Trek Liquid 10 Freeride Full Suspension

4.28/5 (18 Reviews)

Submitted by adam a Weekend Warrior from UK mate

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2007

Strengths:    great colour, adjustable suspension is kool, manitou blacks are very sellable, realli light wheels and general low weight mine is about 30lbs. stock saddle is comfy and stock grips are immense except they wore out quick.the mechs are fine but i upgraded coz i had some lyin about. once you get the drivechain tuned properly it runs smooth as silk and doesnt make a sound.

Weaknesses:    small dent in top tube but i think its just aesthetic its not gotten bigger or anythin. stock tyres are realli bad front tyre slipped out on a berm. my hfx 9s were crap but my friends were good, couldnt find the problem with them tho

Bottom Line:
what i like most about the bike is how versitile it is. 4 inches is good for jumpin and xc and 5 inches is better if you are lookin for a bit more comfort on a rocky trail. fab bike pick up the best bargin you will ever find on paulscycles.com.

Favorite Trail:   tress, wolftrax

Purchased At:   pauls cycles

Similar Products Used:   i've bn on a friends kona coiler and another mates big hit

Bike Setup:   raceface bars, post nd stem, e.13 bash,rockshox recons, avid juicy 7s, xt mech nd shifters, lock on grips, dmr pedals

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2007

Strengths:    Hayes HFX 9 brakes, mecks, gears, nice paint job

Weaknesses:    The frame is very very weeke !!!! (dents easily) , is shock bottoms out alot, forks are poor,

Bottom Line:
this bike is not worth the money, if our an aggresive rides do not buy this bike you with snap the frame

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Submitted by Joseph a Weekend Warrior from Miami

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2006

Strengths:    Very comfortable frame, hayes hydraulic disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    Manitou Black fork. Just generally poor performing shock. Travel adjust changes stiffness of the fork too much. Stock bontrager wheels are too weak for heavier riders (250+).

Bottom Line:
The stock setup is a good value, but not durable enough for clydes. I bent the front wheel on a 3' drop. The fork nowhere stiff enough for me from the beginning, perhaps with stiffer springs or some other help it would feel better but I just replaced it with an All Mountain SL and I have never looked back. Upgraded to hope brakes and Crossmax wheels and the bike is great. Overall I would say that this is a great value for lighter riders or riders who are gentler on their gear, I am neither.

Favorite Trail:   Bridges - Alafia Park

Purchased At:   Mack Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Specialized enduro comp.

Bike Setup:   Hope mono mini brakes, Mavic Crossmax XL wheels, Kenda nevegal wheels, Marzocchi All Mountain SL fork.

Submitted by Supercraig a Weekend Warrior from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2006

Strengths:    Adjustable travel, Fox TALAS shock, great handling

Weaknesses:    Cane Creek aHeadset, Manitou Black Comp fork,

Bottom Line:
Upgrading the fork to a 2006 Marzocchi All Mountain 2 immediately improved the performance of this bike. The adjustable travel compliments the trail systems in my area. The frame will soak up anything that my Norco Launch would. Highly recommended. The only thing keeping this from 4 flaming chilis is the poor performance of the Manitou Black fork and some the stock Bonty parts.

Favorite Trail:   SKULL TRAIL

Purchased At:   Cyclepath, Kingston, Ontario

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Norco VPS Launch,

Bike Setup:   Medium frame, 2006 Marzocchi AM2 fork (perfect match for this frame), Race Face stem, turbine cranks, Shimano 535 pedals, hayes hydros, LX drivetrain, Titec Ithys saddle, stock Bonty wheels with Tioga Blue Dragon tires.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Penn Laird, Virginia, USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2006

Strengths:    Good Frame and components. Reasonably light for a trailbike/ freeride bike.

Weaknesses:    Fork, low bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
This is a good do it all bike. I traded up from a GT I-Drive 5.0 and the difference is incredable. I like the fact that I can go on a 24 mile ride with it then turn around and huck stairs and loading docks later that night.

I was a bit concerned with the carbon fiber seat stays at first but now I don't mind them to much. i have put this bike through some pretty tough downhill runs at snowshoe and rocked some 5 foot drops to flat pavement at the college I go to and haven't had a problem.

In fact the only two problems I have are the fork and the fact that I nail my pedals and crank arms on even the smallest of rocks on the trail. The springs in the fork are too soft for bigger riders like me (6'2" 200lbs). I finally got rid of the fork when I went to Snowshoe and fell off a north shore style catwalk about 5 feet in the air. I didn't realize it till a few weeks later that I had bent the fork ever so slightly. I got a Rockshox Psylo (had one on my old GT) and love it all the more. I feel that the front and rear suspension work better together and when I crank the travel out to 5 inches all around dropping stairs is cake.

I think the large frames come with 175mm crank arms and I manage to hit everything and anything on the trail. It is annoying because sometimes I come down on a rock with a pedal perpendicular to the ground and when the suspension compresses the pedal hits the rock, effectively locks out the suspension and kills any momentum I have. I toasted my outer chain ring that way too. But its ok since I'm going to get a bashguard soon anyway.

4 flamin' chilis for value and 3 flamin' chilis overall. It would have gotten 4 flamin' chilis but the manitou black fork sucks and beating my pedals to death is never a good time.

All in all it is a good solid bike. Any rider who wants it all can have it in this package. The Fox Talas shock has their ProPedal valving and the carbon fiber seatstays do a good job of reducing bob. I've ridden freeride street, single track, fire roads, mountain cross, skate parks, downhill, and dirt jump parks with this bike with no problems at all. Enough said!

Favorite Trail:   Homestead

Purchased At:   Shenandoah Bike Company

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar XLT (friends bike)

Bike Setup:   Stock drive train with a Rockshox Psylo SL, Azonic Outlaw Wheelset, and I switch between diamond back bogfoot 3 platforms for freeriding and wellgo clipless for trail riding

Submitted by byron from miami

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2005

Strengths:    the only thing is their life time warranty on frames

Weaknesses:    treks customer service

Bottom Line:
after having two treks that broke in less then one year(liquid 10 and a bruiser 3) all i can say is save your money and look to other brands .regarding my frame they send me a 05 front triangle that looks like crap with the 04 rear triangle,wich is a diferent color, trek just does not care they just want your money.all i can do now is see what i can get for bike on e bay . good luck

Favorite Trail:   any

Submitted by byron from miami .florida

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2005

Bottom Line:
I purchase my liquid 10 on June 22 2004 and love it since day one; it is a great bike capable of handling XC stuff and small jumps 2 to 4 feet just fine. but sadly on June
1st 2005 less then a year later the main triangle broke from the weld at the rocker arm and the seat tube .I was surprise given that I am not a rough rider and the bike was not a year old, also is not my only bike so it was not out with me all the time I was riding but anyway I took it to my local trek dealer and they send it to trek for warranty.
I will post again when ever my problem is resolve .for now I guess I will just ride my Gemini.

Favorite Trail:   any

Submitted by Jan Lopuski a Cross Country Rider from Douglassville, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2005

Strengths:    Solid built bike! Great suspension, love the abilty to adjust the travel.

Weaknesses:    Frame has a mount for two bottle cages, but only one is useable. The second rak is on the bottom of the frame directly behind the front tire cathcing every piece of dirt, mud and horse crap that come off the front tire. I guess this sin't really a legitimate complaint. I worked around it by going to a Camel Back. Ok I guess if I had to say something it would be that the front fork is just a tad on the soft side.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! I stepped up from a GT Backwoods, aluminum frame MTB with NO SUSPENSION. I was looking for a Cross Country bike but came across the Liquid 10 at a shop on sale at an attractive price. I walked away from it once because I had some concerns if an All Mountain Bike was in my best interest. I looked at a Fuel 90 at another store, which was on sale for the same price as the Liquid. I wanted the disc brakes and thought what's a little extra suspension travel really going to hurt? I went back to the other shop and bought the Liquid on the premises that if I was not totally satisfied with it after riding it for a week. I could return it for full credit to another bike. I took the bike out the day I got it for a 6-mile ride. Took it out the next day for a 27-mile ride. By the end of the ride I knew this bike was perfect for me. My concern that the suspension was going to be too soft was not an issue. Setting the air pressure in the rear shock to my body weight gave me the ideal ride.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Marsh

Purchased At:   BikeSport

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Cake 3 DLX

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by crave a Weekend Warrior from Beaufort, SC

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2004

Strengths:    Very stable ride, eats up singletrack like a pregnant woman in an ice cream shop. I've been in a couple of situations where I was glad to have the extra travel and wider tires.

Weaknesses:    Front-end is mushy, I'm 185 lbs. so had to put heavy duty spring in the fork (Rock Shox Pyslo C). Also didn't come with QR seatclamp. Not the best climber, but if a good climber get yourself a hardtail. Component group is decent, but will upgrade piece by piece.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this bike is a pleasure to ride. If you are looking for a good all around trail bike this is it. It can handle just about anything from XC to freeride, and even some DH.

Favorite Trail:   E. Slick Rock, Tsali, Bent Creek

Purchased At:   Low Country Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Calio FSK, Gary Fisher Cake

Bike Setup:   Stock except for heavy duty fork spring, RaceFace Deus stem, and QR seatclamp.

Submitted by AJ a Racer from West Milford

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2004

Strengths:    In my other post.

Weaknesses:    In my other post.

Bottom Line:
This is just an update from what I wrote the first time around. I have had this bike for a little over a year now and it performs good for XC, a little bit of freeride and juss good for trails. On the weekend of October 23, 2004 I rode Diablo Freeride Park at Mountain Creek in Vernon New Jersey and there were alot of bad things that I didnt like on the bike. The rear shock is air and you should always have it filled to the max because if u dont then you will bottom it out and with all that air in the rear the shock doesnt respond to every bump and it doesnt feel soft and flowy. Really this was the only weakness. But come next riding season I'm hoping to buy a new bike hopefully the DH Comp by Giant. Bottom line AIR shocks arent good for DH or Extreme Freeride!!!! I will still rate the bike good because it has held up to my punishment from creek and riding hard round my house.

Favorite Trail:   DIABLO FREERIDE PARK

Purchased At:   Town Cycle

Similar Products Used:   In my other post.

Bike Setup:   In my other post.

Submitted by Stan Fast a Weekend Warrior from London, England

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2004

Strengths:    Tough, versatile, eats up singletrack confidence inspiring ride

Weaknesses:    Comes with weak stock bits (to be expected)

Bottom Line:
A great bike. Like many others I bought the cheapest with a view to upgrading. Stock mechanicals wore out in one year (I ride every weekend), so have upgraded them to quality bits. I paid £1280, recieving a discount for the worlds smallest scratch on the frame.

This bikes makes the singletrack a dream to ride, and has put grins on my face everytime I'm in Wales. It goes up loose climbs like the proverbial rat up a drainpipe, often leaving my mates behind on loose or technical ups. Also, is a dram on the downs, saving my ass more than once. After two years, I'm very pleased.

If you cant afford a $2500 bike - get this and upgrade slowly - I reckon I've got a lot of kit for the money.

The only problem is which bike to buy next.....

Favorite Trail:   Coedy Brenin

Purchased At:   Bike Trax

Bike Setup:   As liquid 10 with FSA Carbon Bars & Seatpost, FSA BB and Orbit Extreme Headset, XT shifters, Alpha drive cranks, and WTB Saddle

Submitted by AJ a Racer from West Milford

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2004

Strengths:    I have the silver 2003 model and its great for what i spent on it, I could ask for only minor changes that would make the bike a lil better, like the rear shock, I would upgrade to a coil or the Fox Tales RL. The forks work great and so does the rear shock. Ive been to Mountain Creek a few times and the trails i go on, the bike responded great. NO PEDAL BOB WHAT SO EVER!!!

Weaknesses:    Only a few weaknesses like the dampning system in the front forks; i dropped 6 1/2 feet missed my transition and landed too forward on the front and it shattered and the stock grips sucked and i changed the stock clipless pedals to flats (bmx pedals). There werent any real bad weaknesses

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this bike ROCKS!! Trek did a good job and coming up with and all mountain bike that feels soo good on the trails. this bike jumps and lands perfect. could not ask for more. if your looking at buying a bike for a beginner that will advance this is a great bike for that.

Ride Hard, Ride Free
Life Is Short, Ride Hard.

Favorite Trail:   Mountain Creek Diablo Free Ride Park

Purchased At:   Town Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Rode my friends bullit and loved it

Bike Setup:   Stock except MRP Bash Guard, Intense Odi Lock On Grips, and Odyessy Pedals and a new dampining system on my front fork which finally has external rebound control after i shattered the old one

Submitted by Judge a Weekend Warrior from Chilterns, UK

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2004

Strengths:    Really Tough Frame, Hayes Nine hydro disc brakes, excellent combo of adjustable Manitou Blacks and Fox Talas equals plush ride, good paint finish. No bob & excellent climber. Bontrager ACX tyres were sticky and plush.

Weaknesses:    Fox Talas R shock replaced after 3 months under warranty as the travel adjustment failed. Brake lever replaced due to paint flaking off. Crap Truvativ SL BB lasted only 7 months (>3mm of lateral play), Cane Creek aheadset lasted slightly longer - top bearing collapsed & on dismantling found several ball bearings perished/disintegrated.

Bottom Line:
The bike does what Trek designed it to do - a bit of everything (XC, singletrack, downhill) and that is exactly what I use it for - and it does it extremely well. I bought the entry level model, plannig to replace components as they wore with higher spec compos. However, I didn't expect the Fox Talas to fail after 3 months (which was quickly replaced by the shop), the BB and headset have only lasted about 7 months (approx 700 miles). Perhaps I was naive to expect the BB and headset to last at least a year. I suspect a poor PDI by the LBS was a major contributory factor certainly to the headset. Experience of poor after sales mechanical servicing means I do everything I can myself (which IS everything). Trek UK (why do they always think they are doing you a favour)require all warranted parts to be dealt thru dealers so I will pass the failed parts to my LBS to see whether a replacement is forthcoming. In the meantime, a Chris King headset will hopefully be a long term minimal maintenance investment and the FSA BB should last longer than 7 months (FSA warrants their BBs for 2 years). BTW, I have a nine year old full rigid Trek Singletrack 930 still on original Shimano components and that has seen it's share of off-road.

At the end of the day, the BIG PLUS is I've set the bike just right and I have big grins everytime I go out on it. No hesitation in recommending the bike & giving it 5 flamers for overall satisfaction.

The MINUS - was having to replace the BB & headset so early. Although it's an entry level, the components have been a disappointment. So for value, it gets a 4.

Finally, Guys & Gals, make sure everything is greased up well during the PDI and certainly for the winter season. If you ride your bike all year round, check it over often or yer gonna find your bits failing you.

Favorite Trail:   Skyline (Afan Forest )

Purchased At:   Cycleopaedia Watford

Similar Products Used:   Specialised Stumpjumper FSR, Specialised Enduro.

Bike Setup:   WTB Rocket V saddle, Shimano DX platforms, Carbon riser bar, FSA XC-140 stem, Chris King headset, FSA Platinum BB, Schwalbe Jimmy Light tyres.

Submitted by Robert a Downhiller from iceland

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2004

Strengths:    good climber , the suspension is realy good specially the fox talas rear shock i love the adjustability no pedal bob , good looking bike , just great bike

Weaknesses:    ther is a little cranky noise that i havent find out where it comes from. thats all

Bottom Line:
this bike is a good all around bike good if you are doing downhill and croos-country and just freeriding

Favorite Trail:   ulvarsfell