Scott Voltage FR 30 Freeride Full Suspension

• 16.60 kg / 36.56 lbs

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by bobinitacnh

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2013

Strengths:    Price, Easy to switch travel from 150 to 170, easily maneuverable

Weaknesses:    Suspension isn't the most plush, feels stiff sometimes but I really can't complain to much as it still absorbs all the bumps and jumps.

Bottom Line:
    Bought a 2011 model used and couldn't be any happier with my purchase. The bike is so easy to ride and pushes you to ride faster while still inspiring confidence. The short size is perfect for popping off lips and railing around turns. This bike is perfect for beginners just starting DH and makes the learning curve a lot easier.

Submitted by kenn72 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2012

Strengths:    Great bike for the $. Strong, moderate weight, easily switchable from 150 - 170/180, good components for the $, no-name products ~ not here. Love that it is 8 speed. GREAT tires!

Weaknesses:    Shock quality (but for the price, spot on).

Bottom Line:
    I bought two of these for my lady and I as our first gravity specific bikes. We both love them. We read other reviews on this bike, and after riding the FR30 for two seasons, I have not been let down yet. Yeah, it doesn't have a lot of glitzy parts, but the ones on it are solid. I thought I would upgrade the parts as I blasted through them. The only thing I have had to replace (other than a few tubes) has been a brake lever after she tomahawked it down a trail.

The suspension isn't the most plush, But, Hey! Did you see the price?!?!?!?! I am in the process of upgrading to Totem and Vivid R2C, which should solve that problem.

All in all, the bike is a great value if you are getting into gravity riding and can't drop $5k. It handles big drops (6' +), long airs (20' +), and it recovers well. It is a "hang on" ride, and I usually have one run a day at the slopes where I get off the bike and think, "there is no way I should have made that".

My gal and I both recommend this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Mountain Creek (formerly Diablo), and Launch Bike Park

Duration Product Used:   2 seasons

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by konarider234 a Downhiller from Vermont

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2011

Strengths:    super easy to switch between 170 and 150mm.
    really light. stock it's 36 LBS.
    extremely good components for what you would expect based on the low price.
    jumps awsome! in 5 inch mode it really jumps like a slopestyle bike.
    really pops off the lips of jumps.
    great in every way.
    low standover
    the Short size is really nice and short so it's great for jumps.

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
    this thing is the best out there anywhere near the price. i could spend 2500 on anything and it wouldn't even come close.
    and i only paid 1650, got it brand new. 2011.

Favorite Trail:   Higland, Killington

Purchased At:   Outspokin' bike and

Similar Products Used:   nothing compares, I've owned a Stinky Six and this is wayy better!

Bike Setup:   Scott Voltage FR 30 completely stock.

Santa Cruz VP FREE or Scott Voltage FR 30

So i've been wanting to get into downhill/fr for quite some time now, and i finally have enough money (~$1000, i know its not much) saved up for an entry level rig. I've been planning on getting an FR 30 (i work for a scott dealer and get a fairly good deal) but yesterday while perusing craigslist I ... Read More »

Mongoose pinn'r vs Scott voltage fr 30

Looking for new freeride bike around $2000 range. Looking for something that pedals, and jumps for around town. What bike would be better out of the pinnR or voltage fr?Read More »

Norco Manik or Scott Voltage FR 30

Hi, I want to get a freeride/shore/park bike bike and I have narrowed my choices down to these two bikes; one full suspension and one hardtail Hardtail: Norco Manik $1700 -Marzocchi 55RV -Sram X7 -Avid Elixir 5's -nice build overall and I have ridden this bike on freeride and shore trails, fe ... Read More »