Schwinn Rocket Comp Freeride Full Suspension

• Freewheel: SRAM Power Glide 8 speed index cassette 11-32
  • Chain: Shimano CN-IG51

Submitted by Luv to ride a Weekend Warrior from Indianapolis, In, USA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2009

Strengths:    Great value, good components, full suspension with 5" travel for 1/2 price of other bikes on the market

Weaknesses:    Slightly heavy

Bottom Line:
I have ridden this bike for a few weeks now. I got a great deal on Craigslist and have not been disappointed. The suspension has plenty of travel and I have been riding trails with much more confidence. The disc brakes work great compared to my old pad brakes. For someone who wants to get a full suspension set-up under $1000 it's the way to go!

Favorite Trail:   Anything with downhill

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   K2 Zed, Cannondale M500

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by mtbr a Weekend Warrior from Sarasota, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2008

Strengths:    Sram drivetrain is an excellent system, shifters are crisp and fast, great rims, tough bike for the $$.

Weaknesses:    Stiff forks, too soft on the rear shock.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price. Good starter, tires wear down a little too quickly,@ 800 miles. If you can find it for $600, buy it! Not a great race bike, too heavy.

Favorite Trail:   Moonscape @ Alafia River

Purchased At:   HarborCountryBike@eB

Similar Products Used:   '05 Schwinn Rocket, '07 Giant anthem 2, '04 giant vt-2,

Bike Setup:   hayes mx-2, shimano deore front, sram x-9 rear, x-7 triggers, sram pg 950 cassette, wtb speeddisc rims + velociraptor tires.

Submitted by SaltCityRocker a Racer from SLC, Ut

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2008

Strengths:    I own the 2006 Rocket Comp, it is a solid piece of equipment. I was lucky to get hooked up with sram components, WTB wheels and hayes mechanical disc brakes.

Weaknesses:    I wish my brakes were hydralic

Bottom Line:
I have riden this bike to the best of my ability and this bike performs every time.

Favorite Trail:   The Bobsled

Purchased At:   harborcountrybike.co

Similar Products Used:   Iron Horse warrior, schwinn mesa hardtail

Submitted by Tom Robert a Cross Country Rider from Charlton, MA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2007

Strengths:    I am a roadie just getting into mt biking so I was looking for a FS that I could learn on. I went with this based on the great deal I got and other riders reviews. So far it works like a charm. I am 6' 2" at 195 lbs. riding the XL frame.

Weaknesses:    None so far as I am the biggest weakness at this point :-).

Bottom Line:
So far I love it. The previous owner gave me a great deal so even if I have some problems with the bike I won't be complaining. I am doing this to stay in shape for the off season. I hate riding inside on a trainer.I just started road racing this past summer on my Jamis Zenith Pro.

Favorite Trail:   Rutland Prison Camps

Purchased At:   Craigs list

Similar Products Used:   Old univega no suspension.

Bike Setup:   Stock setup except Specialized BG grips.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Provo, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2007

Strengths:    Fox Vanilla rear shock, Disc brakes, Great frame, great components

Weaknesses:    a little on the heavy side (around 34 lbs for a large 19" frame), but not outrageous for this type of bike.

Bottom Line:
When I went from an old GT to my Schwinn Mesa hardtail back in 2001, I knew I had upgraded drastically. After enjoying the Mesa for about 3 years, I looked into upgrading again, this time to a full suspension. I was very disappointed to learn Schwinn had become a Walmart brand. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Schwinn still offered some great bikes. This is one of those great bikes, at a steal of a price, slightly used off Ebay!

After getting it all set up, I headed to a nearby trail. What a joy to ride. Nearly no pedal bob! But, a great, smooth ride over bumps and rocks. The weight may be an issue when I try to go on longer rides, but it is comparable to my Warp anyway. Disc brakes work great, and the fork isn't as soft as others have mentioned, perhaps due to my skinny 155 pound body

Others have complained about the color and the frame design, but I have no complaints about either. The red color isn't as bright as I expected, and I personally think the frame is pretty sweet. Too bad it appears that Schwinn has gone back to making lower end bikes, as the 2005 and 2006 Rocket models (Comp or better) are some rock solid, fantastic bikes.

BUY THIS BIKE! It really is a great bike, at a fantastic value!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Giant Warp DS2, Schwinn Mesa, Giant AC 1

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by AJ a Weekend Warrior from Burke, VA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2007

Strengths:    Fox Vanilla on the 2005 model. Quality components all around for a bike at this price level. Sophisticated suspension with real sealed ball bearings instead of the bushings typically used. Decent fork. Lots of travel. Monster climber.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy. One of the main suspension bolts broke, but easily repaired.

Bottom Line:
I bought this for my son and would personally be happy with it in place of my Specialized FSR, which was 3 times the price!! This little Schwinn is agile, soaks up the bumps about as well as the Specialized, and is an excellent hill climber. It really does well when you're climbing and hit roots, rocks, washboards, and loose terrain. Something about the rear suspension really lets this bike dig in compared to other bikes I have ridden. This Schwinn gets you nothing in snob appeal, people won't even look past the name on the down tube, but they don't know what they are missing with this bargain!

Similar Products Used:   Specialised FSR (my regular bike) and other full suspension

Bike Setup:   Stock. NOTE: The components on the 2005 model are superior to the 2006 and later models. You almost need to go to the Pro version of the later models to be comparable.

Submitted by Cliff a Weekend Warrior from Provo, Ut, 84057

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2007

Strengths:    I love the suspension and the unique frame design! The Hayes mechanical brakes rock!

Weaknesses:    A bit on the heavy side...other than that I have not experienced any other problems. I am not a heavy rider only 130 lbs and I treat my bikes with much care and never take any drops bigger than five feet- mostly XC and a little DH.

Bottom Line:
The value is this bike's greatest strength! Extremely fun for downhill and almost just as fun for Cross Country. Much better value than all the other bikes I listed.

Favorite Trail:   Mesa Plateau

Purchased At:   eBay !

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback XSL -good value!
Raleigh 1.0 - Not a good value.
K2 Razorback Team - Excellent bike!
Ross Zemopi Team - a bit out dated.

Bike Setup:   Deore in the rear, Acera in the front, Hayes mechanical, Axel 120mm in the front, Fox Vanilla in the rear, Schwinn rocket comp 7005 with 120mm of travel.

Submitted by Jordan U a Weekend Warrior from Orange,Ca,USA

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2006

Strengths:    rear shock,crank set,and it has disc brakes

Weaknesses:    stock wheelset,I had the bike for 3 months and I cracked the left side of the swing arm. All I did was hold the front brake to lift the back of the bike up 1 foot when I came back down it just snapped the swingarm and I only weigh 125 pounds. Plus its kind of heavy at 36 pounds

Bottom Line:
I liked the bike until I broke it:)

Favorite Trail:   Fullerton Loop

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Truevativ hollzfeller 710mm 31.8 handlebar, race face evolve dh stem, marzocci dirt jump 3, and stock components

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior from Flemington NJ USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2006

Strengths:    Fox Vanilla rear comes stock, a nice touch. Brakes arent bad. Frame seems pretty strong.

Weaknesses:    Rotors on my brakes weren't true, the front shock isnt so great, should be ok for a beginner though. Not a downhill bike. YOu could make it one with more $$ and time. Shifters arent so great. will upgrade very soon.

Bottom Line:
A good buy, dont pay over 600 for it. I think its a great frame to work with if you're just getting into the sport. new fork a must! rims and tyres maybe, personal preference. They really arent that amazing. The frame is kind of ugly, but it functions nicely. The Iso- drive helps eliminate a little bob uphills, unfortunately not enough for me. Good value for a noob.

Favorite Trail:   High Point Z

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll 200, Trek Liquid Fuel 30

Bike Setup:   bone stock

Submitted by James from Gig Harbor, WA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2006

Strengths:    frame, decent components, price, doesnt look like everything else out there

Weaknesses:    front suspension, paint job, pedals, difficult to find e-type front derailleur

Bottom Line:
this bike is as good as you will find for this price, believe me, i looked everywhere. if you want to keep it stock, it rides well enough as long as you adjust the suspension accordingly. i am a bigger guy (214 lbs.) so the front suspension just was not cutting it. i am an upgrade freak though, so i decided if i was going to go in headfirst, i was going all the way. i am reaplcing almost everything to make the bike my own. the good part is that most of these components are decent enough to offset the cost of new ones if you sell them on ebay. the frame is a great design in my opinion. even with super soft front, i get little bob when climing hills (just adjust that real vanilla shock first). this is a good bike for people not willing to spend the big $$ on a specialized or a cannondale. time will tell how the frame holds up, but the welds look very solid to me. the paint is a little corny with cheap looking logos. i am going to strip the paint and put a snow cammo custom paint job on it. for someone looking to get into a bike that can do it all trail, all mountain, dh (okay, maybe not), and street... this bike is a good value. always check ebay first.

Similar Products Used:   gt xcr 5000

Bike Setup:   in progress - shimano xtr fd, sram x-9 shifters, sram x-9 rd, avid bb7 disc brakes, shimano clip in pedals, new suspension all around (still undecided), truvativ stylo 3.3 crankset, truvativ flat team handlebar, truvativ team stem, cane creek headset

Submitted by Todd H a Weekend Warrior from I-town, NY, Tioga

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2006

Strengths:    Nice upright geometry. No bob for the price really good components, love the welgo pedals! Rear shock pretty nice and hayes mechanical disc breaks work well.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy at 34 lbs on my scale. Painful stock seat, crank is not going to last long. Fork is not so hot, the axel by manitou is so soft I am afraid I will end up over the handle bars! But if you look at the price I paid over all that's no problem. Cheezy look with the bright red paint. I never thought I'd ride a schwinn lol....

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the price, although I would not pay more than $700 for it. (I paid $479 new) We will see how it lasts. For now it seems great, I have been in the woods with it several times mostly in very muddy conditions. Rides well on up and down hill xc. Get's funny looks from other riders, many agree it's kinda ugly. The fact is I would not pass up the deal I got and I am on ebay looking for component upgrades every evening lol.

Favorite Trail:   Shindagin Hollow trails

Purchased At:   ebay new from a liquidator

Similar Products Used:   My first xc bike was a 21" Specialized fsr xc comp. Nice bike but too tall, several crashes lead to broken collar bone, karma lead me to sell it on ebay. My next bike was pretty sick for the price, it was a Marin Rock springs. Great bike I traded it out for a WW kayak. Then I got to missing the XC shreading again so back to good ol ebay for this very comperable bike.

Bike Setup:   Hayes mech disc, ovation crank, axel fork for now, fox float coil oil rear shock. Pretty much stock for now.

Submitted by Ben from Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2006

Strengths:    Well it is rather awesome that you get a Fox Vanilla rear shock. the shifters are very well designed. Also, i have demoed horrendous Hayes mx2 brakes but these are flawless.

Weaknesses:    The fork is too slow in rebound. very spongy feel rewsulting. looks odd

Bottom Line:
this is an outstanding bike. it has such value in the rear shock that i dont mind that it looks like an animal carcass. the fork is so Wierd! i used to ride 75mm and switching to a 120mm sponge is bad. very bad. i was hammering it off curbs and doing wheelies, but it held up quite well.

Favorite Trail:   um, the dirt pile in my backyard.

Purchased At:   demoed at performance

Similar Products Used:   several annihalated bikes used by my neighbor, i own a gary fisher advance

Bike Setup:   bone stock

Submitted by Yuval Naveh a Weekend Warrior from OIesh, Israel

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2005

Strengths:    Excellent value - a lot of good components for such a price
Very good breaks

Weaknesses:    Front suspension is something that I'll replace for sure - way too soft, but I didn't expect high end components all over for that price, so I prefer the front suspension being low end rather than the breaks which are IMO excellent

A bit heavy - but I don't mind, so am I ;)

Bottom Line:
I like them and happy about the buy - It was not easy to find bikes for people with my height (196cm), and this one fits prefectly. The chasis is really high (21.5').
I already rode the bikes in bad surface conditions (Mud, Deep type ;)) and the behaved perfectly. Rear suspension is cool - no bobbing for me.

In one simple line: Excellent value!

Bike Setup:   Replaced the standard pedals with Red Wellgo MG 1 Magnesium Pedals - very happy about this

Submitted by Jesse Futrell a Weekend Warrior from Sierra Vista

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
Starter full suspension bike that is well worth the price. The suspension is low end but serves its purpose. I use it in the rocky singletrack of Arizona and it works wonders. The components work wonderful and the disc brakes are superb. It was the best full suspension out there that I could find that was sub $900. Great bike that I thrash on the trail and it hasn't failed me yet.

Purchased At:   San Antonio, Texas

Schwinn Rocket Comp Full Suspension Review

This is a continuation of a previous thread I started here about my Schwinn Rocket Comp Full Suspenson mountian bike: [url]http://forums.mtbr.com/beginners-corner/should-i-take-plunge-buy-full-suspension-mountain-bike-753734-post8776265.html[/url] I decided to start a new thread because I have ... Read More »

Schwin Rocket Comp

Any one know where i can find this bike in 21" ? see sepcs below // [url]http://www.thebicycleoutlet.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=214&category_id=77&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=32[/url]Read More »

Rocket Comp vs. Trek 4900... Other suggestions?

Hello everyone, I have been doing alot of research on what bike I want to buy and my price range is around 400-600 (600 at very most)... I like the Schwinn Rocket Pro but I am also weary of the cheap components often associated with cheaper DS bikes, but I have read some pretty good reviews as far a ... Read More »

Schwinn Rocket Comp? Weight?

Hey guys, How much does the rocket comp weight? Its not listed on the schwinn website. Bicycle outlet has the comp for $530. Seems like a good deal. What you guys think?Read More »

Schwinn Rocket Comp vs. Haro Shift R3

I am a 15 year old who has a budget of $800 and am going to be buying a new bike (first "real mtb) for the upcoming season. Which bike is better performance/quality wise? I ride technical singletrack by the way.Read More »