Titus Super-Moto Freeride Full Suspension

The Super-Moto Downhill has a new little brother, and this one has more than a few new tricks up its sleeve. The new Super-Moto has more options and features than any bike that has ever come before it.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Reno, NV, USA

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff. Slack Geometry. Climbs great. Strong. Durable. Horst Link Dropout - Sooo good.

Weaknesses:    Interrupted Seat Tube

Bottom Line:
This is a followup to my previous post, which I feel I owe to the guys at Titus for being so supportive, understanding, and patient with me on the phone. This frame is a piece of work. In the first month of riding, I cartwheeled the bike down a nasty section of Porcupine Rim, spraining my ankle, and denting the brake-side chainstay. After one day off, my bike and I both finished out a stellar week of riding. What's a couple extra weeks of recovery compared to a week in Moab? Anyway, suffice it to say, after countless bottom-out drops, in-your-face short double landings, and what must be a thousand miles of high-speed boulder sections littered with baby-heads and ogre-heads, this frame keeps on.

I will be replacing the bearings and bushings soon, but the ones I'm running are the originals. They are still pretty smooth. I will be replacing the Swinger 4-way with a Cane Creek Double-Barrell soon, but this isn't a shock review. I just bought a set of Fox 40's that will soon be adorning the front of my trusty Supermoto. In fact, checking my post below, it would seem that the only thing NOT changed about my bike in the past 3 years is the King, Thomson, and the Frame.

I have never regretted going too fast or too far... yet.

This thing wheelies easy!

I have taken this bike on 45 mile rides with over 8000 vertical up and down. Just this week, I accidentally climbed a 2000 foot ascent that was like a non-stop step-up party, only to (happily) discover that I had gone the wrong way. Oh well, time to go back :-)

My rear triangle is tweaked, but not enough to worry about. Probably from that original crash.

Long and short is, I thought about getting a new frame, but the more I thought about it, I was just sorely disappointed with the shock. I kept looking for a bike that was as capable a climber and descender, and found none. Yeah, those new Uzzis and Glorys sure feel supple, but have you tried to pedal one? No, I decided to go with what I know, and replace the shock with what is likely the best darn shock on the planet right now, the Ohlins (Cane Creek) Double-Barrell, and be done with it.

For what it's worth, I'll try to follow-up in another couple of years.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Tahoe

Similar Products Used:   Switchblade

Bike Setup:   05 7" frame with Swinger 4-way coil. King Hubs on Mavic 823, Atlas Cranks, El Camino 8" brakes, Thomson&Thomson, King HS, Maxxis Minion 2.5 DH tires, XO triggers, X9 Rear, XTR Front, Monkeylite DH bar, oh, and Fox 36 Vanilla forks.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from albuquerque, NM USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2006

Strengths:    Has no lateral flex that I can find. Horst link, made like a light weight tank. This bike has great angles.

Weaknesses:    Lack of Color options, A polished frame would be stellar.
Major changes made for 2006.Not that the 2006 bike is bad, just different, perhaps a little more blackdiamand/DH focused.The 2005 came with cheese ball black and silver stickers... the original B/W were cool. and I'm really stretching to find something to winge about.

Bottom Line:
Everything every one has said so far is pretty spot on, This thing is awesome in the twisties, the technical, and is certainly more capable than my feeble skills will ever know.

My last bike was a Blur and this bike corners better, especially for riders who utilize a rearward bias. It feels more planted in the corners, smoother on climbs and is a lot more capable on the down hills. This is a do anything frame. set it up for how you want to ride. Not XC race but everything from there to DH lite.

Taking this bike to the chairlift was a blast as it just wizzed through technical sections with relaxed confidence. It made me realize I will need a bigger playground as I (hopefully) become more skilled.

For all mountain riding I would definatly recomend the lighter swing arm. I ordered the 5"-5.8" rocker link. I might have been happier with the 6"-7" rocker link.

Don't ride this bike unless you are thinking about getting a new bike because this thing will ruin you untill you get one.

Favorite Trail:   Otero Canyon, Prime cut/Joes

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur, Specialized Big Hit, Cove Stiffee, Klein,

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi AM3, Swinger 4way, old XTR and XT, Hayes Mag brakes, breaking Easton ec70 bars easton post, currently WTB tires(?), formerly Blue groove2.5s, Geax sedonas 2.25. thomson stem, specialized grips(crap). about 31 and a half pounds

Submitted by Johan Beumer a Cross Country Rider from Wetumpka, Alabama

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2006

Strengths:    Very stiff frame. Reasonably priced for a nicely built 7" travel bike. Titus blue is sure pretty. Climbs surprisingly well, especially out of the saddle

Weaknesses:    You gotta keep rolling. If you roll too slow or climb too slow you will bounce backward. Maybe I'm out of shape. I would the bike to weigh less. Of course, the bike would like me to weigh less.

Bottom Line:
Im a big rider, 6'2, 250#, I spent a lot of time finding the right bike for me. The Supermoto was the only frame that met all the items on my checklist (top tube length, bb clearance, travel etc). The people at Titus were very helpfull by email and on the phone. They steered me into the right shock and travel combo.
This bike rocks, the first time I rode it made me want to go faster and faster just to see what it could do. I've been riding this bike hard for three months now and I gain more confidence each time I ride. Unbelieveable how this suspension hooks up on any terrain. I'm bombing down hills and passing people I could never keep up with. They still pass me on the climbs through no fault of the bike.
Some of my fellow riders tried to talk me out of getting the bike saying that I dont need that much travel or it will be too heavy. The swinger shock is so good you can't tell that the travel is that big. The whole bike weighs 32lbs 2oz. This is very close to the weight of my broken 4" travel bike.
Who should buy this bike? Only people who bike where the laws of gravity are in effect. If you mountainbike on perfectly flat terrain, say a runway or the like, you don't need this bike.

Favorite Trail:   nearest trail right now

Purchased At:   speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   GT LTS, Blur, ID, Liquid

Bike Setup:   Manitou 4 way swinger 7" travel, Fox 36 RC2 (150mm travel)fork, Full XTR, Hadley Hubs, carbon post and bar

Submitted by mountainrider a Weekend Warrior from Ouray

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2005

Strengths:    FSR suspension technology. Adjustability, tougher and stronger then Mr.Incredible. Geometry is SPOT-ON

Weaknesses:    Slight weight penalty, but really, for all this.

Bottom Line:
I battled over bike frames, Owned every other style of rear, and this is the one. It so right on for climbing with the Marz All-1, and descending its more in control and balanced not too mention faster then my Downhill race equppied Bullit. I pondered over Rear shock and coil over and 6 or 7" on the travel, but I got out of downhillin-sort-of, and moving on Super-D. Plus this is an Epic beast. I Actually think I LOve IT... Plus the Mothers Beautiful and hardly anyone else has one!

Favorite Trail:   portland

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Blur, Heckler Bullit, Intense 5.5, Kona Stink Primo, Bear, Trek Liquid, Spec. Epic

Bike Setup:   7.875 DHX AIR, Marz All-Mountain 1-150mm, Sram X0shif/der, Crossmax xl, Avid Juicy, Xt Cranks, 6 and 6 at 31.25 lbs. Blue Frame Special Black ALL-1, you know the rest.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Reno, NV USA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2005

Strengths:    Real Strong, Real Stiff, Adjustability, Configurability, 7" of Travel, Stable Platform with the right shock. Light for what it is. Great tire clearance. A real confidence booster.

Weaknesses:    Interrupted seat tube. Spendy like all Titus bikes. More confidence can get you hurt.

Bottom Line:
With SPV on the front and rear, this bike pedals and feels as light, if not lighter than my old Switchblade / TALAS setup which was at least 6 lbs lighter. Also, this bike gives you the feeling that you can do almost anything. Don't kid yourself. Big hucks don't come overnight. If you're looking for a bike that has all the pros and none of the cons, get this bike. I'm seriously considering showing up at some of the local races on this bike. As far as I can see, it has the technical climbing ability of a billy goat. I manual up 2 foot step-ups with the greatest of ease. I manual off 5 footers to flat with even greater ease. There is a great sense of stability when plowing through big loose rocky sections that turn 22 lb noodle bikes into scrap. The only problem I can forsee is that I keep wanting to go bigger. I love this bike.

Favorite Trail:   GoldBar to Portal in Moab

Purchased At:   123Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Titus Switchblade.

Bike Setup:   7" travel with the Manitou 4-way Air. King wheels with 823's. XTR, Thomson, Nixon Platinum with IT adjust. All the sweet stuff.

Submitted by demo_slug a Weekend Warrior from san jose

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2005

Strengths:    low leverage ratio (2.75 stroke / 7 inch travel). great ride. titus coolness. fits big big tires.

Weaknesses:    it would be the perfect bike frame period, if it wasn't 10 pounds. at 10 pounds its the perfect freeride or clydesdale frame.

Bottom Line:
the bottom line.... this frame hucks. I can see nothing wrong with it. it rides just like a bike. I never feel like I'm riding a big travel huck bike until the trail get nasty.

I still can't see any other bike I would buy.

also, I'm so happy I got the 7 inch coffin link. I almost went for the all mountian linkage, I'm glad I didn't. I don't see the point.

added note for the big guys. I'm 250 pounds. a 500 pound spring is perfect. I get 30% sag with zero preload. titus=low leverage ratio (2.75 stroke / 7 inch travel). in contrast, I get about 40% sag out of a yeti ASX with a 600 pound spring. yeti=high leverage ratio (2.25 stroke / 7 inch travel)

Favorite Trail:   demo forest

Purchased At:   OTE cycles

Similar Products Used:   yeti ASX, marin rock springs, proflex 856.

I run it with the 7 inch linkage and swinger 4 way coil shock. the frame weighs 10 pounds with the shock. the shock weights 2.5 pounds of that.

and a teloscopic seat post is a must.

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Sachse

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2004

Strengths:    The frame was built very well meaning high quality welds. Frame is very stiff and I am very pleased so far on the way it handles. Very please with Titus the way they answered all my questions.

Weaknesses:    None so far just would like a anodized paint but not a weekness.

Bottom Line:
So far very pleased with the way the bike feels. I was looking for a big hit bike that does not weigh a ton. One that really could do it all and it's main use is all mountain. I think I may have found it.

Favorite Trail:   Any thats dry

Purchased At:   cycle paths

Bike Setup:   Fox Talas up front with Answer 4-way air in back. King hubs with Mavic Rims and so on.

Submitted by Chris C. a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, Utah

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2004

Strengths:    Very stiff, rigid frame. Superlative Titus build quality. Great looks. Tight-handling, stable ride. Good climber for weight. Outstanding 4-bar rear suspension design, with many shock and travel options available.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy for extended climbs.

Bottom Line:
As a heavy-duty trailbike/light freerider, the Supermoto excels. I had a chance to demo one last spring down on Moab's Amasa Back Trail. What a perfect bike for that ride! It handled the initial ~1000 vertical foot climb much better than I expected for an ~30lb. bike, and climbed very much like my Switchblade (28lbs.). This bike was OUTSTANDING on the downhill though. The stiff, tight frame gave the bike a very stable, yet quick-handling ride quality that was perfect for this trail. The additional diagonal frame tube on the Supermoto really stiffens up the front end of this bike compared to my Switchblade. This bike is definitely capable of handling much rougher terrain than Amasa Back, and for aggressive trail riding on rocky, technical trails with lots of drops, it's a great ride.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   Demo from Titus

Similar Products Used:   Titus Switchblade, Titus Racer-X, Ellsworth ID, Trek Liquid 55, etc.

Bike Setup:   Trailbike mode w/Fox TALAS shock (3.75-5.6" adjustable travel), Manitou Minute 2 fork. Magura Louise disc brakes. Shimano/SRAM drivetrain.

Submitted by TrailDude a Weekend Warrior from Front Range Colorado

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Strengths:    Stiff & burly

Weaknesses:    Heavy

Bottom Line:
I am a Clydesdale at 6'3" & 220 lbs.. My XL frame is built out at around 30 lbs. and is configured for a plush all-day trail bike or light duty freeride bike. It is set up with 7 inches in the rear and 6 inches in the front. It clinbs well & decends great.

Purchased At:   Hammerhead Biles

Similar Products Used:   Titus Quazi-Moto

Bike Setup:   Manitou Coil SPV 4-way, Maverick DUC32 fork, Chris King headset & rear hub, Raceface X-Gen Deux cranckset, SRAM XO shifters & derailleur, Avid Ultimate levers & mech discs.

Submitted by Vic Branson a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2004

Strengths:    Frame stiffness, technical prowess, build quality (second to none), adjustability (mine is configured with Fox TALAS suspension front and Back).

Weaknesses:    If the product is not in stock, you will have to wait a long time after ordering before your frame arrives at your LBS. It addition, since some of the processes occur outside of the Titus Plant (i.e. Heat Treating), they are unable to provide reliable delivery date estimates (but in all fairness from what I understand you will have this same issue with Santa Cruz, Turner, Intense and all the other highend boutique manufacturers). It took 12 weeks to get my frame after placing a large deposit.

My only other complaint is the paint quality. After two rides, the paint was gone on the frame where the front brake cable rubbed. My frame is powder coat, which is supposed to be the same paint type as on my other Titus bike (1999 MotoLite), but the paint is holding up much better on my older frame relative to my new bike. Paint is not a huge issue for me, since I ride technical rocky trails (scrapes and scratches come with the territory), but something for folks to consider.

Bottom Line:
Aside from my two complaints mentioned above (which are really minor in the scheme of things), I couldn't be happier with this Bike. It climbs like a cat, descends like a 45 lb. rig, cuts corners like a knife, jumps like a kangaroo and is actually faster than I thought it would be on the flatter cross country type trails.

When I first considered buying the SuperMoto, my intent was to use this as my technical trail rig and use my MotoLight as my general trail bike, but since the SuperMoto excels so well in all areas, I ride it exclusively (my wife is now the proud / default owner of the MotoLight).

I wasn’t even in the Market for a new bike when I demo’ed the SuperMoto because my other Titus is still in great shape. My thought was this better be one hell of a ride because I don’t really need it, plus who needs the hassle of trying to justify the purchase price to my wife. I rode it, and as they say, the rest is history. So my warning is, don’t demo one unless: 1) you need a new bike 2) want to ride it, then curse your old bike until you do buy one.

I guess the fact that this bike won Editor’s Choice for “All Mountain” class by “Bicycling” Magazine (June 2004 Issue) says it all.

Two final comments:

Titus is a top rate company. They know their stuff and won’t let anything leave their plant that isn’t 100% perfect. Because of my delays, they upgraded a few things that I won’t mention, but suffice to say, they delivery on customer service.

SMC (South Mountain Cycle): In Phoenix is also a top rate shop. The shop is managed by bikers for bikers. In a era of Big Box stores, it’s nice to know there are a few places one can still go and get professional, knowledgeable, fast service. Their prices aren’t much higher than the bigger stores (i.e. Supergo down the street) and the fantastic service more than makes up for it.

If this sounds like a commercial for Titus and SMC, then so be it. I’ve done enough business with them to know.

Favorite Trail:   National Trail @ South Mtn.

Purchased At:   SMC - South Mtn Cycle