Mountain Cycle Sin Freeride Full Suspension

• BB width 73
  • Standover height

Submitted by Kristian Bown

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2014

Strengths:    Unbelievable frame.Looks super overbuilt for All mountain riding but can handle literally everything you throw at it.I've ridden Downhill,Freeride,long XC loops and the thing just begs for more.It loves air time aswell,jumps like a grasshopper on steroids.Really light too.Always raises an eyebrow down at the trails.Absolutely love it.Awesome frame.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness i've found was because of hollow monocoque design,bike can be really noisy hammering downhill.Easy to sort with strategically placed sticky velcro patches.The fork stopper is o.k if your running triple clamp forks but i'm running single clamps and x-ups and bar spins are impossible unless you carve the ali stopper off with a grinder!

Bottom Line:
Mountaincycle designed this frame for All Mountain which it does very well,but its capable of a hell of a lot more.Very flickable,ultra responsive and very strong.I salute you Mountaincycle for making such an amazing frame(you shouldnt of discontinued it) though.The Battery is great but the Sin can handle almost as much and is lighter too.I've been riding my Sin since 2003 and its still going strong,testament to an iconic design from a groundbreaking company.

Submitted by tiger094 a Weekend Warrior from Valdosta, Ga

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2010

Strengths:    Strong frame, excellent overall geometry, monoque swingarm

Weaknesses:    not made anymore, BB is high and that raises the seat height. Could be 1-2 inches lower.

Bottom Line:
Well, I have heard alot of reports of the the welds cracking on the upper shock mount, that made me apprehensive about buying it. I heard the cockpit was short and riding position is high compared to other bikes.
When I assembled the bike and slung a leg over.....whooooaa, it was tall. It was about 2 inches higher than the zone and I felt noticably forward, very strange. Initiaslly I though I made a mistake with this frame. That weekend it was loaded up and taken to the trails for a ride. Right off, i noticed it was a capable climber and got way over my head riding up a down directioal pallet ramp. It was steep and I went 3/4 the way up where it got real steep. The bike wouldve made it, I ran out of leg though and came to an abrupt halt and reverse of direction, ouch. I couldnt believe I even attempted it. It took about an hour of riding to get used to the bikes tall feel, but once I did I really started enjoying the ride. The bike turns like on rails(very stable), takes hits from rocks and roots without a flinch and flys straight even when I launch of balance. The downhills around here arent as steep as up north, but we have some steeps. The bike feels good and stable, I can slide back naturally thanks to the short cockpit and get my weight back. The bike climbs extremely well, I have 8 inches of travel and still made it up some very steep hills. It feels like a strong solid bike that auto corrects your mistakes. I truely believe that the people that were breaking the bike were hardcore downhillers and huckers. This is not a downhill bike! Its All Mountain. If you want a downhiller buy the 9.5. Mountain Cycle needs to bring this bike back. They made the Fury as a replacement but after looking at the specs and saw how close they mimick the Sin with the exception of steeper head angle, I wanted a sin. Good choice for me. The head angle on the sin is steep enough for me, any steeper would cost you on decents. Great bike overall. Im giving 5 Chillis even though the Bottom bracket seems a lil high. I dont think anyone builds a better All Mountain bike. This bike is before its time.

Similar Products Used:   Ibex Zone FR-1, Yeti ASR, Pro Flex 5500

Bike Setup:   I bought the frameset an built it with Marz 888 fork, Roco air shock (8 inches of travel) Hayes 9 discs, XT shifters.

Submitted by Megalloy a Weekend Warrior from Knoxville, TN

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2008

Strengths:    Frame design, massive rear travel, ability to go from agressive downhill riding to towing a child on a tag-a-long...just switch crankset and go!

Weaknesses:    none, yet...except I got the fugly yellowish-tan model.

Bottom Line:
This bike is killer if you are accustomed to riding a dirtbike. I am coming off a 2001 CR250R and this is gives you essentially the same secure feel of knowing that you'll run out of nerve long before it runs out of capability. This is one of the great fat-tire rides ever made and will leave you smiling every time you ride it.

Favorite Trail:   Coal Creek/Windrock

Bike Setup:   WB DH-2's, 5th element, Kore, Holzfeller TV, SRAM everything, RaceFace, Bontrager's...

Submitted by UncaJohn a Weekend Warrior from Athens - Greece

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2008

Strengths:    High BB, extremely flickable, lots of frame clearance space, clean lines, accepts wide (normal) tires

Weaknesses:    Well, based on the fact that i do also rode a San Andreas for a long time, i can say that i haven's located any.

Bottom Line:
Well,
The bike felt way too familliar, as i was ridding a San Andreas classic for a long time.
The bike amazed me with the smoothness of the rear suspension system (one more browny on the single pivot designs!).
The bike climbed even better than my San Andreas and it is extremelly flickable into our tight & technical trails (at firts i was too worried as the weelbase is a bit longer than what i'm used to, see San Andreas).
On descending the bike has supreeme feel. I discovered that i was going way too fast when started to brake! This bike can do everything!

A note here please, i just want to say that at the top of our steep mountains, here in Greece i can see ONLY heavy FS bikes!
-No hardtails,
-No sissy lightweight race FS.
Now, this tells us something eh?

Bottom of bottom line.
if you can locate a SIN frame, just get it, add a 180mm fork and you're ready to rip dirt!

Favorite Trail:   Infamous10, The5, kalopoula, Goura

Purchased At:   adrenalinebikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Mountain Cycle San Andreas

Bike Setup:   Marz66 180mm front, Full XT drivetrain, custom machined bashring, Titec collapsible seatpost, Nokian gazzaloggi 26X2,6 front, NBX 26X2,5 rear, TIME FR pedals, Chris King steelset, DMR hubs, etc,etc.

Submitted by Nick Rarang a Downhiller from Granada Hills, CA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2008

Strengths:    Looks like my Shockwave 9.5 and is very rare so I get so many stares. It's got a pretty solid feel and is extremly flickable. The bike climbs like a goat even on rocky technical uphills and is just a blast on the dh.

Weaknesses:    It was re-classified as an AM/light FR bike by new MC management. I got the frame so cheap with no warranty. I wonder if I could break this beast though. Breaking it would be an honor though. Don't exactly consider it a weakness but it can't plow as well a my Shockwave 9.5

Bottom Line:
An Extremly flickable bike. Climbs like a goat. I've done 20+ miles XC rides but could DH down 75% of the Shockwave 9.5. I got a good deal for the price I paid. I don't think I can break this thing.

Favorite Trail:   Hummingbird

Purchased At:   Mountain Cycle H.O.

Similar Products Used:   Owned : MC Shockwave 9.5 and KHS FR2000
Tested : Ironhorse 7 point, Santacruz VP Free, Transition BR, Giant Reign X etc.

Bike Setup:   '06 Zoke 66 RC2X Works, Progressive 5th Element 5way, Hope Mono6 Ti, Mavic Deetraks, Shimano Saint Drivetrain, E13 DRS, Easton AdVice Stem/Handlebar, Thomson Elite Seatpost; 38 lbs build.

Submitted by XL1EN a Downhiller from Deltona

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2007

Strengths:    Every Thing is nice, It can get a little step on the head angle making the rider feel crunched in, but besides that very nice freeride, Urban, Park, Dj, and DH. I have to say this frame is a perfect. Frame was originally classed as DH FR @ Mountaincycle05.com Since, the new owners bought it they reclassedthe SIn as an All Mountain and Lite Freeride. This Worries me because i it 7ft to flat on this bike all day long, now i am starting to wonder if i will break it soon.

Weaknesses:    Sit High, and steep head angle with large fork

Bottom Line:
This build rocks, very solid build I 've drop from 8ft to flat and it eats it up. Not sure on way MC reclassed it so going to get a different frame Transition Dirt Bag. ;)In it's class it is an outstanding frame. FreeRide forever!

Favorite Trail:   Vortex Pit Santos

Purchased At:   Adrenaline

Similar Products Used:   Yeti DJ, KHS, Mongoose

Bike Setup:   07 float 36 RC2, Hussfelt cranks GIGpipe dh BB73, Raceface steam 0'50 31.8, easton DH bars, TBC pedals, X9 SRAM shifter and cog, Hayes 9 series, azonic outlaws huchainson tires i think thts how you spell that.

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2007

Strengths:    -Plush ride
-Great design
-Do it all flexibility

Weaknesses:    None so far, just my build kit

Bottom Line:
I have been researching the right bike for me for a long time now. I needed a bike that would help me get in shape and build my long lost bike skill up and never hold me back. I have liked the Sin the first time I saw it a couple years ago on Interbike. When I saw the 2006 frame on sale I had to have it. I wanted a do-it-all bike that I could pedal up hill (live at base of Rockies) and also take to Colorado Ski resorts for some downhill. Due to current budget, I got it with a XC/AM build kit with only a 5” fork. I plan on upgrading it to full FR/DH spec as my skills increase. The bike rides great now as a trail bike and I can tell that as my skills increase and I upgrade to stronger parts this frame will never let me down. Mountain Cycle (Tim) has been great at answering all my tech questions. It looks like when MC starts selling bikes soon, as the new company, they will be back at the top of the market. Look forward to my next review when I have a Marzocchi 66rc3 on it.

Favorite Trail:   Ute Valley Park

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   None. BMX as a child & teen. First MB

Bike Setup:   SRAM X7 XC/AM Build Kit

Submitted by COLIN MORTSON a Downhiller from BURBANK

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2007

Strengths:    I use this bike for drops and hardcore downhill trails it takes it all well.

Weaknesses:    none so far...

Bottom Line:
i HAVE FOUND NO FLAWS IN THIS BIKE i HAVE YET TO TAKE IT OFF ANY big hits BUT i WILL SOON AS i AM ABLE TO DO ANYTHING YOU WANT WITH THIS THING IS BUILT LIKE A TANK i LOVE MY ride BY ONE YOU WILL SEE...

Favorite Trail:   G-SPOT

Purchased At:   HandS BIKES

Similar Products Used:   MOUNTAIN CYCLE SAN andreas i LOVED THIS BIKE TILL THE RACK I HAD IT ON CAME APART ON THE FREEWAY BY BY san andreas..

Bike Setup:   avalanche FRT. AND REAR SUSPENSION THE BEST OUT HOPE MONO 6 TI BRAKES CRUSHER WHEELS MAXXIS TIRES EASTON BARS STEM SEATPOST CARBON RACEFACE CRANKS XT DRIVETRAIN

Submitted by Colin Darling a Downhiller from Ashland OR

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2006

Strengths:    Frame is really really stiff and a lot of fun to ride, the bottom bracket it a bit higher then my bullit but easy to get used too. Handles really well when jumping and it is surprisingly easy to flcik around.

Weaknesses:    The only problem is that the frame mounted fork stop even if you take it of still wont clear my 66 crown, so i had to take the file and grind it down a little but it was an easy fix

Bottom Line:
it is a great bike for downhilling and freeriding. mountain cycle is a great company to deal with. I love this bike it feels indestructable

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   mountain cycle shockwave 9.5, santa cruz bullit, giant team dh

Bike Setup:   Mountain cycle sin, 66, juicy 7's,dee traks saint cranks mrp

Submitted by Kyle a Downhiller from CA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2005

Strengths:    -plush in the back
-durable
-Good dh, fr, or xc frame, whatever you need it to do it will do

Weaknesses:    Kinda expensive, except for how much I got if for.

Bottom Line:
It's a good frame, but unless you can get it for sale, its kinda expensive. I would recomend just going with another frame that you could get for cheaper. Overall, if you have a lot of money, its a good frame that can do anything pretty much

Favorite Trail:   Pacifica

Similar Products Used:   Sttinky Dee, mountain cycle fury

Bike Setup:   sin, 04 boxxer team, hayes hfx-9's

Submitted by hadar oren a Weekend Warrior from israel

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2005

Strengths:    light and stiff monocoque frame, grate design, beautiful black anodize painting, so i say this is a sexy frame!!!

Weaknesses:    non (and that i say after a year of riding...)

Bottom Line:
when i got into the freeride scene i had the kona coiler and i wanted a frame that will give me more:
more rear travel, more plush suspention, and a uniqe frame
i got it all from the Sin - and more...
high BB
grate angle for freeride (not so much for downhill)
easy to pedal
very easy to steer
the best rear suspention ever - the single pivot

the marzocchi super t is the best fork to go with the sin frame

at first the frame feels like it's too small or too high but when u ride it where it belong to be ridden (freeride trales) it all fit like a glove.

i enjoy evry ride.....

Favorite Trail:   Bar-Giyora, shoe'va and more

Purchased At:   VERTIGO bikes, israel

Similar Products Used:   kona coiler

Bike Setup:   marzocchi supet T 04', fox vanilla rc, hayes mag-dh brakes, bombshell rims, shimano saint crancks...

Submitted by Jeremy Wishart a Downhiller from Snowshoe, West Virginia

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2005

Strengths:    Simple single pivot design is relatively maintenance free. Very stiff, cannot detect any flex out of the bike when riding. Geometry is spot on, exactly what I was looking for in a freeride bike, a middle ground between pure dh race geometry and trailbike. Frame weight alone feels very light compared to other bikes I was contemplating. Ano Pewter color offering looks amazing in person!!! This frame shines of beauty, in both construction and simple understated appearance. Finally, Mountain Cycle customer service is amazing.....answered every single question I had both via email and phone usually in the same day!

Weaknesses:    None yet and not expecting any!

Bottom Line:
I have been on a search for the perfect freeride bike for over a year now, riding everything from multi-pivot designs to every single pivot I could get my hands on. The single pivot appealed to me, as the day-to-day durability and ease of maintenance is a huge plus as I use daily in my duties at Snowshoe Mtn Resort, West Virginia. I wanted a bike that wasn't as burly as my dh race rig (weight, size, etc), yet had more travel and could handle every situation in which my trailbike was lacking. It's my job to be on my bike 90% of the day, so I couldn't take the chance of getting a multi pivot or VPP design bike that required daily/weekly maintenace to keep it performing day in, day out.

Overall, the Mountain Cycle Sin has met every single requirement I had set for my new rig for 2005. The build quality is amazing, as is the customer service at Mtn Cycle (Clay, Eric, Twisted...). I've only been able to ride the bike for a short time and it's currently built with a mix of new parts and some parts robbed from my other steeds, but already I feel 100% confident in this frame. I can honestly say that as an expert dh racer/rider and a near 15 year veteran of this sport that it won't be the Sin frame holding back my riding. There is no doubt that the Sin can handle every single jump, drop, huck, shore stunt, urban session, and whatever else I can find to punish it with. The drops and semi-dh runs I have done to date on it have left me very pleased in suspension performance and the overall ability of the bike.

Bottom line, if your looking for a high quality alternative to the norm...(ie, bullit)...or if your not to keen on the multi pivot or VPP designs out there, definitely give the Sin a look. The price is right and you'll be on a unique bike that likely nobody else on the mtn will be on, but everyone will be intrigued by and asking tons of questions about!

Similar Products Used:   Kona stinky (dee lux/primo), Specialized Big Hit, SC Bullit, SC VPfree, Ellsworth Joker, Yeti ASX, the list goes on and on...

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi 66rc 170mm, Manitou Swinger 4 way, Hayes hfx 9's, Sun/Ringle singletrack wheelset, Profile cranks

Submitted by Josh Moore a Downhiller from Grand Junction CO

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2004

Strengths:    Climbs well. very tight setup. 7+ inches of travel creates the perferct all around freeride machine. can't complain. i can still pedal this rig up hill.

Weaknesses:    Standover hight is a little tall for my massive hight of 5.8. cock pit is short but gives you the ablitiy to toss it around a little. ride is to steep unless you put a 24 on the rear. this give the sin the right amount of slack up front.

Bottom Line:
a fun all around ride. a downhill ride you can get up the hill with. make sure you put the 24 on the rear until mountain cycle comes out with a new adapter for rear shock mount. i have heard it is on the way. rides nice with the 24 though. very stiff and worth the money.

Bike Setup:   super t, 5th element

Submitted by ryanc44 a Downhiller from Los Angeles, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2004

Strengths:    Strong, monocoque design, excellent welds, American made, cool looking, great value for the money.

Weaknesses:    Cockpit is a little small, feels a little tall overall

Bottom Line:
Price paid was for a complete bike. I took the Sin up for a weekend of riding at Mammoth and it performed excellent. The bulk and size of the frame gives the confidence that you can charge down anything without worry. I have a triple ring front setup so you can actually climb with the bike- but at 45 lbs. that's not it's forte- it's strengths lie in DH and jumping. The cockpit area even on the large is a bit small (I'm 5'11"/180 lbs.)- I personally would've liked an inch or so more top tube. It also feels a little tall, but I think that comes with the territory on 7"+ travel bikes nowadays... This is a great frame for someone that wants a full-tilt DH/Freeride setup, but still wants to retain some climbing and rideability on other terrain. Plus it's a really cool looking bike- Mountain Cycle IMHO has always had unique designs and you either love 'em or hate 'em- I personally love 'em.

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   This is my first DH/Freeride bike coming from an '97 Trek Y-5 XC bike.

Bike Setup:   Fox Vanilla RC rear shock, DNM USD 180 forks, Kore stem/bars/post, Truvativ cranks/bottom end, Hayes HFX-9 HD brakes, Shimano Deore XT components, Mavic 321 style rims, Maxxis tires

Pedales: ¿con grapas ó sin ellas?

Tiene rato que sigo a este cuate, James Wilson, y me parecen interesantes algunas ideas que tiene y que se contraponen al pensamiento de la escuela tradicional del MTB. De entrada, considera que los ciclistas nos enfocamos demasiado a la condición cardiovascular y dejamos de lado la fuerza muscular, ... Read More »

El Guapo sin agua

no bottle bosses on downtube! oh noes. i'm serious though, i have camelbaks but don't like using them for water! anyone drilled some in? or recommend some strap-ons? thought this was a desert bike. currently hot as hell in the UK :)Read More »

Did I just commit a sin...

...by putting gears on a surly? [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8nVhj.jpg?1[/IMG] :nono::nono::nono: ran out of spacers for my 9spd hub :-( had to use the next best thing. I am looking for spacers send me a p.m. if you want to get rid of them. thanks.Read More »

I have committed a cardinal sin :(

I forgot to post pics of my bike when I bought it 7 weeks ago :eek: So....here it is :D :thumbsup: I also forgot to take the wheel reflectors off :eek: It's a 2011 Trek/Gary Fisher Cobia....but then ....you probably knew that already :)Read More »

MC sin eye to eys shock questions.....

So my girlfriend is gonna be riding her Sin this year as a AM light DH rig. I have no shock for it and don't remember what size shock was on it. I have both the relaxed cleat and regular cleat to use also. And yes i know that this frame isn't intended as a DH rig but she only weighs like 100lbs soak ... Read More »