Transition Bikes DirtBag Freeride Full Suspension

4.98/5 (43 Reviews)
Weight : 10.00 MSRP : $849.00

The DirtBag stays true to its freeride roots by being extremely responsive on tight trails, able to climb up hills like a goat and overbuilt to handle the new evolution of freeride stunts and drops. As the progression of freeriding continues to get crazier, the DirtBag is engineered to meet those demands without sacrificing the bikes agility and ability to pedal to the trail heads.

Submitted by Petti the Yeti

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2014

Strengths:    Burly frame, Very bomb-proof, surprisingly plush suspension for 6.75 inches of travel

Weaknesses:    Strange seatpost size (30.0mm) makes finding dropper posts impossible without shimming a 27.2/27.8 post, Rear brake bounces like crazy when locking the tire up on grippier surfaces (especially pavement), very heavy when built up.

Bottom Line:
Using this mostly as an urban freeride bike, and it feels great when bombing down stairs and loading dock ledges. Geometry is very versatile; Climbs alright for a heavy bike, turns quick enough, but is still stable at speed, and feels good in the air. Very similar riding style to my old Banshee Chaparral, but able to take a hell of a lot more of a beating.

Submitted by Slowilly a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix,AZ

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2010

Strengths:    Balance is sweet. Begs to go faster. Launches with ease. Feels comfortable in the air. You can manhandle it down the gnarliest gnar and hit the jumps with confidence.

Weaknesses:    Heavy...but hey it is supposed to be. No other wekness found.

Bottom Line:
Like riding a hot marshmellow down a hot chocolatey graham cracker crust and it makes you want to go back up for s'more.

Favorite Trail:   NRA, National, Sunrise

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   F-117 Stealth Fighter, Jeep Rubicon, Simmons BeautyRest

Bike Setup:   TBC Rims, Saddle, & Pedals, Maxxis Advance, Avid Juicy CR, Rockshox Totem, Fox DHX 5.0 Coil, Howitzer BB, Cane Creek Headset, X9 shifters/derailleurs, Howzfeller Arms, Funn Fatboy Bars, Troy Lee Grips, Truvativ Stem & Post.

Submitted by parkerbike a Downhiller from san luis

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2010

Strengths:    comfortable in the air, corners well

Weaknesses:    none so far.

Bottom Line:
this bike feels strong, it jumps well takes drops like a champ, and sticks to the ground while cornering. if your thinking about getting a sick freeride bike dont hesitate on this bike.

Favorite Trail:   shooters, "egypt"

Price Paid:    $1950.00

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz bullit, giant reign

Bike Setup:   08 dirtbag: 09 fox float 36 rc2, dhx 5.0, juicy 7,revolution wheels, stepdown blue pedals

Submitted by Crashmaster58 a Downhiller from San Jose California

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2009

Strengths:    insanely strong, all of the pivot points have cartridge bearings. 10mm rear through axle.

Weaknesses:    The stock Hayes 9's that came with the bike are junk, probably the only thing i will replace.

Bottom Line:
If you want a bike that climbs well and descends like a beast go for this. It climbs better than my bullit ever did even though it weight about 8 lbs more. Speaking of the weight, in stock form the way i have it right now its sitting at about 43 lbs. But im sure with some different tires rims and fork you could easily cut down on that.

Im really looking forward to taking it to Northstar once spring roles around.

Favorite Trail:   Demo Forest

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz bullit

Bike Setup:   66 rc2x, Swinger 4 way coil, sram x-7, transition revolution 36 hole rims, maxxis Minion 2.5 DH, Blackspire Dewlie chain guide, FSA gravity cranks.

Submitted by hotrodmarlin a Weekend Warrior from winston salem, nc

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2009

Strengths:    bombproof

Weaknesses:    paint colors: black, brown and alum? come on guys- give us some more choices...

Bottom Line:
Love it. The bike gives me confidence. Feels solid and stable on the ground or in the air. I'm not a real hardcore rider but I'm not afraid of an 8' drop either and this bike will take everything I can throw at it. NC mountains can be pretty knarly and rocky so single pivot isn't the best but so far I haven't ridden anything I would want to trade it for. I'm a big Transition fan after owning this bike.

Favorite Trail:   top secret

Purchased At:   Recycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona coil-air deluxe, Santa cruz Heckler

Bike Setup:   Rock shox Totem coil fork, Fox 5.0 coil, I-9 enduros, hope tech v2 brakes, deity dirty 30 bars, transition stem, race face cranks, xtr shifters...

Submitted by Brian_Pal a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2008

Strengths:    This bike is a great all around rig, it climbs amazingly well for being a bike with 7 inches of suspension. Very burly frame, confidence inspiring.

Weaknesses:    The only thing is that it does suffer from a bit of brake jack, but i don't find this to be a huge deal, just have to brake at the right times.

Bottom Line:
This bike is not what i would call an 'all mountain' bike, but that said, i rode up 2,000 vertical feet yesterday, and 1800 the day before that. It was harder than the same climb on a cross country bike, but wasn't too bad at all. The key to this uncanny climbing ability is my bikes lightweight build (36.3 lbs). I had an 06 dirtbag with a swinger 4 way rear shock that weighed more like 45 lbs, and it was much more of a pig uphill.

Downhill, this bike screams. The Totem fork is amazingly plush.

Overall, a very solid bike from a solid company that is reasonably priced. Buy this bike if you want a solid freeride/downhill bike that can still be pedaled. If you are looking for an all around long travel trail bike this will work, but something like an intense 6.6 would be a better option.

Favorite Trail:   Enchanted Forest

Purchased At:   Green Mountain Sport

Bike Setup:   Totem solo air, juicy 7 brakes, easton havoc wheels, sram x.9 shifters, x.0 rear der, xt front der, DHX 5.0 Air rear shock.

Submitted by Justin a Downhiller from California

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2008

Strengths:    THIS IS A FOLLOW UP REVIEW ON MY DIRTBAG. it's still as great as the first day i bought it. It turns well, and is very good at soaking up all the bumps. I went to a bike park, Northstar, last weekend and it worked great. Instead of riding over rocks like I did last year on a rental bike, this year i was bunny hopping over them! when you get this bike set up, it works great. It will save you!

Weaknesses:    The totem seals suck! i blew them at northstar and i am replacing them with better ones. The paint is still very bad, but whatever. "battle scars" right?

Bottom Line:
Great bike, i reccomend it to anyone. It may not be the best of the bikes (sunday world cup, v10, m6) but it will get the job done. Just because it only has 6.7in of rear travel does not mean it's not enough. You don't need anymore, and as soon as you have this bike dialed in, it's the greatest investment you'll ever make. Always make sure everything is running good, and your performance will improve so greatly. Even though my setup is around 42 pounds, it picks up off the ground so easily. i love this bike, and if you can't win a race on it, it's not the bike's fault.

Favorite Trail:   Whistler Downhill

Purchased At:   Black Rock Bicyles

Similar Products Used:   used to ride a Iron Horse 7 point 3

Bike Setup:   08 Frame with 07 paint job, 08 components. titanium spring, next year i plan on upgrading to the avid elixir

Submitted by Scott Buckheit a Weekend Warrior from Belcamp, MD USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2008

Strengths:    Super Stout, Great Handling, and Clean Lines. What else can I say "the best bike I have ever ridden".

Weaknesses:    None. I have never had issues with the paint, yes it will scratch if you bounce it of a few rocks but what doesn't?

Bottom Line:
This bike will help you take your skills to the next level. If you can't jump, drop, or traverse technical terrain on this bike it is not the bike, it is the rider. It will never fail you and will save you when you screw up. I ride at Diablo and Snowshoe often with this setup as well as our local place in Frederick. It can take the abuse, I am 5'10 and 205 with a medium bike and it never blinks an eye. Plus the guys at Transition will never let you down, when you call or email them you are talking to an owner that can ride better then you, these guys know what works and the Dirtbag is it.

Favorite Trail:   The Shed.

Purchased At:   Cactus Bikes in Apr. 07

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky, Kona Coiler

Bike Setup:   07 White Dirtbag-Medium,66 rc2x, Juicy 7s, Raceface Evolve DH crank w/E13 guide, Azonic Outlaws, 2.5DH Nevgals, and other goodies. I think my build is around 42lbs.

Submitted by dominic a Downhiller from Los Alamos, New Mexico, USA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2008

Strengths:    I have the 06 model of this frame and i LOVE IT. This bike is very strong sturdy and can handle what i have been throwing at it.

Weaknesses:    nothing well maybe the paint but that doesn't matter

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is it's a AWESOME bike and everyone should ride it for freeride and some downhill but mostly freeride

Favorite Trail:   Santa Fe WELL

Purchased At:   Transitionbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Ironhorse Yakuza Aniki, Specialized Big Hit, Santa cruz bullet

Bike Setup:   I have an 06 frame with an 05 marzocchi 66rc, manitou x4, juicy 5's, race face cranks stem and bars,thompson seatpost, 50/50 pedals, THE seat,WTB rims, and everything else shimano

Submitted by Justin a Downhiller from Bay Area

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2007

Strengths:    Pretty much the greatest thing i have ever riden. It makes me go twice as fast and it goes uphill like a cloud. I got a 2008 set up with 2008 components and so far it looks so great. Great frame that can take anything. Once you get your suspension dialed in - this bike just begs to be ridden.

Weaknesses:    PAINT! the paint will chip from even the brake cables rubbing against it. But who cares about the paint, right?

Bottom Line:
Get it. Transition is the best bike company ive ever seen; the owners talk to you, the bikes are great, you get better. Get it, just get it. If you find yourself doing bad or you can't do something; it's not the bike's fault. GET IT! I wish i could put 1000000 chilis.

Favorite Trail:   whistler DH

Purchased At:   Black Rock Bikes

Similar Products Used:   2006 Iron Horse 7 point 3

Bike Setup:   08 Dirtbag, 08 Components, Dual Ring, Heim Chain Guide, custom extra long handle bars (extended 2 inches total).

Submitted by BT a Weekend Warrior from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2007

Strengths:    This is an awesome do all bike! Great for the long epic rides in the back country as well as the rides at the park. Great on drops, jumps, trails or whatever. Geometry is perfect.

Weaknesses:    Cable routing for running an 8" rotor....the brake line pinches if you use the lower cable guide. Just leave it in the top one and you'll be fine.

Bottom Line:
this bike rips. Oh I'm talking about an 06 model frame.....getting ready to get an 07 probably. This bike is solid. Get one and you wont be dissapointed.

See a full in-depth review here:

Similar Products Used:   kona stinky

Bike Setup:   marzocchi 66, hayes mags, saint cranks, sram drivetrain, blah blah.

Submitted by Trace a Weekend Warrior from Shoreline

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2007

Strengths:    Burly, outstanding customer service, commonly available derailleur hanger (the Kona "H" hanger fits the Dirtbag and is readily available where there are no Transition dealers), clean and simple look, made for business not decorating a living room.

Weaknesses:    It ain't a lightweight, but for this kind of riding I don't want that. For me not a weakness, for others, maybe. As for the paint...it's a freeride bike, if you are using it for what it was made for it's going to get scratched no matter what you paint it with.

Bottom Line:
Simply put, this bike is built for trouble and looks the part. With a basic flat paint job and a proven no-nonsense suspension design, it isn't going to look good on your wall, it looks good covered in mud and dust and sweat after a hard rip down your favorite hill. I'm 230#, 6' 2" and the large fits me like a glove, with a perfect cockpit setup. I've had this frame since January, and all of my riding partners have commented on how much my riding has improved over when I was on my last Iron Horse. This isn't a function of the bike making me a better rider, but of showing how limiting the design of the Yakuza was (for the kind of riding I like to do) and of how confidence inspiring the Dirtbag is. A tight wheelbase makes for nimble handling in all conditions and very confident high speed cornering, and the Manitou Swinger 4-way helps make this bike easily capable of a medium grade fire road climb. It's tough to say what this rig shines on, because for Freeride it has done it all for me and kept aking for more: Vancouver's North Shore mountains, Oregon's Black Rock area, Whistler and any number of local secret freeride and downhill trails have passed beneath my wheels and the Dirtbag just works on everything. Plenty of maneuverability on skinnies, excellent stability in the air on drops and smooth handling on steep rock rolls.
Bottom line is, if you want a strong, no-nonsense freeride bike that doesn't break the bank but you can trust your life to, get it.

Purchased At:   Direct from Tansition

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse SGS and Yakuza Kumicho.

Bike Setup:   Green '06 Dirtbag frame with '07 Manitou Swinger 4-way shock, 888RC2X, Race Face Diabolus stem, bars and post, Saint cranks running single 38t E13 Guidring and SRS chainguide, SRAM X7 drivetrain (8-speed), Avid Juicy 5s, Azonic Wheels (soon to be upgraded to Transition Revolution 36), Kenda Nevegal Tomac Stick E DH casing 2.5 tires, WTB Speed V saddle, Wellgo B-67 pedals

Submitted by erik h a Downhiller from slc ut

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2007

Strengths:    just the right amount of travel for the big stuff
Looks good (baby blue 06)

Weaknesses:    none, not as heavy as everyone says
i don't think 8 pounds for a 7 inch travel bike is unreasonable

Bottom Line:
This bike has been alot of fun. it pedals pretty good but mine was on the light side. (37 pounds)
I don't know if i would put it in the one bike does all category but maybe you are more of a man than me.

I am sadly selling it to get a bottlerocket but i wanted to give it a good review before i shipped it out

if you are looking for a freeride bike then this is it

Favorite Trail:   bobsled

Similar Products Used:   elsworth joker, santacruz bullit and heckler.
all my brothers bikes

Bike Setup:   06 med dirtbag, fox van 36juicy 7's, azonic outlaws and A frames, chris king headset, thompson seatpost, etc

Submitted by Christian a Weekend Warrior from Graz, Austria

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2007

Strengths:    Good geometry for climbing and descending. Good look - I like the glossy paint! 1.5 Headtube.

Weaknesses:    Easily chipping paint. Bottombracket and Headtube are not reamed. Frame is heavier than some others in its klass. (The Fox DHX should be lighter than the Roco too - just for info to you weight weenies!)

Bottom Line:
I was on my 3rd ride today on my new Dirtbag and thought I give you my first impressions about it. I’m 6’2“ / 200 lbs and rode a medium sized Yeti AS-X before. The idea of exchanging my frame came in to my mind because I allways felt that the Yeti is too short for me.

Climbing
The Dirtbag is a way better climber than the AS-X. I see the main reason for that behaviour in the steeper seatangle. The compared to the 5th Element better damper and the lower pivot point. They do their best to help on the climbs. On the Roco you can dial in the compression with the 5 TST settings and the rebound. While not offering as many tuning capabilities as a Fox DHX-5 I feel that I have not perfected my setting on the Roco yet. TST is set at 1 and the Air in the bottom out is at about 160 psi and the rebound a bit on the slow side. I think I will go to TST-2 and lesser rebound tomorrow. Today I climbed a really steep road that I never made with the Yeti so I’m really happy in that department!

Downhill
I have no real downhilltime on the bike because of the snow in the higher regions of our surrounding hills here, but I have some first impressions: In the first place I feel that it was the right decisson to go to a frame with a longer top tube and a shorter stem combinded with a longer and higher bar. All that little things let me feel now more secure when the going gets steep. The downside of the now longer (28“) bar ist that it sometimes gets very narrow between the trees. (I hit one today.)
I rode a few short singletracks and some fast logging roads by now. There where not that many obvious differences between the AS-X and the Dirtbag other than the now better fitting framesize. I see a bigger difference in the future on the rougher routes due to the Roco and its superior damping charakteristics. The bike feels glued to the ground with it like a full blown downhiller. (Ok, the Sherman is the weak part then.)
The longer wheelbase compared to the Yeti was not feelable for me even in the curviest parts of my home singletrack. At least not in a bad way.

Conclusion
The only two downsides I can think of with this frame are the easily chipping paint and the heavier weight compared to the AS-X. All in all the Dirtbag is a very good looking, well executed frame. While not offering the newest overhyped linkage design nor the most twisted hydroform tubes it is simply a tough bike with a spot on geometry.

Before buying I thougth about a lighter bike like a Nomad, 6point or something like that. I need a bike that climbs, but I need a bike that holds up to around ten to twenty bikepark adventures a year without falling apart too. The new 6-inchers may be good, but I don’t think they are strong enough for me. The Dirtbag is on the burly side of the „one bike“ kategory but I think it will work for me just fine and it will work for you too, serious legpower preconditioned.