Jamis Parker III Freeride Full Suspension

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

Submitted by dmancan a Downhiller from Squamish, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2008

Strengths:    Light, nimble, extremely easy to control in wide array of situations

Weaknesses:    I want a more adjustable rear suspension. The Weirwolf Tires and Crank Brothers pedals were the weakest link in an otherwise strong components package. I busted the pedals in two days of riding and had 4 flats in one day. Upgrade those pieces.

Bottom Line:
I’ve now ridden my Parker III about 10 times at Whistler, doing jumps, drops, roots and trails which are designed for DH bikes. I've ridden it XC.I've given this bike a full workout and have my two cents.

I’ll give the bad first: the stock WTB Weirwolf tires are too thin and despite pumping them up I was continually getting pinch flats. Ok, I can hear people saying your landing flat, casing, etc. but that’s not the case. Whistler has lots of gnar and the sidewalls were just not thick enough to hold up under constant abuse. I'd also add that their stickiness is middling at best and I had just as much confidence in them holding onto off-camber rock or roots. I changed to Maxxis Ardents and I’m blown away with stickiness and therefore my confidence on anything Whistler lays before me.

Next, the Crank Bros. pedals looked capable and classy but sucked ass for hard riding. I lost a number of the pins then broke them in 2 rides. I threw them in the trash where they belonged. From the outset, they provided so little grip to my foot and I was in constant fear of loosing the pedal. Do yourself a favor, remove the pedals immediately and either get them replaced by the bike shop or sell them on eBay to some city rider.

I’d also have to say the the rear Float R has taken some time to get used to. I don't know much about adjusting air shocks so I did my homework online and the setup CD. With their instruction I found I was being bounced off my pedals. I tried less air, slower rebound, more air, screwed with the rebound and FINALLY I’ve got it right. I’d say to set the shock up as per the instructions then let the tiniest 'pff' of air out. I've adjusted the rebound speed and now get a decent ride out of the rear end.

To this point I've basically talked about parts and not performance. That's because I've felt comfortable almost from day one of purchase. With the changing of the parts mentioned I would fully endorse this bike as a replacement to a big full suspension monster. I was looking for something more 'BMX' style for Whistler without tying myself to a park bike like a 'Bass.' I feel I got what I was looking for, plus I've had a number of kids say I have a 'rad' bike. What more could my ego ask for?

Over the last couple weeks I've had a chance to take the Parker III XC in the Squamish area. People say this is an 'awesome' cross over bike but that's a stretch. I found with lowering the U-Turn forks, heightening the seat I could get decent performance on the trails but not even in the same galaxy as my Specialized Enduro which is truly 'awesome.' Only slight inclines necessitated me standing to move the bike forward, but at least I was riding up and not walking. I'd say it's passable for all-mountain, but the Parker is now my lift-assisted ride.

So, the bike is solid. The 15.5 is a good size for my 5.8 height, 180lb weight. I’ve ridden almost every double black diamond on Whistler, yesterday on Lower Joyride, and the bike is holding up well.

As for jumping, she likes to fly. I’ve blasted down ALine and Dirt Merchant a few dozen times and can really go big. Of course, with the 5.5 inch suspension you have to be more smooth, but I feel it's making me a better rider and forcing me to flow.

The bike is a lot different from my last full suspension bike, but I haven’t sacrificed the confidence that that bike gave me. The Parker III handles exceptionally well in tight situations, manuals well enough (could be better but I’m used to it now), can go big if needed, and keeps up with any downhill bike albeit without the same smoothness over the washboards.

If you’re looking for a nicely priced, flickable, tough, distinct looking, freeride bike without the weight of a DH tank, this could very well be your bike.

Favorite Trail:   Original Sin to Fatrcrobat to Freight Train to Side Show to *Hidden trail* to Joy Ride

Purchased At:   Private sale

Submitted by Trialsin Machine a Downhiller from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2008

Strengths:    Suspention sucks up everything. You feel comfortable hitting any jump, drop, or technical line. The Lyric fork has tons of adjustment. Good geometry for tricks, downhill and throwing the bike around.
Can adjust the geo with fork and seat height to ride trails, or dh.
Good weight for the category its in.

Weaknesses:    Gearing is setup for more freeride/dh. I still made it up most of the mountain though ;p
The rear suspention isn't set up for climbing either.
The bike is listed as 35lbs on the site but is actually more. Mine came with lighter tires on it and it is 36 lbs. So in reality its 2 lbs more.
The Hayes stroker trail get lots of fade on a good downhill too.
Weirworlf tires are "in the middle" in terms of performance.

Bottom Line:
All round do it all bike. I've been searching for a bike like this for a long time, and its finnaly here.
Awesome for bike parks, DH, trails, DJ's, and any other kind of freeriding.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list

Purchased At:   Hardcore Bikes

Bike Setup:   All stock. Except mine came with weirwolf tires instead of the prowler ss.

Submitted by christian a Downhiller from eagle idaho US

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2007

Strengths:    this bike preforms like a full blow freeride bike that can climb like an XC bike. its ridiculous. you could easily race downhill with this bike. its just that good.

Weaknesses:    jamis thought it would be cool to put xt rear on some crappy sr suntour front on the lower models. this one doesnt matter because its got an e13 up front.

Bottom Line:
bike is amazing. get it. NOW

Purchased At:   Meridian Cycles

Broken Jamis Parker III

Yup, the inevitable happened... I was riding on about 2km/h (yes, 1.2 mph) and braked with my rear. Snap. I am too disappointed with everything to say anything. Hope Jamis is faithful... Just wondering - do I get a new chainstay, my money back, or nothing? How long does the warranty process take? ... Read More »

Jamis Parker III

Thinking about purchasing one to pedal one around on some trails when I'm not riding DH on the weeking. My question is if anyone has any experience pedaling one of these things around on XC/all mountain trails? Im hesitant to get a strictly all mountain bike cause i do want to race some dual slalom ... Read More »