Trek Bruiser 3 Freeride Full Suspension

• Crankset: Bontrager Big Earl 32/22 w/alloy bash guard
  • Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio

Submitted by j a Downhiller from linkin orgeaon US

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2008

Strengths:    grips, cranks and brakes but only for the frst couple times s h i t t y ness.

Weaknesses:    lets start on the entire thing. it sucks ass. i got the bike thinkin i would be able to ride with my friend who has a session and boy was i wrong. the bike can hardly handle x factor ramps. the shock bottoms out so so easy and when you put a stronger shock on it snaps frame.

Bottom Line:
trek is an awsome company but when they designed this bike they either were drunk or accidentally hired a retard.

buy a gary fisher, tough and fly as F#$%

Favorite Trail:   k

Purchased At:   wayfare cycles

Similar Products Used:   none, the only thing i cam compare this to is a s h i t i took 2 hours ago

Bike Setup:   horrible. the way the suspension is set up sucks, when you petal standing up with force you feel a bobbing motion, it is very awakard and does not allow you to wheelie, petal hard or do anything that requires true biking.

Submitted by Pat Mitchell a Downhiller from Jamestown New York USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2007

Strengths:    fork, rims, handle bars,

Weaknesses:    rear shock, snapped the frake hitting dh trails, blew out back shock by hittting 8 foot drop

Bottom Line:
if you want a fast dh bike then get this bike, but if you plan to hit some freeridin trails dont get this bike. the frame snapped for me. The bike setup sucks but the bike has good geometry. Rear shock bottems out like nothin. Setup of bike snapes derailers very easily, snapped 4 of them. When the rear suspention compresses it pulles the crank away from the back tire.

Purchased At:   400.00

Similar Products Used:   fly dh cranks, deore front and rear derailers

Submitted by frank from madison, WI usa

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2007

Strengths:    wheels, brakes, handle bars

Weaknesses:    middle of frame, me and my bro snapped them

Bottom Line:
it snapped off a curb and then off a 4" ledge

Submitted by byron a Weekend Warrior from miami fl

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Strengths:    people dont be stupid dont buy trek .

Weaknesses:    all

Bottom Line:
trek is all hipe and talk no action save your money get your self a real bike get cannondale usa made 100%

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   trash

Bike Setup:   crap

Submitted by Josh Nash a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2006

Bottom Line:
Can anyone respond and give me a website or some info on where to buy a 1500lb spring? no one sells them and im bottoming out a lot

Submitted by Brock Waldo a Downhiller from Kellogg

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2006

Strengths:    Good suspinstion

Weaknesses:    looks retarded

Bottom Line:
need to make look better

Favorite Trail:   Silver mountain

Purchased At:   Exelcer Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Have a gary fisher ope

Submitted by Josh Le Boutillier a Weekend Warrior from Jersey

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2006

Strengths:    Super Strong frame, not too heavy compared to my mates hardtail

Weaknesses:    i can't think of any at the moment.

Bottom Line:
frame snaps, then ill be really annoyed, need to get a hardtail and then get arthititus from all the bumping around

Purchased At:   Cycle Centre Jersey

Bike Setup:   i use to have a scott comp racing and i snapped the frame on that so then i managed to get a bruiser frame and i have judy sl front forks, fox back shok, jons ac tyres, x lite assasain handlebars, dmr v8's, raceface crank and xt setup, bout to get a new stem

Submitted by Derik a Downhiller from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2005

Strengths:    Frame, crank, saddle, tires front shock,shifters handle well, handlebars are really nice, and it makes you feel like your on a stong bike and not a flimsy one.

Weaknesses:    Chain, cassette, rear shock bottoms out for me so swtich to something else (don't bother with adding a heavier spring), for the brakes...please switch to something like avid juicy 5/7!!

Bottom Line:
Nice, stong, cool looking bike. Fun to ride and stong. Glad I got it. Change the tubes/tires though. Ive heard that the Earls pinch flat a lot. I however got 3. Very good buy!

Similar Products Used:   none lol

Bike Setup:   Now switched to an XT rear derail-LX front, maxxis hansventure tire, and an 850 cassette. Earls mostly everything else.

Submitted by Mitch Gainford a Weekend Warrior from Brockville

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2005

Strengths:    150 mm front fork , cranks ,pedals , the brakes are fine not the greatest but they work well. rims dont bend easy.

Weaknesses:    rst rear suspension is horrible? tred on the tires wear really fast , the gears

Bottom Line:
if u like to freeride , i wouldnt buy this bike the back suspension is realy poor , if u try to do a cat walk it feels like the bike is going to bend in half. the front suspension is nice. overall i wouldnt never buy a trek again

Favorite Trail:   Tremblant

Purchased At:   cranks bicycle shoppe

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by matt scott a Weekend Warrior from Holliston, Ma, US

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2005

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    Frame (mainly below pivot point), Stock Shock bolts snapped the first day I had the bike, stock fork springs, rear shock is soft even on a 1500lb spring, and the swing arm has too much leverage, and I also figured out that when the swingarm goes up, it pulls the frame upwards, which is why I think It broke.

Bottom Line:
I had the bike for 1 month and snapped the frame on a small drop, and because of the warentee, I got another one and broke that in a month on a trail where I wasn't even hard on it, and decided just to get a new bike, (gary fisher GED. The bottom line is not to get this bike if you like free riding and like to do jumps and drops, your better off getting a hard tail at the same price, of spend more on a different full suspention bike.

Purchased At:   bike barn

Similar Products Used:   walmart bikes

Bike Setup:   manitou stance flow, Bontrager big earl crank, and the rest was mostly bontrager earl

Submitted by ben a Weekend Warrior from savannah, GA, us

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Strengths:    front fork is ok, cranks are good, wheels and tires are awesome, hayes disks are nice

Weaknesses:    everything else, especially the frame and rear shock

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike for six months and have already broken two frames. If you are seriosly looking for a good bike for freeriding don't buy this bike. It looks like a tank but it is certainly not built like one.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   bicycle link

Similar Products Used:   big hit comp

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Bonestrong a Racer from Texas

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2005

Strengths:    I really like rear shock set-up, although I plan to swap it for a 20,000lb spring.

Weaknesses:    Usually what bugs me is that when I race with Lance he beats me up at the end of the ride. Yelling "hey you guy, pick up the pace a bit" While he wraps livestrong bracelets around my neck.

Bottom Line:
Since I started this review my buddy Lance came by, he wants to type so here he is.
Hello everyone in the world, you might have heard my name before. I would like to thank god and George Bush Jr. for me being the best. Also I just took a ride on a Bruiser and it rules, its a Trek after all. Since I ride for Trek everything is awesome. Screw retiring, this is the bike I'm going to be racing DH with next year, with of course a GravityDropper seatpost. Enough about me, wait no, me and my wife are gonna do the nasty on a pile of Bruisers one night. Yah, I'm gonna go smoke a dooby with my buddy now.

Peace out,
Lance Himself

Purchased At:   Lance gave it to me

Similar Products Used:   Sportek

Bike Setup:   I reversed the fork and stem, it just seems to handle better.

Submitted by Carl from Las Vegas

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2005

Strengths:    The Frames looks cool. Its really sturdy. Works great for mountain and urban areas. I was riding it in a half pipe, and dropping loading docks. This is the kind of bike to buy if you go to the mountain but live in a city. So you can ride anywhere. And the people up above rode the bike when it had the 650lb spring(and that rode like crap while i had it) but just wait till you get the 1500lb spring

Weaknesses:    Weight, Rear Shock(This is before you get the 1500lb spring, and I got mine a week after I purchased the bike.) after i got the spring the bike worked perfect

Bottom Line:
This bike is good for a person that rides everywhere (urban and mountain). I would have sex with this bike if I could. But when you buy this make sure you buy a lizard skin and put it on the rear were the chain clanks against the frame. It makes the noise when bombing it down stairs go down a lot. Those are like 12$

Purchased At:   Pedal Power

Similar Products Used:   This is my first Mountain Bike I used.

Bike Setup:   Everything is Stock

Submitted by Erik from Dallas, Texas

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2005

Strengths:    Suspension, super sturdy frame

Weaknesses:    Doesn't seem like the tires have much traction on dirt. Better get a big earl!

Bottom Line:
First of all it's a great price for what it is. Second the suspension is excellent! Front is amazing, and the REAR is EXCELLENT, not bad;). Mine is pefect and it taked bumps amazingly. It also depends on how the buidler builds it at the store you bought it from. One problem though; when ever I go about 20+mph theres this ringing somewhere near the font wheel base. And if I make a slight turn it gets really bad! It could be something with the disk braked(which work great) , but I don't know. lol and I get alot of stares at it when i'm out...great showoff bike lol

Bike Setup:   Stock-Might change the crank because the 3rd gear part is used as a nice bash-guard, so it taked up alot of speed!

Submitted by byron from miami .florida

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2005

Strengths:    follow up review

Weaknesses:    rear shock

Bottom Line:
It has been two months since I bought the bruiser 3 and after a few emails and phone calls trek has not solve the rear shock problem, the bike is completely useless the way is set up with the RST rear shock and a 650 lbs rate spring they claim it needs a 1500 lbs spring but my trek dealer has not receive it yet. No other rear shock fits or works on this frame because of the high leverage set up, I spend $300.00 trying to solve the problem on my own but nothing works and no one sells a 1500lbs spring. Please test ride the bike before you buy it don’t make the same mistake I did. I order the bike from a local dealer and now two months later I am stock with it. And as far as trek I will never buy one of their products again their customer service just plain sucks

trek bruiser 3 questions?

well heres the story, i can obtain a 2005 trek bruiser 3 for relatively cheap but i dont know much about it, other than most of the reviews here say the frame fails and cracks/snaps apart? im just looking to get into dh, i took a trip out west this summer on my xc bike and im hooked but im wondering ... Read More »

Anyone ridden a trek bruiser 3??

I was thinking of picking up a frame for cheap. Anyone have any expirence with the bike? Thoughts opinions?Read More »

dubya tee eff? Bruiser 3 =downgraded diesel?

see for yourself: [img]http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bikes/2003/mountain/medium/dieselfreeride.jpg[/img] vs [img]http://www2.trekbikes.com/Assets/Bikes/Mountain/Bruiser/Bruiser_3/asset_upload_file92_2706.jpg[/img] are they blood related?Read More »

Trek Bruiser 3

Hi I think I am one of the only people who have bought this bike, so I hope someone can help me. I want to replace the rear shock from the RST 22A that came stock. I would really appreciate some suggestions. I weigh about 170 lbs. Thanks in advanceRead More »