Knolly Delirium Freeride Full Suspension

Knolly Delirium Entry Kit Complete:The Delirium stands alone as the gold standard to which all other aggressive all mountain and free ride frames are compared. No other product in the market achieves such a perfect balance of full on...

Submitted by chim chestnut a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2017

Strengths:    light for what it is, great suspension, not much pedal bob or brake jack, sweet brakes, fork and shock

Weaknesses:    not much

Bottom Line:
amazing

Favorite Trail:   lawmower rodeo

Duration Product Used:   not long

Purchased At:   usedvictoria.ca

Similar Products Used:   Norco team dh, Norco sasquatch, Brodie miscreant, kona stinky

Bike Setup:   fox float 36 rc2, avid elixirs cr carbon, e thirteen bashguard, sram x9, fox float rp23

Submitted by tbone1000 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2017

Strengths:    Knolly totally dialed in the sweet spot of freeride / DH-capable while leaving poppiness / flickability on the trail. Handles great on trail, berms, and jumps, lets you point/plow or get poppy off roots and rocks so long as you weight the bike up properly.

Weaknesses:    A bit of bob on the climbs without a rear shock climb switch (both CC DBA CS and Fox X2 CS are highly recommended from personal experience). Carries a couple of pounds over mid-travel / enduro bikes on the climbs, but you don't buy this bike because you live to climb. Orange paint (i.e. not the anodized black) susceptible to rocks and chainslap chips - tape and/or lower frame guards are highly recommended.

Bottom Line:
This bike rides like it was built for freeride and recreational DH riding, but it still climbs anywhere you need it to go. Very intuitive bike, will corner, hop, jump, and flick on command with great stability and trail feedback, only shows a bit of skittishness on severe braking bumps. Quite forgiving on botched/cased jumps, rock gardens, and DH drops. Climbs well on normal trail and digs in surprisingly well on steep technical sections.

Purchased At:   United States

Submitted by cellphonenut a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2016

Strengths:    Riders position and leverage while needing to pedal hard, cornering fast, cornering fast on loose uneven terrain, flick ability, Uphill traction and ease, stiffness, build quality, looks by folks whom are hard core mountain bikers. There's more but I'm a terrible typist and would like t get this review posted tis week!!!!!

Weaknesses:    Sometimes the guy that keeps knocking actually is doing a better job tan the corporate giants. Sit down and listen, you'll like what you hear.

Bottom Line:
Talkin about 2016 Delirium I'm so happy my curiosity got the best of me. I saw one on my local trail out here in Las Vegas NV. At 1st I thought Hmmmm maybe some generic brand, whatever. Shame on me !! Few days later I noticed the Knolly Delirium while internet shopping on JensonUSA . Again I say Hmmmm maybe not a generic brand. Why would I entertain looking a new rigs when I just purchased a new 2016 SC 5010. Well because the SC 5010 as well as it rode just wasn't good enough. It wanted to vibrate out from underneath me every time things got rough. And although the uphill performance and cornering ability beat out the Yeti it was at the peril of the way to low BB.That's easy, lets make the BB low so it corners better, easy. Sell em large hire Rat Boy, easy. Don't get me wrong Santa Cruz is a awesome company and bike. Knolly didn't do it like that, they did their homework and then some!! This bike climbs like nothing else I've experienced. Its hard to put my finger on it but once you start to grind the bike just seams to "settle in to your body geometry" if you will. Descents ?? Forget about it. The less you try the better it rides. Oh and lets not forget about cornering, high BB never bottoming yet tracks like on rails. Knolly has conquered this uncanny ability to produce the best handling traits while maintaining the character of a true mountain bike. No other brand has achieved this to date that I know of. After careful analysis of many reviews (thank you MTBR), blogs and Knolly's own site I rolled the dice only to hit double sixes !! Like a earlier reviewer has already quoted," I to will ride this Knolly as long as I can." I can't see how it can get much better. (please make the Delirium in Carbon Noel) :-)

Favorite Trail:   Dead Horse & Boy Scout

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   GF Roscoe, Yeti SB66c, Santa Cruz 5010c 2

Bike Setup:   Jenson build- RS Lyrik, CC DB Air, 2016 XT 1 x 11, RF Turbine 30, XT brakes (2016 incredible !!)

Submitted by Gnarlon Sloap a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2013

Strengths:    Super awesome on anything. I can't beleive how grat this bike is. Manuals easy considering how long it is in the slack setting.

Weaknesses:    Bearings need replacing somewhat often. And that price tag. DAMN.

Bottom Line:
Totally great bike. I've ridden it on supergnar and madflow trails and it slays it all. If you find a used frame for under $1100, GO FOR IT! Super rad.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt Merchant-Samurai Pizza Cat-Afternoon Delight-HOD

Duration Product Used:   1/2 season so far

Purchased At:   bro deal

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign X.

Bike Setup:   RS Lyrik, Fox DHX 4.0, Chromag Fubar OSX, Holzfeller stem, Avid Elixir 5 brakes, Azonic Outlaws laced to Formula hubs, Conti Baron tires, Saint cranks, X5 shifter/X9 mech, E*thirteen LS1+ guide, WTB Devo seat.

Submitted by Jamie Harrison

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2012

Strengths:    The reviews sum up pretty much everything that can be said about this bike. If you love freeriding, jumping, downhill, but also need to include pedaling uphill for health benefits and are in the market for the best overall do it all bike look no further. I take this bike down 800ft then pedal back up 800ft 2 or 3 times a week on my local trails.

Weaknesses:    NOTHING!

Bottom Line:
AWESOME BIKE!

Submitted by bubba13 a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2012

Strengths:    Versatile and has great balance. Frame is laterally stiff (even with a 10mm axle) and pedals amazingly well for a bike with 170mm of travel.

Weaknesses:    Can be difficult to clean all of the nooks around the bottom bracket. Cable routing for a front deraileur could be better.

Bottom Line:
The Knolly Delirium is an excellent frame. It can be built up from an AM machine to DH lite and work extremely well in both uses. The only bike I can really compare it to is the 2011 Trek Scratch that I rode on a demo day. The Trek was a good on rough trail at high speed, but it doesn't come close in any other area compared to the Delirium. I have yet to use this bike to it's full potential and probably never will. For me, this is a heavy duty trail bike that gets plenty of XC mileage mixed in with some days of sane jumps and drops and DH runs.

Purchased At:   Lucky 13 Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Demo ride on a Trek Scratch with a 180 Van RC2.

Bike Setup:   Large frame. Fox Float: Have 160 RLC and 180 RC2. RC4 Shock. Saint, Chris King etc... 1x10 with MRP guide. It all weighs 35 to 37 pounds depending on set up.

Submitted by monstertiki a Weekend Warrior from Corona, Ca

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2011

Strengths:    Versatile, very versatile, stiff frame, plush suspension, can mount a front deraileur, uninterupted seat tube. Easily adjustible shockmount raises bottom bracket and changes headangle. Bike feels very balanced.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little heavy for some, e-type bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome and has definitely elevated my confidence when it comes to jumping taking more aggressive lines.

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth

Similar Products Used:   pitch pro, banshee spitfire

Bike Setup:   float 180 rc2 fit, ccdb, saint, minion exo dhf in front and rear, canecreek angleset -1.5

Submitted by Psycho Mike a Weekend Warrior from Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2011

Strengths:    Doesn't pedal as heavy as it weighs, no flex (and I say this as a solid clyde class rider), does very well going and absolutely slays going down.

Weaknesses:    Weight may be an issue for some (thought the new Delirium is a little lighter).

Bottom Line:
From the 50+ km "shake down" ride to my hitting the local singletrack a lot harder than I used to for hours on end, this bike is proving to me why everyone calls it "the one" bike.

Unless you are racing XC or doing pretty much exclusive DH runs, this bike seems to be able to handle it all fairly well. As a trail bike, sure it may be a tad heavy (but for someone of my size, the added weight is not noticeable)...as an AM bike, it shines and gobbles whatever your legs and brain will allow you to throw at it (or throw yourself off off). For FR and some urban stuff, it does well and for DH, if you're not super big, it'll work until you can get a proper DH rig.

The frame is super stiff and the suspension works extremely well. The result is a frame that inspires confidence in the AM/FR type riding it is intended for. On stuff that my old single-pivot got really sketchy on, this frame has been rock solid.

Favorite Trail:   Ewok Forest

Purchased At:   Private sale (frame

Similar Products Used:   I've owned and tried a number of bikes...some lighter, a few heavier...mostly stuff from Fisher, Trek, Kona and SC.

Bike Setup:   '09 Lg DT, Lyrik u-turn coil front, DHX-A rear (rebuilt by Suspensionwerx), full XT except SLX cranks, 3x10 w/Purely Customs bash...other parts of substance to go with the rest.

Submitted by mortifiedpenguin a Weekend Warrior from SA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2011

Strengths:    strong, inspires confidence, adjustable. climbs and descends better than many bikes built specifically for each respective task.

Weaknesses:    I tire of weight weenies who level undue criticism at this bike. it is one tough AM/FR bike. it is not an XC bike. if you are tough enough to pedal it up hills, it will reward you with excellent efficiency and incredible traction. if you are a 60kg chicken leg then go a single ring and push the thing to the top... Similarly please don't start up about price. ALL boutique bikes cost a fair bit. Usually you get what you pay for. Most certainly in the case of the Knolly DT. Ride it back to back with a stinky and tell me they are in the same league. best mid range bike to compete with it would be a well specced FSR big hit - and even so it will not handle AM duty like the DT.

Bottom Line:
I will ride this until the frame is no longer serviceable. i may own a better DH bike one day. I may own a better XC bike... however.... THIS BIKE OWNS THE AGGRESSIVE ALL-MOUNTAIN SCENE. do the same equations i did: over 30 reviews, average rating is 5/5. There is nothing more to say right? wrong. Repeat for those who need to be told 37 times: If you want a bike that is tough, reliable, confidence inspiring in descents, playful and jumpy, while being stable and ploughish when needed - that can, in addition, pedal like a champ... this is it. please read the other reviews, with the exception of any weight/price comments - I agree 100% Thank you to everyone who helped this bike make production - it has made my riding so much more enjoyable :D

Favorite Trail:   kangarilla/80 acres

Similar Products Used:   its been said before, nothing comes close... a demo or similar has the edge in a descent, a pivot mach 4 should prove easier to pedal up a hill and a 29er will see you pedalling all day and feeling fresher - but none of the afore mentioned can "do it all" in the fashion this bike does.

Bike Setup:   09 Knolly DT large: domain 318 coil, dhx 5 air, 2x9 xt/saint drivetrain, fulrum red zone rims, minion 2.5 DHF F/R super tacky - tubeless. 65.5 degree headangle, 170mm setting at rear, 180mm front, lowest BB setting

Submitted by Luke Fennell a Weekend Warrior from Cranbrook, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2010

Strengths:    Plush, Bottemless Suspension, Corners Amazing, Soaks up jumps and drops amazing

Weaknesses:    Long sustained logging road climbs, a little heavy, price

Bottom Line:
The Seven Summits, Fernie, Nelson (Baldface etc.), Kamloops 3 towers, Harper, Kaslo Suffer Fest, Mtn Seven, North Shore, The Dump Victoria, Mt. Tzouhalem (Duncan), Cumberland, A random DH race in Idaho, Cranbrook Community Forest, Sunpeaks, SilverStar, Kicking Horse, Slayed them all! I was looking for the bike to ride anything and everything in BC, Im pretty sure i found it.
The bike Is better than me and im not sure i will ever push the limits of this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Rio, Kamloops

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Remedy Climbs better but there is no comparison on the way down

Bike Setup:   36 Talas
DHX 5.0 Air
X0 front and rear derailleur
Race Face Atlas Crank
Avid Elixer Brake
Chromag seat, and bar
Thompson seat post and stem
Maxxis Minnion Tires
etc

Submitted by clk430boi a Weekend Warrior from upper darby

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2010

Strengths:    The bike is tough and just a great ride. Worth every dollar. Climbs great even when the bike weights well over 30+ lbs., but even better going downhill.

Bottom Line:
The bike is great. All the other reviews are spot on and now that I am on one I AGREE! Like all the other reviews if you were to only have one bike THIS IS IT. Save your money and JUST BUY THIS ONE. Worth every dollar.The total cost of the bike was about 6800.

Favorite Trail:   white clay creek

Purchased At:   grenta bikes

Bike Setup:   Sram XO shifters and rear deralliur.
XT front deralliur
Fox 36 Talas 180 RC2
Avid Elixir Cr 180R/203R
Chris King Headset
Easton Monkey Bars
WTB Rocket Seat
Thompson x4 stem
Crankbrothers Joplin R seatpost
Sram rear cassette and chain
Race Face SiXC crank set
Mavic DeeMax wheelset
Maxxis High Roller 2.5

Submitted by hotwheels a Weekend Warrior from North Vancouver,BC,Canada

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Strengths:    Solid, little if any pedal bob. Rear tire digs - no issues braking on bumpy terrain. Goes exactly where you point the front wheel. Adjustable geometry and wheelbase.

Weaknesses:    A tad on the heavy side for lots of pedaling uphill. Short bursts of uphill riding are no problem. However, you forget the slog up when you turn it in the other direction and head back down.

Bottom Line:
This thing is awesome, and the pictures on the website doesn't do it justice. It's vicious in real life.

Yes, you can pedal this uphill. Because the seat post goes all the way through, you can also make it relatively comfortable going in that direction. However, it is not going to be like riding an x-country 4x4 bike. But where I ride, it's not the uphill that I'm concerned with. This thing rules on the downhill and also for short bursts of technical and pedaling terrain. I haven't even touched the limits of this bike yet - it has gotten me out of more than one sketchy situation without a scratch.

Really, the build is of such high quality that it should last years and years. I can't see it being possible to break this frame unless something really bad happens, in which case I'll probably be in worse shape than the bike.

I was lucky and got this one as a demo and saved a couple grand; bringing it down into the price point of the Trek Remedy or Scratch and other good bikes. The full pricing is actually quite competitive when you look at other bikes with the similar specs so go for it, you get what you pay for and won't be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   whatever I'm riding today

Purchased At:   North Van

Similar Products Used:   Trek Remedy

Bike Setup:   SRAM x-9, Sun Wheels, Fox DHX 5.0, Talas front shock

Submitted by jetrenkel a Downhiller from Corvallis, Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2010

Strengths:    Stiffness, build quality, versatility, active suspension under braking/pedaling, minimal loss of pedaling efficiency

Weaknesses:    Some would say weight, but at my size the bike is only a small percentage of my total weight

Bottom Line:
There are so many positive reviews of this bike. In my opinion they are all spot-on. I've ridden a lot of full suspension rigs and this one stands out above all others. Knolly's commitment and dedication to making a fine product is more and more apparent every time I ride.

Out of the box this bike pedaled extremely well. With a bit of patience I tuned the double barrel, and now pedal bob is all but eliminated. Flying down the trail I kept thinking to myself that I didn't know a suspension bike could feel this good. After riding single pivots forever it was so strange to feel the back end keep absorbing hits even under braking.

My Session 10 was the bike I really learned to FR on and I couldn't tell you how many times it saved my ass. This Knolly has a lot of the same qualities without weighing almost 50 lbs. I have cased a lot of landings or come down nose heavy off a jump and the Delirium just seems to say "Its alright, I'll let that one slide."

This bike is heavy, but reliability and kick-ass factor always come at a price. My philosophy is that going up hill sucks and it always will. Why not drag a few extra pounds with you so that the trip down will be truly enjoyable? I have taken this bike on a 33 mile epic ride with an 18 mile uphill stretch. I still had fun even though it weighs almost 39 lbs. On the other side of things, I can slap on the thru-axle drop outs with my DH wheelset and go do some lift serviced riding without feeling the least bit shy. Sure an Intense or something would be lighter, but Intense welds leave something to be desired and I can flex an Intense like a spaghetti noodle. My Delirium makes Yeti, Intense, and other high end bikes look a bit on the cheap side.

I love this bike. I will never sell it. It was worth every dollar I paid for it.

Favorite Trail:   Mary's Peak

Purchased At:   Full Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek Session 10, Yeti ASX, Yeti 303-R, Evil Revolt

Bike Setup:   XL w/CCDB 500 lb spring for my 230 lbs.
Lyrik Coil U-Turn 1.5 steerer w/ firm spring
Cane Creek 110
Thomson

Submitted by 9 renin a Downhiller from New York

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2010

Strengths:    Too many to summarize

Weaknesses:    ummm...the front derailleur cable housing points upwards, allowing in rain/ice/etc

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that by nature I am a skeptical person (i'm a lawyer!). As an example, whereas everyone else on MTBR raved about the new Turner 5-Spot with the DW-Link, I gave it 3 chilis (uninspiring XC bike in my view) and sold it on eBay 3 months after i bought it. So, when I read the reviews on the D-T and decided to get one, I wondered if I would be willing to mar its perfect 5 chilis score if it didn't meet the hype. Well, I'm so happy to say that's not an issue because I am absolutely blown away by this bike!

I expected it to be great going down the steeps, and it's incredible. I can play on steep rocky sections that previously were white-knuckle, hail-mary events on my other bike (Yeti 575, which I love[d]). My brakes pads are going to last a long time because I hardly use them now. And it's so easy to get body english on this bike when jumping, which it does with such ease. And I'm tall (6'2" 180-190lbs, depending on beer/pizza intake), so I really appreciate that I can shorten up the wheelbase on a large frame to make the bike better on the tight stuff.

But I'm almost equally delighted with how the bike excels where I had expected trouble. I thought a long fork and 66-66.5 degree head angle would make the bike difficult to maneuver at slow speeds. Not at all! I crawl through a field of big, jagged rocks and the bike just keeps going, even when i think i surely won't make it. It's like the bike just takes me along for the ride! Many places where I would dab a foot down with the Yeti I just stay upright without any sense of losing balance. Give it some gas and it just doesn't stop, whether you're going fast, slow or in between.

I live in NY and the trails are minefields of rocks and downed trees. I like to grind my way over the trees and here, again, instead of being unwieldy, with the Knolly i'm clearing bigger trees than ever before. Is it because of the superb suspension? The dialed-in geometry? The extra heft? Speaking of that, I almost (see below) never notice it, other than perhaps in a positive light. Right now I'm grateful for every extra gram of weight, because this bike has catapulted me into a whole new league of possibilities and enjoyment.

Climbing? Very good on rocky, steep stuff, but you do feel the weight and effect of the geometry on long dirt/paved road climbs. A tiny, tiny penalty to pay for such incredible performance in every other facet of (aggressive) mountain biking. And of course this is true of any other bike in the D-T's league.

It also carves turns better than any bike I've owned. Maybe b/c I have the stays as short as they'll go.

To me it's like the D-T is the first bike of the 21st century. When I got the frame I showed it to a friend who said, "Makes your Yeti look like a department store bike." And this beauty is more than skin deep.

I'm moving to Slovakia in a month, where the trails range from NY rocky (and then some), to smooth, very fast and twisty. Also bigger jumps and a bike park. I'll review the D-T again after spending a some time there.

To anyone considering getting this bike: start dialing (or hit "add to cart").

Favorite Trail:   The one I haven't yet been on