Trek Scratch Air 9 Freeride Full Suspension

• Frame: Alpha Red Aluminum w/Aluminum Armor, ABP, Full Floater, alloy EVO Link, E2 tapered head tube, oversized pivot bearings, ISCG03 mounts, 142x12mm or 135x12mm rear axle adaptors, replaceable derailleur hanger, adjustable geometry, 170mm travel
  • Front Suspension: Fox 36 Talas Fit RLC w/air spring, low speed compression, lockout, rebound, alloy E2 tapered steerer, 20QR, 120-160mm travel adjust
  • Rear Suspension: Fox Float RP-23, "trail tuned" w/XV can, boost valve, ProPedal, rebound; 8.5x2.5"
  • Tires: Bontrager XR4 Expert, 26x2.35"
  • Shifters: Shimano Deore XT, 10 speed
  • Cassette: Shimano M77110 11-36, 10 speed
  • Saddle: Bontrager Evoke 4, titanium rails

Submitted by jnails a Downhiller from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight for a 6.7 inch travel bike. Climbs really well with the compression adjustment on the rear shock and fork, plus the travel reduction from 160mm to 120mm on the fork. Amazing descender - I felt like I was on a full on DH bike. The bike ate up rough terrain, jumped really well with lots of pop, and railed turns. The Joplin adjustable seatpost is a great addition - just a flick of a button and your all set whether the trail is headed up or down. Bike really liked freeride style stunts - skinnies, wallrides, and would soak up drops. Adjustable geo is a nice option

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I found was that it takes some time to get the rear shock dialed to my liking. You have to try a couple different settings and air pressures, but this is normal for freeride and DH bikes.

Bottom Line:
If you want a bike that you can ride on xc trails and get to the top to "earn" your descent then put the Scratch on your short list. Your lycra wearing buddies may beat you to the top of the hill, but they better get out of the way once you point this bike downhill. Handles the bike parks really well - loves drops thanks to the suspension and geometry and rides really well on skinnies due to the tight turning radius. Bike pedals really well - I even rode it on the road a fair bit. For a do it all bike you can't go wrong, especially if you like aggressive trail riding, bike parks, DH, and just ripping singletrack but still want to climb to the top!

Favorite Trail:   Anything at Snowshoe

Purchased At:   Trek Store of Charlo

Similar Products Used:   Intense Uzzi, Iron horse sunday, Yeti 303, Kona coiler, Demo 8, Enduro, sx trail, Gary fisher Roscoe, trek remedy, trek session

Bike Setup:   Stock set up

Submitted by Ben Lennon a Weekend Warrior from Belmont, VT

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2011

Strengths:    This Bike is amazing, climbs with the best of the cross country crowd when by all means it has no right to. The bike is stable downhill and coasts endlessly. Stable and fast on the most technical downhills. The Suspension is bottomless and clears 4-5' drops with grace. The tires are also have good grip but just not stiff enough in the corners.

Weaknesses:    The handle bars are ok I opted to swapp to a favorite. I swapped them and the stem out ASAP. Bearing in the chain tensioner are garbage too. One is already toast after 3 months.

Bottom Line:
Amazing!! For the Price I would have expected a lighter Crank, like the Race face Sixc.

Favorite Trail:   Pine Hill Park

Purchased At:   TREK

Similar Products Used:   2010 Scott Genius 20, Rocky Mountain ETSX 70,

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Thomson X4 Stem and Bar Gravity carbon DH

Submitted by DHmonkey123 a Weekend Warrior from San Anselmo, CA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2011

Strengths:    Light, fast climber, joplin is a bonus, plush smooth travel

Weaknesses:    the Dropper post failed on me at the end of the demo ride so that sucked. the grips were a bit bleh

Bottom Line:
I liked it. i rode a fairly technical trail with lots of roots. i liked the Talas for its 160/120 option. that made climbing that much easier. If you like technical trails and a bit of harsh freeride but still need to climb then this is for you. but you have to have money. 3 Flamin' Chillis because i dont know if it rides worth the money because it was a demo five for Overall because it was a great pedaling descending machine.

Favorite Trail:   Cascades, Porcupine, Goldman, Alchemist