Scott Nitrous SL 22 Freeride Full Suspension

• Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore
  • Shifters: Shimano Deore / RF-fire SL
  • Brake Levers:Shimano M 525 Disc
  • Brakes: Shimano M 525 Disc / 203 mm rotor F and / 160 mm rotor R

Submitted by greg sjothun a Downhiller from portland, oregon, usa

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2010

Strengths:    its a climber thats for sure it has very low pedal bob for a 6" travel bike

Weaknesses:    skinny ass rims to weak for my 250 # body and the seat what a rock hard p o c

Bottom Line:
owned for 3 years now what a great bike it can do anything you throw at it and then begs for more.

Favorite Trail:   larch mountain loop

Purchased At:   river city cycles

Similar Products Used:   Turner/Specialized/rocky mountain

Bike Setup:   Kenda nevgal tires, urban camo sherman slider double crown fork 7" in the front, mavic wide rims laced to xt hubs, carbon fdiber bar ends, 6" rotors front and back, bmx seat haro, the rest stock

Submitted by Scott Merrill a Downhiller from Salida, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2007

Strengths:    The frame looks like a beast, but I am 6'4 and got an appropriately sized bike so it is a beast, but the frame is suprising light and gives me no problem riding it uphill, or throwing it over my shoulders when things get too steep.

Weaknesses:    Definitely the seat!!! Horribly uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
This bike is built for whatever you can stand, you can see it when you look at it and feel it when you ride. Very comfortable for cross country jaunts, and when its downhill time, bomb it!!! You'll be fine. I ahve had some minor drive train malfunctions be I should proboly clean all that more than I do.
The suspension is great, front and back. The All-Mountain 3 can take a beating and so can the DP20 Disc Rims, and the Swinger three-way absorbs a lot of the bob. Definitely worth whatever you pay for it!!!

Favorite Trail:   "Uncle Nasty"

Purchased At:   Absolute Bikes, Salida CO

Similar Products Used:   None, this one is in a class of it's own.

Bike Setup:   All stock...But plan on slowly upgrading..

Submitted by tom everill a Downhiller from england

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2006

Strengths:    everything!!!...exvept saddle

Weaknesses:    saddle...very very unconfortable

Bottom Line:
this is an update on my last review and this time i know the bike better. I had a problem with the manitou 3 way loosing air so got it sent off, got a brand new 06 one as mine was knackered :) I love this bike!!! slowly upgrading it to be slightly more downhill, but it will do anything you can find and more!

Favorite Trail:   aston hill dh3

Purchased At:   evans cycles

Similar Products Used:   bullit, vp free

Bike Setup:   stock except, sun mtx rimes and easton monkeylite dh, vice stem.

Submitted by Mark Wingate from South Korea

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2006

Strengths:    Looks Cool

Weaknesses:    Might get stolen

Bottom Line:
Why was this model discontinued?

Purchased At:   Sierra

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2006

Strengths:    This is a fairly light bike for the travel it has. The rear shock is really adjustable and not too difficult to set up. The frame seems to be stiff enough for my riding style and could do some real big drops if you are into that. I have changed out some of the components for higher end so I can't comment on the brakes, levers, shifters, tires, saddle, stem and bars. Man thats a lot of upgrades, I had them on another bike. This bike handles very quick because of the head angle and that is a plus for me cause I like aggressive single track and technical downhill stuff. 1.5" headset availability.

Weaknesses:    Seat cannot go all the way down or the post will rip up the shock. Marzocchi All Mountain 3's are not very adjustable so you are stuck with whatever compression settings are built ito the fork (I emailed Marzocchi and found out that this fork cannot be upgraded).

Bottom Line:
This is a treat to ride on a rocky downhill and can still be able to ride back to the top and do it again. I like the single pivot design because I think it has less flex than my Jamis does. So far so good, I'll update in a few months.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Teresa

Purchased At:   Traded for my Piranha

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar Expert, Dirt works Piranha, Speciaized Hardrock, Raleigh m7000 and a Pro Flex Beast.

Bike Setup:   Stock LX wheelset and crankset. Xt everything else. Maxxis Minion DH super tacky 2.35" rear and Tioga Yellow Kirin 2.3" in front. Marzocchi fork and Manitou Swinger 3 way shock in rear(both stock). Easton Monkey Light DH carbon bars and stem. WTB V saddle.

Submitted by tom everill from england

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2006

Strengths:    amazingly light, strong, a proper do it all bike

Weaknesses:    hard saddle, soooooo uncomfortable

Bottom Line:
this bike is amazing, my friends have all gott light xc bikes and i have no problem keeping up with them...even though they are much fitter, then it gets to a downhill section and they cant touch me.
The rear end is solid and smooth with hardly any pedal bob, fork is amazing nothing i have ridden compares to the smoothness, but am lookin to upgrade to manitou dorados for downhilling. If you want a bike you can jump on and do anything and keep up with people on a specific bikes, you should stop reading this review and buy one

Favorite Trail:   aston hill dh3

Purchased At:   evans cycles

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz bullit, vp free, specialized enduro

Bike Setup:   standard, mavic rims 203mm hayes rotors front and back

Submitted by Mark Greenwood a Cross Country Rider from Steamboat Springs,CO,USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2005

Strengths:    Yeoww! I feel like I'm breaking the Law. It's light, everything works right on. Oversized stem and bar. no bobbing.

Weaknesses:    Would have liked a little more steerer tube for my height. (Shipped precut), (I'm 6'3")Will upgrade to triple clamp fork in the way future.

Bottom Line:
Again I say YEOHWWWW. I've been getting out of the house for a ride after ride. Up the mountain and down the mountain. Setting up the 3 way rear is interesting and fun. Disk brakes are unbelievable! Changing dirt composition has no effect on braking vrs. the delay experienced with rim stop brakes. Oh yeah, did I already say it is light? It is.
The rebound adjustment is easy to get to and very important as I have been pogoed up without enough of it.
Would like to install fenders to protect the hydroformed Aluminum frame. (Suggest Telescopic seat post as well)
Peace.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Marsh Lake,PA

Purchased At:   Ski and Bike Kare,SteamboatS

Similar Products Used:   demoed a few full suspension bikes, Been shopping for 10+ years.

Bike Setup:   Shorter stem, 180 mm XT cranks(with bottom bracket).Higher rise handle bars,

Submitted by Shahar Waserman a Weekend Warrior from ISRAEL

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2005

Strengths:    Front Fork: MARZOCCHI MARZOCCHI MARZOCCHI - should i say more !!??

Rear: The manitou swinger SPV is a known success, Altough the frame is a single pivot system the Swinger kills the BOB !!

FRAME: The sticker says Super Light - The sticker is Correct - Trust the sticker !!!

RIMS + WHEELS: The wheels are 2.35 from scott and the rims are ALEX DP20, I'm not a veteran FR but the tires stick to the ground in turns like a baby sticks to his mother's....

Weaknesses:    Seat: This is Scott's progressive seat and i do reccomend you make a progress and change to something a bit more comfortable (WTB or bontrager)

HUBS: I don't know why i put this under weaknesses but 2 of my friends warned me the LX hubs won't last very long - We shall see !

Bottom Line:
This is my first FR bike so comparison is a bit hard, but still...
I Wanted a bike that would enable me to FR and yet still be suitable for XC every once in a while --> The SL 22 is a perfect match !!
I'm doing drops I didn't even beleive i could do with such an ease, The MARZOCCHI and M_SWINGER together with the NITROUS SL frame is a winning combo.
Oh, I almost Forgot the Bikes has a massive Sex Appeal !! - this is one good looking piece of cycles. go and get them.

Favorite Trail:   Very Very Very far from where you live !

Purchased At:   local dealer