Kona Entourage Deluxe Freeride Full Suspension

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Hey, Mr. VIP! You're absolutely laying waste to technical descents, air-populated bike parks and North Shore steeps. With Kona's all-new Entourage DL, your personal riding scene is surrounded with a gang of greatness. In essence, it's a smaller-travel (170mm) Operator redesigned into a tighter package, with radically shorter stays (415mm) for quick turns, spins and all-around freerading (new word we made up), with a low BB and slack HA for stability. Built with performance durability and worlds of fun and speed in mind, hit everything you would on the big bike, but fall in love with the Entourage's nimbleness and maneuverability. Just ask Kona Team Gravity Rider Graham Aggasiz.

• 170mm RockShox Lyrik RC2 Solo Air fork
  • SRAM X-9 drivetrain
  • Easton Havoc cockpit
  • Mavic EX729 rims

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by dave a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2012

Strengths:    beefy, rides well, short chainstays, corners well, pops like mad

Weaknesses:    interrupted seat tube. tires suck. The 150mm back end and short chainstays are not good for guys with big feet like me. Its not terrible, but I do find myself smacking my feet every so often.

Bottom Line:
    Over all this is a good bike its burley, jumps well, corners well, and generally feels good. Bad part is that it really makes me miss my 2009 Stinky that I had. I rode a factory Entourage DLX and it was good. I hated the wide bars, and the stem was 60mm which was way to long for the Large frame I rode (and later bought). I am 6'4" tall and there it sketched me out being on a bike with a 24.5" top tube with a 60mm stem. The maxxis tires are single ply and are total junk. I could not corner on them to save my life. I was washing out all over the place. Other than that the factory spec is pretty decent and rode quite nice.

As for mine, with the way it is set up its a bit heavy at 37lbs with single ply tires, but that will soon get dropped to the 35lb range with some new parts. The short chainstays really make this thing rail tight corners. And it pops really well off the jumps. On the DH and really fast stuff there was a bit to be desired out of the RC2 in the back. But after being spoiled with X-fusion Vector HLR rear shocks on my last 2 bikes its easy to see why the RC2 falls short. I plan to swap to a Vector Air as soon as I can. Riding some muddy technical and fast DH, the bike feels right at home. Its definitely not an Operator by any stretch, but I was keeping up with guys that had full on DH rigs with out much effort. And while the Totem Solo Air on the front is a great fork, it really made me miss my boxxer on that trail.

With a lighter build, this bike will take to the air like no other. It pops great and is easy to control in the air. In the chatter when on the brakes i did notice the brakes locking up the suspension a bit more than on the stinky's I have had in the past. Not sure if its just psychological, a function of the rear shock somehow or if there is actually something to this, but it seemed to pop out to me. But the cure for it is easy, don't use the brakes. On bigger hits and drops the suspension just soaked it up. I don't think I ever hit bottom, even when coming down from about 10ft up on a bigger booter.

Overall I am happy with the bike. But it still sits in the back of my mind that its about 95% just like my 2009 stinky. Looking back, I shouldn't have sold my 09 Stinky. That frame was probably the most dialed out of all the Stinkies kona made. The Entourage is a fun bike though and with the right build can do many things and do them well. I would say that this bike is 100% designed for a Lyrik or lyrik sized fork, not the totem. The totem is way to much for this bike and it really makes it not handle right and the extra pound over the Lyrik is really noticeable in the front end. But for anything but full on DH racing, its the perfect bike for the freeride trails of the NW.

Favorite Trail:   Black Rock

Purchased At:   Olson's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   about 6 different stinky's, a transition dirt bag and about 20 other freeride and dh bikes

Bike Setup:   Large frame, Totem, hadley wheels, saint cranks SRS+ guide, Spank 45mm stem and other nice stuff. I started with a frame so its not stock at all.

Submitted by Marcel a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2012

Strengths:    Top of the line Lyrik fork, Mavic rims and it looks awsome.

Weaknesses:    RC2 shock instead of RC4 and in this price range I would expect an X0 deraileur instead of X9.
    Should come with a 780mm bar... specially in the large size (my case)

Bottom Line:
    Rode it once at my favourite trail... I swapped the shock to a Vivid Air so I spent most of the time trying to adjust the suspension.
    The bike felt great on the trail... way more stable and smooth than I expected.
    I still have to get used to it´s geometry to say something about jumps... but I felt very confident on the rocks and drops.
    With a couple of up-grades this bike is possibly the best FR and Mini DH bike in the market.

Purchased At:   Local distributor