STOP. Almost as good as my merida hardtail on the climb up but when going down... it just Blitzes everything else. Inpires HUGE confidence and offers more performance than bikes that cost at least 2 times more. I love it... My next bike will be another versus I'll gurantee you that. (maybe the weapon X)

Favorite Trail:   Cyberjaya

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   KHS XC604,Giant Reign, Mongoose Teocali.

Bike Setup:   XTR FD & RD, XT shifters, cogs and chain, Raceface Evolve DH crank, Wellgo magnesium pedals, fizik seat, thomson elite, Marzoochi AM3 forks, Fox Float R shock, DTswiss wheelset, kenda tomac tires, shimano hydraulic brakes.

Submitted by Dan a Weekend Warrior from Livonia, MI USA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2007

Strengths:    Built like a tank, very plush, short top tube, awsome customer service, price, crash replacement warrenty.

Weaknesses:    Built like a tank (weight), if that bothers you. My frame which is a large weighs about 10.25lbs with a total build about 38.5 lbs.

Bottom Line:
best frame for the money no question. Super strong, very responsive, best customer service in the business. Look no further if you are looking for an awsome frame that wont break the bank.

Favorite Trail:   Snowshoe MTN WV

Purchased At:   www.versuscycles.com

Similar Products Used:   RM switch, RM slayer, RM pipeline, Giant AC1

Bike Setup:   Sherman Flick up front, complete sram x9, hope pro2, mavic 823, truvativ, hayes

Submitted by Mikey a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale, Ca.

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2006

Strengths:    Plush, bobless on the climbs, Customer service A+++++. PRICE(",). Herb is such a great guy.

Weaknesses:    maybe paint. if that's really a weakness. color choices. but that doesn't affect performance. really nothing.

Bottom Line:
This bike is not for the weight watchers.AM and freeride set-up and maybe downhill. Excellent product by Versus. Will recommend to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Braille, SawPit, Santa Teresa, Downieville, Kirkwood

Purchased At:   RideSFO

Similar Products Used:   coming from an entry level trailbike

Bike Setup:   AM setup...Manitou swinger coil 4way, Manitou Nixon platinum, e13 sts, Avid BB7, etc...

Submitted by Mark from Lancaster, PA USA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2006

Strengths:    Plush, Stiff, Geometry, Versus customer service is best in industry.

Weaknesses:    no major weaknesses, integrated headset limits choices.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely love this bike. I always ride it in the 6" mode.
All pivot bolts stay tight, bike feels solid. I did have an issue with a cracked pivot bolt and e-mailed Versus on a Saturday. I received a reply in a matter of hours and Herb called me on Monday and took care of the problem and also sent me a redesigned chainstay that he says is stiffer. I was happy with the old one LOL! To summarize Versus makes solid bikes and has awesome customer service. I love my Blitz and the Blitz 2 looks incredible. Only problem is I don't think I could break my Blitz so my wife won't let me get the Blitz 2!

Purchased At:   Gearhead Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Bullit, KHS fr2000

Bike Setup:   17" Swinger 4way, 170mm 66rc, triple ring with Heim3 guide and bashguard

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Conway, New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2006

Strengths:    Comfortable, fast, and nimble geometry. Not too heavy or over built. Stiff new rear end.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily. Small frames wont use a quick release seat binder becuase suspension plates hit.

Bottom Line:
Comfortable even on the first ride, Rear end is stiff and super fast running 6" front and rear with spv front and rear. Easy to whip around soaks up everything i've thrown at it so far with no problems. Only problems i had was using a quick release seat binder becuas the upper suspension plates would hit when suspension was compressed. Over all the best bike i've ridin.

Purchased At:   Adrenalinebikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Stinky

Bike Setup:   Juicy 5's w/ 7" rotors f&r, Sherman Flick plus, Saint Cranks w/ 32t ring and black MRP mimime giude, sram pg-990 cassette, sram x.7 med cage rear der. and shifter, easton carbons, and deetraks, swinger 4 way

Submitted by matt j a Downhiller from hansville wa usa

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2006

Strengths:    EVERYTHING!!!!!!! craftsmanship, design, geometry, durability, this is one hell of a frame for the money and if you happen to break it you can get another versus frame for 30% off under the lifetime crash replacement warranty that most companys don't have, the only other company i can think of that has this warranty is transition. i got the latest version of the first blitz and it has thicker chain stays that you never can find in pics on the internet so if your looking to buy the frame the chainstays will be thicker than pictured.it also climbs relativly well and is great for slopestyle

Weaknesses:    well since it is relativly cheap it's not gonna be perfect like a 2 grand frame.. but the weaknesses are just small petty little things. the frame paint chips easily, the black on black stickers are hard to see and often leave people asking what kind of frame it is, wish the headtube was a tad longer like .5" to .8"... not the best pedal effiency but a fox dhx 5.0 solves that problem.. a marzocchi roco may not be the best for this frame

Bottom Line:
i went to whistler with this frame and it handled DH like a champ.. i would case my back end on a jump everynow and then and it would save me every time i didn't even know my back end cased sometimes .. i did runs like a-line, b-line, crank it up, angry pirate, it held all there potholes with ease since it's before crankworx so all the trails are really sketchy and filled with massive amounts of random holes but this frame holds it's line and is confident in rocky situations.. the only thing is i didn't have a dh fork and boy did i pay for that... the frame works excellent for dh, freeride, allmountain but a 5" fork sucks for dh,, IT HURT LIKE HELL once a 7" fork is equipped with this bike it will bring out it's true potential, i actually expected it to suck on dh but it makes even the roughest dh feel butter smooth,, maybe not the best for racing dh but if you want a relativly light bike that can handle nearly all the roughest dh with relative ease and you also want to freeride, dirtjump, allmountain with it , this is the bike you want at a bargain price. the rear wheel also stays to the ground and i can't think of one situation where i couldn't break in time cause it was too loose and sketchy and my wheels wouldn't stick to the ground. it actually was wonderful because i could focus all my attention on the sucky front end that i had trouble with while my back end took the hits with no complaints.. also did good on the joyride double black diamond drops.. yet again my fork was the reason they were slightly painful... then i decided to do the joyride dirt jumps that are also black diamond so i did the jump way to fast and cleared the landing ramp completely flying 4-6 feet up and about 1-2 feet in front of the landing ramp and hit the flat ground so hard that i whiplashed my head into the handle bars that left a pretty mark on my full face helmet. the frame didn't complain a bit,, i did hurt my ankles alittle cause i landed funny on the pedals and i barely bottomed out the rear suspension, actually i'm not sure if i even did... well.. i love this bike.. it's been the best bike ever, you can even compare it to most 6.5, 7" travel frames... IT'S THAT GOOD!!!! like a ellsworth joker (CRAP,, SNAps to easy)(specialized trail sx and santa cruz nomad may be prettier but the MUCH cheaper blitz can handle everything those bikes can without killing your wallet to death)pretty much it's awesome if it had a sweet paint job and no idiot stickers it would be perfect but hell i don't care it's great. the travel is bottomless,, it's like the japanese people that are skinny and look like they don't eat much and then they go to bottomless mode and eat like 25 hotdogs in a row... it's like that.. well without the japs and the hotdogs.... if you have the money get the all new blitz 2 if not go with this may not be glamerous but it kicks ass.

Favorite Trail:   whistler trails

Purchased At:   downhill zone

Similar Products Used:   .... so many

Bike Setup:   basically all the compononts are one's you would find on hard core freeride bikes and dh bikes except for my fox vanilla 130 which kind of throws it's geometry a little out of wack..

Submitted by rOnn a Weekend Warrior from Oaktown USA

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2006

Strengths:    Looks, style, color, and comfort.

Bottom Line:
One beautiful bike. The Mini Cooper of bikes....(The Italian Job). Quick and nimble. Customer service at RideSFO and Versus Cycle are the best. The FXR is the Big Black American Built Muscle car of bikes...(The Fast and the Furious). Both are great, but the Blitz is the one I will be riding on the streets more. Just plain comfortable. Plush ride.

Purchased At:   RideSFO

Similar Products Used:   '06 FOES FXR

Bike Setup:   Stock with SRAM components, and Marz All mountain fork

Submitted by david from nor cal

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2005

Weaknesses:    Didnt think there was one till recived the new stiffer chainstay. Bearings have very little grease & will seize unless you remove dust seals & pack with good quality grease.

Bottom Line:
Bike really installs confidence in riding ability but throw in the new stiffer chainstay & WOW it really rails corners, smoother on gnarly decents, much smoother going down high speed fire road corners, holds a line on the off camber (no sliding down hill), accelorates off corners tighter, like a whole new bike. How many manufactures out there will send out a update to make you riding even more exciting than it already is?, only a Versus! As said from the begining the customer service is stellar, Vivian & Herb really are working hard to make Versus better each year for all of us to ENJOY!!!
Repack those bearings their isnt much grease in them & they will last longer. When disassembling pivots be very carefull of the spacers there are some small ones & when the pivot bolt comes out the little spacers run away, work in a clean oppen area so they cant run too far.

Purchased At:   Versus cycles

Bike Setup:   Manitou FireFLY 6in, Fox DHX5.0, Galfer pads & rotors, WTB

Submitted by Bryan Merchant a Downhiller from Riverside, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2005

Strengths:    Everything. I haven't found anything that this bike couldn't handle.

Weaknesses:    This bike knows no weakness.

Bottom Line:
No regrets in buying this bike. Wanted something that I could ride some nice downhill on the weekends and ride around the block to stay in shape during the week without having two bikes and this bike does both amazingly well. I spent many hours looking up different bikes but when I found this one I knew it was perfect. Plus the customer service is amasing. I have never seen the manufacturers actually cared about their customers as much as Versus does. If you are doing tons of Whistler stuff then you might want to check out the Weapon X by Versus.

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Rented DH Comp

Submitted by Kevin from Chicago

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2005

Strengths:    You get on the bike for the first time and it feels like you have ridden it for years. Super solid construction. Unbelievably stiff. Peeps at Versus are the best!

Weaknesses:    I honestly can't find one thing that I don't like on the frame.

Bottom Line:
By far the BEST frame I have ever owned! I took a trip to visit/ride with some friends in Cali and got the chance to ride one of the Versus team rider's Blitz (thanks Chris). As soon as I got on the bike it was the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. Perfect geometry. I think that is the best strength of the Blitz. I have been riding it for the past couple months and because it fits so good I have seen my riding skills improve. I feel so confident on it and try things I normally wouldn't on other frames. Another cool thing about the Blitz is you can set it up to do just about anything. Dirt jumps, trail ride, and even with 6" of travel I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a DH bike. The travel is bottomless. Along with a great frame its awesome to know you have the BEST customer service backing you too. Herb & Vivian will do anything in the world to set you up. Straight up, the nicest people! Don't hesitate to pick up a Blitz frame. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Purchased At:   Versus