Kona Coiler Freeride Full Suspension

4.61/5 (174 Reviews)

Submitted by Jerald a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2012

Strengths:    Strong frame, plush rear suspension, Climbs great, decends even better, weight (my own build), sexy, comfortable geometry, brings out confidence.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the frame and built it up as my All-mountain rig. My own came in weighing at 33lb. Compared to my 4inch travel santacruz superlight, it doesn pedal as "easily" going up (no worries i have leg power!) , but I have climbed much steeper and more technicle inclines on my Kona than my santacruz due to the more higher BB height. Decends are point a shoot, brings out alot of confidence, takes whatever drops you throw at it, and i can pick really fun and technicles lines compared to my XC set-up. For what i built it for, it is amazing! Its not the easiest pedaling going up, or the fastest on flats, but you can have ALOT of fun on this bike and build up your skill! So if you want something that can do it all, but not the BEST at it all, try the Coiler! FYI JUMPS are Amazing on this bike!

Favorite Trail:   Dreamy draw mountain & National trail Arizona

Similar Products Used:   2011 Fuji outland 29er,1997 Specialized Ground control FSR, 2004 Santacruz Superlight

Bike Setup:   2006 Kona coiler supreme frame, Rockshox revelation XX 150mm, Fox Vanilla RC shock, Gravity lite wheels, IRC trail bears, SLX double cranks,blackspire chain tensioner, XT deraileurs, Saint shifters, FSA seatpost, WTB saddle, Turbo platform pedals, Avid Code-R 185 F-R brakes

Submitted by Daemongrad a Weekend Warrior from Brockville, ON. Canada

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2012

Strengths:    Weight, price, rigidity(side to side), plush, can take a beating, easy on the eyes... eats it up and asks for more!!!

Weaknesses:    Originally the weight was a slight factor, but I have since remedied that. Can't get a drop seatpost to fit frame.

Bottom Line:
Aside from the fact that I don't have anything stock left, save for the frame, this is a kickass machine. The frame takes a beating and the air suspension that replaced the original fork and shock seem completely at home within it. The rear suspension doesn't effect the derailleur, or it's cables throughout its travel. All in all, a great frame, and original part spec was decently rideable, though I am giving chilis based on my own build and what I spent on it versus MSRP or RRP. It can and does handle most any but the ultimate extreme shyte that I wont do anyhow,

Favorite Trail:   B & D/ Nortel

Purchased At:   Here and there.

Similar Products Used:   Coil-air, Tanuki, Specialized FSR XC Pro Test Bike.

Bike Setup:   04 Coiler Frame(old stock bought last year), RaceFace Respond DH bar and stem, SLX Shifters and Derailleurs 2 by 9 drivetrain w/ RaceFace Evolve DH Crankset and SLX Cassette, Mavic EX729's on 36 hole XT hubs and DT spokes(Blue on Black), ODI Yeti Lockons, Tektro Draco Hydraulics on AVID G3 rotors, FSA The Pig Pro Headset, Kona/WTB brown pleather seat, RockShox Sektor RL 140 solo air up front, Rockshox Monarch 4.2 200 by 57 Mid Tune, Panaracer Fire FR Front tire, Doughty 2.35 on rear.

Submitted by phclaw a Weekend Warrior from Moraga, CA

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2011

Strengths:    Sturdy and solid while also showing relative nimbleness. This is a 2005-2006 version, and its geometry - 66 head angle/70 seat post angle/23.9 top tube for an 18" frame - is dialed in for all-mountain riding. I'm 6', 33" inseam and this feels better than the typical 19" I'd use (like a blur lt I demoed or the bullit I used to ride). It felt very much at home at Northstar, even with its old age and lack of thru axles and extra gusseting seen on newer frames.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy for the typical trails in the Bay Area, and the stock components aren't that hot. But I can't complain about either - given how cheap this was off craigslist (plus how inexpensive these old coilers/coilairs can be had by anyone looking on ebay or craigslist) and how durable and versatile it is, the components can be changed as needed, and you'll just have to get into better shape to peddle this around the hills.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic value/bang-for-the-buck. The old coilers (or coilairs if you add an air-shock) are tremendous bargains. Being a forty-something year old dad with kids, college and expenses hanging over my head, I'm loathe to spend $2-$3k on a bike, especially one that I may have second thoughts about beating the snot out of at Northstar or similarly rough endeavors. This thing is built burly, but not so much that I can't take it out on a spin at China Camp or Annadel without having a heart attack. And its ok with me armoring up, throwing the full-face helmet on and attacking cinderella or chapparel if I'm in the mood to break an arm and/or leg. I figure I'll ride this until I break it, which will probably be never, and then I may pick up a used nomad, enduro or reign frame and go from there.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere at Northstar

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Rode a hardtail Shred for awhile, which was fun and actually shares a lot of the same traits with these old coiler frames; then a Large Bullit, which was too long for me and I never felt settled in it (plus it was crazy heavy for anything except a bike park); demoed Blur lt2, Stumpjumper and Camber. The Camber was too twitchy, the LT2 and Stumpjumper are incredible, but also felt a little light in the rougher stuff, plus the price tag for those are fairly steep.

Bike Setup:   Stock, with juicy 7 (and now slx) brakes; slx drivetrain; might swap the fork out to a sektor with 20mm thru-axle, since the 150mm Drop-Off that lacks any sort of adjustability leaves a lot to be desired. I run either coil vanilla rc or dhx3 air in back depending on the trail - the pedal bob is frustrating, but I'm too lazy and cheap to get an old rp23. And going down, nothing beats the feel of a coil shock, so that usually just stays on. Maxxis or wtb tires, 2.3 or 2.5s.

Submitted by peterhallwood a Weekend Warrior from Sammamish, WA

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2011

Strengths:    Very user friendly, this bike rocks! I bought this off craigslist, made NO adjustments and dug right in. I'm 6' 200lbs and pound bikes. This bike is bullet proof, I am dropping 6' on down gapping 5' spans and if you know what you're doing this bike is ready and willing. LOVE IT!~ cant wait to upgrade a few components and then the bike will win.

Weaknesses:    NONE!

Bottom Line:
Kona nailed it. The bike says, "Bring it!", and it's all business. Know your ride and this can do it all for you, feather between trees, roll over stumps and roots, dig into berms, launch off of step offs and table tops, roll off the drops, bring it it's got ya!

Favorite Trail:   Duthie Hill (of course)

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Trek's "Y" series

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by rohanday1 a Weekend Warrior from murcia spain

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2010

Strengths:    dhx4 shock v plush , not too heavy for strength of bike , very agile and reliable, very confidence inspiring on the downhills and drops

Weaknesses:    pain in the arse seat clamp , quick release catches on rocker when it bottoms out so i have to stick with an allen key adjuster for now

Bottom Line:
could have done with a medium frame i think now an im only 5.8 , an rear shock bottoms out too easy ,needs a stiffer spring nice all rounder though an very enjoyable on a budget,,oy yeah the seat post size is a pain in the arse to buy no one makes nice ones to fit !!!

Favorite Trail:   llano del beal mines ,

Purchased At:   mundo bici

Similar Products Used:   cannondale super v400 runnin bombers etc , not the same at all realy lol

Bike Setup:   15.5 inch frame ,white hpr1 freeride wheels by woodman with 24 inch rear an a big fat specialised pro tyre, shimano hydraulic discs in white, synchros fr bars n stem , old school tioga saddle just to keep it real, hussfelt cranks an new deore gears(coz i snapped em again oops), oh an sum manitou shermans , there old but still do the job,,

Submitted by GrampBredo a Weekend Warrior from CT, USA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2010

Strengths:    Squishy, comfy ride. Very capable, the handling is stable and confident on sketchy trails. Simple suspension and frame design that is tough to kill and easy to maintain.

Weaknesses:    Heavy as heck, my bike ('06 Garbanzo Coiler) weighs about 42 pounds.

Bottom Line:
It's a good bike for heavy-duty All Mountain and entry-level DH/FR. It's a little bit heavy, but pedals well enough to get you up moderate hills.

Favorite Trail:   Killington, VT

Purchased At:   Killington Rental sh

Similar Products Used:   Old Cannondale "Uber-V," or a Super V with 6" of travel on both ends.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for DT Swiss 340 Rear hub, Chris King headset, all other bearings replaced, brakes rebuilt (HFX 9 XC's), and occasionally singlespeeded with a Yess Tensioner.

Submitted by Jimmythekiwi a Downhiller from Auckland

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2010

Strengths:    Very strong frame. Still taking the abuse after 3 years. Still using the stock brakes.

Weaknesses:    Stock parts, have had to replace almost every component on the bike within the first year. Very basic set-up and could use a piggyback type shock. Saddle is extremely sore after a short period of time.

Bottom Line:
Bulletproof frame,I will break before it does and will hopefully last me ages. Stock components aren't so great and will break as soon as you start using the bike properly. Would recommend changing the dérailleurs and installing a chain guide, getting some stronger rims and hubs, and slowing down the rebound on the forks, to make your time on the trails more relaxing I. E. not worrying about whether your bike will cope with the gnarly drops, and just doing it. The bike is a great trail bike that you can take to downhill events or cruise around in the streets. .

Favorite Trail:   Launch trail

Purchased At:   A bike shop.

Bike Setup:   Upside down triple clamp foes forks. Xtr shifter and derailieur. Shimano cranks. Easton bars and stem. Dt Swiss fr6.1D rims.

Submitted by felix420 a Downhiller from Honolulu, HI

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2009

Strengths:    Very durable. Got stock vanilla r shox w/ 700# spring. Never bottoms out.

Weaknesses:    None so far!

Bottom Line:
I wanted a freeride bike on a budget. Heard a lot of good things about coilers, but the components sucked. I bought the frame w/shox, and customized the bike the way I wanted.
I've been doing urban freeride as well as DH/FR. This bike is very strong. Been doing 4' to 6' drops and doesn't bottom out. Working my way up to a 10' drop. Hopefully it can handle.
I can see myself owning this bike for a long time. So far I haven't had any issues with 6" of travel. When I need more travel, I'll probably upgrade to a stinky.
4 chili's for only having 6" of suspension. The newer coilairs are 7".
If your into freeride, and aren't rich, buy one!

Favorite Trail:   Waahila

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   00' Schwinn 4 Banger

Bike Setup:   06' coiler; stock vanilla r(700#); Domain 302; XT drivetrain; Raceface atlas FR cranks; Raceface evolve dh stem, bars,and seatpost; FSA pig dh pro; Elixir r 203s; Azonic outlaw wheelset; Maxxis swampthing 2.5s.

Submitted by ride.like.u.got.a.pair a Downhiller from San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2009

Strengths:    the Coiler handles very well, extremely agile and the rear suspension is very active.
the frame is burly the rear triangle has very minimal flex.

Weaknesses:    none that I have found yet.
initially I had to modify the bottom shock bolt to enlarge it to a 8mm since it comes stock with a 6mm and I didnt feel that was strong enough. simple enough and not really a weakness, more of a design flaw.

Bottom Line:
ok, I wanted a bike that I could pedal around but still be able to pin on the downhills. this seemed hard to achieve taking into cosideration that I have a bad habbit of beating the crap out of my bikes.
the way I set up the Coiler suspension and the strength of the components I used, proved to be an excellent choice.
bottom line, if you take the time to put a decent front suspension on this bike, the Coiler will be an excellent choice for all levels of riding; beginer to expert.
I have so much fun ridign this bike!!!!
if you do get a Coiler, make sure you put a Marzocchi 55 ATA on it (160mm).

Favorite Trail:   TOP SECRET

Purchased At:   bought frame only

Similar Products Used:   09 Stinky Air, Intense M3, Turner Highline, 05 Specialized Big Hit FSR, and many more

Bike Setup:   I bought the frame and built it up to be able to handle light freeride/dh and more along the lines of aggressive all mountain.
2004 Coiler frame, 2009 Marzocchi 55 ATA w/ TST2, Swinger Air 3X w/ SPV rear shock, Azonic Outlaw wheels, Thomson cockpit with Race Face DH bars, Intense 2.5 tires, Shimano Hollowtech 2 LX cranks (single ring w/ Truvativ Team Boxguide retention system)

Submitted by ajd245246 a Weekend Warrior from Ramsey, NJ

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2009

Strengths:    Tough, durable, if you take care of it, it will take care of you. After owning it for a year I still haven't come across anything I can't hit. Love the rear fox ajustable shock. Hydrolic disk brakes! You will never appreciate them until you have them.

Weaknesses:    I guess if you want to get technical I could call out the front derailler. That was the only thing i had to get fixed at a bike shop all year. Also i would have liked a quick release front hub, it doesn't make sense that they would have it in the back and not the front.

Bottom Line:
I got the bike for a huge discount, it was a 2007 model which I purchased in August of 2008 (used). And I got it for 1200, and i believe the retail price was 1750. Plus the bike was pretty much brand new with no problems, just a stratch here and there but thats normal, THE BOTTOM LINE, I love this bike, you can ride alittle bit of everything from XC to light downhill. I got this as my entry level bike and now theres nothing im afraid to jump or bomb. If you're a beginner or an expierenced biker this will take care of your needs.

Favorite Trail:   Diablo Freeride Park

Purchased At:   2007 Model Purchased

Similar Products Used:   Nothing

Bike Setup:   Completely stock except for DH tubes instead of the ones that come with the bike.

Submitted by zmb a Downhiller from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2009

Strengths:    The frame it's self is very strong...dare I say too strong. I would say that the suspension works very well and can take hits like a champ.

Weaknesses:    The Drop off 4 is a mess as it will reset after taking a decent drop. The wheel set is weak and I had issues with the rear hub after very little riding. The bike is a tank and is not adept at other styles of riding.

Bottom Line:
I have a bit of fun on this bike, but I feel that it has a good deal of shortcomings. They really phoned it in when it came to components. The frame is very sturdy and climbs well for a heavy bike with a coilover. I would think that you could build the bike from the frame up and come out with a thrilling rig, but as it is from the factory I would suggest that you keep on shopping.

Favorite Trail:   Anything at SDF

Purchased At:   Some bike shop in SC

Similar Products Used:   Other Kona Bikes, Marin attack trail.

Bike Setup:   2006 stock

Submitted by konaboy2275 a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    Frame is strong and reasonably light, suspension works well, lots of size choice.

Weaknesses:    Forks, hubs.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike (2007 model), it's a good all rounder that I have used for a week in the Alps (Chatel) doing 60+ miles a day downhill, local DH courses, Fort William - a change of tyres and put the seat up and I can ride up hills in my local woods and do a bit of XC (nearly as fast as my XC Inbred). The only problem I have got is the paint seams to wear / chip easily and the stock forks were a pain to adjust and get right so I swapped them. All the other upgrades have been as bit wore out. Very light too compared to a DH specific bike. I bought the DOPE systme for it too but it doesn't seem to make that much diference and caused the discs to catch a bit so got rid of it.

Favorite Trail:   Pleny at Morzine

Purchased At:   chainreactioncyles.c

Similar Products Used:   Stinky, Scott Nitrous 30, 11 diferent GT's (Karakorams, LTS, Avalanche 1.0), On-one Inbred (x2).

Bike Setup:   Domain 318 forks, hope hubs and mavic rims, xt rear mech lx shifters, Maxxis high rollers, Fsa Gravity bars and stem, occasionally use the DOPE system, Truvativ chain guide.

Submitted by B'ham Biker 0000 a Weekend Warrior from Bellingham, Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Strengths:    great all around bike, strong, fits to you as a biker, very diverse

Weaknesses:    Nothing i can think of. . .

Bottom Line:
awesome bike for a beginer, my first freeride bike, has lasted forever, strong, easy to ride, not much maintenance needed

Favorite Trail:   angry monkey fecal matter

Purchased At:   Skagit Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Kona stinky, trek session 7

Bike Setup:   all original stock components besides new grips, pedals, crank arms, derailleur.

Submitted by Jay a Downhiller from UK Dorset

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2009

Strengths:    Strong frame, will last if properly maintained, easily customisable, reasonable all round parts when bought as standard, as expected from Kona.

Weaknesses:    Definately not an all areas bike, with its rear 5" fox shock that cant handle more than a 4ft drop without bottoming, bike needs serious customisation before handling anything more than your forest cycle ride. Wheels are a little to flimsy when cornering hard and under strain, and fork adjustments seem to lack any relevance.

I ended up selling the frame on after 3 months.

Bottom Line:
Bottom Line is...Good bike if you're looking to ride to work in comfort and great fun if you ride mellow downhill trails with the family, and nothing more than the odd tree root to air over.
Many reviewers love the bike and seem to portray it in an un-faulted light, admitably the frame is extremely well built but the rear shock is hard to upgrade without replacing the existing rear swing arms, and this is most deifinately a neccessary requirement if your a serious rider! If you are looking to incorporate this bike into any kind of DH, just buy its big brother 'Kona Stinky' yet if you keep the riding small, local and controlled you'll be exstatic with the purcahse of your new Kona Coiler, and thats a promise!

Favorite Trail:   Blandford