Mountain Cycle Battery Freeride Full Suspension

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

The Battery is designed for slopestyle competition, dirt jumping and park riding. With its low standover and tight geometry, it is both responsive and designed for big air. Availability of this model will be Spring 2007.

Submitted by Dbell259 a Downhiller from Vacaville and Azusa, CA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2012

Strengths:    This frame is BULLETPROOF. I love it! It is a shorty so it is very responsive coming into corners and throughout corners! Everything about it is clean and beefy. It is very wideset and looks great... Also it was cheap! You can not beat this price for a downhill/freeride frame!

Weaknesses:    A little on the heavy side but what do you expect for a bulletproof frame? It only comes in one size which is a "shorty" so it feels a little small at times with me being 6'1" but this is only on uphills, on the downhill I love the smallness. Also getting cranks for it was a b**** because the swingarm is so wide but you just need a bottom bracket with a bigger chainline.

Bottom Line:
Overall I love the frame! I would buy it again if I could. There isnt much I don't like about it but there is tons I LOVE about it!

Favorite Trail:   Northstar at Tahoe

Purchased At:   ebay!

Submitted by Borrie a Downhiller from South-Africa

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2010

Strengths:    It is very strong engineered ,robust,and perfect for freeriding and light downhill!!!

Weaknesses:    Crank setup is an bugger!!!

Bottom Line:
Asome bike buy it for all round except xc and uphill!

Favorite Trail:   mtn bike park

Purchased At:   0

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose fireball ,scott voltage yz 1

Bike Setup:   Funn f2 terrains with goodridge braided hoses,race face diabolus crankset,mavic deemaxs wheelset,marz 66 sl1 ata 1.5" 180mm fork,race face diabolus stem,bars and seatpost,marz roco air r piggy back rear shock 5" ,e13 ss chainguide lmt ed + supercharger bashring,maxxis high roller 2,3 tyres,shimano saint groupset,chris king sotte voce no threadset 1.5" headset,funn skinny seat and combat grips.kcnc seat clamp.

Submitted by Drew a Weekend Warrior from Northern Ireland

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2010

Strengths:    This is a strong as it looks. The build quality is excellent. Its built to last for sure. Its also a very simple single pivot design with ease of maintenance in mind. I have a set of 180mm Domains upfront to slacken the head angle a little as I use it for freeride and downhill, as well as general trial blasting - it pedals very well, except on the very steep stuff. I bought this frame with the offer of free MRP Camber cranks and chain guide which are a perfect fit - also very light and strong.

The ride is sweet - very chuckable, turns instantly and feels very stable. I can jump on it with confidence. I've had to add a softer spring to the domains as I'm fairly light - the default spring felt harsh. The supplied Marz Roco rear shock is excellent. The rear end feels very plush.

I've ridden it on the Rostrevor Champs downhill course, as well as some normal xc trails - its very competent at both situations.

Weaknesses:    It is a little on short size - apparently because it was designed with slope style/DJ in mind. I'm only 5'10" and I've had swap my stem for a longer one. I've also added a lay-back seat post. The headtube angle might be a little steep for some tastes, but adding 180mm forks has slackened it to around 66.5/67 degrees (I've no way to accurately measure that, I'm using info I found on the interweb)

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent bike. As someone said it you are an XC whippet, who likes uphill challenges, then don't buy it. My build is around 37lbs. If you want an all round bike for downhill, freeride, trail blasting, etc, I can recommend this frame. Get it before the end of September 2010 and get Camber cranks and chain guide free... you can't beat that!

Favorite Trail:   Don't have one...

Purchased At:   Mountain Cycle websi

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stab

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox Domain 180mm, MRP Camber cranks and chain guide. Sram X7 rear, Clarks S2 brakes, Funn Grippa stem. DMR backline wheels.

Submitted by pbarnden a Downhiller from Leicester, UK

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2010

Strengths:    Background
First off, I started looking around for a new frame when I found cracks in the swingarm of my elderly SC Bullit. Much as I loved the bike I was thinking about something burly, versatile and simple. Looking around I spotted the MC Battery and It just looked right straight away. I was a little worried that it would be too short for me (I’m 6ft tall) but it looked so good in every respect that I decided to give it a go.

Build
Most of the parts came over form the Bullit including the 2009 Marzocchi 66RCV forks. These’re a little longer than MC recommend but I hadn’t had them long and I thought they might take the edge off the steep head angle and give the bike a more “do-it-all” persona. Otherwise I went for a Thomson Lay back post to give me the option of a longer cockpit for seated riding and an e.thirteen LS1 chain guide (no ISCG tabs but BB mount works fine). The only real problem was fitting the cranks. The swingarm is super-wide, strong and gives loads of mud-room but really limits your choice of cranks. After trying to get my old Race Face cranks on I bit the bullet and ordered a set of the suggested (by Mountain Cycle) MRP Camber cranks. I have to say that these are great cranks (so far) and did just bolt straight on (as MC said they would), they’re also very light for a crank of this type.

Ride
Build over with it was time to take it out, first ride out was great until oil started pouring out of the Rocco shock. After a week’s wait for a replacement I was ready to go again!

First ride out was a blast around the Peak District (not this bike’s natural habitat) but nevertheless it blasted down the rough, rocky trails and the suppleness of the suspension was a major surprise. Despite my reservations about the shortness of the bike it didn’t flinch when shown some really steep, rocky trails (not strictly legal ones off the side of Hollins Cross) and it manualled better than any other full suspension bike I’d ridden.

Since then though this bike has been raced downhill, been to Chicksands, Woburn, Aston Hill, Cannock Chase (Stile Cop and Monkey Trail) as well as local woods, DJ trails and freeride. I have to say it’s been pretty much perfect. It’s been so good in fact that I’ve barely ridden my hardtail over the last few months preferring to do everything on the Battery. The bike really excels in bike parks (like Chicky and Woburn). It’s superb and just seems to carry more speed over jumps than other bikes. In fact this has led to a few scary moments following riders into sections with a big gap between you and then finding yourself some way off the ground and almost directly above the rider in front!

Mountain Cycle market this as a slopestyle bike and I can see what they’re getting at but I would describe it as a fantastic heavy duty play bike. I raced downhill on it one weekend and then rode the 15-20 mile Monkey trail on it the next without changing a thing! In the air it’s very chuckable and on the ground it feels planted but changes direction effortlessly. Despite having less travel than my old bike I’ve not really missed it and the bike seems to deal with drops and hard landings as well as my old 170mm bike.

Weaknesses:    On the downside, it isn’t light (but then neither am I) and the short length makes long seated climbs difficult. Also, the short wheelbase has worked against it on very steep DH tracks (like the bottom of 4-2-3 at Aston) meaning that the bike is that much closer to it’s balance point due to it’s shorter wheelbase. This can be counteracted by getting further over the back than you might ordinarily do but I did notice that I could feel the extra strain in my shoulders after a few runs. Having said this I had no trouble keeping up with my mates on proper DH bikes and noticably gained on them in the twisty stuff. It has to be said that this bike is not the best climber and although this has improved as I’ve tinkered with the shock settings I may try a Fox shock as an alternative at some future point.

Bottom Line:
In all then, I love this bike. It does lots of things (the fun things if you ask me) very well indeed. You only have to look at the frame to be reassured that this thing is built to last. I particularly like the way the pivot bearing assembly has been put together. If you want to ride a strong, single pivot bike on everything from downhills, bike parks, dirt jumps, mountain trails or just blasting round the woods then this is great. If you want an all day XC trail or race bike then look elsewhere – but you knew that didn’t you.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to name

Similar Products Used:   SC Bullit (owned), Orange Alpine (demo)

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi 66RCV (09), MRP Cambers, other Shimano go bits combined with Avid stop bits.

Submitted by thekiltedskier a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Scotland

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2009

Strengths:    Tons of standover, chuckable, burly play bike.

Weaknesses:    No cable stop for front mech. Wide swingarm doesn't work with all cranks.

Bottom Line:
How long have we waited for the rebirth of MC and the Battery to arrive?! Well it's well and truly here.

Designed as a secific slopestyle bike I am in no way it's target audience - I like my wheels on the deck! UK prices are very good - £745 black anodised with RS Monarch, £825 orange with Marz Roco Air R.

I love this bike already, low standover (14.5" seat tube), short top tube and short stays - loves to pop wheelies and front comes up and off drops really well. You won't believe how burly this wee beast is until you see it in the flesh! Am currently converting to a dual ring up front using a Problem Solvers backstop (cable stop) on the seat tube - not too many chairlifts here! It's a great fun bike and actually rides up hill really well. There is ZERO flex.
Wide swingarm is causing some crank clearance issues but MC have a list of what works and are adding to that all the time. Check BEFORE you buy crankset.

Fun, Fun, Fun!

Favorite Trail:   Laggan Wolftrax old red

Purchased At:   Mountain Cycle Europ

Similar Products Used:   San Andreas DNA, Cove Stiffee

Bike Setup:   Magura Thor 140mm, Hope pro2's with DT Swiss EX5.1, Saint brakes, 8 speed XT.

Submitted by Hamish Anderson a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2008

Strengths:    Super tough frame, great geometry, goes exactly where you want it to!

Weaknesses:    Heel clearance was an issue but I've got big feet.

Bottom Line:
I got to try the Battery at the '07 Sea Otter and loved it straight away. It's great to have a full sus bike that's got a tight back end and allows you to ride it like a hardtail straight away.

I'm a big guy (and pretty clumsy) yet the Battery had no problems with frame flex, bottoming out or any of the normal issues I run into on a new bike. The suspension certainly wasn't plush but does exactly what you need it to do and sucked up hard landings with no problems at all.

If I'd ridden this before I got my Foes 4X I'd have hung on for the Battery. Having seen what this bike is capable of (under better riders than me) I'd have no problems recommending this to anyone looking for a park / street / dirt / trail / just plain fun bike.

I'm really looking forward to the Battery going on sale. I can't wait to get my hands on one!

Favorite Trail:   Soquel Demo forest