Jamis Dakar Bam 2.0 Freeride Full Suspension

3.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Bigair. Sick drops. Huge descents. Giant gaps. Serious speed.This is yourplayground. ButThis isn’t about being crazy.This is about riding overanything, withThe control and confidenceTo make it stick andThemechanical durabilityTo last. Maybe your friendsThink you’re crazy.Loco. But you haveThe skills andThe gear, and you know better—Tryingit without a BAM…. nowThat’s nuts. With Jamis mp3 suspension matedwithThe position-sensitive damping ofThe Fox DHX shocks,The BAM rideis

Submitted by Topher Jones a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2011

Strengths:    Actually pretty great all around bike. I always say you get 10 points to split between going up hill and going down. I'd give this 2.5 up and 7.5 down. I weigh in at 160lbs with gear and stuff and with propedal and some good trail riding tires, this thing actually goes up pretty well. Bombs like a beast. I take this thing up downhilling no problem. Love it! handles it all with ease.

Weaknesses:    I've heard the frames are weak. Haven't had any problems yet, but am sure it'll end up getting replaced in a couple years. Geometry makes technical climbing pretty difficult, especially if its steep.

Bottom Line:
I got this new for $1400 bucks. I only have the money for one bike, and this thing can really do it all. It bombs like a beast and can go up too, it'll get you in crazy shape for when you use your 25 pound xc bike. I really love it and I think its a complete steal. Also, this is for the 08 freeride version. Completely awesome!

Favorite Trail:   rainmaker, trestle

Purchased At:   jensonusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro expert and sx

Bike Setup:   marz 66, avid juicy 5, fox dhx 4.0, wtb laserdisc fr wheels.

Submitted by mikethebike a Downhiller from ct

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2010

Strengths:    rides decently, can tackle some gnarly trails. Warrantee is decent
***Components***

Weaknesses:    It will break, its just a mater of when
as laterally stiff as a wet noodle
customer service
bottoms out on the seat tube

Bottom Line:
well... put it this way i barley weigh 100lbs i am by no means a hardcore rider. i am now on my 4th frame due to cracking. jamis is decent with the warrantee issues and i have been sen the frames for free.

I know personally of probably 20 of these bike which have failed in the same place(toptube-headtube and the shock mounts) i know one kid who is on his 7th frame and i know that diablo freeride park had to get all new bikes for the rental fleet due to this problem. This is absolutely ridiculous. it is not only the bam that has the problem b, is JAMIS! i personally have broken a Komodo and i have friends that have broken the dakar xc bikes too

Botom line = these bikes are disposable NEVER BUY JAMIS

Purchased At:   Diablo Freeride park

Similar Products Used:   i can thankfully say none!

Bike Setup:   fox 40, full saint,Altus bar, mavic rims,wtb hubs,fox rc4, ect

Submitted by pinhead68 a Cross Country Rider from kelowna, bc, canada

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2008

Strengths:    very powerful downhill, rolls, and drops, smooth and aggressive bike.

Weaknesses:    tough climbing bike, although this is my first time on a freeride and I usually ride a 28lb xc bike

Bottom Line:
I have been riding downhills with guys on my xc and was looking for a good bike to compete with, this bike comes loaded from factory. I rode it and it was amazing, great handling, very smooth and can chew up everyting I was able to throw at it.

Favorite Trail:   vapour

Purchased At:   larrys cycle

Bike Setup:   facotry

Submitted by Roland Hofer a Downhiller from New York

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2008

Strengths:    Perfectly balanced. Good uphill quality for a +40lbs bike. Geometry is more like a freeride/downhill oriented all-mountain bike. Ultrasticky Tires

Weaknesses:    feels heavy in corners - but that may be due to the fact that I just started riding-season. Rear hanger is amongst the most expensive spare parts you can get: $40!!!!

Bottom Line:
The bike is exactly what I wanted! I'm a tall guy (6'6", 185lbs) and I'm very pleased with the length of the bike as it helps a lot going uphill. The uphill abilities of this bike keep amazing me - it is a 40lbs rig but doesn't feel like it. On flat terrain it accelerates reasonably fast. Every part of this bike is high quality stuff (besides the clamp for the seatpost - it just doesn't look right). The frame it bombproof, and the rear-suspension literally sucks up everything (well I bottomed out in the very first ride, but a few adjustments on the shock (air pressure mostly) and no more of that nasty sound. I have the ProPedal set to 7 clicks, which makes a very smooth ride while pedaling. The Totem worked flawlessly out of the box. A few turns for fine tuning (idiot proof - I can tell, I'm one of those "I have no clue how to adjust my Boxxer"). The fork is better than anything I've ever had or tried (Travis, Boxxer, Psylos (yes I'm that old), Monster, Stratos). As I mentioned cornering is not as smooth as it used to be (and still is) on my RM7 but I think that mostly due to the different designs. Downhillwise the Jamis feels way better. Very solid, following every steering input (well, besides the fast close turns). I'm not very into the drop stuff, never went bigger that 4-5 feet, but I' very confident that I will improve that issue of mine on this bike. I'm not sure if it will make me faster rider, but it already gave me a bigger smile - well, it's a new bike, what did you expect?.

Favorite Trail:   Wagrain BikePark Austria

Purchased At:   Bicycle Renaissance

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain RM6/7, Trek Session, Nicolai Bass, Specialized SX Trail II,

Bike Setup:   Stock (look it up on jamisbikes.com)
Maxxis Minion DH F/R 2.5/2.35 3C/40
Sunline Gripps (thick -I got big hands)
And a Chris King 1.5 (Because I want it. Period.)