Santa Cruz Bullit Freeride Full Suspension

4.86/5 (117 Reviews)

A two-year absence can imply many things - a round-the-world sailing trip, half a college education somewhere far from home, going to jail for tax evasion – two years can change you, man... In the case of the Bullit, it was like a two-year stint in charm school. The bike is still big and brawny, built for tall drops and hard landings – with 178mm of rear wheel travel, a heavy duty 6069 aluminum frame with a stout 20mm pivot axle, a choice of either 135mm q.r or 150mm thru-axle dropouts, 203mm brake rotor clearance, an optional floating brake kit and a 1.5” steerer tube – but she’s come back with some very refined trail manners and a curvy set of new tubes. Charm school? Sure, but one that teaches judo too.

Submitted by syndicate

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2014

Strengths:    i think this bike is awesome, you can handle this bike as you want, agresive

Weaknesses:    so far i have no find the weak

Bottom Line:
the best bike with totem

Submitted by ike a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2014

Strengths:    i have one of these amazing bike. I'm so confident to chuck it into what ever the coarse can give you.

Weaknesses:    i would pre faire it if they wound alter the handle bars back about 10mm. I think it would make a hell of a difference to more of the down hill stuff.

Bottom Line:
I think the bike is good anyway

Purchased At:   ride on

Submitted by jokla

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2013

Strengths:    Bulit is a greatst bike i ever try, good handling, and easy to ride

Weaknesses:    No

Bottom Line:
Best bike

Submitted by harry bradshaw

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2012

Strengths:    strong

Weaknesses:    to valuble

Bottom Line:
This santa cruz bullit is what i got for my 12 birthday i remember it like yesterday i got everything i ever wanted when i opened this presant it was fantastic. 2 years later and im still riding it anywhere, everywhere i was known around my village with that bike but sadly as i was meeting up with my friend i placed the bike round the back of the house lent up to a fence and went and waited for my friend to finish his lunch. and to my disperlief and my misery in the few miniutes i left it unintended it was stolen from me and i was helpless. the worst day of my life but it wasnt over as i had to go back to a disapointed father and tell him what had happened and how i had let him down as he had always warned me of this. This bike was stolen from me on the 22 / 08/ 2012 in hazlemere there is a huge reward for anyone who can find it. i am still on the endless and helpless hunt for my much missed bike.

Submitted by Ady

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2012

Strengths:    strong enough for dh yet light enough for xc, the best all rounder ive ridden with the dhx 5, i can keep up with my mates demo 8 and v10 at morzine with boxxers on a frame half the price and then match xc enduros with fox vans on long cross country mooches, no prob with dropper seatpost, needed all bushes and bearings changing and full service after a year but im quite heavy rider so not really a weakness

Bottom Line:
top handling, bombproof, adaptable, the best all round heavy hitting mountain bike you'll ever own,

Submitted by setan13 a Weekend Warrior from Jakarta, Indonesia

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2011

Strengths:    strong and stiff frame. been hitting big rocks, feft from 1 meter away, hitting tree and still look strong.

Weaknesses:    since im using singe speed crank, it raelly hard to do All-mountain when i face some ascending track. otherwise..this bike is really awesome

Bottom Line:
This is the bike that you can bring to any terrain. it works on all mountain terrain as well as agressive downhil.

7" rear shock travel doesnt mean it cannot go uphill. ive change my crank from single to 3 speed xt and it works great too.

it can be xc when u have 140-160 mm fork with medium tire
it can be am with 160-180 mm fork with wide tire
it can be fr/dh with 180-203 mm fork with wide tire

yes..its an ultimate weapon to knock down everything in front of you..

BULLIT ROCKS..!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   SEBEX (Jakarta Downhill Park)

Purchased At:   2nd hand from friend

Similar Products Used:   no other so far (this is my 1st free ride bike :))

Bike Setup:   frame: Santa Cruz Bullit
rim: sun ringle intense mag 3.0
tire: kenda kinetic

Submitted by Fish111 a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver Island Canada

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2011

Strengths:    Simple beefy suspension. Overall light weight. Little maintaince. Very nimble, quick turning, very manouverable. 150mm rear end, 1.5 stear tube. You can pedal it uphill.

Weaknesses:    Poor high speed tracking, bike feels unstable because of short wheel base, steeper angles. Linear shock travel.

Bottom Line:
For the price this bike is good. For tight shore style trails this bike is great, big hits, skinnies, air the bike handles very well. For any kind of high speed the bike feels unstable, I got the floating brake kit, I couldn't tell the difference (waste of money). I'm looking to replace the frame, as I all my other parts outclass the bike. It will be a linkage bike as I have lost the love with the single pivot bike. That's my honest opinion.

Purchased At:   Calgary Cycle

Bike Setup:   Totem solo air, Fox DHX 5.0 coil, Cromag bars,seat post and seat , Holsfelger OCT cranks. Sram x9 shifters and derailer, MRP chainguide, Industry 9 wheels. Code brakes, floating brake kit.

Submitted by derekg399 a Downhiller from calgary alberta canada

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2010

Strengths:    very strong frame holds up very good hit about 300 trees and it still hasn't dented very good components

Weaknesses:    good luck finding any ;)

Bottom Line:
an unbelievable bike for the price i wouldn't get anything other than this anyone one wants a bike that will do everything get this

Favorite Trail:   DH course at C.O.P

Purchased At:   the bike shop

Similar Products Used:   kona cindercone, specialized sx,specialized enduro EVO

Bike Setup:   handlebars: easton monkey bars
stem: easton vice
grips: odi lock-on ( 1 season old)
shifter: mega 9
headset: AHeadset
brakes: avid juicy 5 ( 8" front, 6" rear)
cranks: truvativ holzfeller
pedals: kona stock
bottom bracket: skf (1/2 season old)
bash guard: e- thirteen
saddle: wtb
seat post: thompson elite
front wheel: white industries 20mm hub with mavic 729 rim
rear wheel: dt swiss onyx qr hub with mavic 729 rim
rear derailleur: shimano slx (1 season old)
fork: manitou sherman (seals 1 season old)
rear shock: progressive 5th element

Submitted by big daddy a Cross Country Rider from tacoma, wa, usa

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2010

Strengths:    solid, gusseted to hell, huge pivot bearing. good geo.

Weaknesses:    none. if you think its too heavy for xc, your weak!

Bottom Line:
you gotta get up to get down. i love a long dh blast, but not before a good workout. this bike does it all. yes, i weigh in at 31 lbs, but im not a pussquit. i ride multi day trips xc, with front and rear racks, a huge pack, and im fat...and this thing makes all of that still feel comfortable. mine is a 2010, and i have a lot more to show her, but she is ready!

Favorite Trail:   duthie hill mtb park

Purchased At:   criagslist

Bike Setup:   custom built dhx 5.0, pushed vanilla rlc 140, xtr f/r der's, avid elixir cr 185's, xt crankset, xt shifters, raceface deus post, stem, and bars, loco rims on dt spokes and hope pro ii hubs

Submitted by Paul Fransella a Weekend Warrior from Miami, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2010

Strengths:    This bike is very versitile and rides beautifully. It is tough and pretty light all things considered.

Weaknesses:    None that I have seen.

Bottom Line:
This is my favorite mountain bike. It reminds me of a motocross bike - the ride is soft but not too soft and it turns predictibly. The front wheel seems swept forward a bit more than most other bikes I have ridden, and the bike just seem to feel bigger than it is. Strength, simplicity, and good looks to boot. Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   Gun Range at Markham

Purchased At:   private party

Similar Products Used:   Superlight, Blur Carbon, GT's, Cannondales, Scotts, Trek, Jamis, etc

Bike Setup:   Pretty much all Azonic where possible - Outlaws, bars, stem, pedals, post etc. Marzocchi forks, Fox shock, Hayes brakes.

Submitted by larry a Weekend Warrior from calgary alberta

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2010

Strengths:    I am a big guy and it has been absolutly bombproof for the last 6 or 7 years. I have thousands of miles on it, other than routine maintenance, it has been flawless. I am pushing 60 and fully expect it to be my last mountain bike!

Bottom Line:
It pedals well uphil and is wonderfully nimble. If you, like me, like to just ride without doing a bunch of repairs or maintenance, buy this bike.

Favorite Trail:   porqupine rim

Purchased At:   bowness cycle, calga

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale gemini(tons of problems), DeVinci Full Contact(broke the frame)

Bike Setup:   Simple, once I got the 5th element dialed in

Submitted by Dek a Weekend Warrior from Sao Paulo; Brazil

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2009

Strengths:    Very Light frame, fast and easy to handle.The Orange colour!

Weaknesses:    No one until now, but the paint will be on this list!!!

Bottom Line:
Great bike!!!After read some reviews, We can easy understand how this bike is a LEGO....I started build this bike with a sweet Fox 36 RC2 and works pretty well, but after take out the front derailler and change for a E-13 and change the Fox 36 for a RockyShox Boxxer race (200mm).Seems crazy???No....The bike has change it... and personnality also...I've ride in the first configuration over a year, and I've changed around 2 weeks....and now I can tell you that I've a new bike.
The DHX 5 Coil is a great shock, thank you for Chris Robinson and their friends at Santa Cruz factory, for that....
Great bike....a real Legend!!

Favorite Trail:   Cantareira Mountains

Purchased At:   Robinson Wheel Works

Similar Products Used:   Nomad, Big Hit....

Bike Setup:   XT on rear, E-13, Fox DHX 5.0 Coil, Boxxer Race, Juicy Seven, Race face stem/seat post.

Submitted by lhliu a Weekend Warrior from portland, oregon

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2009

Strengths:    simplicity, versatility, durability

Bottom Line:
can do light freeride (maybe heavy freeride but i'm the limiting factor as far as that goes), i also use it for xcountry, even use it for cardio/road riding
it performs admirably in all those scenarios; i've had zero maintenance issues so far; the aluminum tubing is a nice thick gauge so won't be prone to dents; a true all-mountain bike

Favorite Trail:   black rock, post canyon, whistler

Purchased At:   santa cruz as warran

Similar Products Used:   heckler

Bike Setup:   fox 36 talas r, dhx air 5.0, nevegal 2.35, formula brakes

Submitted by motor17 a Downhiller from Vernon, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2009

Strengths:    extremely strong, simple to set up

Weaknesses:    no replaceable rear hanger

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing...it can take anything you can throw at it. Simple suspension design requires very little maintenance. Buy one!

Favorite Trail:   Rockstar,

Purchased At:   on-line

Bike Setup:   05 Bullit frame, 888RC forks, Fox DHX 5.0 shock, Juicy brakes, Truvativ cranks, Dark cycles bashguard, XT derailleur, XTR shifter pod, Mavic 321 wheels w/ Onyx hubs

Submitted by Jason a Downhiller from Edmonton Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2009

Strengths:    Frame, its a Santa Cruz so you know its simple and to the point plus bomb proof. Sram components come stock. Do anything bike.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't come with a chain guide or lock on grips. Bike is built for free ride it should have those stock but its only a couple hundred bucks so small price to pay.

Bottom Line:
This is the best bang for your buck bike. It does anything you throw at it. With this bike your riding ability will raise to a new level. Comes with some of the best components on the market so you don't have to spend a ton more money on it. I ride downhill and free ride and there isn't a trail I don't hit then I ride home on it.

Favorite Trail:   Mount 7

Purchased At:   River Valley Cycle

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock due to stock components are top of the line. Did switch out the fork to Rock Shock Boxxer World Cup, ODI grips and Gamut P30 chain guide.

Dual crown for Bullit?

It was suggested I ask this here. Dual Crown for Bullit help please I am new to MTB. Bought my first and only bike a month ago. After doing research and the deal I got. Went with 2010 Bullit. So far I am pretty happy with it. But there is some room for improvement for what I like doing. I mostly s ... Read More »

Dual Crown for Bullit help please

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial]I am new to MTB. Bought my first and only bike a month ago. After doing research and the deal I got. Went with 2010 Bullit. So far I am pretty happy with it. But there is some room for improvement for what I like doing. I mostly shuttle with my friends or been going to Sno ... Read More »

Old School Bullit rear shock...little help

I've got an 03 Bullit. SC says the rear mounts are 8mm by 22mm in front, 42mm in the rear. I've got a Vanilla RC from back then too, but I can't find the Fox reducer or pin and sleeve kit to mount the damn shock. I've found some mounts, but they are for Manitou shocks, even though the measu ... Read More »

Stripped derailleur hangar. Bullit. Help!

Help!? I'm sure this has happened to someone else, but I'm kinda drawing a blank on the best solution. Some how my derailleur got caught in my spokes when landing a jump and stripped the threads out. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. [ATTACH=CONFIG]783805[/ATTACH]Read More »

Santa Cruz Bullit or Upgrade What I Have

So I am looking into getting back into biking again. I currently have a gary fisher fat possum. I found someone local selling a Santa Cruz bullit with bomber super T fork, 5th element rear shock, Hope m4 disc brakes and it seems to be in really good condition. The guy selling it is looking to get $6 ... Read More »