Scott Gambler FR 20 Freeride Full Suspension

Weight : 43.17 lbs

• Fork: Marzocchi 66 RCV 180mm travel Coil oil, Reb/Comp adj, air preload 20mm thru axle
  • Shifters: SRAM X5 Trigger Shifter
  • Brake Levers: Avid Juicy Disc
  • Brakes: Avid Juicy Disc 3.5 203mm F + R rotor
  • Crankset: Truvative Ruktion BG 1.0 34T chainring Truvative bashguard
  • Chain: SRAM PC-951

Submitted by Jan Meyer a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up on the previous review. I have changed suspension to 9.5 inch setting from 7.2 setting to test that out a bit and wow!

I was blown away by how well it flattened out rough bits and still was able to pedal just as good as with the 7.2 setting. I was expecting sloppy pedal and lots of sag into the kickers, but none of that. It felt brilliant!

Probably means I will not even try the 8 inch setting and just stick to 9.5 for now and play around with the head angle a bit to see how that differs.

I just love the fact that I can custom setup my bike suspension, angles and length like this to find my sweet spot :)

Favorite Trail:   Oxford Falls

Submitted by Jan a Weekend Warrior from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2009

Strengths:    Super Strong and stiff.
Adjustable in all the important ways.
Perfect sizing for me (short, I'm 175cm).
Corners well.
Pedals great.
Fox Vanilla is setup perfectly.
Good looks.

Weaknesses:    Might be on the heavy side depending on how you set it up, but I have never been a weight weeny so all my components are chosen for function and strength, not weight. It came standard as 19kg I think and after I tinkered with it it was 21kg :)

Bottom Line:
I was after a bike that pedaled better, cornered better and took the big hits without flinching. This bike delivered all of that and more!

I changed the parts on it the instant I bought it, but this review is for the frame, not the complete bike as it no longer has any original parts other than the rear shock.

Geometry is spot on in the FR setting. I have not really tried the DH setting on the headset yet so I cannot comment on that too much.

I am using the 7.2" rear setting. I will be trying the other settings soon to see what the effect is. The tracks I ride don't really need to much suspension so the shorter setting has been fine till now.

Jumps and drops feel awesome. Smooth and responsive is how I would describe it. I am talking about 20+ foot gaps so not small stuff.

I have used it on big bike dirt jumps as well and it went really well.

Overall a fantastic frame which I would highly recommend to anyone that likes to ride all sorts of tracks and likes to go big :)

Favorite Trail:   Oxford Falls

Similar Products Used:   Giant Faith 1 and 2, Kona Dawg, Giant Glory, Norco Team DH, Ironhorse Sunday Team

Bike Setup:   888 RC2 WC forks.
Diabolous Stem.
Holzfellar cranks with Howitzer team BB.
SRAM X9 SS cage and X9 shifter.
Code brakes with straitline levers.
Arrow Racing DHX rims with Maxxis Minion 2.7 front and 2.5 rear.
Hadley hubs.