Marin Rock Springs Freeride Full Suspension

4.08/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by devbrix a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2009

Strengths:    Great bike, fantastic riding position and dynamics. Bought a 2007 model. Its a cracking bike with good components throughtout, on the whole - but see below. Taken a serious amount of weight off changing the WTB tyres and saddle which are awful. It now is a relatively light bike that can cope with a lot at speed down hill where it excells.

Weaknesses:    The hanger is cack and have broken two (one 20 yrds into the first ride) the second after the bike fell over onto the hanger and it just snapped off - tough or what!? Now carry a spare with me if I'm going far and have purchased a better quality hanger than the usual alloy piece of ..... that you usually get.

Bottom Line:
This is a quality bike. Needs some weight shedding from shop set up but does the business up and down hill. You could pay twice as much for half the bike.

Bike Setup:   Standard but now with Conti Mountain King Supersonics and Fizik Gobin saddle. No need to touch the rest of the set up yet

Submitted by Wrighty43 a Cross Country Rider from Sheffield, S. Yorkshire, UK

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2009

Strengths:    Very good spec for the money, AM set up,

Weaknesses:    None so far..

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike for the money... Buy one

Favorite Trail:   Wharncliffe (You know what i mean)

Similar Products Used:   Specialized pitch pro, Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   As standard

Submitted by Reek a Weekend Warrior from Sac

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2008

Strengths:    light weight, suspension

Weaknesses:    light weight, rear derailler hanger

Bottom Line:
Nice light XC/trail oriented frame. Use it that way. Have it with a DHX 5.0 air. Makes the rear travel nicely adjustable. worth the weight penalty. I've got the whole bike in 5.5 travel mode. Climbs like a goat, and I'm no climber. Plush travel without feeling like you're bogged down. Definitely worth the $650 I spent.

Favorite Trail:   Clementine

Purchased At:   bikeconnection

Similar Products Used:   ETSX, ID5, AC1

Bike Setup:   PIKE, XTR cranks, Hayes

Submitted by james a Downhiller from colorado springs

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2007

Strengths:    wonderful linkage, incredible tracking, and a decent gathering of componnents. recently upgraded to gen-x scram. Love it

Weaknesses:    th erear derailer dropout is th eweakest piece of @#$% I`ve seen!!! Just destroyed my fourth derailer hanger in two years. Had to replace the entire swing arm because the attachment area is abought .025 inches thick.

Bottom Line:
Marin has a wonderful product. But need to pay special attention to the small stuff, some times the most important!

Favorite Trail:   barr trail

Similar Products Used:   Kona Dawg, Santa cruz Bullet, Jamis Dakkar

Submitted by No Guru a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2006

Strengths:    Plush, plush,plush, did I say plush. Goes up good, comes down great and goes around superbly.

Weaknesses:    Front Disk is a pain to align, every time the front wheel is removed the calipers need adjusting. The stock wheels don't feel too strong, knocked the rear out of true on my first ride. Suspect that they needed to be rebuilt by a human rather than a machine.

Bottom Line:
Not sure what the rest of the world gets but the NZ spec is different to above....Fox Vanilla R 130mm fork (mmmm), Hayes hfx-9 hydro brakes. The brakes are a bit on/off at low speed but once you get moving they are the mutts nuts, great power, great feel. Also not sure why this bke is in the Freeride category....this aint no freeride bike...it is more of a long travel trailbike, it climbs great with minimal bobbing. Of course it doesn't climb as well as my Unit but then it weighs another 10lbs, but considering it's weight it climbs great (don't be a baby, just pedal harder). It is excellent on tight twisty single track, but where it really shines is when you get to the top of the hill and point it downwards, with 6" at the rear and the Fox fork it really soaks up anything on the trail and it rails the corners. Took a while to get used to the more upright position but I love it now.
Rode it in a race at a local forest (Whitford). There was lots of twisty technical singletrack with gravel road sections in between. Most of the singletrack was downhill with the road being mostly uphill. I was in it to complete not compete. On the uphills I was overtaken by the hardtail, lycra xc brigade but when I got to the top and hit the downhill technical singletrack they were all caught and passed easily (some were walking!! - why ride to the top of a hill and walk back down? might as well stay at home). Plus I had way more fun passing them on the downhill than they had passing me on the ups. My point: this bike won't win a xc race but if you are middle of the pack you will have much more fun than on a rigid race machine.
So far nothing has broken that shouldn't have, it is a great bike.....well made, rear swingarm is solid as a rock, no side play, nice oversized handlebars, great suspension...buy it!!

Favorite Trail:   Grim Raker

Purchased At:   Bike Barn

Similar Products Used:   First full suspension, last bike was (and still is) Kona Unit SS, before that a Giant Axis 890 hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for wheels, Sun SOS rims with Shimano 525 Hubs.

Submitted by Matty a Cross Country Rider from City of Salt

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2006

Strengths:    Frame

Weaknesses:    Brakes

Bottom Line:
Love this bike except for brakes. Replace the Hayes MX1 brakes as soon as you get the bike. These are the lamest brakes I have ever encountered. Knew these brakes weren't the best when I purchased bike, but if I knew how lame they were would have purchased a different bike. Went through pads at least once a month. Replaced with Avid Juicy 7, life is good. Bike climbs great, suspension lock outs are easy to use on fly, great on descent (with right brakes).

Favorite Trail:   where you aren't

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Chris Jones a Weekend Warrior from Sheffield UK

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2005

Strengths:    Forks

Weaknesses:    Headset, rims/hubs, Brakes, skewers

Bottom Line:
I must have ridden this bike less than 200 miles and loads of parts have needed replacing. The wheels and hubs were shat from day one. The tyres were terrible. The brakes never stop rubbing on the front causing a horrible ching noise. The riding position suits riding uphill constantly, it handles like a pig on technical stuff. So far it's cost me half the price of the bike again in around six months light use. My car costs less to run.

Favorite Trail:   Peak District

Purchased At:   JE James

Bike Setup:   Chris King Headset, bontrager race lite front wheel and hub, XT Chainset, rear deore cassette, XT chain, Singletrack rim on rear XT hub.

Submitted by Tommy a Downhiller from shelburne vermont america

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2005

Strengths:    This bike has a nice frame set up but all the parts suck, i have to replace almost everything on this bike except the frame and fork.

Weaknesses:    I broken tons or derailers, the rear shock blows out to easy. everything breaks. I have had ton of people try it they all hated it. I dont ride cross country but even on a 4 ft drop everything falls apart

Bottom Line:
DO NOT BUY THIS BIKE

Purchased At:   alpine shop

Submitted by Chris a Downhiller from Sheffield

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2005

Strengths:    Brakes, Fork, Rear Shock

Weaknesses:    None as of yet

Bottom Line:
I have just bought the 2005 model today and I had a grin ear to ear riding down my usual trail. So far I love it!! Perfect cross-over for freeride without a chairlift and the possibility of broken legs :)

Watch out for bent frames though, I didnt see any at the shop I bought it from but a previous shop had tried to sell me two bent ones with considerable dints in the downtube. Who's problem with I have no idea but just check when you buy.

Favorite Trail:   Peak District

Purchased At:   JE James

Similar Products Used:   Dawed Edge FS comp, Kona Scrap, Specialized P2, Rockhopper, Kona Dawg

Bike Setup:   Standard

Submitted by HARDMAN a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2005

Strengths:    Very strong frame, front fork is plush, and it has a lockout. Rear shock has 4-6" of propedal power. Very nice disc brakes problem free.

Weaknesses:    Everything works great so far. I have taken it on some brutal trails, and still in one piece. Eventually replace 5d crank, but not until I cant pedal it anymore.

Bottom Line:
This Marin aims to please everyone. It's not to heavy, and in 4" or 5" mode climbs great. Going downhill is where it shines. Very plush and bombproof. I just got back from MOAB, and this bike did everything great. No problems. Oh yeah the price was unbeatable at 1000.00 brand new.

Favorite Trail:   Sovereign singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro, which is a good bike also. but not as good as this one.

Bike Setup:   stock so far.

Submitted by Dave Pettitt a Cross Country Rider from Sussex, England

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2004

Strengths:    This is a UK spec bike. Very few complaints so far (see weaknesses). The Marzocchi MX Pro forks have bedded in very nicely and although I haven't tested them with an O ring I reckon I'm using nearly all of the available travel. The ETA function is great for hills. Have to remember to unlock it though when you hit the downs! The Magura Julie brakes stop very effectively, and I haven't suffered from any of the squeal others have reported. Haven't taken advantage of any of the other travel settings other than 5" yet but I'm sure I will. The bike is way lighter than my old Saracen hard tail and great over bumpy stuff.

Weaknesses:    Took it in for the free service and the headset bearings were all rusted. I don't use a pressure washer so was a little miffed.
The WTB clipless pedals weren't for me. I'm pretty new to this game so I had a lot of comical falls, come to a halt can't get feet out and topple over that kind of thing. So I've switched the for a pair of Shimano's with flat one side, SPD the other. Now I'm safer! They grip the cleats much better as well!

Bottom Line:
Seems like a great deal for a full sus bike. Forks and brakes are very competent and I feel very secure on the downhills.

Purchased At:   Wild Side, Tunbridge Wells

Similar Products Used:   Did plenty of research but didn't try any others. Took a mate's Attack Trail out and was sold. Only I didn't have the £2,300 to hand so I settled for the Rock Springs.

Bike Setup:   Stock, apart from pedals.

Submitted by David Purvis a Cross Country Rider from Newcastle, England

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2004

Strengths:    This whole bike is a strength! I literally have no complaints about it whatsoever, other than a back wheel which came "out of true" very quickly (this was probably my doing however, rather than a design/build fault). ***I would like to point out that I appear to have the UK Spec bike, as mine has Marzocchi MX Pro forks and Magura Julie disc brakes as standard. Both are superb***

Weaknesses:    None. Slight one I know, but the allen bolt holding the seat in place often worked itself loose. As my dad has access to engineering spares this was easily remedies with a new bolt though. Again this may have been an isolated problem, as I know other people with Marin TARA bikes and they have no problem.

Bottom Line:
I use the bike for commuting each day as well as on weekend "come what may" rides and it handles both fantastically well. Any worries about paying £1300 for this bike are now forgotten.

Favorite Trail:   Lake District

Purchased At:   Keswick Mountain Bikes, England

Similar Products Used:   I tested the Specialized Enduro and Trek Liquid 25 when I bought my Marin. All were fantastic bikes, but I personally found the Marin to be the most comfortable to ride (Reach/riding position just seemed to be "right").

Bike Setup:   For commuting I set the bike to 4" rear travel and lock out the fork. Generally for XC rides I set the bike to the 5" setting and find this to be suitable for all of my needs. 6" travel is only used very rarely when I know I will be going through a rock garden or very steep/technical downhill.

Fuji Tahoe 29 1.1 vs Marin Rock Springs 29er Elite

Hello I am looking at the purchase of my first mountain bike (have not ridden much since the BMX days). Will primarily be riding it around the town with the wife, but will be doing some trails sometimes (all trails are mostly flat, not very technical, this is Houston). I am between the Fuji Tahoe ... Read More »

XC/all mountain trails around rock springs

I'm looking for a place to stop on the way home april 29 from Moab to teton valley-preferably about half way. I was looking to be able to truck-camp near trails and then finish the drive home. Rock springs fits in pretty good distance wise, but I've never ridden there. I found a couple trails around ... Read More »

GPX of BCT from Rock Springs to Bumble Bee ?

I'm Googlin' and Googlin' and all I come up with is old posts and websites with dead links. :madman: Does anyone have (or know of a good link to ) a GPX file of the norhtern section of BCT from Rock Springs to Bumble Bee ? Thanks !Read More »

Black Canyon Trail from Rock Springs Conditions

Rode BC trail Sunday morning going south. Trail is in great condition. River is almost up to my knees on that crossing.... Some dude was sleeping by the river at about 6AM when I crossed... woke poor guy up when I yelled holy F ! slipping on that mud... Poor guy.. sorry about that...Read More »

Hidden Springs to Stack Rock???

Every time I get to the top of Red Tail I find myself wanting to keep going all the way up to stack rock. I've heard there's a way, but that it may cross some private land. Anyone know the route? or any route? I see on maps there's a jeep trail that you can pick up close to Cartwright, but I see ... Read More »