Sette Relic Freeride Full Suspension

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)

The Sette Relic FR Frame w/ Manitou Swinger Coil Shock is designed to be a go anywhere do anything frame, unlike the cumbersome and sluggish downhill rides of the past. If you are seeking an agile freeride frame with 6" of travel at a reasonable weight and price, you'll be surprised by what the Sette Relic FR Frame has to offer.

Sette has minimized weight while keeping the frame strong by using heavily butted 7005 series aluminum tubing, a reinforced head tube and seat tower. The Relic also has fully sealed cartridge bearing pivots, precision CNC machined dropouts and details as well as a replaceable derailleur hanger. The frame also comes complete with with 51mm international standard disc brake mounts and full hose guides throughout the frame.

Submitted by jason from milwaukee

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2007

Strengths:    black! 6" of travel and under 10lbs

Weaknesses:    rear v-brake mounts? paint just about washes off. cables run on top of top tube. just nitpicky stuff i guess.

Bottom Line:
for the price it cant be beat. the paint does chip like crazy but im not picky about my paint job. you could probably touch it u with a sharpie if you wanted. i drilled the cable guides out to allow for one peice cable housing throughout. the suspension seems overly complicated when the bike is just sitting there but when its ridden and all the suspension is moving it looks amazing. if your on a lower budget and want a sick looking frame buy it.

Similar Products Used:   haro x, treks, azonics, the bighit

Bike Setup:   sherman slider, sun single tracks, saint cranks, full xtr.

Submitted by Matt from Philadelphia

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2007

Strengths:    nice welds, sick price, very smooth and plush

Weaknesses:    blew out the bushings for the swingarm half a dozen times. I blew a brand new set in one day at Diablo Freeride park. Pricepoint sent me new ones from of charge every time but i'm sick of all the trouble that causes. also, paint chips very easily. i'm returning it

Bottom Line:
great price, but you get what you pay for. i'm going to save up for a santa cruz bullit

Similar Products Used:   cannondale jekyll

Bike Setup:   manitou nixon, hayes hfx 0, truvative hussefelt, e-13 guide, maxxis mobster 2.7, mavic 325 disc

Submitted by james aclao a Weekend Warrior from ozone park, new york, usa

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2007

Strengths:    solid frame, swinger 4-way (spv amazingly handles bobbing), buttery smooth shock, nice solid welds... and of cours... PRICE!

Weaknesses:    paint chips easily, shock is mounted too close to the bottom of the seatpost (seatpost will hit one of the pivot links if slammed to low). but performance wise.. none at all.

Bottom Line:
im very happy with it. though im not 100% finnished with my build, so far even with low end components slapped on, its great bike. the shock with the spv feature gives a great platform. bobbing is eliminated, big time. the shock is very plush and with lots of adjustability options, which means you can adjust it to your specific riding style. i will post another review after i go for a 50ft drop so i can tell everyone how i died!

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   an old barracuda xfx

Bike Setup:   7 relic, marzo junior t, mavic wheels, truvativ dh ss crank, fsa dh bb. some other components i borrowed from my other bike just to get it running.

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Charlotte, NC USA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Strengths:    Price, product support, Manitou 4-way

Weaknesses:    Poor assembly quality, & rear link bushings, Head angle a little slack for me (see bottom line)

Bottom Line:
All in all, I'm happy w/ it but there are some shortcomings.

1st is the assembly quality. The build quality is great, clean welds, nice machine work ect.
Mine tried to come apart on me after less than 50 miles. Not a huge issue unless you're on vacation 1k miles frome home. Cost nothing but time to fix, just stripped it down, cleaned everything up & reassembled it w/ a little locktite blue and it's been fine since. Take that step b4 you build it up & you should be fine.

Next is the link between the shock & the rear subframe. It's 20m wide with teflon coated steel bushings riding on aluminum pivot pins. The TEFLON disintegrated after 20 miles, & the steel bushings scored the pins. To pricepoints credit they sent me a new one, no questions, which promptly did the same thing.

Problem is the bushings, they are only 3mm wide, & can't support the loads. I did a google search & found the same bushings, only 9mm wide, for $20.00. Problem seems to be solved.

Would I do it again? Jury is still out on that one, I can't get the rear dialed like I want it, too much sag, & that slackens the head angle more than I like. The fact that I'm 6'0 230# & using a 160mm front fork, probably has more to do with that than the design of the bike. I have the shock @ 300psig.

I'm going to order heavier spring for the 4way & see if that will fix the problem.

As I stated, I'm a large dude, & I've ridden the hell out of this thing for about 300 miles in the last few months, & once the kinks were worked out it's held up fine.

For $459.00 to my door, even with the new busings & a few hours of my labor, still seems like a bargan.

Similar Products Used:   GT STS Carbon

Bike Setup:   FOX Float 36 RC2 on the front/ DHX air 5.0 on the rear.

Mavic Crossmax XL's with Specalized 2.0 tires

XT Drivetrain (Hollowtech II)

XT M755 Brakes 203 fr/rr

Easton Monkey lite carbon 31.6 mid rise bar w/ODI ruffian grips

Maverick Spedball post

Shimano PD-M647 DX pedals

Tipped the scales @ 31.8 lbs

Submitted by Nate Lulek a Weekend Warrior from North Clarendon, VT, USA

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2007

Strengths:    The frame and the shock... Incredible!!!

Weaknesses:    The frame limits the compatibility with most front derailleurs. Other than that none so far.

Bottom Line:
I am sold, Sette has solid products. I will continue to buy from them. My bike was shipped to me via UPS. Upon delivery I found the headset and rear derailleur hanger damaged. I contacted them and they sent me replacements without any questions. Good customer service and prompt delivery. I will continue to be a loyal consumer.

Favorite Trail:   Knotch Rd. Fire trails

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Black Diamond Single

Bike Setup:   Relic Frame, Sette grips, bars, headlock, and seat clamp. Manitou Nixon Super Plus SPEvolve 145mm fork, Truvativ Hussefelt stem, 1.1 crankset, bash guard, Howitzer Team BB, Sun DitchWitch rims w/ Shimano M475 hubs, Alivio rear derailleur, Tioga Factory DH tires, and Bontrager Seat w/ post 31.4mm.

Submitted by Nate Lulek a Weekend Warrior from N. Clarendon, VT

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2007

Strengths:    The frame and the rear shock. The shock alone costs around $400-$450! SICK!!!

Weaknesses:    None yet!

Bottom Line:
Can't beat the price and their other parts I've ran on previous bikes hold up to incredible abuse. I figured what the hell I'll try their frame and see what happens!

Favorite Trail:   Knotch Rd. Fire trails

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Black Diamond Single

Bike Setup:   Relic frame, Sette bars, grips, and headlock; Hussefelt stem, Bontrager Big Earl cranks, ISIS BB, seat clamp, seat post, and seat; Tioga Factory DH tires; Hayes MX2 brakes 8"front, 6"rear; Shimano Alivio drivetrain; Shimano M475 hubs w/ Sun DitchWitch rims.

Submitted by a.l. a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2007

Strengths:    Plush feel with the swinger 4-way. Clean cable routing. Beefy welds and overall a very strongly built frame.

Weaknesses:    Some sloppy finish work on the welds, one bushing needed some work.

Bottom Line:
I bought this as a frame last year when I needed a quick, cheap replacement after breaking my 6.6. It actually turns out to be a nice ride for a catalogue frame-good enough that I decided to keep it, threw some parts on and turned it into my A.M. bike. There is some sloppy finish work on mine, but nothing structural. For the price it's a tough, plush little frame that pedals o.k. and descends well too.

Similar Products Used:   Intense 6.6

Bike Setup:   Manitou Black Elite, Swinger 4-way, Outlaws, XT/LX mix and match, SIC stem.

Submitted by Cactus a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs,CO

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2007

Strengths:    The frame is very plush for the price and the angles are great for technical riding. The shock is amazing considering the price of the frame.

Weaknesses:    The spring that came on the shock is very light. Headset that came with bike was crap. I had to replace with a cane creek.

Bottom Line:
I broke my old frame in half on at Palmer Park in Colorado Springs. If you have all the other components and need a new frame quickly this is a great frame to get. It has its quirks but you can't beat it for the price.

Favorite Trail:   Palmer Park, Templeton Gap