Knolly Delirium Freeride Full Suspension

Knolly Delirium Entry Kit Complete:The Delirium stands alone as the gold standard to which all other aggressive all mountain and free ride frames are compared. No other product in the market achieves such a perfect balance of full on...

Submitted by Gnarlon Sloap a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2013

Strengths:    Super awesome on anything. I can't beleive how grat this bike is. Manuals easy considering how long it is in the slack setting.

Weaknesses:    Bearings need replacing somewhat often. And that price tag. DAMN.

Bottom Line:
Totally great bike. I've ridden it on supergnar and madflow trails and it slays it all. If you find a used frame for under $1100, GO FOR IT! Super rad.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt Merchant-Samurai Pizza Cat-Afternoon Delight-HOD

Duration Product Used:   1/2 season so far

Purchased At:   bro deal

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign X.

Bike Setup:   RS Lyrik, Fox DHX 4.0, Chromag Fubar OSX, Holzfeller stem, Avid Elixir 5 brakes, Azonic Outlaws laced to Formula hubs, Conti Baron tires, Saint cranks, X5 shifter/X9 mech, E*thirteen LS1+ guide, WTB Devo seat.

Submitted by Jamie Harrison

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2012

Strengths:    The reviews sum up pretty much everything that can be said about this bike. If you love freeriding, jumping, downhill, but also need to include pedaling uphill for health benefits and are in the market for the best overall do it all bike look no further. I take this bike down 800ft then pedal back up 800ft 2 or 3 times a week on my local trails.

Weaknesses:    NOTHING!

Bottom Line:
AWESOME BIKE!

Submitted by bubba13 a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2012

Strengths:    Versatile and has great balance. Frame is laterally stiff (even with a 10mm axle) and pedals amazingly well for a bike with 170mm of travel.

Weaknesses:    Can be difficult to clean all of the nooks around the bottom bracket. Cable routing for a front deraileur could be better.

Bottom Line:
The Knolly Delirium is an excellent frame. It can be built up from an AM machine to DH lite and work extremely well in both uses. The only bike I can really compare it to is the 2011 Trek Scratch that I rode on a demo day. The Trek was a good on rough trail at high speed, but it doesn't come close in any other area compared to the Delirium. I have yet to use this bike to it's full potential and probably never will. For me, this is a heavy duty trail bike that gets plenty of XC mileage mixed in with some days of sane jumps and drops and DH runs.

Purchased At:   Lucky 13 Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Demo ride on a Trek Scratch with a 180 Van RC2.

Bike Setup:   Large frame. Fox Float: Have 160 RLC and 180 RC2. RC4 Shock. Saint, Chris King etc... 1x10 with MRP guide. It all weighs 35 to 37 pounds depending on set up.

Submitted by monstertiki a Weekend Warrior from Corona, Ca

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2011

Strengths:    Versatile, very versatile, stiff frame, plush suspension, can mount a front deraileur, uninterupted seat tube. Easily adjustible shockmount raises bottom bracket and changes headangle. Bike feels very balanced.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little heavy for some, e-type bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome and has definitely elevated my confidence when it comes to jumping taking more aggressive lines.

Favorite Trail:   Mammoth

Similar Products Used:   pitch pro, banshee spitfire

Bike Setup:   float 180 rc2 fit, ccdb, saint, minion exo dhf in front and rear, canecreek angleset -1.5

Submitted by Psycho Mike a Weekend Warrior from Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2011

Strengths:    Doesn't pedal as heavy as it weighs, no flex (and I say this as a solid clyde class rider), does very well going and absolutely slays going down.

Weaknesses:    Weight may be an issue for some (thought the new Delirium is a little lighter).

Bottom Line:
From the 50+ km "shake down" ride to my hitting the local singletrack a lot harder than I used to for hours on end, this bike is proving to me why everyone calls it "the one" bike.

Unless you are racing XC or doing pretty much exclusive DH runs, this bike seems to be able to handle it all fairly well. As a trail bike, sure it may be a tad heavy (but for someone of my size, the added weight is not noticeable)...as an AM bike, it shines and gobbles whatever your legs and brain will allow you to throw at it (or throw yourself off off). For FR and some urban stuff, it does well and for DH, if you're not super big, it'll work until you can get a proper DH rig.

The frame is super stiff and the suspension works extremely well. The result is a frame that inspires confidence in the AM/FR type riding it is intended for. On stuff that my old single-pivot got really sketchy on, this frame has been rock solid.

Favorite Trail:   Ewok Forest

Purchased At:   Private sale (frame

Similar Products Used:   I've owned and tried a number of bikes...some lighter, a few heavier...mostly stuff from Fisher, Trek, Kona and SC.

Bike Setup:   '09 Lg DT, Lyrik u-turn coil front, DHX-A rear (rebuilt by Suspensionwerx), full XT except SLX cranks, 3x10 w/Purely Customs bash...other parts of substance to go with the rest.

Submitted by mortifiedpenguin a Weekend Warrior from SA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2011

Strengths:    strong, inspires confidence, adjustable. climbs and descends better than many bikes built specifically for each respective task.

Weaknesses:    I tire of weight weenies who level undue criticism at this bike. it is one tough AM/FR bike. it is not an XC bike. if you are tough enough to pedal it up hills, it will reward you with excellent efficiency and incredible traction. if you are a 60kg chicken leg then go a single ring and push the thing to the top... Similarly please don't start up about price. ALL boutique bikes cost a fair bit. Usually you get what you pay for. Most certainly in the case of the Knolly DT. Ride it back to back with a stinky and tell me they are in the same league. best mid range bike to compete with it would be a well specced FSR big hit - and even so it will not handle AM duty like the DT.

Bottom Line:
I will ride this until the frame is no longer serviceable. i may own a better DH bike one day. I may own a better XC bike... however.... THIS BIKE OWNS THE AGGRESSIVE ALL-MOUNTAIN SCENE. do the same equations i did: over 30 reviews, average rating is 5/5. There is nothing more to say right? wrong. Repeat for those who need to be told 37 times: If you want a bike that is tough, reliable, confidence inspiring in descents, playful and jumpy, while being stable and ploughish when needed - that can, in addition, pedal like a champ... this is it. please read the other reviews, with the exception of any weight/price comments - I agree 100% Thank you to everyone who helped this bike make production - it has made my riding so much more enjoyable :D

Favorite Trail:   kangarilla/80 acres

Similar Products Used:   its been said before, nothing comes close... a demo or similar has the edge in a descent, a pivot mach 4 should prove easier to pedal up a hill and a 29er will see you pedalling all day and feeling fresher - but none of the afore mentioned can "do it all" in the fashion this bike does.

Bike Setup:   09 Knolly DT large: domain 318 coil, dhx 5 air, 2x9 xt/saint drivetrain, fulrum red zone rims, minion 2.5 DHF F/R super tacky - tubeless. 65.5 degree headangle, 170mm setting at rear, 180mm front, lowest BB setting

Submitted by Luke Fennell a Weekend Warrior from Cranbrook, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2010

Strengths:    Plush, Bottemless Suspension, Corners Amazing, Soaks up jumps and drops amazing

Weaknesses:    Long sustained logging road climbs, a little heavy, price

Bottom Line:
The Seven Summits, Fernie, Nelson (Baldface etc.), Kamloops 3 towers, Harper, Kaslo Suffer Fest, Mtn Seven, North Shore, The Dump Victoria, Mt. Tzouhalem (Duncan), Cumberland, A random DH race in Idaho, Cranbrook Community Forest, Sunpeaks, SilverStar, Kicking Horse, Slayed them all! I was looking for the bike to ride anything and everything in BC, Im pretty sure i found it.
The bike Is better than me and im not sure i will ever push the limits of this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Rio, Kamloops

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Remedy Climbs better but there is no comparison on the way down

Bike Setup:   36 Talas
DHX 5.0 Air
X0 front and rear derailleur
Race Face Atlas Crank
Avid Elixer Brake
Chromag seat, and bar
Thompson seat post and stem
Maxxis Minnion Tires
etc

Submitted by clk430boi a Weekend Warrior from upper darby

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2010

Strengths:    The bike is tough and just a great ride. Worth every dollar. Climbs great even when the bike weights well over 30+ lbs., but even better going downhill.

Bottom Line:
The bike is great. All the other reviews are spot on and now that I am on one I AGREE! Like all the other reviews if you were to only have one bike THIS IS IT. Save your money and JUST BUY THIS ONE. Worth every dollar.The total cost of the bike was about 6800.

Favorite Trail:   white clay creek

Purchased At:   grenta bikes

Bike Setup:   Sram XO shifters and rear deralliur.
XT front deralliur
Fox 36 Talas 180 RC2
Avid Elixir Cr 180R/203R
Chris King Headset
Easton Monkey Bars
WTB Rocket Seat
Thompson x4 stem
Crankbrothers Joplin R seatpost
Sram rear cassette and chain
Race Face SiXC crank set
Mavic DeeMax wheelset
Maxxis High Roller 2.5

Submitted by hotwheels a Weekend Warrior from North Vancouver,BC,Canada

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2010

Strengths:    Solid, little if any pedal bob. Rear tire digs - no issues braking on bumpy terrain. Goes exactly where you point the front wheel. Adjustable geometry and wheelbase.

Weaknesses:    A tad on the heavy side for lots of pedaling uphill. Short bursts of uphill riding are no problem. However, you forget the slog up when you turn it in the other direction and head back down.

Bottom Line:
This thing is awesome, and the pictures on the website doesn't do it justice. It's vicious in real life.

Yes, you can pedal this uphill. Because the seat post goes all the way through, you can also make it relatively comfortable going in that direction. However, it is not going to be like riding an x-country 4x4 bike. But where I ride, it's not the uphill that I'm concerned with. This thing rules on the downhill and also for short bursts of technical and pedaling terrain. I haven't even touched the limits of this bike yet - it has gotten me out of more than one sketchy situation without a scratch.

Really, the build is of such high quality that it should last years and years. I can't see it being possible to break this frame unless something really bad happens, in which case I'll probably be in worse shape than the bike.

I was lucky and got this one as a demo and saved a couple grand; bringing it down into the price point of the Trek Remedy or Scratch and other good bikes. The full pricing is actually quite competitive when you look at other bikes with the similar specs so go for it, you get what you pay for and won't be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   whatever I'm riding today

Purchased At:   North Van

Similar Products Used:   Trek Remedy

Bike Setup:   SRAM x-9, Sun Wheels, Fox DHX 5.0, Talas front shock

Submitted by jetrenkel a Downhiller from Corvallis, Oregon

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2010

Strengths:    Stiffness, build quality, versatility, active suspension under braking/pedaling, minimal loss of pedaling efficiency

Weaknesses:    Some would say weight, but at my size the bike is only a small percentage of my total weight

Bottom Line:
There are so many positive reviews of this bike. In my opinion they are all spot-on. I've ridden a lot of full suspension rigs and this one stands out above all others. Knolly's commitment and dedication to making a fine product is more and more apparent every time I ride.

Out of the box this bike pedaled extremely well. With a bit of patience I tuned the double barrel, and now pedal bob is all but eliminated. Flying down the trail I kept thinking to myself that I didn't know a suspension bike could feel this good. After riding single pivots forever it was so strange to feel the back end keep absorbing hits even under braking.

My Session 10 was the bike I really learned to FR on and I couldn't tell you how many times it saved my ass. This Knolly has a lot of the same qualities without weighing almost 50 lbs. I have cased a lot of landings or come down nose heavy off a jump and the Delirium just seems to say "Its alright, I'll let that one slide."

This bike is heavy, but reliability and kick-ass factor always come at a price. My philosophy is that going up hill sucks and it always will. Why not drag a few extra pounds with you so that the trip down will be truly enjoyable? I have taken this bike on a 33 mile epic ride with an 18 mile uphill stretch. I still had fun even though it weighs almost 39 lbs. On the other side of things, I can slap on the thru-axle drop outs with my DH wheelset and go do some lift serviced riding without feeling the least bit shy. Sure an Intense or something would be lighter, but Intense welds leave something to be desired and I can flex an Intense like a spaghetti noodle. My Delirium makes Yeti, Intense, and other high end bikes look a bit on the cheap side.

I love this bike. I will never sell it. It was worth every dollar I paid for it.

Favorite Trail:   Mary's Peak

Purchased At:   Full Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek Session 10, Yeti ASX, Yeti 303-R, Evil Revolt

Bike Setup:   XL w/CCDB 500 lb spring for my 230 lbs.
Lyrik Coil U-Turn 1.5 steerer w/ firm spring
Cane Creek 110
Thomson

Submitted by 9 renin a Downhiller from New York

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2010

Strengths:    Too many to summarize

Weaknesses:    ummm...the front derailleur cable housing points upwards, allowing in rain/ice/etc

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that by nature I am a skeptical person (i'm a lawyer!). As an example, whereas everyone else on MTBR raved about the new Turner 5-Spot with the DW-Link, I gave it 3 chilis (uninspiring XC bike in my view) and sold it on eBay 3 months after i bought it. So, when I read the reviews on the D-T and decided to get one, I wondered if I would be willing to mar its perfect 5 chilis score if it didn't meet the hype. Well, I'm so happy to say that's not an issue because I am absolutely blown away by this bike!

I expected it to be great going down the steeps, and it's incredible. I can play on steep rocky sections that previously were white-knuckle, hail-mary events on my other bike (Yeti 575, which I love[d]). My brakes pads are going to last a long time because I hardly use them now. And it's so easy to get body english on this bike when jumping, which it does with such ease. And I'm tall (6'2" 180-190lbs, depending on beer/pizza intake), so I really appreciate that I can shorten up the wheelbase on a large frame to make the bike better on the tight stuff.

But I'm almost equally delighted with how the bike excels where I had expected trouble. I thought a long fork and 66-66.5 degree head angle would make the bike difficult to maneuver at slow speeds. Not at all! I crawl through a field of big, jagged rocks and the bike just keeps going, even when i think i surely won't make it. It's like the bike just takes me along for the ride! Many places where I would dab a foot down with the Yeti I just stay upright without any sense of losing balance. Give it some gas and it just doesn't stop, whether you're going fast, slow or in between.

I live in NY and the trails are minefields of rocks and downed trees. I like to grind my way over the trees and here, again, instead of being unwieldy, with the Knolly i'm clearing bigger trees than ever before. Is it because of the superb suspension? The dialed-in geometry? The extra heft? Speaking of that, I almost (see below) never notice it, other than perhaps in a positive light. Right now I'm grateful for every extra gram of weight, because this bike has catapulted me into a whole new league of possibilities and enjoyment.

Climbing? Very good on rocky, steep stuff, but you do feel the weight and effect of the geometry on long dirt/paved road climbs. A tiny, tiny penalty to pay for such incredible performance in every other facet of (aggressive) mountain biking. And of course this is true of any other bike in the D-T's league.

It also carves turns better than any bike I've owned. Maybe b/c I have the stays as short as they'll go.

To me it's like the D-T is the first bike of the 21st century. When I got the frame I showed it to a friend who said, "Makes your Yeti look like a department store bike." And this beauty is more than skin deep.

I'm moving to Slovakia in a month, where the trails range from NY rocky (and then some), to smooth, very fast and twisty. Also bigger jumps and a bike park. I'll review the D-T again after spending a some time there.

To anyone considering getting this bike: start dialing (or hit "add to cart").

Favorite Trail:   The one I haven't yet been on

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Yeti 575 :-)

Bike Setup:   2009 D-T size large, Rock Shox Totem, Fox DHX RC4, SRAM X.O./XTR mix, AMP adjustable seatpost, Hadley hubs (12x135mm thru axle) with Stans Flow rims built up by Dave Thomas of Dave's Dream Wheels, Kenda Excavator 2.35 tires (excellent!), Chromag Lynx saddle, etc etc

Submitted by evilbeaverhoodriver a Downhiller from Oregon

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2009

Strengths:    ohh that's what lateral rigidity is supposed to feel like...

Weaknesses:    A little heavy, but there's a lighter version now.

Bottom Line:
I love this ride! I'd always bring a DH sled on my Canadian trips to ease my fears and exhaustion from sustained steep, rooty, rocky trails or the onslaught of the bike park's maze of continual braking bumps. I brought the Knolly Delirium-T for the all mountain riding but thought I'd try it out in the park. It was so fun to ride I never rode the DH bike. The lighter stiffer bike rode so much better, faster and easier I was all smiles and was able to air further, descend cleaner, and spent less time pedaling to keep my momentum. Seems like the best DH trails require a pedal or push to get to but on the Knolly it was no problem and there was no sacrifice on the steeps for riding a bike with 2 less inches of travel.

Favorite Trail:   War and Peace...Greenstone Mtn.

Purchased At:   Discover bikes

Similar Products Used:   Norco six-1, Norco team DH, Speacialized big hit, P-1, Specialized enduro, Kona stinky delux, Rickety mtn. slayer, green stump jumper

Bike Setup:   saint, sram, marz 66, Roco WC

Submitted by El Gringo Guapo a Downhiller from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2009

Strengths:    Awesome suspension, very laterally rigid, and feels active under braking. Craftsmanship and quality are very apparent. So much attention to detail in the design.

Weaknesses:    Replacement derailleur hanger is expensive, especially if you're running the 135x12 version; seat tube angle on models prior to 2010 can be down right dangerous if you don't drop the seat ;-)

Bottom Line:
This has become my favorite bike of all time. I have a stable, but ride this more than any other. Next season, I will be retiring my Dirt Bag in favor of a V-Tach. The bike is that good.

Favorite Trail:   No Joke

Purchased At:   Drop n Zone

Similar Products Used:   Transition Dirt Bag, Preston FR (broke), Versus, Specialized, Morewood

Bike Setup:   Fox TALAS 36, Elixer CR, Saint Cranks

Submitted by cvcolomb a Cross Country Rider from Bellingham, WA, US

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    Beef. Suspension design. Pedaling efficiency, without a lockout front or back I have zero bob. Stiff laterally like an I-beam, stays engaged to the trail like a tractor.

Weaknesses:    Went on sale 10 days after I picked mine up ;-p

Bottom Line:
I'm a big guy, 225 when I'm in shape & I do sets of squats with my body weight. I could crank pedals on my Santa Cruz SL on flat ground until the frame flexed enough to get the rear tire to rub (in fact I'd worn a hole into the chainstay, went through 3 rear triangles & one frame on that SL in 4 yrs). I've broken every frame I ever owned, and not by crashing.

The Delerium-T is a godsend. I didn't know what I was missing by not having a laterally stiff bike, now that I do it's worth every single ounce of weight. As others have noted here, this bike climbs a lot better than you'd think (mine comes in right @ 39 lbs). Still, i'm never going to be the first guy to the top of the hill, you will notice the weight on a steep climb. You'll also be able to make that steep technical climb however, the suspension is SO GOOD on this thing that the tires engage the trail like nothing I've every seen. I have climbed technical slopes on the DT that I couldn't get up on my 28 lb Superlight, simply because this bike digs in and grabs hold and doesn't bounce you around. Even with that travel and no lockouts, I have zero bobbing while climbing, impressive.

One solid example, I'm used to riding about 40 psi in my tires to get traction and a little extra plush right? I've been riding the DT with 55 psi in the tires and it has way more grab than any bike I've ever been on, even when braking downhill or bouncing off sharp baby-heads. Very nice to have that buffer against pinches and not feel like I'm shorting myself on traction.

I've been to the factory and talked to Noel (and customer support is another outstanding advantage of Knolly Bikes) and I was relieved to see the guy who designed the bike was even bigger than I! He also knows what he's doing, I have a background in CNC software and a degree in Physics so I was ready with some questions for Noel -- he handled them all with ease and a big grin. When I had questions about my build I dropped him an email & 1 hr later I had 4 paragraphs explaining my options in exquisite detail. If I'd never talked to the owner this bike would still make me a fan, between the excellent response and superior knowledge of single-malt whiskey Knolly has quickly become the most impressive bike company I've ever dealt with.

I just got back from riding for a week in the Entiat & Methow valleys here in WA (also HIGHLY recommended). Not really downhill, more XC but with some big, serious technical spots. I was able to keep up with lighter guys on lighter bikes, and the Knolly's ability to hold a line no matter how skinny or convoluted that line is made for the most enjoyable week of riding I've had since I discovered Moab 15 yrs ago. Such a pleasure to hammer into a creek filled with big rocks and have the bike just suck it all up and go.

Are you 160 lbs and ride urban trails with your girlfriend on weekends?? Then this bike isn't for you. Can you afford it and do you need some beef?? Then don't worry about the weight and buy this puppy. Best bike EVER for big guys and/or burly rides when you still need to pedal up the hill. Highly recommended, very happy, two shift levers up ;-]

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on now ;-]

Purchased At:   Different Bikes, Nor

Similar Products Used:   Riding MTB for over 2 decades, never owned anything I'd call similar to the DT.

Bike Setup:   Fox DHX & Van fork. Race Face cranks, Avid Elixirs, Chris King hub & headset.

Submitted by UpFront bikes a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide Australia

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Strengths:    Burly, takes big hits drops jumps etc, but still climbs like a bike half it's weight. The welds and build quality are excelent. It also has an easily adjustable head angle.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a bit heavy but light for almost 7 inch travel.

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike I have ever ridden! The moment I rode it I loved it, it's no lightweight, but pedals like an xc bike, jumps like a BMX and DH like a rocket!! Plus freeride fun +++. About as close to a do it all bike if you are a big fella and like to go hard.

Favorite Trail:   Bartagunyah Melrose SA