Orange Five Freeride Full Suspension

The Five is built tough, it’ll handle any trail obstacle you might throw at it.

Its smoothly rolled and welded tubes shuck off any challenge. But it’s not all that hefty. The Five has taken solo riders to podiums at 24 hour races. Try telling one of those hardcases that they’re carrying around too much bike!

You might think you need to go bigger, you might think you need lighter and leaner. The simple truth is that the Five is all the bikes that 90% of the population needs.

Submitted by Chuckles a Weekend Warrior from Shropshire

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2006

Strengths:    Light, Stiff and reeps confidence in the rider.

Weaknesses:    None as yet.

Bottom Line:
I loved my Intense Spider, it climbed and descended like a trooper. Although it was a XC bike, I rode it with 125mm Fox Talas up front and felt it never hindered me at all whilst charging down the trails after the 3 lads I bike with on their 6 inch plus trail bikes. So much so, I swore I would never depart with it. How wrong was I!!! After demoing a 5 at Glentress I couldnt believe it - and neither could the lads - as soon as I started to ride it I wanted one. Although it has more travel the excellent manitou shock stops any pedal bob, and because the geometry is slightly different to the intense I actually found it easier to ride up hill as I was in a more relaxed position! Then when it came to the downhill sections, talk about big cheesey grins all the way down! And who says girls cant jump! On the day a returned back to Shropshire I went to my local bike shop and ordered a frame. I now have it and all I can say it is an excellent bike, it looks awesome, it rides awesome - the best purchase I have made so far!

Similar Products Used:   None really. Previous bikes Giant NRS and Intense Spider.

Bike Setup:   14inch frame in chrome grey with Manitou Swinger. Rockshox Pike Air U-Turn. All the usual Hope and Easton components.

Submitted by Bart Simpson a Weekend Warrior from Northamptonshire, UK

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2005

Strengths:    Great geometry, reliability, spec.

Weaknesses:    Haven't figured any out yet.

Bottom Line:
I wanted an all day, trail bike with good singletrack handling and decent biggish hit performance, good mud clearance and sturdy simplistic design. The Five seemed to fit that bill, and I reluctantly parted with the cash eventually, and found that the bike was spot on. For all terrain, all mountain biking, in all weather, with excellent climbing ability not compromising stonking stability on the downhills, this bike is the business. And it looks the bollox as well! No regrets here!

Similar Products Used:   Only various hardtails, Specialized Stumpjumper, Marin Mount Vision

Bike Setup:   Fox Talas RL, Manitou Swinger 4-way, otherwise standard 2004 spec