Marin Mount Vision Freeride Full Suspension

4.85/5 (13 Reviews)

Submitted by shufel a Weekend Warrior from Israel

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Strengths:    very fast bikes , accelerate very fast and climbs like a goat :) but very stable at the same moment . great magura brakes.
with certain upgrades can be used as AM bike and not just as CC.

Weaknesses:    stock components are 80% not so high-end components and need to be replaced (here the upgrade fun begins :)

Bottom Line:
great bike . as my first full suspension bike i can't wish for more. very pleased with. riding for a next time i'll buy a bike it will be Santa-cruz or Titus. was disappointed with few low level components but already upgraded them ....

Favorite Trail:   Gvaram\Beeri singles

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   my first full suspension bike but tried Focus Superbud

Bike Setup:   FoX Talas 140, FD- Shimano SLX, Fizik gobi saddle,truvative hussefelt handlebar, sun headset, syncros\hope\da bomb wheelset, magura brakes

Submitted by Joshua Clarno a Cross Country Rider from Roseburg,OR,USA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2008

Strengths:    The bike looks great with all hydroformed multi butted tubes. Good standover. Great climber, hands down the best all around full suspension bike I have ever owned. Plush and active under power, yet the thing moves out with every push at the pedals. It soaks up bumps and smooths out the trail yet is fresh and crispy when trying to acelerate and pick up speed. Very good handling, easy to manuver and whip around obsticles at high speeds. Great traction, especially when in the small and middle rings. The thing literally feels like it digs into the earth as you climb. Very versitile, I can take this bike to the rocky trails with unpredictable and rough terrain and it holds a good line. I have taken it on very smooth XC trails that require lots of legs and lungs and the bike hangs well with the hardtail boys. It even jumps well, in fact it preloads so well that when the trail gets swoopy and their are minor obsticles like logs and rocks it is so easy to just push down on my feet and handle bars and use the spring back to get air born and clear what ever is in the way. If you scoot to the rear of the seat when climbing the bike feels about five pounds lighter and seems to pick its way up steep and semi rough terrain. Scoot to the front of the saddle and you have all the traction you need to climb dry and loose soil.
Standing while climbing is great to, very plush yet efficient. No severe brake jacking either if you apply the brakes while moving real fast (25-30mph) you can feel it rise slightly in the back, but if you put your weight back a little the bike remains supple and easy to handle. I love this bike.

Weaknesses:    Chain line. The linkage is just wide enough that they had to double space the drive side of the XT cranks. This created a chain line that I didnt like. But the suspension works so well no joke, that I purchased a 12-34 cassette and that gives me a better gear set to keep my chain nice and strait while still being able to climb the super steep stuff. As a personal preference the seat angle is 72 degrees which is kind of slack for my taste, but like I said I love this bike and I have acomidated. I am actually a very picky rider, and the guys at the bike shop can back me up on that, but I have yet to find something wrong with this bike that makes me want to sell it. But one thing that is a true weakness is the derailer hanger, very weak and tends to bend very easy if it takes a hit.

Bottom Line:
This bike comes at the end of a long list of bikes. I have spent the last five years trying to find "the one". I have always thought my bike should climb great and downhill better.
The 2007 marin is not perfect, but I have finally found a bike that does everything right. The harder you push this bike the better it responds, climb hard it gets more efficiant. Blast through rocky rooty sections and hit gains momentum. Get in great shape and this bike seems to get faster with you. It is unique and versitile, fast and fun to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Deerleap/Dread and Terror

Purchased At:   Fundamental Bikes Roseburg

Similar Products Used:   Specalized epic, KHS Softail, Giant VT, Giant Trance 2005,Giant Trance 2006, Titus Racer X, Salsa moto rapido,BMC fourstroke.

Bike Setup:   Titec hell raiser bars,thompson stem and seatpost, Juicy Seven brakes, Fox talas rlc fork, Shimano XT 775 wheels,Continental Mountain king tires ust, XT cranks, time Atac pedals, whipperman chain, Sram XO from head to toe,WTB rocket saddle.

Submitted by Pavel a Weekend Warrior from Cupertino, CA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2007

Strengths:    Light, great climber. Rear suspension works great on both uphill and downhill, perfectly tracks terrain. Almost no rear bob when sitting and climbing. Great component set (XT, Hayes hydraulics).

Weaknesses:    None so far, it's all my own personal limitations...

Bottom Line:
I rode hardtails before, mostly cross country, never done much jumping or crazy downhill and when I was looking for a new bike, I never thought about full suss because I considered them to be too expensive, too heavy or just "too much of a bike for the type of riding I do".

Then a friend at least convinced me to test ride one and I rented Marin Mount Vision from LBS. And I was totally sold - I took it on my usual weekend ride and it was like night and day - I could climb much easier, was going downhill with much more confidence, faster - just awesome.
So I returned my rental and started looking for the exact same bike - instead of paying $3,000 at LBS I found an almost brand new one on eBay for half of that.

I have been riding the bike for almost a year now and never regretted - it climbs great, both because it is light (mine is approx. 27 lbs) and tracks terrain very well and because you don't lose energy through rear bob. Downhill great as well, the suspension works perfect and rocks and roots don't kick your butt out of the saddle.

I have no complaints about the component set either. I have not played with tuning the suspension yet. Maybe that will make it even better?

I still think that I would not have paid $3,000 for it (even knowing how great it is) because I don't ride enough to justify the expense (I am rock/alpine climbing most weekends and MTB is great training for me) but for the $1,500 I paid it is a great value. If you ride enough though, even at the list price this may be good value.

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga Gap

Purchased At:   new on eBay

Similar Products Used:   none, rode hardtails before

Bike Setup:   stock, except I added Eggbeaters and bar ends

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2006

Strengths:    Great ride overall. Coming from a hardtail with a generation one Rock Shock fork it is like night and day. Climbing, relatively light, looks good, don't see many others on trail.

Weaknesses:    Water bottle mounts are in poor locations due to frame design. Top mount puts your manhood at risk and bottom mount covers bottle in mud or dirt. CamelBack is a must.

Bottom Line:
I really love this bike. At 5'10" I felt I was on the smaller side of the 17.5" frame but once I cut down the bars and shortened the stem it feels perfect. Since I got a great deal I made the purchase without actually riding the bike first and I have not had any complaints.

I do think this bike should be in the XC full suspention section of this site though due to the fact it has 4" of travel and is light, rather than the free ride.

Favorite Trail:   Surveyors Ridge

Purchased At:   Seven Corners Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kikapu, Santa Cruz Blur, Giant Trance

Bike Setup:   Stock except for cut down the very wide bars by 1" on each side and shortened stem from 120mm to 90mm.

Submitted by Marcus Marchegger a Racer from Truckee

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2005

Strengths:    Plush, yet fast on the climbs

Weaknesses:    Water Bottle Cage Mount in strange place

Bottom Line:
So, I finally got to go out on a ride. I had the bike all set up according to the manual. Factory settings and seat heights/bar heights- shock pressures for my weight. Took the bike out yesterday and found a little technical climb and did it over and over again with my tool kit out. Made several adjustments, then finally took it down one long piece of single track. Wow- totally blown away. At first, I was going so fast and not realizing how smooth the ride was until I came into corners soooo hot that I was going off the trail. Scary at some points but the bike ate up whatever was in front of me, from large bushes to big rocks so I never wiped out. Then I changed my form a little and was able to keep it hooked up in the corners. I went back up the hill, made some final adjustments on the seat- climbing was phenomenal- so fast. Then I did the downhill again. This time I was on fire like never before- airing into technical spots that I used to have to take it easy on- and actually pedaling through them! It was insane. I HAVE experienced “ new equipment technological breakthroughs” on bikes and snowboards, but NEVER anything like this… I am really floored, and actually still don’t really believe how great that bike hooked up, climbed and ate up anything put in front of it. It seems like a dream. I hope to get out again today. I Can't wait to race this baby next season. Thanks again Marin hooking me up.

Favorite Trail:   Mr. Toads Wild Ride

Purchased At:   Bay Area

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Pro series. Santa Cruz Blur

Submitted by Sid Bolmey from Spring, TX

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2005

Strengths:    Great ride very plush. coming from a hardtail bike this thing is fast and smooth. XT mech front & rear gives precise shifting. Fox shocks front and rear are easy to adjust & work great on this bike. Hayes Hydrolic brakes stop on a dime. Basically I love it

Weaknesses:    The only thing I did not like was the WIDE bars there some 27 inn\ches wide. I had them cut down to 25 inches.

Bottom Line:
an awsome bike that does everything I could want out of a bike. if you are looking at a full suspension bike take a look at the Marins. the whole line of the quad-link bikes use the same frame. and it is tough. A great bike.

Favorite Trail:   cypresswood

Purchased At:   Sun & Ski

Similar Products Used:   Came from a 10 yr old hardtail. tried Specialized, Trek Gary fisher.

Bike Setup:   all stock except PD 540 pedals

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent climber, no bob in the rear, easy to lockout on the fly, but I rarely need it except in technical super steep sections. Tracks very well. Blasts downhill.

Weaknesses:    The lack of bob in the rear also translates to a relatively harsh ride on small bumps. Had more flat tires than usual, could be the "super thin" tubes. There was a problem with the WTB hub/freewheel--as it broke mid ride and pedaling wouldn't engage the rear wheel. Replaced by them with what purports to be an improved design. No problems yet.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic bike. Better value than the Blur, and it's something a bit different, as it seems all of Marin County and SF have hopped on that bandwagon.

Favorite Trail:   Tamarancho

Similar Products Used:   Klein Palomino XX, Santa Cruz Blur

Bike Setup:   Stock with Shimano 747 pedals and shortened handlebars--they come very wide.

Submitted by Lance Taylor a Cross Country Rider from St. Joseph, Missouri

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2004

Strengths:    Intelligent Pivot, weight, components

Weaknesses:    None (yet)

Bottom Line:
Marin really hit the nail on the head with the Quad Link suspension. I've owned quite a few bikes (see list above) and have been in search of the perfect all-around bike for aggressive trailriding/XC racing/endurance racing and never quite found it untill I purchased the Mount Vision.

The suspension system works just as advertised. The rear end/wheelbase extends over objects not just an up & down movement. This equates to a very plush but very efficient ride. In comparision with the Specialized Epic Brain deign I'd say the Marin is almost as efficient but a better climber on rough terrain as the rear wheel tracks the ground better. The construction of the Marin frame is far better than the Specialized which uses too many moving parts and a weak derailler hanger mount. I never lock-out the rear shock even when riding pavement. When descending I feel like I'm on a rail and in complete control and have yet to bottom out the rear shock.

I'd highly recommend this bike for everything from aggressive trailriding to XC racing.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado

Similar Products Used:   '03 Specialized S-Works Epic, '03 Epic Comp, '04 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, '03 Santa Cruz Superlight, '01 Marin Mount Vision, '00 Marin Mount Vision Pro (just to name a few)

Bike Setup:   CrossMax XL wheels and mostly stock but getting ready to upgrade the bars to carbon Monkey Lites, seatpost to EC70 carbon, changing brakes to XT/XTR hydros.

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Strengths:    Weight, stiffness

Weaknesses:    Cleaning mud out of all the little creaveses in the linkage

Bottom Line:
First off, with the exception of the headset, pedals, seat post this bike is loaded. Full on XT, even the cassette and front derailer. Also on my first ride I snapped the spring in the freehub (the one that engages the pauls and lost all ability to pedal). WTB were great about sending me a new one, and it works fine. No problems as of yet. The bike is amazing. I really like the fully active suspension, it is great through rock gardens. Both climbing and flat ones. And like everyone elses here it decends great for me too. I coulden't be happer. there is defantly some bob on out of the saddle sprinting, or climbing. But if you stay seated the suspension melts away. This bike is my replacement for my hardtail that got stolen, and it has made the hurt go away. I recomend this bike for anyone who is willing to take a step away from the large companies and get a huge bang for their buck. It's light, stiff, and works great!

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Rouge grips, King headset, M959 pedals, Thompson seat post.

Submitted by Tim Jones a Cross Country Rider from St Albans, Herts UK

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2004

Strengths:    Light and stiff. Very capable all day XC ride, with impressive climbing ability.

Weaknesses:    Hard to carry comfortably. Tyres a bit lean. Cost(?)

Bottom Line:
First full sus steed purchased following twelve years on Marin hard tails. I ventured into the realm of sprung rides with trepidation and reserve as i like the 'point and shoot' ride and simplicity of my previous steel marins.

The Mount Vision banished my fears of any sluggishness or sloppiness in the ride. The front and rear shocks worked very subtle magic, and i soon forgot i was even on a bouncer. The bike is eager and responsive on tight and technical singletrack, with no noticed bobbing under power.

Even on the road, the rear shock behaves quietly, only getting locked-out for longer tarmac tours. I have never felt the need to lock the Fox RLC up front.

The Mount Vision descends smoothly and with reassuring stability, but it truly excels at climbing.
Long, shallow ascents and short, steep climbs become easier and enjoyable, with the rear wheel really digging in to the dirt with relish and propelling you skyward.

This bike has altered my expectations and limits of what I can do whilst riding.

The Hope mono stoppers do the job very efficiently and are easy to service and look trick. WTB Rocket saddle should be made compulsory on every bike made, it's really that comfy.

Yes, the handlebars are w-i-d-e, but they give me a lot of control to the front end. I have changed the mythos tyres for biggers treads, as i found that with the extra confidence in many situations the MV gave me, i was pushing
the IRC's to (and past) their limits.

The XT kit works smoothly with no fuss. Wheels are light but seem tough, with a couple of crashed jumps leaving them untouched.

The Fox 100 RLC forks are superb. Smooth and torsionally rigid, they go where pointed and throw up no suprises. They seem to perform well on whatever surface i care to ride.

In conclusion the Mount Vision is an extremely capable and rewarding XC bike for someone who wants one, all-round ride. The kit is faultless and contributes immensely to the quality and enjoyment of the package.

The best two grand i've spent!

Favorite Trail:   Forest of Dean

Purchased At:   Leisure Wheels, St Albans

Similar Products Used:   None at this price point

Bike Setup:   UK Stock; Mini Monos, XT SPDs etc, IRC Mythos replaced with Panaracer FireXCPro's

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Templeton, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2004

Strengths:    Great Full Suspension Ride. The first I have truly enjoyed riding!

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet, although I have only been out 6 or 7 times since I picked it up 3 weeks ago.

Bottom Line:
During the Spring, Summer and Fall months in New England, I ride at least 2-3 times a week on technical single track. My buying decision came down between the Marin Mount Vision and the Specialized Stumpjumper Pro. I opted for the Marin for the component package, price and quite frankly it's unique looks, although I'm sure I would have enjoyed the Specialized too.

Having ridden hardtails for the past 15 years, I had a very hard time warming up to full suspension rides, however after demo-ing a few and getting used to their characteristics, I must admit, they are a joy to ride, especially the Quad Suspension!

I have now been out on the Mount Vision 6 or 7 times for 2-3 hour rides and have found the bike to perform great on technical uphills and downhills alike! I'm still tweaking the suspension settings and I'm amazed at how well both the Fox front and rear suspensions perform - Little to no pedal bob! The bike is very light for a full suspension and the Hayes hydraulic brakes are terrific (easy to please me though coming from Avid V-brakes)!

I find the Easton EA70 handlebars to be a bit too long - I left half the skin on my "pinky" knuckle on an oak tree on my last ride - made the hill though ;), however I'm sure I will adapt after a few more rides, if not I will trim the ends. I also agree with some of the other comments I have read concerning the WTB pedals being difficult to get in and especially out of. I'll give them a few more rides to break-in before I make a decision to replace them.

Other than that, this bike was worth every penny... Great Shimano/Hayes/WTB components (verdict still out on the pedals), great frame design and finish and a pure blast on the trail!

Favorite Trail:   Leominster State Forest

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Similar Products Used:   Demo-ed Specialized Epic & Stumpjumper, Kona Dog Deluxe.
Have ridden a Trek 7000 hard-tail for past 7 years and a Raliegh totally rigid bike for 8 years prior to that.

Bike Setup:   Original setup.

Submitted by Peter Ball a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2004

Strengths:    Supple suspension, climbing traction, brakes, saddle,

Weaknesses:    XT bottom bracket, WTB hubs, grips, cannot use all the rear suspension travel, drink bottle placement.

Bottom Line:
After finding I was getting seriously beaten up on my hard tail in endurance events, decided it was time to look at a full suspension bike. Researching on the net, mag reviews and a buddy that owns a 5-6 year old Mt Vision with nothing but praise for it lead me to believe the 2004 Mt Vision was the bike for me. I like a bit of XC racing and endurance riding, but am not into serious down-hilling, jumping or freeriding. This bike seens perfect for me.

Made the decision I'd change out the shifters and rear derailleur to SRAM as I'd seen high praise for the X.9 shifters and X.0 derailleur. The reviews were right. The shifting is very precise. It stays adjusted and doesn't take constant tinkering. I can occasionally overshift if I'm tiring and not paying attention.

The Hayes HFX Mag brakes are great if a little heavy. Very good power and modulation. They require a little Loctite to prevent the lever reach adjustment from moving.

Seated climbing doesn't require the use of the lockouts at either end. Even out of the saddle climbing can be done efficiently with care. But full on attacks will have the front end bobbing. The forks need locking out before the Fox ProPedal rear shock. Only if you have the need for brutal efficiency do you need to lock the rear.

I'm very impressed with how well the suspension, front and rear, work to keep the bumps and jarring away the rider. BUT, inspite of setting up the static sag at the rear by the book, I have never been able to use the full amount of travel in the rear suspension. I feel the suspension ramps up a little much in the last part of the travel.

This bike climbs technical sections better than any other bike I've ridden. One particular section I've ridden probably 20 times before and only ever 'cleaned' once. On the Mt Vison, I cleaned it on the first attempt. The rear end just hooks up and gets the power to the ground.

The tires I feel work well. Wide spaced, soft compound knobs seem to work on rocks, hardpack and slippery surfaces. I really like the feel and feedback using the Stan's NoTubes system. Plus the much increased resistance to flat tires.

I wasn't keen on the standard grips on the bike. They were a little coarse on my hands and were replaced with some Specialised that are much kinder. Personal preference.

Really like the Rocket saddle. I've tried 8 saddles, over the last 12 months, and this is the one I like the best.

Have done now about 1000 miles on the bike. A lot of that distance road training. Even on the road, this bike fells well nice compared to my hardtail.

But during the bike's first XC race, (severe condions) the left hand XT BB bearing packed up. It's been replaced with an XTR under warranty.

Have also had problems with the four bearings in the WTB rear hub. It would appear it may have been an assembly fault as the bearings looked to have been crushed. A spacer kit has been fitted now to prevent the problem from recurring. Contamination had got in past the seals though. Will see how it holds up.

If you are looking for a full suspension bike that will see you right for epic rides plus some cross country racing, if you like climbing more than full-on down-hilling, this bike needs to be on your shortlist. I've had some problems so can't give it top rating, but I still love the bike.

Purchased At:   BikeStop

Similar Products Used:   Have only ridden hard tails previously.

Bike Setup:   20 mm. cut off the ends of the bars. Specialised grips, Nokon Tracpeal cables, SRAM X.0 rear derailleur, X.9 shifters, Stan's Notubes, SRAM hollow pin chain, Crankbrothers Eggbeater pedals, Onza bar-ends

Submitted by Dave Jones a Cross Country Rider from Lancashire, UK

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight, responsive, comfortable.

Weaknesses:    O/E bars too wide, O/E tyres.

Bottom Line:
Rode my new Mount vision for first time yesterday. My first ride of any full susser. In a word, AWESOME!
If you're still having your backside kicked out of the saddle on an aluminium hardtail, you dont know what you are missing.
The bike is as light as my hardtail, corners better, climbs better (more traction) and is much more comfortable.
I've shortened the O/E bars by 1 inch each side as 27 inches is far too wide for me, but my next upgrade will be flat bars and bar ends, as I love to climb.
The bike can still "bob" a little, on out of the saddle tarmac climbs, but all thats needed is a flick of the lockout on front and rear suspension and "bobbing" is a thing of the past.
Save up and buy one ... now!

Favorite Trail:   Clwyd range, Wales

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Altrincham Bike Shak.

Similar Products Used:   Orange P7 rigid, Orange Evo2 hardtail.

Bike Setup:   Marin spec. apart from Continental Vertical pro tyres, ODI lock on grips, UK spec is Hope mono mini disc brakes.

Marin's website updated: New 650B Attack Trail and Mount Vision, among others

[url=http://www.marinbikes.com/us/bikes/mountain-bikes]Bikes | Mountain Bikes | Marin Bikes[/url] Anyone else thinks it's confusing that Marin is billing the Mount Vision as an enduro bike while the burlier Attack Trail is the 'trail' bike? I mean, yes, the lines between categories are getting th ... Read More »

misaligned swing arm on marin mount vision 2012

Hi all, I noticed a few days ago that the rear wheel on my mount vision (2012) has a noticeable offset to the right side (about 1/4 inch). The wheel is a few months old, so I checked for dishing, but dish is O.K. I can only assume that the issue is in the swing arm or pivots. Is this so ... Read More »

2007 Marin Mount Vision - Amazing

This is the newest ride. I already love the suspension design. I feel far more confident while riding it and it looks superb! I plan on doing some upgrading over time. For now, everything works great. [ATTACH=CONFIG]798692[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]798693[/ATTACH]Read More »

Checking out a 2007 Marin Mount Vision. Looking for input

I don't need the bike, but I want it. Another bike for my quiver. The quad-link suspension really interests me because I do mostly xc riding but I love a little bit of technical downhills from time to time. My Hardtail Stumpy is a bit rough on me. He is asking $800 and its pretty much stock with ... Read More »

2014 Mount Vision and Attack Trail 27.5/650b bikes

Both feature carbon frames. @140mm travel, Mount Vision designed for faster xc, trail and enduro racing. Sounds tasty. [url]http://reviews.mtbr.com/marin-2014-mount-vision-and-attack-trail-27-5650b-bikes[/url] Old enough to know better and old enough not to care. Best age to be.Read More »