Rocky Mountain Switch S1 Freeride Full Suspension

• Shifters: Shimano Deore
  • Pedals: Wellgo Big Flats

Submitted by Jonathan a Weekend Warrior from Austin Texas

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2011

Strengths:    It's realible and very sturdy and strong. Great set up. Provides a lot of travel and a smooth ride

Weaknesses:    Head length is a tad weird and I can't always adapt my parts from my trek to it.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for most things

Favorite Trail:   Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   2009 trek 4 series

Bike Setup:   2009 rock shox tora, avid BB5 disk brakes, 2.25 inch IRC cross country tires.

Submitted by chris666 \m/ a Weekend Warrior from toronto

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2010

Strengths:    runs pretty good, i do more cross country than i do downhill and it can do both.

Weaknesses:    ive snapped 2 derailleur hangers both before long weekends which sucked even more, the last time it happened i only went of a curb and i almost went for a bail when it happened, the first time was off a picnic table. other than that i've had no problems

Bottom Line:
its a damn good bike, downhills really well and i can do cross country on it despite it weighing over 40 lbs. a lot of fun to ride as well...and it looks bad ass

Bike Setup:   i just put 2009 marzocchi 66's on it and they are pretty sweet

Submitted by Andrew Mahony a Weekend Warrior from Sunshine Coast, Qld, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, beautiful frame, light for it's capabilities, great suspension action - better DH / freeride bike than previous bike (mongoose black diamond) even though it has 40 odd mm less travel in the rear, decent wheel set (mavic), very responsive and manouverable (better than RMX in my opinion for this reason)and just great fun to ride. Have even done 15+ klm trail rides on demanding, technical(FUN) trails with ease.

Weaknesses:    If I had to be picky - Fox vanilla does allow a bit of bob - but I believe in ACTIVE suspension - why lock it out etc. (plan to upgrade to DHX AIR when I've got the dosh!) Part spec was a bit lacking but I bought old model for nearly half original retail so can't complain.

Bottom Line:
Great, fun bike for the aggressive trail rider / freerider who may even have a go at the DH racing scene. Love the frame - great looking bike thats different and not punched out of the chinese cookie cutters. Vaue rating based on RRP. For my price it was a smokin deal!

Favorite Trail:   Parklands, Mapleton DH

Purchased At:   Cycleworld Maroochydore

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mtn RMX, Mongoose Black Diamond, Da Bomb Moab

Bike Setup:   Swapped a lot of bits. Now running Boxxer Rides, Hayes El Camino(8" Fr, 6" R), E-Thirteen dual chan device, Sram X7, Race Face Diablos Stem and Evolve DH bar, ODI Rogue Lock-Ons. Have second Wheel set - old Syncros Big Box with 2.35 tyres for lighter aggressive trail riding duties.

Submitted by Switchs1 from Sacromento, CA

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2006

Strengths:    The frame is hand made and super lite. The front end is very lite making wheelies and bunny hops very easy.The brakes stop on a dime and the wheels are really strong

Weaknesses:    Front fork does not have many adjustments and you need to chance the sliders in the fork to take away the noise. I blew out the fox vainela but the people at fox hooked me up with a new one at no cost.And I don't know if it is just me buut I keep bending my disks.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike. Industructable frame with quality conponets. This bike can do it all downhill, freeride, dirt jump, and trail riding. If you are looking for a good freeride and downhill bike this is the bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   shotgun at Mammath

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Mikes bikes

Similar Products Used:   scott high octane, specilized big hit 1 & 2, coiler, switch pro, gemini 900 & 600.

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Griffin a Weekend Warrior from Conestogo

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2006

Strengths:    ROCKY MOUNTAIN.......CANADA.....HAND MADE.

Weaknesses:    drop offs and vanilla R

Bottom Line:
AWESOME, after enitial break in the bike works great but if u upgrade the fork and rear shock, OMG this thing will climb like a rock climber, DH like a boulder and will freeride well like a free rider hehe, well it did that before but wait untill you unleash in from the boring components.

Favorite Trail:   Highway

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Braun's cycle

Similar Products Used:   first rear suspension bike

Bike Setup:   um rockshox race, progrssive 5th gamut chain guide raceface DH stem mtx rim etc etc

Submitted by JT a Weekend Warrior from sarnia, ont, canada

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2006

Strengths:    tough and solid, great build, minions are great performing tires, the wellgos are a nice "grippy" pedal

Weaknesses:    adjustment on forks would be nice. a little slow on flat sections

Bottom Line:
full out 'flowy ride, great up or down.
be nice to have even something of a performance adjust on the fork, but a marzocchi shock pump will fit in a hydropack....
if you wanna ride ups and hard downs this is perfect

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   centre ice sports and cycle

Bike Setup:   stock- set up for 200lb rider(stiff)

Submitted by Jean-Marc korkmaz a Downhiller from Menlo Park, California, USA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2005

Strengths:    For the price you pay the bike is great, the cranks and bottom bracket are super nice teh frame is nice, wheels are pretty good also.

Weaknesses:    the fork is not great but handles every thing i throw at it. the rear and front serailleur suck so much, i had an accident because of it.

Bottom Line:
its a great bike for the price, its light weight super strong, and its a great bike for all around biking.

Favorite Trail:   Carlmont/DMC

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Similar Products Used:   ID say most Norco's, Kona Stinky and Specialized big hit fsr

Bike Setup:   all stock except for brand new 06 marzocchi 888rc2 and rear derailleur: shimano xtr

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver BC

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2005

Strengths:    Great value, very solid bike

Weaknesses:    None really; maybe chain dropping up front, but that's expected. The fork could be better but does well on slow freeride stuff.

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a light freeride bike that feels solid and this is it. This bike takes ~4ft to flat like nothing happened, and feels very solid cruising over loose rock. At the same time it pedals beautifully.

Overall a stellar bike for those transitioning from XC to freeride.

Favorite Trail:   Fromme

Purchased At:   Cypress (used)

Similar Products Used:   01 RM Edge with Jr T, Norco Six, Kona Stinky

Bike Setup:   Stock S1

Submitted by Kris a Weekend Warrior from Woodstock Ont.

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2005

Strengths:    Tough, stiff, beautiful welds, RF cranks,Canadian built, geometry The linkage design standing the test of time.For the most part, good part specs!

Weaknesses:    Drop off fork

Bottom Line:
This bike is way better then my last one (Norco Fluid). I have become more confident, dropping larger everyday and laughing at old fears. I have riden this bike on single track, it pedals so well and climbs nice for a spring. I know Blue Mtn. is nothing compared to the west, but I had so much fun there on this bike, jumps, drops and downhills where so much fun. There is nothing else that I can say that, this bike is perfect for me, and a free rider in you!
BUY ONE today and treat your self.

Favorite Trail:   unknown

Purchased At:   Sporting Life

Similar Products Used:   I ride it some times like an all mountian, so Norco Fluids, Norco Six, Most Norco Shore Bikes, Speacilized Big Hits, Kona Stinkys

Bike Setup:   When I bought the bike, I swapped the fork for a Pike, an inch less, but I have not bottomed it out, and it is way more adjustable. The Pike is amazing!

Submitted by Mark Hudson a Cross Country Rider from Oceanside, CA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2005

Strengths:    It is light weight for a freeride/extreme xc bike but is still beefy and very capable of taking anything I can throw at it. The looks and the fact that most people don't have them; I have not seen another on the mountain yet which is always cool.

Weaknesses:    The S1 comes with some pretty weak components out of the box; Triple Drop-Off, Deore front, lx rear but the way I figure why pay the 3500 for the S3 when the parts are going to break eventually anyway; I'll just replace with Saint and 66 when the time comes and ride hard until it does.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding the daylights out of this bike since I have had it and I can do anything I want. I have done 13 mile climbs with relative ease and turned around and absolutely screamed down the same 13. I've done Big Bear 4 times and get faster every time down. The bike handles well, peddles efficiently for a freeride bike and goes down like a bat out of hell. I would say for anyone looking to get into freeride or more aggressive xc this a great bike to start with.

Favorite Trail:   Big Bear

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Nothing in this class; this is my first forray in the Freeride market.

Bike Setup:   Already mentioned in product weaknesses.

Submitted by jon waters a Weekend Warrior from san francisco

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2005

Strengths:    bike is solid. R.M.B. hand made nuffsaid. Just took it to Northstar.
Soaked up everything the bigger DH bikes were hitting.
Well balanced and flies thru the air. Water bottle holder.

Weaknesses:    Forks for the price you cannot expect any more. Bike will be wicked with 888's.
although a lot heavier. For downhill you could use better breaks I found myself having to use 2 fingers sometimes for the back.

Bottom Line:
If your looking for the lighter side of freeride but still able to handle the big stuff this bike does ride uphill and handles really well on the way down no matter what the terrain. If you just take ski lifts and can afford it get a Demo 8.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   mikes

Similar Products Used:   bighit fsr- nice and chunky, good looking but does'nt ride all mountain as well.

Bike Setup:   stock so far

Submitted by Jon a Downhiller from Nor Cal

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2005

Strengths:    This is my first freeride bike owned but my second Rocky. They are great bikes in general and always have stood up pretty well to my beatings.The fork is not that bad although it lacks compression adjustments and also only has one coil. The fact that you can stiffen it without taking it in and buying new springs or heavier oil is really nice.

Weaknesses:    Hayes HFX 9 are not very fun. They are ok in the beginning but then a cap on the caliper comes off and you lose fluid and then you hate them. The fork could have been better at least a junior t)It would be nice to have a little more rear travel

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for starting freeriders and intermediates if you are an expert rider go for either the switch s3 or an rmx or just upgrade the switch s1. If taken it off of 13 foot stepdowns, 17 foot doubles, and 8 foot drops and it has performed great. It isnt very heavy either so I can do skinnies and technical shore stuff. The price at the top of this page isnt correct it does not cost 4000. I got mine on a discount, supposedly 15%, and it cost me 1490. This is a great bike backed by a great company. RM for life

Favorite Trail:   Dirt Merchant