Nicolai Helius ST Freeride Full Suspension

MSRP : $2099.00

• 4 bar-linkage-design
  • 7.5 inches of travel with a 24 inch wheel
  • New gusset designs
  • Long travel double crown forks

Submitted by Allen Richards a Weekend Warrior from St.George, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2007

Strengths:    Extremely well built, classic German attention to detail. When aboard this bike the words that immediately comes to mind are stiffness and stability, it's very confidence inspiring for a bike to feel that way when you weigh nearly 250 lbs geared up. It's hard to pin how the suspension feels, it's not fluffy or firm but a sublime medium that always feel just right. I don't do the lift ticket scene, I pedal to the top and this bike pedals very well though you can feel the weight beneath you. The one last thing that has really stood out so far is the balance.....it's perfectly centered and low, this bike rides like a stealth bomber.

Weaknesses:    Remember how I said the bike is extremely well built, well that make her a stout little gal but on a free ride rig it's to be expected. The low bottom bracket (low as opposed to other long travel bikes) means you have to watch your pedals over obstacles.

Bottom Line:
I've owned and ridden quite a few different rigs, My journey to the perfect bike started this spring when I decided to get a long travel ride and since then I've owned/ridden many bikes always thinking this next one will be the one. Well about ten thousand dollars spent and recouped later I've found the one. This bike doesn't ride like anything I've ever tried, in fact at the risk of sounding like a rich jerk I'd say the closest thing I've ever ridden on, or in, is my Mercedes! The bike is just so dang substantial and stable, which equals trust and confience in your's and the bike's abilities! The balance is such that with very litte fore or aft body language you can be climbing or descending some wicked steep stuff. I know a lot of people have had concerns with parts availability and such but Matt over at Nicolai USA is great and can patiently handle loads of ridiculous inquiries. I researched this more than when I bought my car! Thanks Matt. This bike is definitely not for everyone but my search is over, and I've got my "ONE" bike (I still roll the gemini 900, and Turner XCE. I couldn't find a reason to get rid of them, also great bikes).

Favorite Trail:   paradise canyon

Purchased At:   Nicolai USA

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Gemini 900, Maverick ML8, Gary Fisher Super Caliber 29, Turner Sultan, Turner XCE, Cannondale Super V 1000.

Bike Setup:   Medium frame with a Romic rear coilover ( I'm 5'11', and it's a slightly compact and upright fit which is good for the bike's application ) 66 Light, X7 shifters, X9 rear der., LX front der., Hayes 9, Thomson seatpost and stem, FSA freeride bars, Truvativ holzefeller cranks, Sun Rhyno Lite's with Ringle hubs.

Submitted by Rog a Weekend Warrior from London, UK

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2005

Strengths:    This is a review for the 2005 Nicolai Helius ST.

Geometry designed around 888 forks (no more slack tanking) giving a good 66.7 degree head angle.
Super Stiff - not tried anything as stiff.
Lots of options available.
4 bar & pedal efficient placing of pivot.
Quality of build - absolutely peerless, very high attention to detail. Just look at the welding and the neat cable runs.
Very strong supportfrom the UK importer Mike who was willing to answer my constant inane questions.
Rohloff hub compatible - I run mine with a traditional drive train though.
Highly adjustable. Several different travel settings as well as abilty to take different shock lengths & tune head angle.
Bottomless travel.
Option of a demountable tower to allow for a front mech (although it looks minging with it so I went without & run a chain guide).

Weaknesses:    Waiting time - each one is built to order so expect a lead time of 10 weeks.
Expensive - although when you get it and see the quality you know why.
Pivot point - low point means not as supple as say a 222 as it is more of a freerider than a DH, although can be used very competently for DH.
If you ride a lot where you have to carry your bike this will be a problem as you can't really get a hold along the top tube due to shock placement.

Bottom Line:
Rides VERY sweetly, geometry spot on for me (6' & medium). really nice head angle with 888s on. I've not got on immediately as well with any bike as this (although the VPFree I tried did feel a perfect fit in a car park test!)

I've owned this bike for close to 3 months with on average 2 - 3 rides a week.

Since I've had it my riding has become so much smoother and more confident than when riding my old Stinky or my hardtail. The 8" eat everything up even in case of user error. The quality of the suspension action is also spot on. Very Stiff bike. The 4 bar action means much smoother braking as well.

Very good weight for a big bike. Noticeable difference between this and a friend's Demo8.

Comments I have had from friends include "Oh my God Rog looks like a smooth rider", "Makes my Patriot feel like a flexy thing, I want a new bike", "I've not seen a bike as nice before in the flesh"

Totally pimp ride, no one else will have one and you'll draw all sorts of admiring looks and questions from randoms. Suitable for anyone who wants a top of the line big bike for extreme freeride/ freeride / a bit of downhill. COuld even be run nicely in a lower travel setting with some nice long singe crowns & lighter kit as a harcore trail bike.

Favorite Trail:   Clown Shoes