Marin Quake 7.2 Freeride Full Suspension

• Rims: WTB SpeedDisc XL, 32 Hole Disc
  • Crankset: TruVativ Hussefelt 2.2RGDH

Submitted by ericblanc a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    Where to begin?
For a DH/FR (or DH) bike it flies in the city to begin to...it s unbreakable and inspires full confidence when your litterally going down the stairs (lots of them) or jumping on the benches etc, etc and all the usual staff you do in the city including the fact that you can now simply pass over the usual obstacles that you have to compensate or turn around with a HT bike...
From the singletracks to the gnarilest wet rooted or rocky (or as usual a bit of both) roads it s just amazing how well the quad link suspension works allowing you to brake even on the roughest terrain (even wet), I m giving most of my flamin chills to the fact that very rapidly you are one withe the bike and it s jus that everyday you discover new qualites of an olfd friend.I LOVE the longer wheelbase , it suits perfectlly my riding, hayes nine have so far (in 3 years ) have demanded one good bleeding by a mech. in a shop and of course quite a bit of pairs of pads but thats normal..brakes are very strong(not the strongest) but it s amazing how reliable they are, never had to even think really bout the brakes except for pads and this one bleeding in 3 years, the Fox DHX COIL has a replaced new titanium spring which improves a bit an overall fantastic and reliable shockwith rebound, propedal and other tuning options, I v never felt that I ve bottomed and I m round 95kgs it s very progressive and absorbs as well the small rapid bumps as well as the big hits...the fork Marzocchi 66 RCV 180mm is a killer.The sinergy of these three main features on a fantatic frame with a fantastic suspension system results in an almost perfect bike for me.I v changed the wheels for Mavic and all mech is SRAM X-0 with shifters X-9.
Of course I ve got a HT (Marin Indian fire trail) but this QUAD XLT will remain with for a longtime.

Bottom Line:
FANTASTIC -FORGIVING-CONFORTABLE -RELIABLE-ORIGINAL

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Authorized dealer

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky, Spec Big Hit, Norco Stryke...

Bike Setup:   all mech SRAM X-0, shifters X-9, Mavic Wheels DT Sweiss spokes

Submitted by gambino369 a Downhiller from croatia

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2010

Strengths:    it DOMINATES

Weaknesses:    n/a so far

Bottom Line:
The size and construction gives the feeling of control and domination on the terrain+manoeuvrability s good

Favorite Trail:   down-fast

Purchased At:   authorized dealer

Similar Products Used:   stinky

Bike Setup:   standard-dhx 5,0-hayes-wtb 2.5-sram x7

Submitted by Ming the Merciless a Weekend Warrior from Town of the Old People, Sussex, England

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2010

Strengths:    Unbreakable, flies well and confidence inspiring, It's just relentless downhill and for a lardy bike (43lb) it climbs surprisingly well.

Weaknesses:    Stock headset not very well sealed and rear axle/hub weak and prone to failing. Rear shock tricky to adjust.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike; so fast downhill, it eggs you on to go faster and is very stable at speed and in the air. It will climb, its hard work but boy does it dig in and grip (it surprises some of my more XC mates). Some of the cheaper bits don't last but that just means shiny new bits can be fitted.

Favorite Trail:   Sidewinder, Afan

Purchased At:   secondhand minter

Bike Setup:   As standard but with 180mm Bombers fitted, maxle rear end upgrade (a must), Crank Bros Sage wheelset and DHX air 5.0 rear shock.

Submitted by quakexlt7.4 a Downhiller from kettering, uk

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2009

Strengths:    beefy stiff frame, looks awesome, light i guess for what its intended for, VPP design is the best suspension design i`ve ever ridden, OPF headtube, head angle and bottom bracket height adjustabilitie

Weaknesses:    i`m the first person to crack a marin quake 7.2 frame in the uk, but i`m not suprised as to the riding i do. but a replacement frame has been sent for free along with new bearings. rear shock is bit awkward to get to , but you get used to it and eventually you manage to find away around it.

Bottom Line:
best bike i`ve ever ridden for its dh nature and freeride capabilities. awesome bike go and buy one. lifetime bearing warrenty and 2 year frame warrenty :) marin have done an awesome job of the quake and theres still better models to come :)

Favorite Trail:   fort william

Purchased At:   from a mate

Bike Setup:   sunline bars, saint groupset, red hope pro 2 ( F & R ) sapim black bladed spokes, dt swiss 6.1 rims, fox dhx rc4 and wc 40rc2, continental der kaiser 2.5, goodridge hoses, crank bro 5050XX, sunline bars and intergrated stem

Submitted by Jimby a Downhiller from Dorchester, Dorset, England

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    Super smooth suspension design, confidence inspiring ride, just a fantastic bike in general.

Weaknesses:    none that i've found yet...

Bottom Line:
Just an awesome FR bike, so much fun to ride. I tend to ride quite a variety of terrian, and the Quake handles it all nicely. Very capable, very smooth, totally solid. :)

Favorite Trail:   Puddletown Forest

Purchased At:   From a mate

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Freeride - Marzocchi 66's, Spank Subrosa wheelset, SRAM gearing, Hayes HFX 9's. Thats the bulk of it.

Submitted by John a Downhiller from california

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2008

Strengths:    This is the do-it-all-bike, racing, freeriding, and yes climbs great for a heaver bike.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock is a little hard to get to

Bottom Line:
Get this bike! if you like to climb to your ride, its done, if you like to nail tight single track its done. bottom line, its the bike for you.

Favorite Trail:   horse canyon

Purchased At:   marin

Similar Products Used:   norco aline, rmx,rm7

Bike Setup:   syncros wheels and parts

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Boise, Id.

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2008

Strengths:    Great handling, Great components, Great price.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awsome. I will go anywere with it. It bombs with the best of them and still climbs, how I don't know but it does. Feels great in the air, on the nar nar, and the tight single track.

Favorite Trail:   5-mile creek

Purchased At:   Bicycle Mania

Similar Products Used:   X7, Norco teamDH, Bullit, VP-free, session77, botle rocket, stab, judge

Bike Setup:   stock except mtx rims

Submitted by gremlyn from Zagreb, Croatia, Europe

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2007

Strengths:    Virtual pivot point suspension that works perfectly when adjusted corretly, beefy but not heavy frame, optional maxle 150x12 rear dropouts, OnePointFive headtube

Weaknesses:    Initial adjustment of rear shock is pain in the ass, frame lacks ISCG/ISCG05 mounts

Bottom Line:
Basically, I knew that I'm buying a great bike because of all the flying colors reviews, but even with that in mind it suprised me when I've tried it for the first time. It rode great. Adjusting the shock can be pain in the ass, but when dialed in correctly it works just like it should: bike is easy to pedal, it soaks up the big hits without the bottoming, and it works great on the smaller stuff. OnePointFive headtube gives a plenty of choice when it comes to picking up the right fork for it, and I would recommend something with 180mm of travel if you plan to use it for FR or DH. Headtube angle is slacker that way, and bike it self act more predictably on agressive DH runs. Chainstays are on the longer side so you need to put some muscle in wheelies and manuals, but overall geometry is great for trail riding... for anything from normal AM up to more intense DH runs. Also, I would recommend optional maxle 150x12 (or some custom made bolt on) dropouts and a new rear hub... because the stock one for '07 Quake 7.2 is piece of crap (Shimano M475). With those changes the rear end of bike is lot more stiffer making it act more predictibly.

Real bottom line: Quake has it's (minor) weaknesses and annoying bugs like any other bike out there, but overall result is still a really impressive ride. Even my friends whith great bikes (Spec Big Hits and Demos, Kona Coilers and Stinkys, Haro Magnums etc) agree on that.

Purchased At:   Lopuh-Alfa (www.lopuh-alfa.hr)

Similar Products Used:   Kona Dawg, Kona Dawg Supreme (140/130mm travel)

Bike Setup:   Quake 7.2 L size, Marzocchi 66RC2X (180mm), Fox DHX 5.0, Syncros wheelset and components, Truvativ Holzfeller OCT cranks, CrankBros 5050XX pedals, SRAM drivetrain, Hayes Mag brakes

Submitted by Lance Pilbrow a Downhiller from NZ

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2007

Strengths:    Super supple rear travel, best for someone who wants 1 bike to do a bit of everything on, but leaning towards doing the odd DH race and wants something semi competitive. Love the long'ish wheel base, good rear shock, good pedalling ability,

Weaknesses:    Rear shock hard to get too, but to be honest I've only had to adjust it twice since owning, the DHX 5 is awesome, so once I got it right, i've never had to touch it, and I guess it's position keeps the crud off it. I also changed the bars to a Funn bar, a bit wider, the grips to Funn lockons, and the pedals to Funn soljam vipers, but these are just all personal touches. Also the stock tyres WTB motoraptors 2.4 are a little overkill for my riding area and have a LOT of rolling resistance, though, they are awesome on DH when things get a bit wet and rooty etc.

Bottom Line:
Love it! am actually going to get a 2008 one as soon as I can get my hands on one as they have fixed the only few gripes I had with this one, ie, I would have liked a bit more front travel, next years has 20mm more, I hate hayes brakes, next years has codes, also relatively budget rear hub, next years has hopes pro2 with a 12mm maxle, brilliant! Anyway, I do a handful of DH races each year at expert level, and everytime I do a I am amazed at how well the suspension soaks up some seriously rough terrain. Also it's quite long (compared to Kona's I have also owned) which makes it really stable at higher speed. And I can still ride it to the top if I have too thanks to the full length seatpost. This is a brilliant bike if you can get one you won't be dissapointed.

Favorite Trail:   Hot X buns

Purchased At:   BikeBarn

Similar Products Used:   Kona stinky DL, Coilair,

Bike Setup:   bout 100 in the boost valve, oh, and the stock spring was too hard for me, I'm 75kg and am running a 350lb spring and its pretty spot on, would maybe even go for a 325 if I could get one, as the design ramps up at the end of the stroke, you don't need to worry about bottoming out too much.

Submitted by Pedal Shop a Weekend Warrior from Ashburn

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2007

Strengths:    Frame is very efficient (aka well designed). I was really impressed with the way it handles every different type of riding.

Weaknesses:    Would rather have a rear through axle. Rear shock settings are difficult to get to. I hired my 5 year olds to do the work.

Bottom Line:
First off all... why the heck are there only two posts on this bike? mine being the 2nd. This bike is way better than the shortness of reviews would leave you to believe. I actually didn't buy this bike last year because I simply didn't like the way it looked. I thought it looked too funky that it could be a nice riding bike. However, one of the guys who works part time for me had a chance to ride one in CO and he really liked it. I consider an expert level rider so if he likes it, it's gotta be good.
I was due for a new frame, I was getting bored of the same ol' four bar linkers (like the Kona Coiler series // great bike but my 4th style like that in a row). Let me say, I have demo'd serveral different frames through the years, some had way more travel than I would ever really need. As a shop owner, I can't really risk getting hurt so, I take it sorta easy. This Marin rides really really well. I can't believe how well it climbs too. I often ride the same trail so I know very well my limitations at certain sections. Every single other frame I have used, I can climb different climbs with different results: some are harder than others. With the Marin, I have cleared each semi difficult climb with ease. The only thing setting me back, just like any other FR, is the weight (my is 41lbs). The really difficult climbs are still difficult but with the Marin, I was able to get to the top without being poop'd, ready to fall over. AS for the down hill... weeeeeee, that frame is super flickable. It feels buttery smooth through the rock gardens (and I'm rolling some nasty stuff). The really high speed stuff I haven't had a chance to hit yet. I gotta travel for that but, the few times I hit some higher speeds in the local area, it felt very stable. There was never a time I felt sckecht'd out. The Totem helps of coures. The slow hucky stuff, the bike is flowing really well. That's where I think the frame design is best suited. It's so nice... Drops big and small do have have that "endless" feel. I don't know if I have bottom'd out yet. If I did, I didn't feel it. Time after time, I'm comparing it with other frames I have had. This one offers fantastic bang for the buck. The only thing I would change (which they are) is offer a through axle for the rear wheel. Diggin' the 1.5 head tube: that's BEEFY!!! when is Chris King going to make a 1.5!?!?!?

Favorite Trail:   Wet, like your_ _ _ _ _

Purchased At:   direct through Marin

Similar Products Used:   I haven't ever used anything quite like the Marin. I have usually used frames that designed more like the Kona Coiler (my last frame). Also used: Banshee Chaparrel, Transition Dirt Bag, Mountain Cycle SIN & Fury, K2 Lithium, Iron Horse HollowPoint, Santa Cruz SuperLight, Ellsworth Truth... and more.

Bike Setup:   Totem Coil, Syncros 1.5 headset, FSA/Gravity stem and carb0on bars, Avid Code (8"/7"), SRAM X7 shifters, XTR front D, Sram X.9 (short) rear D, 26/36 Saint cranks w/ Race Face BB with E-13 bashring and dualy chain guide, Time Z pedals, Thomson post, Hope clamp, WTB Pure V saddle, A-Class Kaprun wheels, WTM Timberwolf K front tire (2.7), Maxxis 3D 2.5 rear tire, ODI Rouge lock on grips.

Submitted by Bubba a Weekend Warrior from Edmonchuck Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2007

Strengths:    Quad link suspension Jon Whyte is the man great parts kit 1.5 steerer respect

Weaknesses:    hard to hike a bike nowhere to put your hand stock grips not to my taste and the crankbrothers pedals are poser crap the shock adjustments are hard to get at but not really an issue

Bottom Line:
I know this bike won the world masters dh last season but it really is a freeride bike easy to sprint and throw around wheelies like a urban park bike holds speed over rough like crazy it pedals like a bike with half the travel but has a bottomless feel to the suspension with the seat up it will climb anything just not in a hurry if you want to DH race wait for the next marin team dh if you want a freeride bike for parks and tech trails this is your baby I could get all technical about the quad link but just leave it at this this bike knows what its doing get one before they sell out

Favorite Trail:   J line

Similar Products Used:   norco vps bikes santa cruz bullet balfa bb7 rocky rm9 and switch foes fly intense uzi blah blah blah

Bike Setup:   stock except grips and pedals switched the 24 granny for a 22
and the 50/50s for dx, crap wtb grips for oury going to try the new schwalbe freeride tire when the stock tires shred off

18 to 9 speed quake 7.2?

Hi can any of you clever bods tell me how to change my 18speed marin quake 7.2 to a 9 speed with slalom chain device such as BLACKSPIRE NSX C4 CHAIN DEVICE 4 BOLT WHITE 32-36t or MRP System 3 Slalom chain device. As i just do not use the lower gears and wish to reduce chain slap more. I am currently ... Read More »

Marin quake 7.2

As a satisfied owner of a slightly upgraded quake 7.2 which I use (built up some muscles lol) 4 all purposes FR/DH/Bike parks even AM and XC and even in the city just to fool around or to go to visit a friend ...just wondered are there any more owners of that bike and what s your opinion bout that b ... Read More »

Building Marin Quake 7.2

Need suggestion on components...... This is what im leanin towards so far Totem solo air fork Transition revoluton wheelset chris king headset Funn full throttle seat Race face next sl seatpost Easton DH composite bars Azonic shoty dluxe headset ODI rogue grips Crank brothers 50 XX ped ... Read More »

Fork suggestions for Marin QUake 7.2

Whats up, i need suggestions on a long travel fork for my quake. Been lookin a a few but not quite sure which way to go. I primarily do freeride but occasionally climb.Read More »

Quake 7.2 custom build :)

Well, it's not yet finished, but the build is going the right way. :) I've changed the brakes (from HFX9 to Mags), cassette (from PG950 11-34 to LX 11-32), rear der. (from X-7 long cage to SX4 mid cage), and the fork. New fork it self is a monster - '07 marz 66RC2x with 180mm of travel [U]and[/U] ... Read More »